What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Net neutrality - can anybody explain to me why anyone but large corporations would possibly support this? (1 Viewer)

modogg

Footballguy
I saw mentions of net neutrality in other huge topics, but i couldn't find a discussion about it. I know i am in dangerous land here with this political forum, but i come in with a simple question. This crap dual political system be damned, can anybody on either side of the isle explain to me why the citizens in this country would support the net neutrality rules that are currently being discussed to take away? i have read up on it a bit, and honestly can not see any good reason to do it beside benefit large internet providers and allow them to take advantage of the citizens. There is a good chance i am over-simplifying this, and would love if this thread didn't become a pissing contest, but i would love to hear any argument for the net neutrality push that is currently being worked in underneath other legislation

I've accepted - everything I have ever done on the Internet is somewhere, forever.

Now, just make it cheap - free, like a freeway.

Plus they would prefer features over privacy
It's really not about privacy...at least from an autonomy POV.

The largest issues with this thing are competition related.  Rolling back these laws would allow say Comcast to forbid streaming of X on their network if they chose.  It would allow these companies to charge you different prices depending on the content you consume.  Want to go to google to check your email?  Ok, we're going to limit your throughput to less than what dial up would give you.

Obviously, these are extreme examples, but not really out of the realm of possibility.  The best part is this notion that none of the above will happen because if companies behaved that way, people wouldn't stand for it and leave to go somewhere else.  Guess what?  They can't go anywhere else.  I can't get anything but xfinity where I'm at even though to streets over my friends have Spectrum.  I would imagine that ATT/DTV is foaming at the mouth for this to happen.  They are really the only alternative option a lot of people have, but only if there's a view of the southern sky.

It's really not about privacy...at least from an autonomy POV.

The largest issues with this thing are competition related.  Rolling back these laws would allow say Comcast to forbid streaming of X on their network if they chose.  It would allow these companies to charge you different prices depending on the content you consume.  Want to go to google to check your email?  Ok, we're going to limit your throughput to less than what dial up would give you.

Obviously, these are extreme examples, but not really out of the realm of possibility.  The best part is this notion that none of the above will happen because if companies behaved that way, people wouldn't stand for it and leave to go somewhere else.  Guess what?  They can't go anywhere else.  I can't get anything but xfinity where I'm at even though to streets over my friends have Spectrum.  I would imagine that ATT/DTV is foaming at the mouth for this to happen.  They are really the only alternative option a lot of people have, but only if there's a view of the southern sky.
Yup.  If they want to deregulate then make it an open market.  Allow the consumers to choose.  But as it is now, they're going to take away the regulations with no competition.  And they want to tell us we're "winning".

It's a done deal- no more net neutrality.  Way to go everyone!  USA! USA!  USA!

Special shout out to the poor and middle class people who voted for this administration because they thought Trump would help the little guy instead of the big corporations, even though everyone was practically screaming in their face that they were getting snookered.  Enjoy paying $25 extra every month to complain about kneeling football players on Facebook and stream Tomi Lahren rants on Youtube.

ACLU‏Verified account @ACLU

BREAKING: The FCC just voted to dismantle #netneutrality. This represents a radical departure that risks erosion of the biggest free speech platform the world has ever known.

Special shout out to the poor and middle class people who voted for this administration because they thought Trump would help the little guy instead of the big corporations, even though everyone was practically screaming in their face that they were getting snookered.  Enjoy paying $25 extra every month to complain about kneeling football players on Facebook and stream Tomi Lahren rants on Youtube.
well....if their provider allows it :kicksrock:  

Its amazing how Trump convinced the poor and middle class to vote directly against their own interests. 

The millions of people who clearly voted against their own interests and clearly voted to make their own lives worse will always be one of the most mind-numbingly bizarre things about the 2016 election. 

Cory Booker's promising a change assuming the Democrats take control after the midterms.

Sure hope he's right. 
Can't change a thing unless they either get Trump on board or they cooperate with the GOP to get veto-proof majorities.  I don't know which idea is more laughable, but they're both pretty funny.

This cannot be quoted enough.  Voters who voted them in need to called out.

packersfan said:
The millions of people who clearly voted against their own interests and clearly voted to make their own lives worse will always be one of the most mind-numbingly bizarre things about the 2016 election. 
Not so bizarre if you already knew just how stupid people can be.

packersfan said:
Rational thinking was never part of it

packersfan said:
This isn't anything new, certainly not isolated to 2016.  The states that top the list for government assistance are perennially red states.  They constantly vote in people who want to eliminate their very means of survival.  

Not gonna lie, I really think we just witnessed the death of the GOP today. I don't see how there's any coming back from this. You can call Trump voters stupid or whatever, but at least he gave people an illusion of hope. As this article (https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/16777500/ajit-pai-net-neutrality-republican-politics-whoops) outlines, there was never even an attempt by anybody, including Pai, to make this seem like a good idea. No effort to lie or sugarcoat any of this. They just stepped in and did it. I don't see how they backtrack on this and make a convincing case of it. Even the large majority of conservative voters were against this.

This isn't something that effects our every day lives, this is something that for most of us, effects our hourly lives. GOP may get their laugh here, but it will be their last one as people are going to remember this as they pay out their a## for basic online services the next 2, 3 years. Could be a huge influx of Dems in office 3 years from now.

Not gonna lie, I really think we just witnessed the death of the GOP today. I don't see how there's any coming back from this. You can call Trump voters stupid or whatever, but at least he gave people an illusion of hope. As this article (https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/16777500/ajit-pai-net-neutrality-republican-politics-whoops) outlines, there was never even an attempt by anybody, including Pai, to make this seem like a good idea. No effort to lie or sugarcoat any of this. They just stepped in and did it. I don't see how they backtrack on this and make a convincing case of it. Even the large majority of conservative voters were against this.

This isn't something that effects our every day lives, this is something that for most of us, effects our hourly lives. GOP may get their laugh here, but it will be their last one as people are going to remember this as they pay out their a## for basic online services the next 2, 3 years. Could be a huge influx of Dems in office 3 years from now.
While I agree with you that is what should happen, it probably wont.  Republicans have been doing this stuff to the working people for my entire life, yet here we are.

I hope you're right, but I never count out the propaganda machine that is the republican party, among other things.

I am no expert on this but I just don't see this as the end of the world as we know it that keeps showing up everywhere.  The rules they repealed were from 2015 and the internet did fine in its first 20 or so years without them.  

I am no expert on this but I just don't see this as the end of the world as we know it that keeps showing up everywhere.  The rules they repealed were from 2015 and the internet did fine in its first 20 or so years without them.  
Actually, no.  The rules were put into place because the cable companies were in-fact treating people/companies different and limiting access to whomever they felt they wanted to.

And they "lease" the ground cable from the citizenry (i.e. government) and they are already allowed a monopoly (no competition) in those specific areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go over to The_Donald and witness the Republicans celebrating that they just got screwed over.  It's amazing.
That place is pretty much the grease trap of the internet when it comes to politics.  The dumbest of the dumb.  Imagine an entire board filled with the worst posters here and run by the same.  

And they have no real convictions other than “we must support Trump no matter what!”

Actually, no.  The rules were put into place because the cable companies were in-fact treating people/companies different and limiting access to whomever they felt they wanted to.

And they "lease" the ground cable from the citizenry (i.e. government) and they are already allowed a monopoly (no competition) in those specific areas.
The "it didn't matter the first 20 years" argument also ignores the evolution of the internet.  For the majority of those years when "net neutrality wasn't needed" streaming from sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime and individual television networks didn't exist, and the internet wasn't a part of every home in America . It's like someone 90 years ago saying "We don't need speed limits on our roads.  We went a lot of years without them just fine."

If you need a good explanation for net neutrality, sports/politics blogger Robert Wheel provided one in response to Donnie Jr's request on Twitter. It doesn't focus on consumers because the Trumps don't care about regular people, but otherwise it's very well done. Especially the last tweet.

Do you think the internet and the way we use it is the same today as it was 20 years ago?  I don't know why people keep using this as a justification/rationalization.  It makes no sense.

Just because they have the ability to screw everybody over and make a ton of money doesn’t mean that’s what they’re going to do. They’ll give raises to their employees and make all sorts of innovation, probably do a ton of hiring, and access won’t change! 
Do I need to re-sync my sarcasm meter? :oldunsure:

Users who are viewing this thread