What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So how do we get out of this mess? (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
I don't know about you guys but I have grown so weary of all the divisiveness and infighting in this country.  This isn't the country I knew growing up, and it isn't the country I want my son to grow up in.  I just want it to stop.  I've studied history and politics for the last 40 years and I'm pretty convinced that we are at the crossroads.  Large, democratic, multicultural nation-states are difficult to maintain.  That's just a historical fact.  The current toxic political climate in this country is impossible to sustain, and if we don't do something about it soon the country is going to split apart.

In this forum we have debated each other, fought, and complained about all the problems we face.  But we never really talk about what we need to do to solve the biggest threat staring us right in the face.  So how in the hell do we bring this country together?  Here are a few of my thoughts:

• The biggest problem in my opinion is the media.  They used to be about reporting the facts.  Now they are all about getting people riled up.  Both sides do it, and it needs to end.  The 4th Estate has failed us, and it's high time that we as citizens let them know that.  A good start would be a citizens action group - composed of liberals and conservatives - that hits them where it hurts - BOYCOTTS.  Force them to change.
  • Our Senators and Congressmen suck.  Their primary goal isn't to make the country a better place - it's to get re-elected.  Time for term limits.  Let's get back to governmental positions being public service.
  • Enough with the activism.  It's toxic and unnecessary.  We as a society have evolved.  Americans are a very fair people.  I reject the notion that America is hopelessly racist, sexist, homophobic...  The facts don't back it up.  We have equal protection under law for all minority groups.  Yes we still have some systemic issues to work through, and we can do this if we educate people rather than demonize them.
  • END IDENTITY POLITICS.  By definition it is divisive.  It's contrary to what MLK's end dream was.  It served its purpose and now it is time for it to go.
  • Reject politicians who don't further this goal of bring the country together.  I voted for Donald Trump in 2016 and in hindsight I'm ashamed of it.  Good policies aren't enough.  Character matters.  
What do you guys think?

Easy solution.   Abolish Democrats and Republicans alike, and create at least 5 - 6 new parties.   Partisanship is the problem with this country.  But the chances of this happening is pretty slim.  Money rules everything, and this country was lobbied away decades ago.  

I don't know about you guys but I have grown so weary of all the divisiveness and infighting in this country.  This isn't the country I knew growing up, and it isn't the country I want my son to grow up in.  I just want it to stop.  I've studied history and politics for the last 40 years and I'm pretty convinced that we are at the crossroads.  Large, democratic, multicultural nation-states are difficult to maintain.  That's just a historical fact.  The current toxic political climate in this country is impossible to sustain, and if we don't do something about it soon the country is going to split apart.

In this forum we have debated each other, fought, and complained about all the problems we face.  But we never really talk about what we need to do to solve the biggest threat staring us right in the face.  So how in the hell do we bring this country together?  Here are a few of my thoughts:

• The biggest problem in my opinion is the media.  They used to be about reporting the facts.  Now they are all about getting people riled up.  Both sides do it, and it needs to end.  The 4th Estate has failed us, and it's high time that we as citizens let them know that.  A good start would be a citizens action group - composed of liberals and conservatives - that hits them where it hurts - BOYCOTTS.  Force them to change.
  • Our Senators and Congressmen suck.  Their primary goal isn't to make the country a better place - it's to get re-elected.  Time for term limits.  Let's get back to governmental positions being public service.
  • Enough with the activism.  It's toxic and unnecessary.  We as a society have evolved.  Americans are a very fair people.  I reject the notion that America is hopelessly racist, sexist, homophobic...  The facts don't back it up.  We have equal protection under law for all minority groups.  Yes we still have some systemic issues to work through, and we can do this if we educate people rather than demonize them.
  • END IDENTITY POLITICS.  By definition it is divisive.  It's contrary to what MLK's end dream was.  It served its purpose and now it is time for it to go.
  • Reject politicians who don't further this goal of bring the country together.  I voted for Donald Trump in 2016 and in hindsight I'm ashamed of it.  Good policies aren't enough.  Character matters.  
What do you guys think?
  • We need more of this from folks.  DJT in the rear view mirror.  He's a cancer on this country. Yeah, we were already compromised, but he threw the wedge in further.   So lets not vote for any of his sycophants please. 

What do you guys think?
I mostly agree with your thoughts and list, though I would replace media with social media.  It’s bar none the biggest divider of us all.   There no question in my mind that it’s is a cancer upon our society.  

I don't see any way out of this mess. We're all screwed. The only thing that would solve it is if people stopped believing all the misinformation and holding politicians accountable. I have little faith that will ever happen.

As a bandaid, some serious campaign finance reform. Corporations and unions should not be able todonate. Super PACs should not be a thing. Only individuals that are eligible to vote should be able to donate a very limited to campaigns.

**ctrl c, ctrl v**

Citizens pursuing the truth rather than what they want to believe to be the truth. Citizens making informed decisions based on that rather than what is politically convenient. Citizens holding their representatives accountable when they veer from those 2 building blocks. Only them will actual policy matter. Any talk between now and then is just filler.

Social media is a big part of it.  It let's people say anything they want in the harshest terms possible without any personal accountability to it.
I don't think that is entirely true. Social media posts are subject to defamation lawsuits just as any other speech. But I do agree that social media is a big part of it. The biggest problem is that terrible opinions and lies are amplified and treated as facts.

I appreciate the sentiment. But we begin with a fundamental disagreement. 

1. You say the problem is the media. 
2. I say the problem is conservative distrust of the media. 

I have no doubt that whatsoever that this is a completely honest disagreement. But how can we get past the the current state of affairs if we can’t agree on this very basic point? 

I don’t agree with the premise. Sure, these things ebb and flow, but we’ve routinely had toxic environments throughout our history.

The problem is money. Those who have it and those who don’t.

When those who have it, abuse their position of power, those who don’t will either get crushed by those who do or overthrow those that do. 

The solution is to give those that don’t just enough to shut up. Here’s your TV, your full stomach, a mediocre partner and that roof over your head. 

The political class will not change unless it is forced upon them. 

I think George Carlin said it best 

The upper class keeps all of the money, pay none of the taxes. The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work. The poor are there... just to scare the #### out of the middle class. Keep 'em showing up at those jobs." - George Carlin

I have no doubt that whatsoever that this is a completely honest disagreement. But how can we get past the the current state of affairs if we can’t agree on this very basic point? 

Tim I’m not a conservative and I don’t trust the media.  They are a for profit business and will/are marketing to their audiences.   Because of this they are inherently untrustworthy as profit, not the truth, is their motive.   

The problem is money. Those who have it and those who don’t.

When those who have it, abuse their position of power, those who don’t will either get crushed by those who do or overthrow those that do. 

The solution is to give those that don’t just enough to shut up. Here’s your TV, your full stomach, a mediocre partner and that roof over your head. 

The political class will not change unless it is forced upon them. 

I think George Carlin said it best 
The numbers on taxation don't really match up to that.  It's a good quote, just not baked in truth.

I'm far from conservative Tim. I don't trust any of the big ones. MSNBCNN/Fox. Major national papers. Apparently though, you disagree (or are just oblivious) that big media is about selling.

Tell me, how does a media with profit motive above all else stay 100% true to the facts and unbiased?

JFC.  Do you really believe this is a solely Conservative problem?  We won’t get anywhere unless both sides admit their faults and listen to each other.  I have no doubt that you and the other Liberals on here are good people with good intentions.  We just see things differently based on our life experiences.  Here’s the deal… We are about to destroy this country.  It reminds me of when I went to counseling with my wife.  Our marriage was in danger.  My counselor asked me, “Is it more important to be right?  Or is it more important to save the marriage?”  Nothing is more important to me than saving the greatest country in the history of man.  Stop the blaming.  Listen to each other.  Compromise.  It’s worth it.

Tim I’m not a conservative and I don’t trust the media.  They are a for profit business and will/are marketing to their audiences.   Because of this they are inherently untrustworthy as profit, not the truth, is their motive.   

I'm far from conservative Tim. I don't trust any of the big ones. MSNBCNN/Fox. Major national papers. Apparently though, you disagree (or are just oblivious) that big media is about selling.

Tell me, how does a media with profit motive above all else stay 100% true to the facts and unbiased?
These guys are correct of course

But our hero Tim will be along soon to tell us why they are wrong 

Great post my friend and very good questions. Unfortunately I’m not sure the answer. Personally I have very little tolerance for the extreme ends of the spectrum and really don’t give my time to reasoning with them. Fortunately most in my daily life don’t fall into that category. 

In my lifetime though this election in 2016 was the first one where I saw endless excuses made to not have to accept the election results and all support our country with Russia conspiracies and other excuses for the behavior. If that is now the norm and allowable I’m not sure how we get back to the days of George HW and others where we had our favorites but country came first. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as it’s interesting to get your perspective with a background in history. 

Great post my friend and very good questions. Unfortunately I’m not sure the answer. Personally I have very little tolerance for the extreme ends of the spectrum and really don’t give my time to reasoning with them. Fortunately most in my daily life don’t fall into that category. 

In my lifetime though this election in 2016 was the first one where I saw endless excuses made to not have to accept the election results and all support our country with Russia conspiracies and other excuses for the behavior. If that is now the norm and allowable I’m not sure how we get back to the days of George HW and others where we had our favorites but country came first. Thanks for sharing your thoughts as it’s interesting to get your perspective with a background in history. 
"...this election in 2016..."?  That's either some bad schtick or cave dwelling the last year. 

• We need more of this from folks.  DJT in the rear view mirror.  He's a cancer on this country. Yeah, we were already compromised, but he threw the wedge in further.   So lets not vote for any of his sycophants please. 

🙄 says guy in glass house

"...this election in 2016..."?  That's either some bad schtick or cave dwelling the last year. 
3 posts here and none which address the actual OP.

If DJT is the cancer of this country (your words), then you are the cancer of this topic (my words).

I truly do wonder if abandoning forums like this wouldn't help a ton.

The threads here eventually devolve to the shots about reporting and then a shot at glass house and we have what we have.

It's just so easy to be a tool online. Even here with moderation weeding out the egregious stuff you still have the never ending slap back and forth. 

Where I am encouraged in I see people in real life often have much better results talking from different perspectives. 

Makes me seriously wonder if dropping the forums and encouraging real conversation in person isn't by far better. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Disappointed in the responses this far.  Maybe people don’t see the situation as dire as I do.  I’m always willing to admit I could be wrong.  But ask yourselves this - do you like what this country has become?  And is there anything more important than this?  We’ve got it made as Americans.  Our problems are minuscule compared to what the rest of the world is dealing with. Yet we are pissing it away.  Our founding fathers are turning in their graves.

The threads here eventually devolve to the shots about reporting and then a shot at glass house and we have what we have.

It's just so easy to be a tool online. Even here with moderation weeding out the egregious stuff you still have the never ending slap back and forth. 

Where I am encouraged in I see people in real life often have much better results talking from different perspectives. 

Makes me seriously wonder if dropping the forums and encouraging real conversation in person isn't by far better. 
I’m not so sure about that Joe.  Communication is a good thing.  Even if it is difficult.

Easy solution.   Abolish Democrats and Republicans alike, and create at least 5 - 6 new parties.   Partisanship is the problem with this country.  But the chances of this happening is pretty slim.  Money rules everything, and this country was lobbied away decades ago.  
We don't have a Parliament

This is a fair point, but there is no getting the genie back in the bottle. You close down your forums and there are a million other places to communicate online. Social media and the internet are not going away. I definitely agree that in person conversations are much more civil and constructive.

ekbeats said:
I’m not so sure about that Joe.  Communication is a good thing.  Even if it is difficult.

The problem though isn't that it's difficult. I think it's actually the opposite.

Anonymous keyboard warriors have it so easy to be tools online. There can be value at times with anonymity when a person is dealing with a personal crisis or something. But the positives of anonymity are dwarfed in my opinion by all the negatives it allows. 

I think we'll always be handcuffed when people are tools to each other. And we make that so easy here. 

tymarsas said:
This is a fair point, but there is no getting the genie back in the bottle. You close down your forums and there are a million other places to communicate online. Social media and the internet are not going away. I definitely agree that in person conversations are much more civil and constructive.

I hear you. But I'm not a big fan of the "this bad thing is going to happen in other places so we might as well host it here" thing. 

Also, let's be real. People used to solve their political differences with real swords and pistols. So I'm not anxious to say it's worse than ever. 

I do think this current platform is broken though. 

Joe Bryant said:

ekbeats said:
I agree with ek again.  This place, for all its warts, is bar none one of the best places to discuss difficult topics like politics. It’s far far far less toxic then any other place I’ve found.  

IRL is almost always better for real conversations, though still often very contentious nowadays, but I’ve also found myself doing much less of it over the years.  It used to be the conversations were less passionate imo and more policy based.  Today it seems more emotionally based.  That’s a far harder conversation.  

I agree with ek again.  This place, for all its warts, is bar none one of the best places to discuss difficult topics like politics. It’s far far far less toxic then any other place I’ve found.  

IRL is almost always better for real conversations, though still often very contentious nowadays, but I’ve also found myself doing much less of it over the years.  It used to be the conversations were less passionate imo and more policy based.  Today it seems more emotionally based.  That’s a far harder conversation.  
IMO, it's extremely difficult to converse when after a year, we still have folks believing the election was stolen and Jan 6 was just some bad tourists.  It goes beyond "we'll have to agree to disagree".  Its a mess alright and I applaud @ekbeats for the post. 

I've also found this fascinating.

I've had the good fortune to meet quite a few posters in real life. 

Some posters that on the forums were obnoxious and condescending and abrasive. Basically, folks that would be the last people I'd want to have a beer with. And 99% (I'm no I'm not telling the exceptions ;)  ) when I met them in person, they were awesome and incredibly nice and fun to be around. I was shocked the first dozen times. But now just expect when I meet someone in person that they'll be great. 

tymarsas said:
This is a good example of why we will never get out of this mess. People are more interested in dunking on people from the other side then actually discussing the problems and trying to solve them.
Not at all.  He wanted serious answers to a unsolvable problem.  You illustrated my point.  People are too entrenched with their the other guy is the problem excuse. 

People need to take social media less seriously  Quit embracing social media “celebrities”

People need to not get so hung up on the feelings of a few people that complain about everything  

Term limits. Two terms in Senate. 4 terms in House.  Remove dark money from both parties. Retire from Supreme Court at 75.   Require personal finance and constitutional classes in high school. Bring back law and order against looters, criminals and violent protesters. 

Get to know people that think differently. One of the goofiest things I saw on here were people that would disavow family and friends that voted for Trump  Most of us are just pawns on the chessboard   

As the song says: “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.”

IMO, it's extremely difficult to converse when after a year, we still have folks believing the election was stolen and Jan 6 was just some bad tourists.  It goes beyond "we'll have to agree to disagree".  Its a mess alright and I applaud @ekbeats for the post. 
And you can’t fathom that’s how the other side thinks about the RUSSIA! wonks?

Term limits. Two terms in Senate. 4 terms in House.  Remove dark money from both parties. Retire from Supreme Court at 75.   Require personal finance and constitutional classes in high school. Bring back law and order against looters, criminals and violent protesters. 
Yes, absolutely yes, to all of this. 

Pretty sure you can’t find that here either, but it’s a cool sound byte from those on the far left taking shots. 

Probably not here because the flat earth demo (18-34) runs much younger than the forum poster demo, which is why I said IRL.  

Not at all.  He wanted serious answers to a unsolvable problem.  You illustrated my point.  People are too entrenched with their the other guy is the problem excuse. 

People need to take social media less seriously  Quit embracing social media “celebrities”

People need to not get so hung up on the feelings of a few people that complain about everything  

Get to know people that think differently. One of the goofiest things I saw on here were people that would disavow family and friends that voted for Trump  Most of us are just pawns on the chessboard   

Thanks for responding to the topic of the thread. I agree with all the things that you mention in the bolded. It's amazing on how much we agree when people talk about the issues rather than the posters.

Thanks for responding to the topic of the thread. I agree with all the things that you mention in the bolded. It's amazing on how much we agree when people talk about the issues rather than the posters.
Many of us agree on core issues, but agreements don’t sell subscriptions or create clicks.  People want their Dirty Laundry.  

I wish politicians would focus on the middle ground first and the lunatic fringe last, but the latter is sadly the priority.  

great thread, but unfortunately I'm skeptical that we will pull out of this any time soon because the people with the power to enact change are the same ones causing the problems you listed.

asking the common man from all sides to come together to unify and look forward seems impossible at this point.

ekbeats said:
Disappointed in the responses this far.  Maybe people don’t see the situation as dire as I do.  I’m always willing to admit I could be wrong.  But ask yourselves this - do you like what this country has become?  And is there anything more important than this?  We’ve got it made as Americans.  Our problems are minuscule compared to what the rest of the world is dealing with. Yet we are pissing it away.  Our founding fathers are turning in their graves.
Ideas won’t solve the problem. Action will. Be it political or physical. Ideas can lead to action, but most of the time its wasted air. 

Also, let's be real. People used to solve their political differences with real swords and pistols. So I'm not anxious to say it's worse than ever. 

I do think this current platform is broken though. 
This is exactly right. January 6 demonstrated that with better planning, better people and knowledge, the whole system could have been changed. For better or for worse. Maybe thats an idealistic take. Imagine people who knew what they were doing when marching into the Capitol. For all the outside noise on both sides, you can bet both parties were frightened at how close this got to meaningful change and blood on the floor. IMHO the system is flawed. Would the military have done anything if senators and reps were killed by those willing to die for change? The right leader of a movement like this and it succeeds. Action like January 6 or the more difficult successful political movements are the only solution. Voting out something like Apartheid by those that benefit from it is incredibly rare. Same with the political class.

I dont want to see a siege on the Capitol succeeding, but change has to come. Doesnt mean its a change for the better. Fixing the political system is almost impossible without willing actors on both sides. 

It’s not unsolvable, but are people willing to pay the price? Whatever you think about January 6, they took risks, maybe unknowingly. They are political prisoners. Maybe they deserve to be locked up, maybe not. I am willing to listen to arguments, but they at least attempted to break the flawed system.

It is no surprise that people elected Donald Trump, a total outsider to politics. They are sick of getting screwed over by the system. He had an opportunity to do what no President gets. A clean slate. Didn’t work out, but people want someone to go in there and smash heads. Just not on one side of politics. 

I hate to say it, but the Democrats aren’t achieving anything. They are too busy fighting each other and then theyve got 30-40% of the other side who wouldnt give them credit for solving world hunger. Change can only come from Republicans. They will almost always unite behind their leader. 

Abolishing term limits is not the solution. Experience is needed to pass legislation and do things correctly. The problem is the people getting these positions accept dark money to do their bidding for them. Honesty, Integrity and the ability to compromise. That’s the kind of people you want. They can stay as long a s is necessary. If someone is unwilling to compromise on anything, well they are useless to getting things done. 

Users who are viewing this thread