What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (3 Viewers)

There was some reservation Chicago wouldn't use him much, but I got the distinct feeling Cohen was a big part of their offensive plans when he didn't play in week 4 of preseason. The 3rd preseason game was also interesting in that he hardly played at all, which is typically the game the regulars play the most. I believe they simply wanted to keep Cohen under wraps once they knew what they had.

With competent QB play, there's going to be plenty of touches for both Howard & Cohen. They're essentially the whole offense now. It'll be interesting to see if Cohen can keep up his production once teams start keying on him. His usage had to be a big surprise to Atlanta.

I have a bias against smaller RBs in todays NFL, but Cohen was one of the few small RBs I've given high marks to during my draft evaluations. Going to be interesting to see where his ceiling caps at.

Last edited by a moderator:
 The 3rd preseason game was also interesting in that he hardly played at all, which is typically the game the regulars play the most.
This got my attention big time. I think he got one touch and they removed him, but kept in the other starters.  I thought that kind of treatment was very telling. Also the fact they almost never used him in passing game in preseason, I felt strongly they were trying to keep that under wraps.

Yeah, who knows what the future brings for him. I think the Sproles comparisons could be justified. Fun to watch. I was worried the Bears got another Garret Wolfe, but Cohen clearly belongs in the NFL. 
I was wondering if/when someone would bring him up.

I was about 95% set on taking him and the end of my draft but some guy on here convinced me Kamara was the guy to target. Hope he does something tonight or I will feel bad for not picking Cohen. Think he might be pretty easily hurt. Don't think I'd pay a lot for him at this point.  

I was about 95% set on taking him and the end of my draft but some guy on here convinced me Kamara was the guy to target. Hope he does something tonight or I will feel bad for not picking Cohen. Think he might be pretty easily hurt. Don't think I'd pay a lot for him at this point.  
any reason? I would think getting a new workload like this would potentially lead to increased chances for injury but I don't see much in his history. Don't want to spend a lot if this is a big concern

any reason? I would think getting a new workload like this would potentially lead to increased chances for injury but I don't see much in his history. Don't want to spend a lot if this is a big concern
Probably referencing his size.

true, guy is kind of small... but Warrick Dunn was 5'9 187... This guy is 3 inches shorter and only 7 pounds lighter :shrug:  Kind of big for 5'6 TBH... 

For every Warrick Dunn, there are a lot more Sproles, and Theo Riddicks that have shown they can carry the load for a game or 3 due to injuries, but anything more than that and you will see them wear down and be less effective and have a greater chance of injury. He isn't just short like MJD he is small. Cohen and Howard need each other. 

Just his size is the reason I say that. 

I could easily be wrong. 

For every Warrick Dunn, there are a lot more Sproles, and Theo Riddicks that have shown they can carry the load for a game or 3 due to injuries, but anything more than that and you will see them wear down and be less effective and have a greater chance of injury. He isn't just short like MJD he is small. Cohen and Howard need each other. 

Just his size is the reason I say that. 

I could easily be wrong. 
Thanks guys. Helps a lot... that's the kind of stuff I hope for here! 

Very talented but I also think people are going nuts bidding their entire load on him
What % are you thinking is appropriate? I would like this guy but I agree I don't want to bid everything on this guy... 

Meh I wouldn't base my thought process on "he could get injured." Small sample size, defense adjustments, Bears sucking; they would concern me more. Anyone can get injured. Did people draft David Johnson number 1 overall because he wouldn't get hurt? Did it stop him from getting hurt?

yeah, i feel like we are in 1960's analysis of NFL here, with the idea that he is small, so it is a foregone conclusion that he will get hurt. Yeah he got hit yesterday and seemed fine after every single one of those hits. sure they will add up over a season, but they would add up the same if he was 6'4" 240 as well. i would be worried if he had an injury history, which he does not.

ETA: i would like to see him less on the special teams though, put someone else there

I bet this Cohen can put his feet behind his head. So flexible and fluid. 

Although he is a little indecisive running the ball. His big gainer resulted from a reverse field, which will not work in the NFL 9 out of 10. 

Well I own this guy everywhere (started his thread, so only appropriate).  I'm not the biggest film guy (generally look at metrics first, then watch the film to see if he pops to me, and then trust the evaluations of guys I know know what they're looking at, like Waltman and others), but from the very first time I saw this kid, he jumped off the screen against NFL defenders.  Then the Bears put him under wraps for the last two weeks of preseason knowing what they had.

I said in the initial post that every short guy ever has been compared to Sproles, but in this instance, the comparison really seems to fit.  He is so freaking quick and shifty.  My only concern was the utilization, and that box has now been checked.

This could be a very fun ride  :drive:

I think the talk of 50% is crazy. He's going to have a ton of single digit touch games; Howard is going nowhere. In full PPR I think he's worth 25-30%, in standard I would pass.

I think the talk of 50% is crazy. He's going to have a ton of single digit touch games; Howard is going nowhere. In full PPR I think he's worth 25-30%, in standard I would pass.
Bloom says 50+% this week (FWIW... I believe he had C-Mike at 50% back in his dallas days before he was even activated). A lot of potential to be a difference maker in PPR leagues. Standard I'd pass as well. But if this guy gets 6-10 targets a game, and it works out to about 5-6 receptions a game (for even 30-60 yards), that's at best 12 points a week. IMO that's his floor. Single digit touches (5-6) but in PPR still producing what I would consider a pretty reasonable RB2 and a heck of a flex play. 

I'll go more than I usually do. I play too conservative. What am I saving that money for anyways... RBs in my league are all gobbled up. Chances of scoring a RB like this in my league is rare. I fully expect someone to go 100%. Could be worth it if you're desperate I guess. We are in a PPR league. Many teams are RB starved. I'd say I am sitting fair to good. If I have an injury I'll be SOL for depth, surviving off of Chris Thompson potentially as a fill in bye weeker, which isn't so bad if he can get 5 catches (cohen's floor IMO)

Like I said, every time I read something about him or come in here my bid gets a little higher... I should stop... (as I log onto my yahoo app and increase my bid another 5%)

Bloom says 50+% this week (FWIW... I believe he had C-Mike at 50% back in his dallas days before he was even activated). A lot of potential to be a difference maker in PPR leagues. Standard I'd pass as well. But if this guy gets 6-10 targets a game, and it works out to about 5-6 receptions a game (for even 30-60 yards), that's at best 12 points a week. IMO that's his floor. Single digit touches (5-6) but in PPR still producing what I would consider a pretty reasonable RB2 and a heck of a flex play. 

I'll go more than I usually do. I play too conservative. What am I saving that money for anyways... RBs in my league are all gobbled up. Chances of scoring a RB like this in my league is rare. I fully expect someone to go 100%. Could be worth it if you're desperate I guess. We are in a PPR league. Many teams are RB starved. I'd say I am sitting fair to good. If I have an injury I'll be SOL for depth, surviving off of Chris Thompson potentially as a fill in bye weeker, which isn't so bad if he can get 5 catches (cohen's floor IMO)

Like I said, every time I read something about him or come in here my bid gets a little higher... I should stop... (as I log onto my yahoo app and increase my bid another 5%)
Many teams are RB starved (after 1 week?) yet didn't think to draft/buy Cohen? I get it, we're all always trying to find a gem (particularly at RB) but I am continually surprised when I hear people talk about going 100% of their budget on a guy they didn't even think to take a flyer on in their draft/auction.

Many teams are RB starved (after 1 week?) yet didn't think to draft/buy Cohen? I get it, we're all always trying to find a gem (particularly at RB) but I am continually surprised when I hear people talk about going 100% of their budget on a guy they didn't even think to take a flyer on in their draft/auction.
We have short benches... so most RB2s are not drafted (aside from handcuffs). 

For instance, a guy in my league has Melvin Gordon, AP starting and Doug martin, L Murray on his bench... Another guy has Lamar Miller, Gillislee, Hill, Stewart... CJ anderson, Perkins, Kamara, West, J. White on another team

IMO those teams are what I'd call "starved" at RB... They are starrting some pretty bad people at RB2 with low upside and/or their bench is just awful. 

My WW includes Carson, Cohen, C. Thompson, Bernard, Buck Allen, Blount, Washingtion and Richard

Having only 5 bench spots, and 2 of those on most teams being a RB... doesn't leave a lot of stash guys like Cohen. I should probably do a better job of drafting heavy at RB just for these circumstances, as I usually carry 4 RBs and 5 WRs. Maybe I should switch those numbers and carry 4 WRs

For instance, a guy in my league has Melvin Gordon, AP starting and Doug martin, L Murray on his bench... Another guy has Lamar Miller, Gillislee, Hill, Stewart... CJ anderson, Perkins, Kamara, West, J. White on another team

IMO those teams are what I'd call "starved" at RB... They are starrting some pretty bad people at RB2 with low upside and/or their bench is just awful. 

My WW includes Carson, Cohen, C. Thompson, Bernard, Buck Allen, Blount, Washingtion and Richard

Having only 5 bench spots, and 2 of those on most teams being a RB... doesn't leave a lot of stash guys like Cohen. I should probably do a better job of drafting heavy at RB just for these circumstances, as I usually carry 4 RBs and 5 WRs. Maybe I should switch those numbers and carry 4 WRs
My bench is 1 WR and 7 RBs.  Sounds kinda like yours ought to be like that too.  Stash your two or three favorites of the guys you listed.

My bench is 1 WR and 7 RBs.  Sounds kinda like yours ought to be like that too.  Stash your two or three favorites of the guys you listed.
Yeah that's my plan. Especially with Diggs doing quite well. We start 2 WRs so I at least have to have 2. I may try to package 2 just to upgrade and then worry about bye weeks when there's bye weeks with the WW

Hear ya.

Just out of curiosity, who are you leaning toward dropping as you place your bid on Cohen? Any inkling as to which players will be the drop as the other owners pursue the winning bid on Cohen?

Hear ya.

Just out of curiosity, who are you leaning toward dropping as you place your bid on Cohen? Any inkling as to which players will be the drop as the other owners pursue the winning bid on Cohen?
Eddie Lacy most likely. Or Brandon Coleman. 

I imagine some of the RBs I listed above may be dropped... I think as people deal with injuries and byes my WW will have some decent RB3/4s available. Most of the time people drop WRs though. Every year I say I'm going to just wait on WR and go nuts at RB, and every year I can't help myself and I grab some WRs earlier. 

Our FAAB is $200 of REAL money.  Most guys never bid more than $5 of $7, but there's always a $20 bid or two early. I'm debating whether that should be me this week on Tarik Cohen. UGH. I lost David Johnson and have Duke as his backup. I'm in a pinch.

Our FAAB is $200 of REAL money.  Most guys never bid more than $5 of $7, but there's always a $20 bid or two early. I'm debating whether that should be me this week on Tarik Cohen. UGH. I lost David Johnson and have Duke as his backup. I'm in a pinch.
That seems like a crazy system.

I thought of taking a flyer on Cohen,but didn't bc of the presence of Benny Cunningham who the Bears signed to help fill the passing back role. If Cunningham wasn't signed by the Bears or injured before the draft,I would have taken Cohen. Sucks now I have to pay for him. I'm going no more than 40% of my budget on him. I do like Cohen a lot in ppr. No reason he doesn't catch 5-7 balls a game.,Plus his 7-9 touches running the ball and possible TD each week. 7-9 Td's  this year is realistic too,considering the Bears have NO PLAY MAKERS on that team.They will find ways to get Cohen involved as much as possible and design more plays for him in that offense especially after losing White and Cunningham. Now I talked myself into maybe using 45 % of my budget....  You snooze you lose.

I think Cohen is a great pickup as an explosive player who will be heavily targeted in the receiving game.

Given your situation, Cohen may well be a $20 bid. But have realistic expectations. He's in a timeshare and will be dependant on those receptions for production. He is not a feature back who will replace DJ (who, let's face is, is irreplaceable)

ya migh also want to throw a couple dollars at Buck Allen, hoping that between the 2 one emerges as a reliable weekly starting option. It will also average out that bid (e.g. $21 on Cohen, $7 on Allen, you're bidding $14 a player which seems a bit easier to digest) 

good luck. 

FAAB deadline approaching... any consensus on what % people are putting into their bids? 

There seems to be people who think anything above 30-35% is outlandish

What about the other side? Are there people bidding 50? 55? 65? 

Talk me down here... I've been upping my bid all day  :unsure: :bag: :toilet:

Users who are viewing this thread