What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI (1 Viewer)

I got him as a throw in late last year and had a roster spot to keep him in dynasty but maaaaan all this knee stiffness is making me re-think that roster spot now. Would have rather seen him at least participate in some form in mini-camp..... :kicksrock:

Bears placed Tarik Cohen (knee) on the PUP list.

Cohen is still recovering from the torn ACL he suffered in Week 3 of last season. Following previous reports that Cohen has been dealing with stiffness in his knee, this move doesn't come as a major surprise. Still, with Damien Williams now in Chicago and David Montgomery showing well as a receiver last year, we could see Cohen brought along slowly in his recovery. Cohen shouldn't be considered a lock to be active Week 1.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

, David Montgomery

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Jul 25, 2021, 5:14 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Bears coach Matt Nagy suggested Tarik Cohen (ACL, PUP) was “weeks away” from being activated.

This is just the latest in a string of bad news for Cohen, who remains on the PUP list after tearing his ACL in Week 3 of last season. Cohen reportedly dealt with knee stiffness during minicamp, and the issues appear to have no end in sight. At this point, his Week 1 availability seems like a real question. In the meantime, Damien Williams will serve as David Montgomery’s backup with sixth-round rookie Khalil Herbert slotting in as Chicago’s RB3.

SOURCE: Mark Grote on Twitter

Aug 3, 2021, 1:44 PM ET

Bears placed RB Tarik Cohen on the Physically Unable to Perform list with a knee injury.

Cohen is out for at least the first six games of 2021. This isn't a surprise considering he missed the entire preseason. There is still no timetable for Cohen's return as the electric pass-catcher tries to work his way back from the ACL injury he suffered in 2020. In the meantime, Damien Williams will serve as David Montgomery's backup and perhaps get some work as a receiver. Rookie Khalil Herbert will fill the RB3 role.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

, Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Brad Biggs on Twitter

Aug 31, 2021, 6:10 PM ET

Looks like he will not play this season. Turns 27 this summer and hasn’t looked good since 2018. 

With Montgomery and Herbert both under contract is Cohen worth a roster spot in dynasty leagues anymore? 

Looks like he will not play this season. Turns 27 this summer and hasn’t looked good since 2018. 

With Montgomery and Herbert both under contract is Cohen worth a roster spot in dynasty leagues anymore? 
I would still consider him worth a spot in dynasty, yes. But it's no longer an obvious "yes".

Bears released Tarik Cohen. 

Cohen is still recovering from a horrific 2020 knee injury that kept him sidelined for the entirety of 2021. The Bears released him after he wasn't able to pass a team physical. An electric pass-catching back before injuring his knee, Cohen's goal, per ESPN's Adam Schefter, is to be ready for the start of the 2022 season. We'll believe that when we see it. As recently as 2019, Cohen served as a decent PPR option, catching 79 of 104 targets for the Bears. He was the 11th highest scoring running back in PPR fantasy leagues in 2018. Cohen, 26, should land on a roster in free agency. 

RELATED: 

Chicago Bears

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 11, 2022, 12:16 PM ET

Unsigned free agent RB Tarik Cohen injured himself during a workout he was broadcasting live on Instagram.

It appeared to be a pretty serious injury, with an audible pop. It could very well be (and has been speculated by many to be) an Achilles tear. Cohen was released by the Bears in March and trying to rehab to find a new NFL fit after a 2020 ACL tear sidelined him for the entirety of 2021. 

SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter

May 17, 2022, 2:10 PM ET

This is really tough to hear about for Tarik because I had just read this long piece he wrote last week which really makes you step back and realize what some of these players battle through and now this today. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/tarik-cohen-mental-health-nfl-football
Oh man oh man I really wish I hadn't read that.   This just went from "well I guess I can drop this dude from my fantasy team" to repeating gut punches.   I feel so bad for him.

Oh man oh man I really wish I hadn't read that.   This just went from "well I guess I can drop this dude from my fantasy team" to repeating gut punches.   I feel so bad for him.
Same.  

Been wondering if he would be able to get back to play this year, and then to see the injury on Twitter--after he's had so much lost time.  Just brutal.  

THEN I came across the story.  Absolutely unbelievable all that he's been through.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports RB Tarik Cohen suffered a ruptured Achilles' tendon while working out on Tuesday.

Cohen was streaming his workout live on Instagram when he suffered the injury. He missed all of the 2021 season because of a torn ACL he suffered in Week 3 of the previous year. The slew of injuries could bring Cohen's career to a close and will certainly keep him off a roster for the foreseeable future. Cohen was one of the league's elite pass-catching backs before 2020, catching 203 balls for 1,534 yards in his first three seasons. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

May 17, 2022, 8:36 PM ET

I accidentally watched this as it popped up in my feed. Didn’t know what I was watching until it was too late.

(don’t scroll down if your squeamish)

I never knew it literally makes a popping noise when you rupture your achilles. Man I wish hadn’t watched that; cannot unhear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad. Yeah, guys I know who've ruptured it before say they looked around for a split second thinking something around them popped or shot off before they realized it was their leg. 

Panthers special teams coach Chris Tabor said the team plans to give Tarik Cohen more work in practice.

Cohen was signed to the Panthers’ practice squad earlier this month, but hasn’t played in an NFL game since 2020. The former Bears running back has been held back by a series of knee injuries while away, but could have a chance to factor in on special teams and offense for the Panthers as he gets more reps under his belt. Cohen doesn’t have any fantasy relevance until we see him in regular season action. Even then, it’s possible his comeback story outweighs whatever he does from a fantasy perspective.

I'd love to see him make the 53-man roster, and have an opportunity on the field again. Below is an article that was in the local paper this past week.

Tarik Cohen comeback bid brings him to Carolina Panthers​

The journey back to the NFL isn’t quite complete for Tarik Cohen.

Once a standout at North Carolina A&T, Cohen emerged as a key runner and kick returner for the Chicago Bears. Injuries took his promising career off course, but the path was re-established when the Carolina Panthers signed him to the practice squad. But that’s not his ultimate destination.

“I don’t feel like I’ve reached a mountaintop yet,” Cohen said Saturday. “Putting on the pads was another stepping stone in the right direction. But putting those pads on, it just reminded me of where I used to be in terms of being a main guy on the team.”

Currently, Cohen isn’t expected to suit up when the Panthers face the New Orleans Saints in the home opener on Monday night. He was on the verge of not being on an NFL sideline at all.

Cohen, a native of Bunn in Franklin County, splashed onto the scene at North Carolina A&T. By the time he was done in Greensboro, Cohen had set a record in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference with 5,619 rushing yards, breaking 17 records at A&T along the way. He was the first MEAC player to be awarded three conference offensive player of the year honors and being selected first-team All-MEAC four times.

One moment that stands out in his football life is a viral video in which he caught footballs while doing backflips. Cohen later caught two passes while doing a backflip.

He was picked by the Bears in the fourth round of the 2017 NFL Draft, making him the first Aggie drafted in 12 years. It was the earliest an A&T running back had ever been taken in the draft.

While he was with the Bears, Cohen had a strong rookie year as a running back and kick returner, and made All-Pro as a punt returner in 2018 after leading the league with 33 returns for 411 yards. Things were looking up.

He played three full seasons with the Bears, but he tore his ACL during a punt return in 2020, and he missed the entire 2021 while recovering from that injury. Cohen was released by the Bears during the subsequent offseason. Suddenly, things weren’t so rosy and they were about to get worse.

The Sporting News reported in 2022 that, in the midst of a training session that he was live-streaming on his Instagram account, Cohen was performing a drill that entailed backpedaling and then exploding forward to work on his change of direction skills. As he pushed off, he fell to the ground in pain and grabbed at the back of his right heel. He had torn his Achilles tendon, and the comeback was, at the very least, in peril.

“I went through all the emotions, went through everything mentally, just as anybody else would on the outside looking in,” Cohen said. “I thought about retiring, thought about not playing again. That was where I had my mind made up and I really thought I was never going to come back and play.”

On the verge of ending his career, hanging out with his girlfriend, Jasmine Gray, and son, Carter, rejuvenated him.

“Being with them every day, just seeing myself get back into my athletic feels, training, running around with my son, I just felt like I can still do it, and I just feel like I kind of owe it to my son to give it another shot so he can see me in that phase of my life,” Cohen said.

The next goal for Cohen is to make the 53-man roster and make his presence felt for the Panthers. It’s that day when Cohen will feel his comeback is complete, and there’s one thing that will confirm it.

“When I score a touchdown across the pylons,” he said. “When I cross that pylon, I think that would be a good marker for being on the track where I want to be, being the athlete that I was, being the player that I was, trying to get the ball in my hands and making something explosive out of it.”

And when that moment comes, Cohen has an idea of what might happen.

“I think I’m going to let the tears roll,” he said. “It’s going to fall down (from) my eyes, but I’m ready for whatever emotion happens.”

Users who are viewing this thread