What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (1 Viewer)

Kevrunner said:
Just binged watched both seasons on Netflix, absolutely shocked how good this was compared to what I was expecting.  Really enjoyed the road trip they took Tommy on (sad to here that the actor passed away not too long after).  
When they announced the show back in '17, I thought it had no chance of being good, but I was all-in because I adore the franchise.

I couldn't believe how good season 1 was.   Then figured they would be hard pressed to continue to have success in season 2 and they really made a good season there as well.

I just took advantage of my last "Work from Home" day and binged season 1 

And It was surprisingly very good.  Do I dare take my chances on on Season 2?

Forgot this was even out until a buddy said something. Through six episodes this is insanely better than I ever thought it would be. Love the blurring between the good and bad guys. 

I love how they keep showing how out of touch Johnny is with the current  times. "What's wifi", "You have reached the smartphone voice mailbox of Cobra Kai" and my favorite "are Trapper Keepers still cool?"

I enjoyed 2 except the ending
I felt the same way.

The brawl was just completely over the top and kind of ridiculous.  These kids, especially the Miyagi students who aren't sparring,  were beating the holy hell out of each other.  Kobra Kai would have wiped the floor with them under the circumstances.

Also, the Kreese thing was just weird. The dude was homeless, and now he had the cash to buy out the dojo?

Finally watched this, now that it's on Netflix, and really enjoyed it (but, like others, a bit iffy on the last episode of S2). 

I was looking through the actors other stuff and the guy that plays Hawk was also the voice of gil on bubble guppies.   Bubble guppies is a little kids show my then 2 year old son watched years ago.   Thats just kinda funny

I was looking through the actors other stuff and the guy that plays Hawk was also the voice of gil on bubble guppies.   Bubble guppies is a little kids show my then 2 year old son watched years ago.   Thats just kinda funny
I recognized him as Kirby Buckets, a kids show my son used to watch a few years ago.

need2know said:
I recognized him from a Disney channel movie my kid watched several times called The Swap.  I was reminding her of the movie and she asked if it was Peyton List who was in Cobra Kai.  Said no the guy from the movie.  Then the next episode comes on and Peyton List (Tory) shows up.  Too many of these kids are in shows she has watched.

Watched it. It was pretty good. Ralph Macchio isn't a very good actor (along with a few of the other cast members). The show works best during the Johnny Lawrence focused scenes, the rest is kinda meh. I'd rather the show was just about him with the rest of the stuff getting much less emphasis. But I suppose they're somewhat attempting to appeal to current day teens in addition to those of us who were teens when the original movie came out.

The best subplot to me is Hawk. Anything he does is directly on Johnny's head. He's going to be the main antagonist in season 3.

Johnny broke him down and rebuilt him in the old Cobra Kai image. His defeat at the championship and at the end of season two will burn him up and he and Tory are the perfect students for Kreese: bitter and lonely.

Also, eventually the 80's nostalgia gets a little old. Even for me. I mean, look at my avatar here, and I'm saying this.

need2know said:
Yeah it didn't fit in with the rest of the shows at all
I have to disagree, once Kreese was introduced this was being foreshadowed. He kept saying they were going to war and that is what happened. Bobby and the other guys warned Johnnie that Kreese was not to be trusted, and sure enough he burned him.[\spoiler]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree, once Kreese was introduced this was being foreshadowed. He kept saying they were going to war and that is what happened. Bobby and the other guys warned Johnnie that Kreese was not to be trusted, and sure enough he burned him.[\spoiler]
I assumed he meant the school stuff? 

Even with what you put in in the spoiler, that seemed a bit much even for this goofy show.  

Watched it. It was pretty good. Ralph Macchio isn't a very good actor (along with a few of the other cast members). The show works best during the Johnny Lawrence focused scenes, the rest is kinda meh. I'd rather the show was just about him with the rest of the stuff getting much less emphasis. But I suppose they're somewhat attempting to appeal to current day teens in addition to those of us who were teens when the original movie came out.
Yeah, I think the show is great when it's focused on Johnny and making us feel for him and see things through his eyes about the events of the previous movies.   They did a good job with that.   It could easily just mostly be that.   However, I think they made the mistake of going more the traditional movie sequel route where they feel like they have to go over the top and introduce all the characters from all the movies.   Adding in Kreese, the other Cobra Kai boys, and the person that we are evidently going to get in S3 based on the final shot... IMO it just bogs it down.   What's next - Bad Boy Mike Barnes and Terry Silver in S3?   Kumiko is going to show up at Larusso Auto?  

Yeah, I think the show is great when it's focused on Johnny and making us feel for him and see things through his eyes about the events of the previous movies.   They did a good job with that.   It could easily just mostly be that.   However, I think they made the mistake of going more the traditional movie sequel route where they feel like they have to go over the top and introduce all the characters from all the movies.   Adding in Kreese, the other Cobra Kai boys, and the person that we are evidently going to get in S3 based on the final shot... IMO it just bogs it down.   What's next - Bad Boy Mike Barnes and Terry Silver in S3?   Kumiko is going to show up at Larusso Auto?  
I would love to see silver and Barnes show up.  Why the hell not.  Barnes was badass

I would love to see silver and Barnes show up.  Why the hell not.  Barnes was badass
I explained above. Shows and sequels try to ramp stuff up and try too hard to touch on every character from the past too often, and IMO to the detriment of the product.  I had fun with first season, #2 was ok, but it's on a fairly short leash.   The KK sequels were junk for the most part, so no need to rehash those again.  

I mean there are some seriously cheese ball moments and lazy writing but it's still fun.  Only thru season 1.  

I recognized him from a Disney channel movie my kid watched several times called The Swap.  I was reminding her of the movie and she asked if it was Peyton List who was in Cobra Kai.  Said no the guy from the movie.  Then the next episode comes on and Peyton List (Tory) shows up.  Too many of these kids are in shows she has watched.
Samantha Larusso was from Frienimies with Zendaya and Bella Thorne. 

Agree with everyone on this page. When it came to Netflix I started watching and just finished season 2. 

Really enjoy it. 

Really loving this. Binging as many episodes per night as I can. Still in season 1, no idea which episode. Particularly great because I just finished all three karate kid movies with my nine year old. Realized about two episodes into this unfortunately that it was off limits for her....

Really loving this. Binging as many episodes per night as I can. Still in season 1, no idea which episode. Particularly great because I just finished all three karate kid movies with my nine year old. Realized about two episodes into this unfortunately that it was off limits for her....
You didn’t watch The Next Karate Kid?!?

Started watching this due to this thread.  I can't believe how good it is.  I thought it would just be a nostalgia fest with no plausible story but they did a great job coming up with a story line that works.  Johnny is the most interesting character.  We never knew too much about him in the movies.  He was just the villain.  In this show he's still kind of a villain but one you can have sympathy for due to the complexity of the character.  Up through S1 EP8 so far.  I'm glad to read that it continues to be good through.  Thanks for the heads up.

I'm with you.  The turn was somehow too quick for Robbie to go from thief/thug to guy worthy of me rooting for.  And they gave me 8 episodes of really rooting for Miguel.. and then I'm supposed to dislike him because he got drunk one night...    no one watching wanted robbie to win, end up with the girl, etc.   And maybe that's the brilliance of the writing.... remains to be seen.
So I just watched the first season, so this is where I'm at.  Miguel should be the hero here.  I hope Robbie gets a redemption story.  I hope Johnny becomes a good dad and Daniel admits he was over the top.  But mainly I want his spoiled kid to get taught some manners.  Very good first season, I hope the figure at the end of season 1 doesn't ruin it.

So I just watched the first season, so this is where I'm at.  Miguel should be the hero here.  I hope Robbie gets a redemption story.  I hope Johnny becomes a good dad and Daniel admits he was over the top.  But mainly I want his spoiled kid to get taught some manners.  Very good first season, I hope the figure at the end of season 1 doesn't ruin it.
This whole turn thing (Have only watched S1 at this point and likely will go watch the movies again now) seems an artifact of them not knowing for sure if there would be a second season.

i am a little worried about this.  Haven't started Season 2 yet, but people seem generally ok with how it went.  I mean a story of "bullies suck, you nerds are really cool" can really only last so long.  There needs to be friction there.  

From reading some of the discussion on season 1 in the media and other places, it's as if the original movie wanted to show Daniel as a little more rough needing redemption and Robbie was the re-edit of that story to fit the narrative that was intended in the first movie.   Robbie to me was the weakest acted role of all the kids so it was hard to get past that, he spent most of the time with a blank stare and he had very little actual dialogue for the screen time he got.    I find him easy to cheer against.

The great thing about this show, is that (aside from he who will not be named *spoiler*) there are no true bad guys.

Johnny and Daniel are both "good" guys in their own way. So are Robby and Miguel, but they also have shades of grey and do "bad" things. It's more nuanced than I expected from a show like this.

Can't wait for season 3 as I'm expecting some big "new" (read: old) faces. 

Users who are viewing this thread