What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (3 Viewers)

Just finished it.  You have to be crazy not to take advantage of the free trial to watch this, especially if you saw the original in the theaters 34 years ago.  Macchio and particularly Zabka make this work so well.

Outstanding series.  I had low expectations and they crushed them...   only sub-plot I didn't care for was "Robby" somehow becoming the good guy to "Miguel"'s bad guy at the end.  Miguel was the Daniel LaRusso in this story more or less

Mike Barnes confirmed with Martin Kove for season 2....   that should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the left turn in the final act was to turn the formula completely on its head. The bullied kids who finally find their confidence end up becoming bullies themselves. Johnny’s redemption story is untlimately unfulfilled as Cobra Kai ends up looking a whole lot like the Cobra Kai of old, and there is no reconciliation with his son who is now Daniel’s prize pupil. Daniel appears to be playing the heel for much of the series and then morphs into Miyagi in the end. The boy doesn’t end up winning the girl.  I can appreciate that they went in an unconventional, non-formula and ambiguous direction down the stretch. But it did end up affecting my enjoyment of the conclusion. When there are no good guys or bad guys, who the heck do you root for at the All Valley?

I felt conflicted at the end as well.  Despite MIguel aligning with Cobra Kai, his story was one we were rooting for the entire way through the show.  We were mostly rooting against Robbie...  even when he was training with Daniel in the traditional Miyagi fashion I wasn't rooting for him.. i felt like he was taking advantage of Daniel.  As soon as Miguel started binge drinking at the party you could tell he was going to ruin things with Sam... but the audience was guided to hope that he would get redemption in the end... and instead he wins the tournament... but they take him to a darker place when he wins in a somewhat dirty fashion..  so he's left feeling unsatisfied that he didn't win the girl.. we're as an audience left somewhat confused on how to feel.  Even Johnny is tugged into a weird place because his student is against his son and he's experiencing firsthand the negative sides to his teaching.   All very clever in my opinion because there were so many sides to every person.   The only thing that seemed weird was Daniel's son being just a fat gaming #######

Very well done.  They had the opportunity to go cliche` but instead chose to add depth to it.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Do people not have YouTube?  Or are you simply trying to avoid the cost?  Because you can sign up for a free one month trial of YouTube Red to watch the series. Then cancel and you’re charged nothing. That’s what I did.

Mr. Ham said:
Same.  But can anyone defend why we should invest in Red?  What else is there? Canceled and will figure out what to do when next season comes out.  
Not much for content, but Red eliminates all ads during videos, allows downloads (e.g. spool up a bunch of videos for a flight), and does something with music that I'd never use since I prefer Spotify. Probably not worth 10 bucks a month unless you are a heavy user.

So then put it on the free youtube with ads....

I'm not signing up for something just to watch this.

GET OFF MY LAWN

we just finished it and we all enjoyed it.  Like others, the ending seemed a bit off (the heel face turns for Miguel and Robbie did not work for me).

Sabka was fantastic

Cobra Kai makes much more sense after you watch this Daniel LaRusso is the real bully
I was thinking of this classic video which has been posted about 20 times now when watching the series.  There was one scene in particular where the writers of Cobra Kai lifted heavily from this video, specifically the scene where Johnny explains to Miguel how things went wrong for him in High School and how he lost Ali.

I hope they dont go where they appeared in the last episode. Like it much better when the lines were blurred. 
I think/hope it is going to continue to be blurred.

My guess is that Kreese is going to try and corrupt Johnny into going back to his old ways and when that fails, Mike Barnes will enter the story, maybe setting up their own dojo as competition.

I really hope they don't turn Miguel into a full blown heel because that would suck imo.

NewlyRetired said:
 Like others, the ending seemed a bit off (the heel face turns for Miguel and Robbie did not work for me).
I'm with you.  The turn was somehow too quick for Robbie to go from thief/thug to guy worthy of me rooting for.  And they gave me 8 episodes of really rooting for Miguel.. and then I'm supposed to dislike him because he got drunk one night...    no one watching wanted robbie to win, end up with the girl, etc.   And maybe that's the brilliance of the writing.... remains to be seen.

The heel turn at the end shouldn't have been quite out of left field as some are saying.  He was basically doing what he was taught.  I think it was more important (which they did) to show how it weighed on Johnny as another poor choice in his decision making.

As far as Kreese.......it was truly an awesome nerd moment......but I don't see how they not make kind of cringe worthy in Season 2.  

I was thinking of this classic video which has been posted about 20 times now when watching the series.  There was one scene in particular where the writers of Cobra Kai lifted heavily from this video, specifically the scene where Johnny explains to Miguel how things went wrong for him in High School and how he lost Ali.
I just finished the series last night. When I got to this part, I was cracking up. There's no other explanation for that scene other than that it had to have been inspired by that video. I wish Johnny had said, "I was defending myself, as is my legal right." 

By the way, Johnny's ex is played by Diora Baird, whom I was pleasantly surprised to discover was on the cover of Playboy in 2005 and had a pictorial inside. I just want to express my concern for any lower-back problems she very likely has, and that it's my sincere wish she is getting proper treatment. 

I watched the first two episodes and loved it.

Never singed up for Red.

Can you still get a 30 day trial? If so....#### it. I want to watch the rest.

So I’m 3 in. Didn’t watch it before because the idea sounded so dumb.  However.  This.  Show.  Is. Awesome!!!!   Had me laughing out loud at certain spots like when grandma hears in him in his room and thinks he’s beating offf.  The acting is very very good. The blond dude is a good actor.  I’m totally in for the whole ride.  

If you haven’t given this a shot get past your preconceived notions and watch this show. It really is fantastic.  No joke. 

So I’m 3 in. Didn’t watch it before because the idea sounded so dumb.  However.  This.  Show.  Is. Awesome!!!!   Had me laughing out loud at certain spots like when grandma hears in him in his room and thinks he’s beating offf.  The acting is very very good. The blond dude is a good actor.  I’m totally in for the whole ride.  

If you haven’t given this a shot get past your preconceived notions and watch this show. It really is fantastic.  No joke. 
Might be the most pleasantly surprising entertainment I’ve ever watched.  Literally thought it was going to be a spoof...

Might be the most pleasantly surprising entertainment I’ve ever watched.  Literally thought it was going to be a spoof...
So did I. That’s why I never watched it. I mean what a dumb idea. But it works. It really is very entertaining TV. I wonder if the critics liked it as much as most here seem to.  

Three episodes in. Just okay. 
At 3 episodes in I was feeling like I was going to be disappointed with the season after I loved season 1 so much.

By the end I was blown away..  so many emotions.. plenty of drama and twists and turns.

They succeeded at being entertaining and making me want more.. and I have no idea where they will go with another season

At 3 episodes in I was feeling like I was going to be disappointed with the season after I loved season 1 so much.

By the end I was blown away..  so many emotions.. plenty of drama and twists and turns.

They succeeded at being entertaining and making me want more.. and I have no idea where they will go with another season
I can’t believe there are people who haven’t watched this show yet. It’s so dang good. 

Users who are viewing this thread