What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (3 Viewers)

I'm hoping Zabka stomps a mudhole in his @zz for like 10 minutes straight every episode.

Just total annihilation.

Sometimes...just sometimes...the bad guy wins.
:lmao:

That would be a great twist - every single episode ends with Daniel-San getting his clock cleaned. 

:lmao:

That would be a great twist - every single episode ends with Daniel-San getting his clock cleaned. 
Last episode has Zabka crush Daniel's knee.

Daniel goes up crane style and instead of going for the win...Zabka just front kicks that good knee.

It folds back like a cheap Wal-Mart backyard chair...as Daniel falls face first down onto that leg...his lips actually pressed against his own foot...audience in the stands vomit and wretch.

Fade to black on Zabka just laughing maniacally as the camera closes in tight on his face.

Last episode has Zabka crush Daniel's knee.

Daniel goes up crane style and instead of going for the win...Zabka just front kicks that good knee.

It folds back like a cheap Wal-Mart backyard chair...as Daniel falls face first down onto that leg...his lips actually pressed against his own foot...audience in the stands vomit and wretch.

Fade to black on Zabka just laughing maniacally as the camera closes in tight on his face.
Now THIS, I would watch.....

I'll give it a try but I have a gut feeling this is going to be incredibly lame (and not in a "it's so lame that it's funny" kind of way).  Would have much rather seen something that teamed them up (taking down pimps and drug dealers with karate one street at a time) or something where Zabka had to pull LaRusso out of the gutter somehow (Zabka cruising for chicks sees a weathered and homeless LaRusso begging for quarters).  The "bitter rivals get older and are still bitter rivals" thing has been done to DEATH and was lame even when done by people way more talented than these guys.
I feel this way when FC And NE respond to my posts after adamantly declaring they are done with me. 

Its more than worth it. Don’t give up on building highways which fools will travel upon.

I'm hoping that Johnny is the plucky underdog in this one while successful Daniel-San goes total heel. 
Latest trailer appears to have a bit of this flavor.  I'm digging it.

It starts off with what appears to have Johnny in the Mr. Miyagi role of sensei to a picked on kid.  But then it gets a bit ambiguous as to whether the reboot of Cobra Kai is good or bad - appears like it might be the kids who are getting bullied who sign up for Johnny's Cobra Kai dojo.

EDIT:  Just rewatched.  The Cobra Kai's definitely seem like the misfits.  I am definitely in.  It will no doubt be cringeworthy, but I'm in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm weirdly psyched for this, especially if they turn Daniel into the heel.  The trailers so far look are a great mix of nostalgia and cheesiness.  I might have to subscribe to Youtube red.

I wanted to goto the april 25th fathom event where they are showing KK1 and the first 2 episodes of Cobra Kai before they are released the next week... but i have baseball tickets that night.

I'm following their youtube page and am liking what they are doing with having Johnny's kid in it.. having the main Cobra Kai and Daniel's daughter be a thing..   

Sure wish that John Kreese was in this somehow though.

It’s out!

Watched the first episode and it was pretty darn awesome. Struck all the right notes if you are sentimental for 80s formula cheese.  Blatant parallels to the opening sequences of the first KK. Great 80s rock tunes. And even a freakin’ montage. First two episodes are free. After that you have to sign up for YouTube Red.  

It’s out!

Watched the first episode and it was pretty darn awesome. Struck all the right notes if you are sentimental for 80s formula cheese.  Blatant parallels to the opening sequences of the first KK. Great 80s rock tunes. And even a freakin’ montage. First two episodes are free. After that you have to sign up for YouTube Red.  
:clap: :excited:

I know what I'm doing this morning.

Watched part of the first episode before bed last night.  Loved it so far, going to watch the full episode with my kids tonight.

Zabka is actually a pretty good actor, not sure where he's been all these years.  The fight scene reminiscent of Mr Miyagi's intro was pretty well choreographed.

Went on a binge and am through six episodes now. This show is freaking awesome. Don’t get me wrong, it’s about as formula as formula gets (and cheesy), but damn if I’m not enjoying the hell out of it. And Johnny Lawrence may be one of my favorite characters in a show in a long while. Just funny as hell. Zabka plays him perfectly. 

Edit it to add:  You can sign up for YouTube Red for free for a month. 

Went on a binge and am through six episodes now. This show is freaking awesome. Don’t get me wrong, it’s about as formula as formula gets (and cheesy), but damn if I’m not enjoying the hell out of it. And Johnny Lawrence may be one of my favorite characters in a show in a long while. Just funny as hell. Zabka plays him perfectly. 

Edit it to add:  You can sign up for YouTube Red for free for a month. 
I was just coming to post about the free month trial. Will be getting to this shortly. So awesome that you're digging it.

Fun series.  Takes a bit of a left turn in the final act.  Well worth a watch for the nostalgia element alone and to enjoy the hell out of Adult Johnny Lawrence. 

Edit to add: Yes, I took a long lunch and watched the final two episodes at my desk today.

Fun series.  Takes a bit of a left turn in the final act.  Well worth a watch for the nostalgia element alone and to enjoy the hell out of Adult Johnny Lawrence. 

Edit to add: Yes, I took a long lunch and watched the final two episodes at my desk today.
No spoilers, but by left turn do you mean bad or just a different direction?

Binged all but the final two episodes yesterday into this morning.  Dude, this is actually really well done, on any number of levels.  An interesting perspective, good characters and I like that everyone is flawed, especially Johnny and Danny. Reasons either can be the protagonist or antagonist, or rather both/neither. Sorta like real life. 

And obviously we men of a certain age will identify with a pretty kick ### soundtrack.

I'm seven episodes in.

Man I really love this show.  Surprisingly well done, one of my favorite series in a long time.

If you were on the fence about watching it, I highly recommend. 

Really curious to hear what you all think about the last couple episodes.
Pretty torn.

I had become pretty invested in Miguel. I think there was probably a more ambiguous way to make his turn. And I really didn't like that Robby came out fully blameless and innocent. Especially since they've tried to be so balanced with the other characters, showing both flaws and redemption. But I like what they did with the other characters, particularly Johnny and Daniel. Daniel's wife was pretty awesome.

Oh and the Kreese reveal at the end was pretty awesome. 

Pretty torn.

I had become pretty invested in Miguel. I think there was probably a more ambiguous way to make his turn. And I really didn't like that Robby came out fully blameless and innocent. Especially since they've tried to be so balanced with the other characters, showing both flaws and redemption. But I like what they did with the other characters, particularly Johnny and Daniel. Daniel's wife was pretty awesome.

Oh and the Kreese reveal at the end was pretty awesome. 
Yeah, the left turn in the final act was to turn the formula completely on its head. The bullied kids who finally find their confidence end up becoming bullies themselves. Johnny’s redemption story is untlimately unfulfilled as Cobra Kai ends up looking a whole lot like the Cobra Kai of old, and there is no reconciliation with his son who is now Daniel’s prize pupil. Daniel appears to be playing the heel for much of the series and then morphs into Miyagi in the end. The boy doesn’t end up winning the girl.  I can appreciate that they went in an unconventional, non-formula and ambiguous direction down the stretch. But it did end up affecting my enjoyment of the conclusion. When there are no good guys or bad guys, who the heck do you root for at the All Valley?

Buckychudd said:
I'm seven episodes in.

Man I really love this show.  Surprisingly well done, one of my favorite series in a long time.

If you were on the fence about watching it, I highly recommend. 
Binged this over the weekend with the wife.  Thought it was excellent.

I'm kinda disappointed we watched it so fast and now there are no more episodes for now.

bigbottom said:
would love to share, but I'm new here and don't know how to do spoiler tags. :bag:  

bigbottom said:

I still enjoyed them, but they seemed markedly different than the previous 8.  There as a tension, and a smartness about things that seemed to lack a little, and a lack of clarity as to how to close this chapter while leaving strings open for the next.

While, as noted, I really appreciated the lack of clarity as to "good guy vs bad guy", the depth of emotion and conflict, and the inability to weave it together in some conclusion bothered me.  Now, if this were episode 6, perhaps not such a big deal, but it was the end of the first season.  Felt rushed, and even still, little resolution.

Still really enjoyed it, but the last two seems off as compared with the previous episodes.

Did any of you get any sense of some kind of inkling as to whether or not Elizabeth Shue will make an appearance?

Did any of you get any sense of some kind of inkling as to whether or not Elizabeth Shue will make an appearance?
Allie is discussed in one scene, but I didn’t get any sense that she’d be brought back in future episodes (if there are future episodes). My guess is that Shue would demand too much money for the appearance in a YouTube series. 

Allie is discussed in one scene, but I didn’t get any sense that she’d be brought back in future episodes (if there are future episodes). My guess is that Shue would demand too much money for the appearance in a YouTube series. 
Although, with the acclaim the series is getting, who knows?  If there's some "fun" aspect to it along with benefits that may accrue in terms of publicity if not salary, I could see a guest appearance or two.

I got my free month last night and just finished the whole season. Loved it! I was disappointed there weren't more episodes. Really fun show. 

Users who are viewing this thread