What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hurricane Irma Roll Call (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
A number of people have said they're staying in the path of this thing.  Thought I'd put up a thread where you folks can check in and let us all know how it's going easily, since we have several days of this coming up and we will want to know that you're alive and well.  I'll update as it goes if people will say who they are.  So far I know for sure the following are staying:

1. @The Ref Checked in 9/12 12:00 am (Lake Worth) - No power but safe

2. @SoBeDad Checked in 9/12 9:30 am (Miami) - Power and all clear

3. @Wingnut 9/12 12:00 am (Lakeland) - Power and all clear

5. @rustycolts 9/10 9:15 pm (Orlando area) expected to be without power and without cell phone - won't hear for a while.

8. @greedygoat 9/13 9:30 am (was Orlando now Boca Raton) - Power and all clear

9. @Osaurus 9/12 6:30 am (was Tampa, now Tallahassee) - Power and all clear

10. @MindCrime 9/11 11:30 pm (Orlando) - No power but safe

11. @The Commish 9/12 9:30 am (Orlando) - Power and all clear

13. @Clown Car 9/11 11:30 pm (Tallahassee) - No power but safe

14. @Grahamburn 9/11 7:30 am (Polk) - Safe

15. @Kal El 9/11 5:30 pm (Lakeland) - Safe

16. @Gianni Verscotchie 9/13 3:00 pm (Fort Myers - went to Orlando) Power and all clear

17. @gump 9/11 3:30 pm (was Tampa, now Pensacola) - Safe

20. @Finatic 9/11 6:50 am (Bradenton) - Power and all clear

21. @got_nugs 9/1110:00 pm (Ft Myers) - Power and all clear

26. @flranger 9/12 1:45 pm (Auburndale) - No power but safe

29. @Todem 9/11 2:30 pm (parkland) - Safe

30. @E Street Brat 9/12 12:30 pm (was Lakeland, now Thonotosassa) - No power but safe

31. @JaxBill 9/11 11:30 pm (Jacksonville) - Power and all clear

32. @JShare87 9/12 1:30 am (Port St Lucie) - Power and all clear

33. @Ron Swanson 9/11 8:30 pm (New Smyrna Beach) - Power and all clear

34. @UncleZen 9/11 10:30 pm (Melbourne, FL) - No power but safe

35. @Captain Cranks 9/11 9:30 pm (Tampa) - Power and all clear

Just check in here and I'll add names and check in times.  Feel free to pm me instead if you'd rather and I'll add check in times.  This storm is going to be nuts.

I will gladly feel silly if this thread is unnecessary. 

From Dedfin:

For any of you that are in need of help recovering from the storm, please go to 

https://www.disasterassistance.gov/

to register with FEMA.  Even if this didn't affect you, please consider that your friends and loved ones that may be affected are probably scrambling just to get their lives together and may not have the extra time (or electricity or internets) and may appreciate you doing this for them.  The counties that are designated for assistance are: Broward, Charlotte, Clay, Collier, Duval, Flagler, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Palm Beach, Pinellas, Putnam, Sarasota, St. Johns.

Last edited by a moderator:
A number of people have said they're staying in the path of this thing.  Thought I'd put up a thread where you folks can check in and let us all know how it's going easily, since we have several days of this coming up and we will want to know that you're alive and well.  I'll update as it goes if people will say who they are.  So far I know for sure the following are staying:

1. @TheRef Checked in 9/6 evening (Dade)

2. @SoBeDad Checked in 9/6 evening (Miami)

Just check in here and I'll add names and check in times.  Feel free to pm me instead if you'd rather and I'll add check in times.  This storm is going to be nuts.

I will gladly feel silly if this thread is unnecessary. 
Common ground. Good post. You're right. This is gonna be a mother. Hope it misses somehow.

Prayers to all in the path of this thing. I have a cousin in Orlando, so she should be ok.

Stay safe all.

Im riding this stubborn whore out in Lakeland, about 25 miles east of Tampa.

I'll be checking in all weekend

Plans in place to evacuate.  I don't really want to, but wife and MIL are eager to do so.

If Irma comes in, as expected, between Savannah and Charleston, we are heading to Atlanta.
If it cuts further inland or stays off the coast, hoping to stay.

Be safe, no. 1 priority. My first impulse was to write something hearty like 'you guys kick that #####'s ###' but reality is you take care of business, get your loved ones, pets, hard drives and memoribilia and go some place safe. Take care, guys.

- Also I'm sure you remembered to get ice and liquor, that my friends is key. 

I'll try to post some photos and videos from Miami Beach if Irma decides to visit.

Biggest problem in Miami-Dade and Broward right now: getting gas. I have a tankful and live where I work, so I'm not concerned. But while traveling to NW Dade and SW Broward I passed about 10 closed gas stations and the 2 that were open had very long lines. In the grocery stores and Home Depot, they stock pallets of water in the morning and it's gone in a few hours. I haven't gone to the stores since Sunday, but I hear that many items are scarce, such as batteries, canned goods, propane tanks, chain saws, generators.  Buy stock in Home Depot.

I helped a couple of female friends put up shutters. The accordion shutters were a breeze.  The galvanized panels in a  2-story townhouse were more challenging as many of the screws in the wall had stripped heads or layers of paint. There's a brisk business in putting up shutters: $30 per hour in one complex and $200 to put up and take down shutters in the 2-story townhouse with four 2nd floor windows, three 1st floor windows and a large sliding glass door. 

As I mentioned earlier, many coworkers are in a panic mode. One got an airline ticket to Montreal and three said they want to travel north, but didn't have hotel reservations or even know where to go. Just north. Some friends and family members who went thought Andrew in 1992 also want to leave town.

I plan to stay put at a dorm-type building on campus with impact windows installed about 8 years ago - they seem to be very strong but have never been tested with hurricane force winds. There's a "mandatory" evacuation in Miami Beach but no law enforcement of the evacuation. All 78 living units are on the 2nd and 3rd floor of a building that sits 4 feet above sea level. My 2nd floor unit is about 15 feet above ground level.  The ground parking lot for the building is only 2 feet above sea level and it floods near the storms drains during October and November king tides. Luckily, there's a parking garage in the next building which will be open before Irma comes.  I'll stay tuned to the weather and could still decide to leave.  But the hospital complex has elevated emergency generators (about 15 feet off the ground) and would be a a priority for FPL in any event. If I do leave, I'll stay with the Warners in Cooper City who always have the best hurricane party.

Hickory, NC here, but I doubt we'll get it that bad unless it decides it likes the path that Hugo took in '89.

Still in Tampa.  Bucs get a bye week.  Staying until it looks like I should not (checking every 2 hours)

In SC about an 1.5 hours away from Charleston (in-land).  My daughter and grandson are in Hilton Head and they're coming up here tomorrow.  Depending on the path forecast on Friday/Saturday morning, they are going to head upstate to Greenville to my MIL's house (5+ hours away from the coast).  I'm staying if at all possible.  My house almost flooded two years ago during a storm and would have had I not been here to unclog street drains and get the water moving.  Will try to avoid a repeat of that if at all possible.  

We are in n fl near tallahassee. I don't expect any major storm trouble unless she goes into gulf. We stay put until after the storm passes and then decide if we need to go somewhere for the return of power. Last year during hermine we were only out for 12 hours, 8 of which were during the storm and we were sleeping. We had friends out for over a week. We should be fine. 

In SC about an 1.5 hours away from Charleston (in-land).  My daughter and grandson are in Hilton Head and they're coming up here tomorrow.  Depending on the path forecast on Friday/Saturday morning, they are going to head upstate to Greenville to my MIL's house (5+ hours away from the coast).  I'm staying if at all possible.  My house almost flooded two years ago during a storm and would have had I not been here to unclog street drains and get the water moving.  Will try to avoid a repeat of that if at all possible.  
You are going the wrong way.  I think the entire upstate is going to get popped pretty significantly  if the track holds. 

We are in n fl near tallahassee. I don't expect any major storm trouble unless she goes into gulf. We stay put until after the storm passes and then decide if we need to go somewhere for the return of power. Last year during hermine we were only out for 12 hours, 8 of which were during the storm and we were sleeping. We had friends out for over a week. We should be fine. 
Good to hear.

Just cancelled work for Monday.  Reloading my bar and the beer fridge on my lunch break today.  I wish the Bucs were playing.  :kicksrock:

There's a great article on Wunderground about storm surge. Miami Beach is not as vulnerable due to deep water close to shore, . Worse case is 7-9 feet, not including waves which can be very destructive to land and buildings. South of Miami is more vulnerable to high storm surge. Burger King headquarters in South Dade had 16.9  foot surge during Andrew. North Florida to south Carolina could have very bad storm surge, 22+ feet in Tybee island for a cat 4 storm.

Is the idea you ask people to write their user name and password to this site on their body? 

Then the morgue attendent checks in?

I am with my daughter in Naples FL right now. Beautiful morning..we were supposed to stay until Sunday night but I was able to switch our flight out of Ft Myers to Friday evening.  My friends we are staying with are hunkering down.  My buddy has been a builder in Naples for 25 years and says his new home that he built 2 years ago is hurricane proof..all brick and concrete with all the heavy duty shutters that protect windows. Has a steel roof on the home that is secured into the brick foundation.   2 generators and enough gas, food and water for a month. Also built on higher ground than most of the places in Naples.

Lives about 1/8 mile from the beach.  If it was only me I think I would like to stay but my daughter is freaking out after watching to hit the islands on TV and my wife is saying to get out.

I am with my daughter in Naples FL right now. Beautiful morning..we were supposed to stay until Sunday night but I was able to switch our flight out of Ft Myers to Friday evening.  My friends we are staying with are hunkering down.  My buddy has been a builder in Naples for 25 years and says his new home that he built 2 years ago is hurricane proof..all brick and concrete with all the heavy duty shutters that protect windows. Has a steel roof on the home that is secured into the brick foundation.   2 generators and enough gas, food and water for a month. Also built on higher ground than most of the places in Naples.

Lives about 1/8 mile from the beach.  If it was only me I think I would like to stay but my daughter is freaking out after watching to hit the islands on TV and my wife is saying to get out.
...they said the Titanic couldn't sink...

It certainly sounds sturdy, but you just never know what's going to happen.  Look at Sandy - some houses survived the wind and storm surge only to burn down after fires started with no emergency personnel around to put them out.

2 generators and enough gas, food and water for a month.
This is the part I don't quite get about all of this.  The storm is going to come and go in about a day.  My brother works for Publix and he's telling me people are losing their minds buying all the canned goods, water, etc.  Do you really need ten cases of water?!

The grocery stores, restaurants, etc. all have generators.  They'll be up and running on Tuesday.  Unless your credit cards blow away in the storm you don't need to start a riot over the last gallon of Dasani. 

This is the part I don't quite get about all of this.  The storm is going to come and go in about a day.  My brother works for Publix and he's telling me people are losing their minds buying all the canned goods, water, etc.  Do you really need ten cases of water?!

The grocery stores, restaurants, etc. all have generators.  They'll be up and running on Tuesday.  Unless your credit cards blow away in the storm you don't need to start a riot over the last gallon of Dasani. 
Ask Houston about that. 

Tampa check in.  Decided to stay yesterday after the wobble right.  Not in a flood zone so concern is wind, power outages.

Users who are viewing this thread