What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ju Ju Shuster suspended for cheap shot. (1 Viewer)

In todays NFL it does not matter where you aim..it is where you make contact.  90% of the bang bang plays that are helmet to helmet are not intentional as players do not want to lose a game day check.  I don`t think Shuster intended to drill Burfict in the head and I don`t think Iloka did it on purpose. 

Watching the NFL Network they seemed to agree that Shuster lined up and targeted Burfict and had more time than Iloka. The NFL agreed.
The NFL Network is owned and paid for by the NFL so of course they are going to agree.  Iloka took 3 full strides after Brown caught the ball and went straight for the head.  It occurred after the catch was secured and TD scored so there was no need for a head shot like that other than to injure.

If you're worried about player safety and you think suspensions will make a difference then Iloka should be sitting this week.  It continues to amaze me how horrible the NFL doles out suspensions -- they almost ALWAYS seem to F them up.

Mike Mitchell is a bit of a jerk but he is right about one thing:  the players association need to get their **** together when they sit down to negotiate the next CBA.

Last edited by a moderator:
In todays NFL it does not matter where you aim..it is where you make contact.  90% of the bang bang plays that are helmet to helmet are not intentional as players do not want to lose a game day check.  I don`t think Shuster intended to drill Burfict in the head and I don`t think Iloka did it on purpose. 
Agreed. 

The NFL Network is owned and paid for by the NFL so of course they are going to agree.  Iloka took 3 full strides after Brown caught the ball and went straight for the head.  It occurred after the catch was secured and TD scored so there was no need for a head shot like that other than to injure.

If you're worried about player safety and you think suspensions will make a difference then Iloka should be sitting this week.  It continues to amaze me how horrible the NFL doles out suspensions -- they almost ALWAYS seem to F them up.

Mike Mitchell is a bit of a jerk but he is right about one thing:  the players association need to get their **** together when they sit down to negotiate the next CBA.
:no:

Had the hit dislodged the ball, it would have been ruled an incomplete pass.  The hit was perfectly timed (a millisecond after Brown caught it and before he had gone to the ground and secured the catch). 

:no:

Had the hit dislodged the ball, it would have been ruled an incomplete pass.  The hit was perfectly timed (a millisecond after Brown caught it and before he had gone to the ground and secured the catch). 
After reviewing the play you are correct, Brown did have the ball secured but only one foot down.  Had iloka's illegal hit dislodged the ball it probably would not have been ruled a catch.  Although it is the NFL we're talking about so you never really know what a catch is.

Guessing you haven't read any articles about the situation. The NFL investigator found the victim to be untrustworthy and found correspondence between her and a friend with her saying she'd get back at him for dumping her and blackmail him. Prior to that she had no injuries, and after that she did. This lead the investigator to recommend no suspension because she didn't believe her version of events.

Could Zeke have beaten her? Yes, it's possible. But it wasn't proven and he wasn't charged.
You are wasting your time explaining facts with this JuniorNB dude. He's an Eagles fan who refuses to let facts get in the way of a good Cowboy bashing.  He's actually comical to read.

I laughed at the title... "suspended for cheap shot" :lol:  

So now a crack back and incidental helmet to helmet contact is considered a cheap shot..... :rolleyes:  

Good luck with that. It's the worst union in pro sports for the biggest sport.  

So now a crack back and incidental helmet to helmet contact is considered a cheap shot..... :rolleyes:  
I agree. Every time I see this thread title it annoys me. Unless we want to start making threads for every penalty that gets called and label each player as a cheater for it.

Blindside blocks are punk moves, always have been.  As bad as sucker punching a guy.

Godsbrother said:
Looking at this video tell me what you want your receiver to do on a play like this?  Should he not block the linebacker for the running back?

ETA: The punk move was not the hit, it was the taunt afterwards
Don't lead with the crown of the helmet and launch yourself

It's amazing we can see such different things when each of us watch that video.  JuJu turns his head and doesn't lead with the crown of the helmet :shrug:  
Many ways to look at it.  Personally I would say no suspension.  That said, I can see why it was considered worse than the over hit.

At 55 seconds in the video it appears that Ju Ju stops to plant his feet and launches himself into the player.  If he walks away, it comes off as a devastating block.  I think by standing over him it comes off as an intent to injure.  

Many ways to look at it.  Personally I would say no suspension.  That said, I can see why it was considered worse than the over hit.

At 55 seconds in the video it appears that Ju Ju stops to plant his feet and launches himself into the player.  If he walks away, it comes off as a devastating block.  I think by standing over him it comes off as an intent to injure.  
I do agree with this part, the taunting makes the situation look 10 times worse.

As reminder to all those complaining about how the league handled this.  The league issues suspensions.  If the players appeal, a former player mutually agreed to by both the NFLPA and the NFL handles the appeal.  Every is going to see things differently and every situation is different.  Judges have discretion in sentencing, police have discretion in issuing warns v. tickets, English teachers have discretion in grading written papers. 

Heck, we'll even have threads about collision or scoring issues here in the Shark Pool where the crowd is split and those should be black/white, yes/no issues, yet we'll have threads several pages long.

That's life.

Next Sunday, a backup linebacker for the Steelers should wait for a play when Brady is on the ground, then dive at him and hit him in the back of the head with their forearm. It's only a 1-game suspension, right?

Don't lead with the crown of the helmet and launch yourself
Stop that video at 0:58.  Head is to the left, shoulder is about to contact chest.  JuJu's helmet is not in line with Burficts.  If he hit the chin it was inadvertent.  There was absolutely no way you can look at that frame and say he was aimed at his head.  As for intent, he blocked the guy most likely to tackle his RB, there isn't time in that situation to analyze who the player is and decide how you are going to block him.  It's a BAM! BAM! reaction and you see a guy and you block them.  As an offensive player who doesn't get many opportunities to really level someone it isn't uncommon to get a bit excited about that and take whatever opportunity you get to decleat someone.  It wasn't some sort of payback for 2015, Juju was worried about Stanford and UCLA and Oregon at that time. 

Next Sunday, a backup linebacker for the Steelers should wait for a play when Brady is on the ground, then dive at him and hit him in the back of the head with their forearm. It's only a 1-game suspension, right?
Only if he's out of bounds at the time.

If the NFL cared about player safety why is Bill O’Brien allowed to coach this weekend? He put a guy who had a seizure back in a game. The hypocrisy of this league is inexcusable.

Also, Jefferson tried to go into the stands after a fan and Michael Bennett started a brawl... 0 suspensions. Patently ridiculous Juju got suspended, but whatever, we got a win. Time to move on as long as we're not screwed over during the NE game.

Loved this pic of JuJu last week.  :football:    The kid has heart and is a hell of a player.  I questioned the pick at the time, not so much against JuJu but for taking a WR that early.   

I was stoopid.  It was a GREAT pick!

Godsbrother said:
Loved this pic of JuJu last week.  :football:    The kid has heart and is a hell of a player.  I questioned the pick at the time, not so much against JuJu but for taking a WR that early.   

I agree...plus Shuster looks so much more polished than Bryant.  Just wish Shuster would have had a piece of Bens 500 yard passing game last week.

steelers1080 said:
Also, Jefferson tried to go into the stands after a fan and Michael Bennett started a brawl... 0 suspensions. Patently ridiculous Juju got suspended, but whatever, we got a win. Time to move on as long as we're not screwed over during the NE game.
You mean Walter Payton Man of the Year Award Nominee Michael Bennett

You mean Walter Payton Man of the Year Award Nominee Michael Bennett
No I think he’s talking about the liar Michael Bennett who dove at a centers knees with the game over last week. The one the NFL ruled as “going for the ball”.

No I think he’s talking about the liar Michael Bennett who dove at a centers knees with the game over last week. The one the NFL ruled as “going for the ball”.
That's Walter Payton Man of the Year Award Nominee Michael Bennett.  Deal with it.

Godsbrother said:

Really hard to not like the kid.  Hopefully he continues with his head on straight. 

I'm keeping him on the bench behind Goodwin and Mike Davis (assuming he heals up). Too risky for me in the playoffs. But it's week 1 of a 2 week playoff, so he could go in next week.

I was just pointing out that he's their nominee, which is funny based on what transpired last week.

Likely rolling with Goodwin over JuJu, as I think he has a higher floor, but I think JuJu might have a higher ceiling in a potential shootout.... so I am tempted to go with him.

I'm leaning toward starting JJSS. It's sort of cliché that Belichick takes away the biggest threat on an opponent offense, and would think that is either A.Brown or Bell. That may create opportunities a QB like Roethlisberger can exploit. Should be a high scoring game also based on the states of these defenses.

I'm leaning toward starting JJSS. It's sort of cliché that Belichick takes away the biggest threat on an opponent offense, and would think that is either A.Brown or Bell. That may create opportunities a QB like Roethlisberger can exploit. Should be a high scoring game also based on the states of these defenses.
Yeah this is probably a good week to start Shuster unless we think BB can just take away every weapon the Steelers have.  

With that lousy D the Hoodie has this time, I don't think he can neutralize any Steeler.

I'm keeping him on the bench behind Goodwin and Mike Davis (assuming he heals up). Too risky for me in the playoffs. But it's week 1 of a 2 week playoff, so he could go in next week.
 I have him and Goodwin in over Mike Davis but if Davis is good to go then Kupp is out.

But sadly it will likely be all for naught as the team I'm playing rolled to a 12-1 regular season and hit on just about every one of his $#%#%@#$@$ picks this year.

I have him and Goodwin in over Mike Davis but if Davis is good to go then Kupp is out.

But sadly it will likely be all for naught as the team I'm playing rolled to a 12-1 regular season and hit on just about every one of his $#%#%@#$@$ picks this year.
Idk, any team can win at any time. I barely won the first 2 weeks of playoffs (we start in week 13) and I have Leveon, kamara, Julio, Mike Evans, Ertz, Fournette. Keep getting outscored at QB and having studs crap the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread