What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

You have to take a day off before the end of January. Which do you choose? (1 Viewer)

Which day would you rather have off?

• The cold day - who wants to go outside when your skin freezes in seconds

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • The warm day - it might be 2 months before you see temps this high

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Let it ride - see if a better day comes along.

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

KCitons

Footballguy
MLK day is a floating holiday for us. (the business does not shut down)  The wind chill today is -20 F. It is expected to get up to 48 F on Friday. There has been some discussion that taking off a day when it's cold, so you don't have to deal with it is the shark move. Others say, take a day off when it's warm enough to enjoy. (48 is the new 85 when you've been living with arctic weather lately)

Which would you choose.

I suppose there is a third, more riskier option. Wait another week for an even warmer or colder day?

I don't think there's much you can do with a 48 degree day in January. If take the cold day if so I wouldn't have to go out in it.

the cold day - i didn't hold out for a brownstone with a parlor fireplace just so i could hang my wet socks on the mantle ...

*cracklin' flame/booze/Chaturbate*

?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can float it to anytime I would hold it until the day after Super Bowl so you don't have to worry about taking it easy during the Super Bowl parties. 

Secondarily, I would always use it to take a Monday off because Monday's always suck and then you come back to a 4 day work week.  Using it on a Friday seems wasted most of the time because Friday's are usually easy days to get through and then you still have to come back to a 5 day week after the weekend is over.

I don't think there's much you can do with a 48 degree day in January. If take the cold day if so I wouldn't have to go out in it.
Here in Minnesota, I would definitely agree.

Though I guess it also depends on what you like to do on your days off.  Me, personally, if I am taking a day where the wife and kids are at school, I like to spend my vacation days on the couch binging on video games.  In that case I would definitely take the cold day.

However, if you are more productive than I am and prefer to spend your vacation day tinkering in the garage on the snow blower, bringing those donation piles to the goodwill, fixing that drafty weather strip on the front door, etc, then definitely take the warm day off.

There's nothing I look forward to doing outside in January in Minnesota as it is rarely nice enough to actually want to be outside and I'm not into snow skiing or ice fishing.

Do i have a shot of playing golf?

If no and I have nothing else planned, I don't care that much so cold day

Take the cold day off. Then, the next warm day, call in sick. Take notes. 

You educate us, and you’ve got your evidence-based decision for next year.

The shark move might be to take off a Wednesday, although I’ve never tried that. 

I would take the Monday after the SB myself 

Do you actually plan to do anything on the day you take off?  Seems like that would be the bigger decider over the weather.
If it was warmer, I would spend a couple of hours outside just because I can.  If it's below freezing, I would sit on the couch and watch tv, or take nap.  Not really a bad choice either way.

Do you predominantly work outside? If I work inside then I take the warm day off. 
About 25% of my work day is spent outside. Which just complicates the decision. Working on a nice day is a bonus. Not working at all on a day where you run the risk of frostbite is just as good. 

You had me at January in Minnesota :X

(Probably as miserable as August in Alabama)

Take the warm day.

belljr said:
Do i have a shot of playing golf?

If no and I have nothing else planned, I don't care that much so cold day

This is kind of where I'm at. If the weather in the week before has been ok (no rain/snow) and you're in a place that tries to take care of the course over the winter, you might be able get a passable round in if its 48 and not that windy.  The problem is it wont be 48 first thing in the morning, so the front 9 would likely be ROUGH.

That's a lot of if's though.  I pretty much never take any PTO in January or February for basically this reason. Lots of time off during the holidays and I take the first 2 days of the NCAA tournament. Now that I'm back at a company that gives us off on both MLK and President's day, I see no reason to use any vacation until it gets warmer.

Weather shouldn't be a factor in this decision.

Whichever night you plan to drink the most, take that next day off.

Think Lambskin nailed it with the Monday after the conference championships.

The shark move turned out to be number three. Wait for a better day. I had a couple of meetings last Friday and today, so I decided to take off this coming Friday. Snowstorm shut things down today. Now I'm looking at a 3 day work week. 

Winning!

Do you have a drop dead date for using it, like 12/31? If not, take it whenever. But, since you've apparently chosen, feel free to ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread