What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Evangelical support of Trump (1 Viewer)

My church helps fund a local charity aimed at helping mothers with counseling, baby supplies, and other needs instead of just saying abortion is bad. On a personal note, I don't want to see abortion made illegal as much as I want to see it rendered unnecessary. Proper counseling, good education, and not putting restrictions on adoptions would all be huge steps in the right direction.
This sort of movement is exactly how i got into donating time to helping people at local resource centers. The first one started as this and in about three years had those services plus financial education,  interviewing classes,  food e.t.c

Been part of organizations like this for 14 years now in four different states

My church helps fund a local charity aimed at helping mothers with counseling, baby supplies, and other needs instead of just saying abortion is bad. On a personal note, I don't want to see abortion made illegal as much as I want to see it rendered unnecessary. Proper counseling, good education, and not putting restrictions on adoptions would all be huge steps in the right direction.
this certainly seems like the best path to common ground, yet we struggle to get there.

In fairness, it is a hot button issue, and people aren't exactly rational about those.
I've decided it's unhealthy to talk about "abortion" in a vacuum.  It really IS only part of the scenario.  I have a TON of people who are screaming "abortion is murder" and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps kid that no one wanted in the first place" at the same time.  As a result, when people start talking about it, I simply ask them if they want to talk about the entire issue or just part and if it's just part, I don't engage.  

I've decided it's unhealthy to talk about "abortion" in a vacuum.  It really IS only part of the scenario.  I have a TON of people who are screaming "abortion is murder" and "pull yourself up by your bootstraps kid that no one wanted in the first place" at the same time.  As a result, when people start talking about it, I simply ask them if they want to talk about the entire issue or just part and if it's just part, I don't engage.  
Speaking strictly from my experience, far too many of the crowd chanting "abortion is murder," only care about ending abortion, but they're eerily silent on ways to help these mothers(and fathers, they're part of this too) avoid this situation. It's not enough to just save a life, we have to help the new family actually live.

Speaking strictly from my experience, far too many of the crowd chanting "abortion is murder," only care about ending abortion, but they're eerily silent on ways to help these mothers(and fathers, they're part of this too) avoid this situation. It's not enough to just save a life, we have to help the new family actually live.
:goodposting:  

I agree with this. But I also want to extend grace on this.

People can have a strong opinion on something. And that opinion shouldn't be diminished because they aren't vocally expressing an opinion on the bigger picture or possible solutions.

Yes, it's great to talk about bigger pictures and possible solutions. But I sometimes see people try to shame others by throwing up additional hoops for someone to jump through before they're willing to give their value value.

I see it personally on the homeless issue. Someone will have an opinion. And someone else will try to diminish them because they're not ALSO actively being vocal about a related issue. 

It's good to be more aware of the bigger picture and talk about solutions.  But it's a tricky balance sometimes.  

Kal El said:
Awesome. I don't see how anybody can really disagree with this approach/viewpoint. 

A huge part of my problem with the Republican pro-life position is that they want to ban abortion but then not allocate the funds necessary to educate the mother and help the child when born. I'm normally for the "you made a decision, you be responsible for the consequences" philosophy to most things but not when there's an actual human involved. 

I am curious though by what you are referring to when you reference restrictions on adoptions. What are you meaning by your phrase "not putting restrictions on adoptions"?

Awesome. I don't see how anybody can really disagree with this approach/viewpoint. 

A huge part of my problem with the Republican pro-life position is that they want to ban abortion but then not allocate the funds necessary to educate the mother and help the child when born. I'm normally for the "you made a decision, you be responsible for the consequences" philosophy to most things but not when there's an actual human involved. 

I am curious though by what you are referring to when you reference restrictions on adoptions. What are you meaning by your phrase "not putting restrictions on adoptions"?
I'm talking about the restrictions against same-sex couples. I know one such couple(who have since split up, but that's not the point), who have adopted children, and they're in a great home. Why would someone not allow children, who need a family, go to a couple who desperately wants to raise children, but can't have children?

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Kal El said:
Can you run for President...please?

Joe Bryant said:
I agree with this. But I also want to extend grace on this.

People can have a strong opinion on something. And that opinion shouldn't be diminished because they aren't vocally expressing an opinion on the bigger picture or possible solutions.

Yes, it's great to talk about bigger pictures and possible solutions. But I sometimes see people try to shame others by throwing up additional hoops for someone to jump through before they're willing to give their value value.

I see it personally on the homeless issue. Someone will have an opinion. And someone else will try to diminish them because they're not ALSO actively being vocal about a related issue. 

It's good to be more aware of the bigger picture and talk about solutions.  But it's a tricky balance sometimes.  
:goodposting:

This is why I ask the question up front about the entire problem.  I don't assume their silence means they are against it.  It could very well be that they haven't thought about it.  However, for those who answer and it's clear they have no interest in talking about the entirety, I just move on.  The most refreshing answer to me is "hmm....I hadn't thought about that" because it gives me more info on where they are and it also tells me they haven't considered something and are still willing to talk about it.

Tolstoy said:
this certainly seems like the best path to common ground, yet we struggle to get there.
It’s not really important to most politicians to do something like this as they are invested in getting those votes.  Abortion as a wedge issue is vitally important to both parties.

Can you run for President...please?
Funny story, I won my school's "When I grow up" speech contest with a speech my mom helped write, where I'd like to be President. Nowadays, I'd rather tangle with electricity. Lex Luthor once said, "Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be president?" Honestly, I like my career as an electrician.

It’s not really important to most politicians to do something like this as they are invested in getting those votes.  Abortion as a wedge issue is vitally important to both parties.
I've found on a lot of issues, a lot more people are closer to the middle ground than they think, and if we all approached things with the idea to try and make it work for as many people as possible.

Funny story, I won my school's "When I grow up" speech contest with a speech my mom helped write, where I'd like to be President. Nowadays, I'd rather tangle with electricity. Lex Luthor once said, "Do you know how much power I'd have to give up to be president?" Honestly, I like my career as an electrician.
*sigh* may be in 4 years it is then...

Not equally important to both sides, imo. All the single-issue voters I know whose issue is abortion...all on the same side, and that side needs them desperately.

Shared with me by my wife - posted on FB by someone she knows.

I am not sure I will ever be able to articulate the betrayal these last few years have felt like watching the church that raised me fall into lockstep with Trump. It is actually shocking. The white supremacy, the brutal anti-immigrant policies, the immorality, the absolute depravity. Every value supposedly held dear - purity, lovingkindness, integrity, humility - turned out to be meaningless when they interfered with a proximity to power.

So many of us feel like spiritual orphans, abandoned by our spiritual leaders and disassociated from the church that once taught us to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God.

It was and remains one of the great sorrows of my adult life.

If Biden is elected, the Christian leaders who threw themselves at Trump & defended his indefensible words & deeds will now be left empty handed. They got their 30 pieces of silver, but they lost their witness, their integrity, & the next generation of the church.

And as I said below to a commenter: This is not a tacit endorsement of Biden. It is grief over the Christian defense and rabid support of Trump. I will never get over it. My kids will never get over it.

Hi @AAABatteries  Two quick thoughts:

I totally get the frustration and disappointment seeing stuff from Franklin Graham and Falwell and such. But I also see a lot of what I think is very reasonable talk from influential Christian leaders like Tim Keller and John Piper and media sources like Relevant. I know it's fun to paint the narrative that every Christian is MAGA hat rally guy but that's years from reality in my experience.

If Biden is elected, the Christian leaders who threw themselves at Trump & defended his indefensible words & deeds will now be left empty handed. They got their 30 pieces of silver, but they lost their witness, their integrity, & the next generation of the church.

And as I said below to a commenter: This is not a tacit endorsement of Biden. It is grief over the Christian defense and rabid support of Trump. I will never get over it. My kids will never get over it.

I know you or your wife are not endorsing the words but if some Christian leaders supporting a presidential candidate one disagrees with is one of the "great sorrows of my adult life" that's a slap in the face to people experiencing real sorrow in their life. That reads like the definition of privilege.

I can think of many things I'd grieve more than people supporting Trump. I believe I will get over it. I believe my kids will get over it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @AAABatteries  Two quick thoughts:

I totally get the frustration and disappointment seeing stuff from Franklin Graham and Falwell and such. But I also see a lot of what I think is very reasonable talk from influential Christian leaders like Tim Keller and John Piper and media sources like Relevant. I know it's fun to paint the narrative that every Christian is MAGA hat rally guy but that's years from reality in my experience.

I know you or your wife are not endorsing the words but if some Christian leaders supporting a presidential candidate one disagrees with is one of the "great sorrows of my adult life" that's a slap in the face to people experiencing real sorrow in their life. That reads like the definition of privilege.

I can think of many things I'd grieve more than people supporting Trump. I believe I will get over it. I believe my kids will get over it. 
Thanks Joe.  I probably should have added some of my own thoughts because what this person says doesn't align completely with how I think.

First, I found many in the church to be hypocritical about politics long before Trump but him being elected just cemented it for me.  I think I'm on record here at FBGs saying that many Christians I know are more interested in being Republicans than they are being Christians.  And none of this is fun for me - it's depressing.  If all Christians actually voted for someone who really represented their values then maybe a 3rd party would be possible.  The problem is, Christians in general have completely forgotten their way.  Show me where Jesus says capitalism is good, show me where he calls for keeping out immigrants, show me where he he wants lower taxes, show me where he thinks America is the greatest country on earth for that matter.  If you believe the Bible, then you believe Jesus came to earth for all people - not just heterosexual Americans who vote Republican.

As for greatest sorrow on their life comment.  I'm not sure it's anybody's place to judge what somebody else finds is their greatest sorrow.  Maybe they've not experienced tragedy in their life - I don't know.  I mean if I were to list the greatest tragedies in my life, my parent's divorce, Trump and the Falcons blowing the Super Bowl would be my top-3 most likely.  I've lived a charmed life.  It's fine if you don't like her phrasing but she seems personally aggrieved at what has happened and in that regard I'm right there with her.  And it does make me sad - people I once respected I no longer find that I do because from where I'm sitting they sold their soul to the devil and I'm not able to reconcile their cheer-leading of this person that doesn't represent what they claim to value.

Totally agree with you that I'll get over it and my kids will too.  In fact, I could easily not address any of this.  My life is great and Trump winning really won't impact my day to day life - but I hope that others realize there's people in true pain over what this guy has done and what he represents.  More so, he's done his level best to divide us for his own gain and maybe that person's and my reaction is a result of that.

Thanks @AAABatteries  It's a challenging time for sure. I'm with you that we Christians need to do a better job putting faith above politics.

I find it fascinating the Republican party has been able to attract so many Christians. My view of it is they did little more than make them feel welcome. 

The reality is, as you know, a ton of what Jesus taught would be called pretty liberal by many standards. He talked a lot about caring well for the poor and welcoming the refugee. About loving the neighbor and then reminding us everyone is our neighbor. I know you know all that. 

I know the polling but in my experience, even in the bible belt where I live, is I see tons of Christians doing this well. I see lots of stuff like Evangelicals for Biden.

As you likely know, John Piper is a huge voice among Evangelicals. He recently wrote Policies, Persons and Paths to Ruin that was strong. 

That's not nearly as sexy a story though as calling Christians hypocrites so that'll always get top billing. 

Thanks @AAABatteries  It's a challenging time for sure. I'm with you that we Christians need to do a better job putting faith above politics.

I find it fascinating the Republican party has been able to attract so many Christians. My view of it is they did little more than make them feel welcome. 

The reality is, as you know, a ton of what Jesus taught would be called pretty liberal by many standards. He talked a lot about caring well for the poor and welcoming the refugee. About loving the neighbor and then reminding us everyone is our neighbor. I know you know all that. 

I know the polling but in my experience, even in the bible belt where I live, is I see tons of Christians doing this well. I see lots of stuff like Evangelicals for Biden.

As you likely know, John Piper is a huge voice among Evangelicals. He recently wrote Policies, Persons and Paths to Ruin that was strong. 

That's not nearly as sexy a story though as calling Christians hypocrites so that'll always get top billing.
Couple more thoughts.

1. I'm not even really asking Christians to vote for Biden - just don't vote for Trump.  I mean, I think people should vote for Biden but I completely understand how one might say they won't.  My issue is all completely with supporting and voting for Trump.

2. In general, there's so much good going on in the world and we rarely hear about it.  And Christians in general, especially if you ignore politics, do a lot of good.  Oversea missions, feeding the homeless, and on and on.  Most people I know are pretty good people (who do some bad things every once in a while).  I think that's why it's so galling that I feel like we elected one of the truly bad people out there.

Couple more thoughts.

1. I'm not even really asking Christians to vote for Biden - just don't vote for Trump.  I mean, I think people should vote for Biden but I completely understand how one might say they won't.  My issue is all completely with supporting and voting for Trump.

2. In general, there's so much good going on in the world and we rarely hear about it.  And Christians in general, especially if you ignore politics, do a lot of good.  Oversea missions, feeding the homeless, and on and on.  Most people I know are pretty good people (who do some bad things every once in a while).  I think that's why it's so galling that I feel like we elected one of the truly bad people out there.
I've noticed here, and this is strictly what I've seen, a lot of people go to church on Sunday, and barely give God a thought for the rest of the week. That's not what we're called to do, and we're certainly not supposed to throw support behind a candidate who has basically spit in the face of our beliefs just because he's now in a certain political party. We're called to help the poor, be good stewards of the planet, and love our neighbors, whether we think they deserve it or not. I'm going to be honest, I see this list, and I don't think, "Oh, that sounds like a Republican," at least I currently don't see it. 

Now, that doesn't give Democrats a pass on this, because I can't support abortion, though I've said earlier that I'd rather see it made obsolete instead of just illegal. These political parties are far from perfect, but I look at the candidates, and while neither of them are my choice, to me Joe Biden at least tries to live out the faith he says he has(I don't know him personally, so I can't definitively say he does or not), which is why I voted for him.

I am not sure I will ever be able to articulate the betrayal these last few years have felt like watching the church that raised me fall into lockstep with Trump. It is actually shocking. The white supremacy, the brutal anti-immigrant policies, the immorality, the absolute depravity. Every value supposedly held dear - purity, lovingkindness, integrity, humility - turned out to be meaningless when they interfered with a proximity to power.

So many of us feel like spiritual orphans, abandoned by our spiritual leaders and disassociated from the church that once taught us to act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God.

Hey AAA,

If I'm reading this correctly it seems like this is a post addressing her church, yes?  It also seems to be talking specifically about the leaders who threw themselves at Trump.  This does NOT seem to be a post about Christianity in general though.  Personally, I find the people who make comments like this refreshing.  They aren't using a sledgehammer rather the scalpel.  We need more of this IMO.  The hardest thing I've done in my life (decided to do twice now) is to walk away from a church that had been "home".  One was my childhood church, the other was one I had been part of for the better part of a decade as an adult.  Are those first world problems?  I guess that's for others to judge, but to me it was incredibly difficult because of what was at stake in not doing so.  The term "spiritual orphan" resonates deep in my heart and is probably the best term I've heard to describe the feelings I've had while I was part of a church that had lost sight of God and become fixated on the things of this world.

Hey AAA,

If I'm reading this correctly it seems like this is a post addressing her church, yes?  It also seems to be talking specifically about the leaders who threw themselves at Trump.  This does NOT seem to be a post about Christianity in general though.  Personally, I find the people who make comments like this refreshing.  They aren't using a sledgehammer rather the scalpel.  We need more of this IMO.  The hardest thing I've done in my life (decided to do twice now) is to walk away from a church that had been "home".  One was my childhood church, the other was one I had been part of for the better part of a decade as an adult.  Are those first world problems?  I guess that's for others to judge, but to me it was incredibly difficult because of what was at stake in not doing so.  The term "spiritual orphan" resonates deep in my heart and is probably the best term I've heard to describe the feelings I've had while I was part of a church that had lost sight of God and become fixated on the things of this world.
I really don't know to be honest.  It's someone my wife knows and she just said it was a FB post.  I do read it kind of like you, that her issue/sorrow is directed towards the leaders and not everyone.

I'm not a Christian, but I thought this talk by David French (who is) was quite good. 

The talk is from a Christian point of view and why Christians should not vote for Trump.
I'll have to listen to it later, but I've said for a while that a lot of believers are being led astray by Trump, or at least by the belief that a single political party can be the only party that God could use or that believers should support.

I'll have to listen to it later, but I've said for a while that a lot of believers are being led astray by Trump, or at least by the belief that a single political party can be the only party that God could use or that believers should support.
You're gonna be disappointed...many of the resident Christians on this board have said almost everything he says in the video :hifive:  

I'm not a Christian, but I thought this talk by David French (who is) was quite good. 

The talk is from a Christian point of view and why Christians should not vote for Trump.
I'm a Christian and liked it. For me, though, it's preaching to the choir. To Christians who support Trump, I think it falls on deaf ears. I could send it to my Christian friends who are likely voting for Trump and they'll either fire back with arguments against it or maybe weakly agree with it but still vote for him.

I'm glad you think it's good. I'm glad a Christian was able to behave and speak in a way that didn't turn you off.

I'm a Christian and liked it. For me, though, it's preaching to the choir. To Christians who support Trump, I think it falls on deaf ears. I could send it to my Christian friends who are likely voting for Trump and they'll either fire back with arguments against it or maybe weakly agree with it but still vote for him.

I'm glad you think it's good. I'm glad a Christian was able to behave and speak in a way that didn't turn you off.
Since I first viewed it, I've been trying to think about cogent, consistent arguments that would exist on the "against" side of what he said and I can't come up with a single one.  That's rare.  :shrug:  

The Commish said:
Thanks for this GB  :thumbup:

Watching now...opening statements and approach (just from a social perspective) is telling.  Gonna take a while to get through it, but this is going to be good.  I recommend everyone watch this.
Interested in your synopsis of Metaxas’ argument when you’re done. I’ve watched it twice (watched it with my wife last night) and I found Metaxas more palatable on second viewing but I’m still baffled if that’s the best argument for Christians to vote for Trump. 

Interested in your synopsis of Metaxas’ argument when you’re done. I’ve watched it twice (watched it with my wife last night) and I found Metaxas more palatable on second viewing but I’m still baffled if that’s the best argument for Christians to vote for Trump. 
This was kind of fascinating to watch, and again, I think EVERYONE interested in this thread should watch the entire thing.  I've said on this page probably a billion times that I will vote time and time again for the person I agree with morally and completely disagree with politically over the person I agree with completely politically but completely disagree with morally, so it's natural that I'd find myself nodding A LOT when French is speaking.

Prior to this debate I had never heard of Metaxas and only heard of French in passing.  You're asking me for the thoughts on Metaxas' argument and all I can offer is that's probably the best you're going to find in a pro-Trump argument.  At it's foundation it's rooted in "fear" and "lesser of two evils".  I can't think of a single question he answered (guess I need to watch it again) that was an answer FOR Trump rather he's been relegated to "yeah, probably bad, but if that's a problem you have with Trump, it's one you have with Biden too" types of arguments.  I will say, the one thing I agree with Metaxas on is at the end and the "refreshing" concept of a politician following through on promises.  That has been a positive for Trump and his supporters.  The problem is, when the promises were made many of us thought he was blowing smoke and there was no way he really meant what he said he was going to do because they were such bad things to commit too we just assumed it was pandering.  I know MANY people who thought that and ignored it trudging forward and throwing a vote to Trump to "see what happens".  Now, almost every single one of them is voting Biden as they realize he actually means some of the crazy stuff he says.  They aren't taking the risk again.  

Back to Metaxas though.  I didn't hear anything compelling.  There was nothing faith based that I could latch onto.  It was primarily deflection and attempts to reframe the question to something more palatable, but even then the more palatable answers were non-answers.  I mean, I don't think there's much of a distinction to be made between people being violent in the form of riots vs people being violent in the form of stalking people on twitter.  That seemed to be Metaxas' best retort to his lack of talking about the Alt-Right, Qanon, the KKK etc.  They are a small group for the simple fact that they aren't as "out there" as protestors and rioters.  That feels dishonest to me.  He had no real answer for the difference in treatment between Clinton's sexual issues and Trump's other than "Well, it's different because when Clinton did it he was President and Trump's stuff happened before he took office".  From the perspective of a person who thinks morality doesn't take a break, my reply is "so?  are you telling me that if all these allegations came up while he was in office that you'd all of a sudden not support him?  really?"  But again, that's probably THE BEST answer he can give for that hypocrisy.  And that shouldn't be considered a knock on Metaxas, rather a reflection of what people put up with in the name of their "side" which drives home French's overall point.  

There's a lot in there...hopefully others will watch it and we can have good discussion about it....what did you take away from it?  What are your thoughts?

@Joe Bryant I REALLY recommend you watch this video when you have time...I've given it to my friends already.  I hope they watch it.

what did you take away from it?  What are your thoughts?
On first watch, I left it thinking Metaxas didn't even attempt to make an argument FOR Trump. It was all about the marxists and socialists. Also, I was turned off initially by Metaxas' personality. Apparently he's a radio/podcast personality, so he came off to me as an over-the-top type of person. That's his brand. Contrasting that with French's brand of being a lawyer and I just didn't think he did well from a debate standpoint. It wasn't a fair fight, but I'd posit that's because there aren't many out there who could honestly do better. It's a tough argument to make. I left having little idea what his argument was. Or, I guess maybe I did have a sense, but since he was all over the place it was hard to follow.

On second watch, I tried to focus mostly on what Metaxas' argument is and I found him a little more palatable. It was interesting that they went through opening arguments, a little back and forth, and a couple questions before they got to an audience question that basically asked, "Um, so what is your argument for Trump?" He started answering that by saying the #1 thing is that he's not Biden. To me, that's a very weak argument, but I at least understand where he's coming from - partisanship. I think his other main focuses were on marxism/socialism on the left (fear, like you say), China (maybe there's something legit here, but not sure Trump is a positive), and how BLM and democracts aren't good for blacks but Trump/Republicans are.

I'm with you in that I agreed with him about Trump and promises. Also, I agree with the general point that Metaxas made that Trump's faith (or lack of) isn't necessarily required to justify a Christian's vote. As he said, I don't care what my dentist's faith is; I just want them to be able to clean and fix my teeth. However, he didn't exactly build on that idea. I would have liked to have heard that discussion more deeply. I quickly googled the comparison to Cyrus, but haven't really looked into it. It also seemed like maybe he was making a joke there? My wife commented that she's seen friends of her claim that Trump is a seeker, but no idea how that means Christians should vote for him or that he deserves to be in the Oval Office.

I'm surprised he didn't talk about abortion. Abortion and the fact that he's "not Biden" are really all I hear from my Trump-voting friends. Metaxas said if it was the Biden of 30 years ago then maybe he'd consider him, but I don't buy it. My friends say similar things. They list a handful of Democrats they would vote for, but conveniently they are always the Democrats who will never have a chance. It's basically claiming you'd be for a hypothetical that will never happen so you are in no danger of ever having to back up your claim.

There's a lot that French said that I like and agree with. I loved his reference to Hezekiah and said "but I guess he wasn't up against the scary Joe Biden campaign." I literally laughed out loud. I do think French chased after a couple of Metaxas' points that then kind of got French off point (can't remember what those were now), but overall he made the much more compelling argument...however, I agreed with him going in, so that doesn't say much.

Like I said, I have Christian friends who will vote for Trump, like I'm sure we all do. I haven't sent them the debate because honestly I'm tired of the discussions we've already had about this. They've been good discussions and it hasn't damaged our relationships (or changed any minds), but I'm just not interested in hearing about anymore. I already have to ignore too many linked tweets that I think are total nonsense.

I wanted someone to ask French and Metaxas whether they thought it was a sin for a Christian to vote either way. That seems like a natural question for a debate about whether a Christian should vote for Trump. I don't necessarily see it as a sin when my friends vote for Trump. To me, the potential for sin is more about why they vote the way they do. I know my friends. They are strong Christians and want to do the right thing. 

Anyway, I'll stop there. I'd love to read more discussion about this. To the best of my knowledge, we don't have many (any?) evangelical Trump supporters here. I feel like most of the Trump supporters here don't get into these Christian discussions or have even outright said they aren't religious. I'd love for someone here to make the argument for Trump from a Christian perspective.

On second watch, I tried to focus mostly on what Metaxas' argument is and I found him a little more palatable. It was interesting that they went through opening arguments, a little back and forth, and a couple questions before they got to an audience question that basically asked, "Um, so what is your argument for Trump?" He started answering that by saying the #1 thing is that he's not Biden. To me, that's a very weak argument, but I at least understand where he's coming from - partisanship. I think his other main focuses were on marxism/socialism on the left (fear, like you say), China (maybe there's something legit here, but not sure Trump is a positive), and how BLM and democracts aren't good for blacks but Trump/Republicans are.
My reaction as well.  And we've seen those arguments here in the PSF frequently.  I've heard them in real life too and tried to have conversations about them, but the gap is in definitions and understanding what words really mean so they usually go nowhere.  I have to admit, I am completely lost on his China argument.  While I understand the issues in China, the disconnect for me is how the actions he's taking with regard to trade have ANYTHING to do with the issues he discusses.  There is nothing we are doing at the moment that is going to address those problems he listed.  That was a complete whiff for me.  I do agree somewhat with the BLM statements, but I think French addressed that nicely by essentially saying "just because they tout the BLM slogan doesn't mean they are BLM".  It's my firm belief that neither party is really good for black people and in my personal experience/discussions most of them don't approach these choices as "who's best going to look out for me" rather "who's going to screw me over the least".

I'm with you in that I agreed with him about Trump and promises. Also, I agree with the general point that Metaxas made that Trump's faith (or lack of) isn't necessarily required to justify a Christian's vote. As he said, I don't care what my dentist's faith is; I just want them to be able to clean and fix my teeth. However, he didn't exactly build on that idea. I would have liked to have heard that discussion more deeply. I quickly googled the comparison to Cyrus, but haven't really looked into it. It also seemed like maybe he was making a joke there? My wife commented that she's seen friends of her claim that Trump is a seeker, but no idea how that means Christians should vote for him or that he deserves to be in the Oval Office.
Unless he remained silent on the Clinton thing (and I don't know if he did or not, but based on his answer about what could Trump do to have him not vote Trump this time through, I suspect he didn't) then this is just hollow nonsense because reality is, he DID care....when it was the other side, which is exactly French's point in the opening statements.  And yes, the Cyrus thing was a joke.  Cyrus was a pretty bad dude, but the moral of that story is basically "see, God can even use the bad people of the world for good", which is true, but it falls flat on it's face when we realize that from God's perspective, we are all bad (sinful) and in the same boat, so everyone that God uses falls into that category.  

Unless he remained silent on the Clinton thing (and I don't know if he did or not, but based on his answer about what could Trump do to have him not vote Trump this time through, I suspect he didn't) then this is just hollow nonsense because reality is, he DID care....when it was the other side, which is exactly French's point in the opening statements.  And yes, the Cyrus thing was a joke.  Cyrus was a pretty bad dude, but the moral of that story is basically "see, God can even use the bad people of the world for good", which is true, but it falls flat on it's face when we realize that from God's perspective, we are all bad (sinful) and in the same boat, so everyone that God uses falls into that category.  
I think the question was about Trump's faith vs his character/actions. Metaxas' answer focused on the faith part. He said he doesn't see Trump as a born-again, spirit-filled person and he also doesn't' think that factors in to whether or not he would vote for him. Yes, I suspect Metaxas wasn't silent on Clinton. He justified that by saying those were actions while in office (and literally in the physical office) rather than Trump's actions 15 years before entering office. He claims he thinks Trump has changed in that regard. Regardless, that's a discussion about character and actions while in a particular job, which wasn't the context of his answer about the dentist. The dentist comment was only based on faith. Yeah, faith and character are (or should be) connected and I think he just complete ignores that. But, I suppose his argument against Clinton was one not based on what Clinton's faith was. I don't think he cares about Clinton's faith either as a determinant for whether to vote for him.

I do wonder if there's an interesting argument to be made that follows the fact that "we're all sinners." I've thought about that recently, but haven't formed into an argument that can lead me to consider Trump. I do think that sort of fits in with an argument that a Christian doesn't necessarily have to care about whether a candidate is a Christian or not to earn their vote. For example, I've argued with my friends that Trump is not Pro Life. I don't believe for a second that he cares about unborn children. But, they say they agree and don't care if Trump is Pro Life or not; they only care if they think Trump will advance Pro Life agenda, which I think he'll attempt if it wins him votes and keeps him in power. So, I guess they, and Metaxas, see this as Trump being someone who they hope will advance God's plan despite the fact that he, himself, has no interest in God's plan.

There's obviously plenty of scripture about authorities being put in place by God and God's sovereignty. I'm more familiar with Nebuchadnezzar than Cyrus, but both seem to be similar cases. So maybe there's some argument about God putting Trump in power for a purpose. But, of course, I don't see those same people arguing the same thing for Obama or Clinton or Biden if he wins. It seems popular to consider Trump to be an instrument of God but any Democrat isn't. 

Just more ramblings, trying to figure out what the pro-Trump Christian argument can be. But, every path I go down, I still have trouble making sense of it.

I watched Metaxas' and was really surprised. It was not very persuasive. It was not accurate.

On some level the fact that we have religious leaders/folks debating about politics is bad in and of itself.  I said somewhere around here - where does Jesus address things like Democracy vs. Socialism, tax philosophy, partisanship/political parties, capitalism, which country is the greatest, etc.  The Christian philosophy has nothing to do with the GOP/Republicans - it's hogwash and folks have been brainwashed in to believing it.

On some level the fact that we have religious leaders/folks debating about politics is bad in and of itself.  I said somewhere around here - where does Jesus address things like Democracy vs. Socialism, tax philosophy, partisanship/political parties, capitalism, which country is the greatest, etc.  The Christian philosophy has nothing to do with the GOP/Republicans - it's hogwash and folks have been brainwashed in to believing it.
The GOP support by church-folk has mostly been focused around abortion.  I would bet that the majority of single issue voters on the Red side are pro-lifers.

The GOP support by church-folk has mostly been focused around abortion.  I would bet that the majority of single issue voters on the Red side are pro-lifers.
Depends on the brand of "church-folk".  I'd argue that those that fall under the banner of religious right are those being described in (yes I'm a broken record) in Let there be Markets.

The group that bridled most against these pessimistic elements of [Adam] Smith and [David] Ricardo was the evangelicals. These were middle-class reformers who wanted to reshape Protestant doctrine. For them it was unthinkable that capitalism led to class conflict, for that would mean that God had created a world at war with itself. The evangelicals believed in a providential God, one who built a logical and orderly universe, and they saw the new industrial economy as a fulfillment of God’s plan. The free market, they believed, was a perfectly designed instrument to reward good Christian behavior and to punish and humiliate the unrepentant. 

At the center of this early evangelical doctrine was the idea of original sin: we were all born stained by corruption and fleshly desire, and the true purpose of earthly life was to redeem this. The trials of economic life—the sweat of hard labor, the fear of poverty, the self-denial involved in saving—were earthly tests of sinfulness and virtue. While evangelicals believed salvation was ultimately possible only through conversion and faith, they saw the pain of earthly life as means of atonement for original sin.[1] These were the people that writers like Dickens detested. The extreme among them urged mortification of the flesh and would scold anyone who took pleasure in food, drink, or good company. Moreover, they regarded poverty as part of a divine program. Evangelicals interpreted the mental anguish of poverty and debt, and the physical agony of hunger or cold, as natural spurs to ##### the conscience of sinners. They believed that the suffering of the poor would provoke remorse, reflection, and ultimately the conversion that would change their fate. In other words, poor people were poor for a reason, and helping them out of poverty would endanger their mortal souls. It was the evangelicals who began to see the business mogul as an heroic figure, his wealth a triumph of righteous will. The stockbroker, who to Adam Smith had been a suspicious and somewhat twisted character, was for nineteenth-century evangelicals a spiritual victor.
The GOP appeals to those that believe their good fortune is their earthly reward from God.  That the "invisible hand" itself is a god rather than a concept.   Is actually God. Thus those that suffer should only be taught to fish because otherwise one is interfering with God's judgment.   God forbid that government substitute its wisdom for God's.  

Sure this is a lot deeper than most think.  But I think this has been the message of the right forever.  It is the root of the laissez faire attitudes when it comes to the economy.  It is also the root to the laissez faire attitude towards social welfare.  It is the moral justification for being what I would see as being selfish but others see as caring about the more important "soul".    And it only explains a subset of Christians.  But its the foundation.   The particular Christians that make the GOP "Christian" and the democrats something else.

Because ultimately it is "the economy, stupid!"

It's a focus but my observation is it's inaccurate to say mostly.  Especially in certain pockets of the Bible Belt.

It's a focus but my observation is it's inaccurate to say mostly.  Especially in certain pockets of the Bible Belt.
Agree. I'd say for people in the church who struggle whether or not to vote for Trump, it's mostly about abortion. But, there are many in the church who are voting for him for many more reasons than abortion.

Agree. I'd say for people in the church who struggle whether or not to vote for Trump, it's mostly about abortion. But, there are many in the church who are voting for him for many more reasons than abortion.
In my conversations with people, abortion is brought up in the "oh yeah, and abortion" as if it's an afterthought.  That's been a relatively new observation....most of the reasons I'm given at first have to do with all the things he said he'd do and hasn't done like the wall Mexico was going to pay for and tax cuts for the middle class.

This wasn't some offhand observation. I am smack dab in the middle of the religious right. I live in Southwest Missouri and regularly attend the largest church within 500 miles, a church that has 14,000 weekly attendees across 4 campuses.  Springfield Missouri has often jokingly been called "The Buckle of the Bible Belt".

It's certainly not a hard-and-fast rule, but there is a definite lean towards abortion as the primary reason for supporting the Republican Party among the thousands of people I am around every day.

Depends on the brand of "church-folk".  I'd argue that those that fall under the banner of religious right are those being described in (yes I'm a broken record) in Let there be Markets.

The GOP appeals to those that believe their good fortune is their earthly reward from God.  That the "invisible hand" itself is a god rather than a concept.   Is actually God. Thus those that suffer should only be taught to fish because otherwise one is interfering with God's judgment.   God forbid that government substitute its wisdom for God's.  

Sure this is a lot deeper than most think.  But I think this has been the message of the right forever.  It is the root of the laissez faire attitudes when it comes to the economy.  It is also the root to the laissez faire attitude towards social welfare.  It is the moral justification for being what I would see as being selfish but others see as caring about the more important "soul".    And it only explains a subset of Christians.  But its the foundation.   The particular Christians that make the GOP "Christian" and the democrats something else.

Because ultimately it is "the economy, stupid!"
So Christian's are greedy and self-serving?  Certainly would fit in with your worldview I suppose.

So Christian's are greedy and self-serving?  Certainly would fit in with your worldview I suppose.
In fairness, we are just people, complete with hurts, habits and hangups. Speaking of Springfield, MO, I was born there while my parents attended the Bible college in town.

Users who are viewing this thread