What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein believes that Toledo WR Cody Thompson is a Day 3 talent.

Day 3, in case you didn't know, means somewhere between rounds 4-7. Zierlein notes there are positives here, including Thompson's (6'1/205) "Above-average body control to box out or make mid-air adjustments," and that he can change speeds to gain separation. There are speed concerns here, however (he ran a 4.57 second 40-yard dash), and he can be beaten with press coverage. Special teams will be important for Thompson, but he was a very efficient receiver for the Rockets, and has a good chance to be a late-round pick because of it.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 22, 2019, 10:43 AM

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports that "most believe" the New York Jets to draft Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen with the 3rd overall pick.

This is "the buzz" around the league, but it's contingent on the Jets playing a 3-4 defense, which is the expectation. Allen (6'5/262) was arguably the best college pass rusher in college football in 2018, and he's widely expected to go inside the top five. In fact, Allen to the Jets has been a common match in industry mock drafts. Rotoworld's Evan Silva listed edge rusher as the Jets' second biggest need behind the offensive line.

SOURCE: Rich Cimini on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 1:09 PM

Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy projects WR Gary Jennings as an outside receiver in the NFL.

Jennings (6'1/214) was able to get more experience against press-man at the Senior Bowl, something he didn't see a lot of at West Virginia. Nagy continued to call Jennings one of the most underrated wide receivers in the class, and that's an easy argument to make. Jennings has produced as a volume receiver and as a playmaker at West Virginia, but he also tested as an above average athlete at both the NFL Scouting Combine and at the Senior Bowl. Currently sitting on the Day 2/3 borderline, Jennings can provide value as a rotational receiver early with the upside of being an every week starter.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 3:06 PM

Alex Schiffer
@TheSchiffMan
Hearing unofficially that Damarea Crockett ran a 4.40 second 40-yard dash.

"Crockett abruptly declared for the draft in January, forgoing his final year of eligibility, while Hall had a strong combine despite being unable to perform in field drills. Both looked good catching passes from Lock, while word around the facility was that Crockett ran a 4.40-second 40-yard dash."
I don't view Crockett as a top 100 pick, but it's nuts that he didn't even get a combine invite.

Reportedly ran near a 4.40 and jumped 37" in the vertical at 5'11" 224. That's going to help his stock.

His tape was kinda "meh" this year, so I'm not going overboard with the optimism.

I think he's a sneaky 4th-5th round pick though. The comp I've used is Jay Ajayi.

I don't view Crockett as a top 100 pick, but it's nuts that he didn't even get a combine invite.

Reportedly ran near a 4.40 and jumped 37" in the vertical at 5'11" 224. That's going to help his stock.

His tape was kinda "meh" this year, so I'm not going overboard with the optimism.

I think he's a sneaky 4th-5th round pick though. The comp I've used is Jay Ajayi.
Did you see a 3 cone time?

Hi EBF, long time no see.  I see Crockett going undrafted most rookie drafts, where do you see him going in a 4 rd rookie draft?  

Crockett wasn’t chosen to participate in the NFL Combine. Thursday’s pro day was his only chance to work out in front of so many scouts. Crockett, who left MU after his junior season, weighed in at 224 pounds, hit 21 reps on the 225-pound bench press and 37 inches on the vertical jump. His official 40-yard dash time wasn’t announced. Crockett met with representatives from Detroit and Indianapolis after the workouts, including Colts general manager Chris Ballard, but he didn’t talk to reporters. ...

Faust said:

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy said that Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin has "absolutely aced" the pre-draft process.

Nagy adds that NFL scouts were hoping that McLaurin would fly under the radar, but Nagy predicts that we'll be hearing McLaurin's name a lot more as we get closer to the 2019 NFL Draft. McLaurin was called a future CEO at the Senior Bowl and then rocked a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. While all of this is positive, his weaknesses include limited career production and being older than most of the other receiver prospects. Consider McLaurin as a potential Day 2 candidate with an early Day 3 floor.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Mar 22, 2019, 3:14 PM

I have Damarea as a Devy in a Devy league and was disappointed that he didn’t get a combine invite. Hearing these numbers if true helps some though. He looked good catching balls at the pro day.

Justice Hill #2 RB?  Really?  Singletary over Montgomery?   Parris Campbell #4 WR?  Really?
Singletary is very underrated.

Hill is ranked a little high for my liking but he had a great 2017 and a wonderful combine

ETA: If Hill repeated 2017 in 2018 he would be rb1 easy. He is going to go higher than people realize. 

The RBs in this class are very intriguing once you get past the hype of Josh Jacobs, put Montgomery to the side, and start actually looking at these guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Singletary is very underrated.

Hill is ranked a little high for my liking but he had a great 2017 and a wonderful combine

ETA: If Hill repeated 2017 in 2018 he would be rb1 easy. He is going to go higher than people realize. 

The RBs in this class are very intriguing once you get past the hype of Josh Jacobs, put Montgomery to the side, and start actually looking at these guys
That ranking didn't have Henderson in the top 5.  How do you feel about that?  Personally I would rank them 1), Jacobs, 1b) Montgomery, 3) Henderson, 4) Harris, 5) Anderson

Per Pro Football Focus, Passers recorded a 95.2 passer rating when targeting Boston College TE Tommy Sweeney.

Sweeney (6'4/251) also recorded 10.9 yards per target and received a strong grade in Pro Football Focus' pass-blocking metrics. Sweeney recorded a 4.83-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and improved both his 3-cone and short shuttle at his Pro Day. Due to his blocking ability, he's a high-floor pick that will be available in the later rounds.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

Mar 23, 2019, 10:15 AM

An anonymous NFC director of college scouting said Wake Forest WR Greg Dortch's "return value" and production against quality competition "pushes him up a good round."

This is a great sign for Dortch (5'7/173) who NFL Media's Lance Zierlein describes as a "smooth, fluid slot receiver whose smallish build is overshadowed by his toughness in the middle of the field and talent as a return man." Zierlein also compared him to Jamison Crowder, a mildly successful and explosive NFL slot receiver who's similarly fun-sized (5'9/174). Dortch didn't perform athletic drills at the NFL Scouting Combine but ran anywhere from a 4.49-to-4.52-second 40-yard dash at his Pro Day. He'll likely be an early Day 3 selection and can be a productive NFL player in the right offense.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 23, 2019, 9:56 AM

Cal RB Patrick Laird recorded a 6.84-second three-cone at his Pro Day.

This would have been the best 3-cone time among running backs at the combine, an impressive mark for the 6-foot, 205-pound running back. In addition to a fast 3-cone, he ran a 4.56-second 40-yard dash and leaped 10 feet in the broad jump. Heading into the draft process Laird was thought to be a likely UDFA but after a strong 3-cone, there's a possibility a team takes a late flier on him.

SOURCE: Cal Football on Twitter

Mar 23, 2019, 9:12 AM

Takeaways from NFL Scouting Combine

Excerpt:

Former Pitt running back Qadree Ollison was the only Panther invited to this year’s combine. Ollison put up respectable numbers in the 40-yard dash, his best time coming as an official 4.58. Given his large size, this wasn’t a poor showing — for comparison, former teammate and current Steelers running back James Conner ran a slightly slower 4.65. Ollison’s showings in the three-cone drill and broad jump, however, did not help his draft stock, as he finished dead last in both. 

Ollison will likely have a tough time getting drafted, especially in a draft that is loaded with talent at the running back position. But it remains likely that he’ll find his way to an NFL training camp as an undrafted free agent, and could fight his way onto a roster or practice squad if he can carve out a role as a power back.

That ranking didn't have Henderson in the top 5.  How do you feel about that?  Personally I would rank them 1), Jacobs, 1b) Montgomery, 3) Henderson, 4) Harris, 5) Anderson
I dont agree with it, but I appreciate the mention of those 2.

I wont share my rankings because I have a few newer league mates that I think are in these forums. However I think most people, such as yourself, are missing the mark on their top 5 Rbs

I dont agree with it, but I appreciate the mention of those 2.

I wont share my rankings because I have a few newer league mates that I think are in these forums. However I think most people, such as yourself, are missing the mark on their top 5 Rbs
It’s hard to be accurate on these RBs because they have so many warts.

It’s hard to be accurate on these RBs because they have so many warts.
There are 4-5 that I think could turn out quite good. of those 4-5 I think 2 have rb1 potential. One I think is a slam dunk. 

There are several who maybe make better NFL RBs as role players than fantasy RBs. 

Hi EBF, long time no see.  I see Crockett going undrafted most rookie drafts, where do you see him going in a 4 rd rookie draft?  
That all depends on how high he gets picked by the NFL.

4th-7th round seems like a realistic range for him.

The fact that he didn't even get a combine invite suggests that teams aren't awed by him, so maybe you favor the lower part of that range. I do think he's too good to go undrafted though. Decent production in the SEC and good physical tools. Someone will grab him late and give him a chance to make a roster as a backup.

If he goes in the 4th round of the NFL draft then he could be a 2nd round rookie pick, but that's pretty optimistic. 5th-7th seem a little more likely, in which case he'd probably be a 3rd-4th round rookie pick or a waiver option.

Jacob's bad proday made me comfortable trading back in the first round actually. Wasn't 100%sold and it sealed it for me.
I think too many people put too much stock on the combine.  We quickly forget how poorly some NFL stars performed at the combine.  That's not to say we should ignore what a player does at the combine, but we do need to put it into perspective. 

I think too many people put too much stock on the combine.  We quickly forget how poorly some NFL stars performed at the combine.  That's not to say we should ignore what a player does at the combine, but we do need to put it into perspective. 
There are thresholds to success in the NFL. Right now Jacobs meets none of those. Combine/workout was, in fact, the only way he could meet some of those thresholds. He’s an outlier of outliers and a story idiot scouts told around a campfire drinking too many PBR’s.

I agree with you actually. No RB is off the table for me. I’ve changed my mind about that.
I can deal with Holyfield if all he lacks is top end, even if it's really bad. I havent heard anything about a ss or his 40 yard split. Just something to show a smidgen of acceleration, which he looked to have in his football games imo. 

The abandoned ship of Singletary confuses me more than anything. People loved this guy before the combine. 

Bojang0301 said:
All I’m saying is these people have so much hubris they think they know better than Nick Saban.
Jacobs aside, Foghorn Leghorn makes a good point... you have RBs like Singletary (and even Holyfield) who were thought of very highly prior to the combine and they had good production in college. Suddenly Holyfield is undraftable and people have practically jumped ship on Singletary? Seems like too much stock can be put into the combine, especially the 40. I dont think ant team has the "40 yard" play... but maybe I'm wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread