What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Forgotten Pop culture song of All-Time (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Does anyone remember the song "Welcome to the Boom Town" from David & David from 1986?  I keep watching the video for the song on YouTube.  And I know the local rock station here in St. Louis has played it a couple of times as part of a flashback segment.  I remember seeing the video for the song and thought to myself in 1986 that this was going to be what the future looked like here in America?  But, what city was referred to as the "Boomtown" in the song.  I keep thinking it's L.A. because there are a couple of scenes from 1980s game shows that were part of the video for the song.  Who else remembers the song "Welcome to the Boom Town" by David & David?

I listened to that album a couple of weeks ago. It was not as good as I remembered. "Swallowed by the Cracks" tune was decent. 

I think there's an inherent paradox in the thread. If it's the most forgotten, how can it be memorialized in a FBG thread?  

If David & David came along ten years earlier during the El Lay singer/songwriter boom era, they would have had better careers.  But David Baerwald was playing in an LA punk band called The Spastics then.  By the time their album came out in 1986, both scenes had passed.

Baerwald released some solo records.  Triage from 1992 is worth a listen if you like the most forgotten pop culture song of all time.  He made some good money from a few songwriting credits on Sheryl Crow's debut album.

I don't know what happened to David.

If David & David came along ten years earlier during the El Lay singer/songwriter boom era, they would have had better careers.  But David Baerwald was playing in an LA punk band called The Spastics then.  By the time their album came out in 1986, both scenes had passed.

Baerwald released some solo records.  Triage from 1992 is worth a listen if you like the most forgotten pop culture song of all time.  He made some good money from a few songwriting credits on Sheryl Crow's debut album.

This ain't L.A. - This is Newwww York. 

Isn't that how her original went?  

Just spitballing.  

It feels like anything from the singer/songwriter era (croce/taylor etc.) is a genre that is being forgotten by today's EDM'ers.

To be honest, the genre was before my time but I consider it the most timeless of the American popular music genres/categories.

Welcome to the Boomtown is still a pretty cool record.  It starts and ends with a guitar solo that sounds like Robert Fripp on "Heroes".  The lyrics have sort of a Miami Vice feel to them with two verses about people caught up in the drug trade.  The story ends with a devastating abruptness with a minute and a half left in the song "Well the ambulance arrived too late/I guess she didn't want to wait".  And of course it has that huge mid-80s production with gated drums.  What's not to like?

David kept writing and producing.  Got back in the big time when he co-wrote a song on a Robbie Robertson solo album.   
David also has songwriting credits on Tuesday Night Music Club, Leaving Las Vegas and Strong Enough.  
The biggest artists David produced records for are Toni Childs and Meredith Brooks.

There was an early 90's music video that for the life of me I can't remember.  For some reason I thought it was Kings X, but in searching can't find it.  And Kings X doesn't really have the right sound.  What I remember about the video was that it had a jangly, poppy driving sound, and that in the music video there was a japanese teenage girl laying/cavorting on her bed staring at the TV in rapture, hands under chin (no perv).  EMF or Stone Roses kind of sound, maybe.  The video got some play - not sure the song ever made a dent.  Any halp?

Jeez I did forget about this tune. I like it. Very cool guitar work. I like the lyrics. Definitely an 80’s production with those drums. But again....a song that in 1986 was a departure somewhat from all the glam and gloss of hair metal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
proteus126 said:
There was an early 90's music video that for the life of me I can't remember.  For some reason I thought it was Kings X, but in searching can't find it.  And Kings X doesn't really have the right sound.  What I remember about the video was that it had a jangly, poppy driving sound, and that in the music video there was a japanese teenage girl laying/cavorting on her bed staring at the TV in rapture, hands under chin (no perv).  EMF or Stone Roses kind of sound, maybe.  The video got some play - not sure the song ever made a dent.  Any halp?
The Vapors? Turning Japanese

No, unfortunately.  The sound was reminiscent of a blend of Big Audio Dynamite / Ned's Atomic Dustbin.  Driving, bright guitar, repetitive, light on the drums.  Nonsensical video which I remember little of other than the Japanese teeny bopper, lots of quick cuts.  Early 90's vintage.

Feel like this is wasting folks' time for something trivial, but its in my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country Joe and the Fish - I feel like I'm fixin to die

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men, Uncle Sam needs your help again
He's got himself in a terrible jam, way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun, we're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam
And it's five, six, seven, open up the pearly gates
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast, your big chance has come at last
Gotta go out and get those reds, the only good commie is one that's dead
And you know that peace can only be won when we've blown 'em all to kingdom come.

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow, why man, this is war a-go-go
There's plenty good money to be made by supplying the Army with the tools of the trade
Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb, they drop it on the Viet Cong.

Well, come on mothers throughout the land, pack your boys off to Vietnam
Come on fathers, don't hesitate, send 'em off before it's too late
Be the first one on your block to have your boy come home in a box.

Does anyone remember the song "Welcome to the Boom Town" from David & David from 1986?  I keep watching the video for the song on YouTube.  And I know the local rock station here in St. Louis has played it a couple of times as part of a flashback segment.  I remember seeing the video for the song and thought to myself in 1986 that this was going to be what the future looked like here in America?  But, what city was referred to as the "Boomtown" in the song.  I keep thinking it's L.A. because there are a couple of scenes from 1980s game shows that were part of the video for the song.  Who else remembers the song "Welcome to the Boom Town" by David & David?
I remember the David Baerwald part of David & David and he put out an sensational album called "Bedtime Stories." Just fabulous.

"Good Times," "Young Anymore," "The Best Inside You," "Liberty Lies," hard to name a favorite.

"Life is short, death is long.

The drive to self-destruction is very, very strong."

"Instead of Nero, we have Madonna fiddling with herself." :thumbup:

"Baerwald is completely underrated as a musician and songwriter. He’s a perfect example of someone who should’ve been far more famous than he is."--Amazon review of "Bedtime Stories"

Users who are viewing this thread