What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (2 Viewers)

Very fair points as well.  So are we back to the old people vs. young people side of things then.  ;)

I know 80s is younger than me by a bit, but ironically watches more older movies than me (I believe you said your parents brought you up with them?).    I am 42 - would I be on the younger end of the spectrum as far as participants in this thread?
I am older than you, and Mr. krista is younger than you.  He would have more 70s movies to list than I would. :shrug:   There's probably an age component, but some of it is just how you've watched movies over the years.  I've been strategic in my watching. :lol:  

Highest-grossing films of 1978
Rank    Title    Studio    Domestic gross
1.    Grease    Paramount Pictures    $159,978,870[1]
2.    Superman    Warner Bros.    $134,218,018[2]
3.    National Lampoon's Animal House    Universal Pictures    $120,091,123[3]
4.    Every Which Way but Loose    Warner Bros.    $85,196,485[4]
5.    Heaven Can Wait    Paramount Pictures    $81,640,278[5]
6.    Hooper    Warner Bros.    $78,000,000[6]
7.    Jaws 2    Universal Pictures    $77,737,272[7]
8.    Revenge of the Pink Panther    United Artists    $49,579,269[8]
9.    The Deer Hunter    Universal Pictures    $48,979,328[9]
10.    Halloween    Compass International    $47,000,000[10]

only 3 or 4 from just the top 10 list?  Grease, Superman, Animal House, Jaws 2, Pink Panther, Deer Hunter, Halloween all very good movies doesn't even include movies like the Whiz, Killer Tomatoes, Omen 2, and Up in smoke amongst others
I saw ever one of those.

Ok, I know everyone has been waiting for my list, so, here it is:

really, 1999 was a weird year for movies, for me. I was stationed in Germany and don’t remember seeing any of these in theaters, only on VCR, later. In some cases, much later. Compared to some of you Siskels and Eberts on here, this is gonna read like the Movie Guide from Hometown Buffet.

Fight Club          30
  Matrix              30
  Being Jon Malkovich 20
  American Beauty     20
  Office Space        20
  Man on the Moon     15
  Green Mile          15
  Toy Story 2          5
  Hurricane            5
  Cider House Rules    5
  Austin Powers        5
  Sixth Sense          5
  3 Kings              5
  South Park           5
  The Limey            5
  Galaxy Quest         5
  Dogma                5

Magnolia            -300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I know everyone has been waiting for my list, so, here it is:

really, 1999 was a weird year for movies, for me. I was stationed in Germany and don’t remember seeing any of these in theaters, only on VCR, later. In some cases, much later. Compared to some of you Siskels and Eberts on here, this is gonna read like the Movie Guide from Hometown Buffet.

Fight Club          30
  Matrix              30
  Being Jon Malkovich 20
  American Beauty     20
  Office Space        15
  Man on the Moon     15
  Green Mile          15
  Toy Story 2          5
  Hurricane            5
  Cider House Rules    5
  Lock, Stock, 2       5
  Austin Powers        5
  Sixth Sense          5
  3 Kings              5
  South Park           5
  The Limey            5
  Galaxy Quest         5
  Dogma                5
fyi - lock, stock, has been ruled as '98.  

List is ready to go barring any late entries.  Haven't heard from NV - think he was the only one that said he might do one but hasn't sent one in.  

Phoebe Cates in Paradise. She's nekkid a lot. And fabulous.
I went and googled that. I saw very little nekkidness, watched a cavorting and playful Willie Aames shirtless and sporting a herpes sore for 3 minutes and heard the cheesey theme song for a total of 5.3 minutes. Which, if you remember that song, was like going from leap year to leap year, with The Macarena playing as a soundtrack.

Phoebe Cates in Paradise. She's nekkid a lot. And fabulous.

ETA.. and nekkid.
Does that needed to be added to the '82 research pile? 

I think this is bit of the interesting effect of age discrepancy krista mentioned too.  I was probably too young even for Gremlins when it came out, or at least didn't care about girls yet.  I fell for her in that 90s classic Drop Dead Fred.  Didn't see Fast Times until my 20s, and never have heard of Paradise. 

Does that needed to be added to the '82 research pile? 

I think this is bit of the interesting effect of age discrepancy krista mentioned too.  I was probably too young even for Gremlins when it came out, or at least didn't care about girls yet.  I fell for her in that 90s classic Drop Dead Fred.  Didn't see Fast Times until my 20s, and never have heard of Paradise. 
NEKKID

art this ain't 

Alright.  The wine has past settled in, rockin' some live Radiohead after learning the wife secured some tix of this summer's tour, and I haven't heard from our gb north of the border with his favourites, so I think it's time to knock out a few of these movies.  

The other night I was laughing my ### off at some of the poor ratings for movies on imdb and other sites, so we are going with:  Rank, total Points, Imdb grade/Metacritic grade and a review from some random person on the internet telling us why we are wrong to have this movie on our countdown.  

ETA:  Format will be:

1.  Rank      2.  Total points received

3.  Imdb rating/metacritic rating

4.  quote from movie

5.  negative review from random internet person

6   title of movie

Oh yeah - thanks to all who sent in a list and kept me out of the ####### political threads all week!  Way more participation than I expected.  We got 37 lists and 110 different movies ended up getting votes.  

#30    76pts

7.6/74

"Hate put me in prison. Love's gonna bust me out. "

Awful...should have been called "SCOOBY DOO THE MOVIE"

This movie was absolutely terrible. It is a fictionalized account of some events that actually happened. This movie in many ways is like the old Scooby Doo cartoons. The "medling kids" set out to solve a mystery. After they gather some clues and start getting close to solving the mystery, the bad guy shows up wearing a beige trench coat and fedora (just like they always did in the cartoon) and warns them to back off. Of course, they don't, so the bad guy sabotages their car (Mystery Machine) and as they are driving, the wheel falls off! There are so many similarities to the old Scooby Doo cartoons that I find it very difficult to believe the director did not parody the cartoon on purpose. Further more, most of the the movie is done via Denzel's narration, as his character recounts the story of Hurrican Carter's life. This movie drags on and on and ON! It is extremely boring.

THE HURRICANE

Not a ton of votes for this one, but they were big votes.  This is a football message board after all.  

#29   80pts 

6.8/52

On any given Sunday you're gonna win or you're gonna lose. The point is - can you win or lose like a man?

This defines the word terrible

I have never seen a more unrealistic movie than this foul piece of dung. The acting was over the top. The direction was tacky and amateurish. The script was just a joke. The story looked penned by a person that has never been around a high school football game, much less a professional game. And why, why did Oliver Stone feel the need to place himself in this movie as an actor? He was terrible, playing the most unrealistic announcer ever. He could not even get hired to do professional wrestling contests. Then you have Jamie Foxx, who throws like a girl. But, he is a tad more athletic than the aged Dennis Quaid. Seriously, Stone wanted to direct this film at 16 year old males with ADD. That is why we hear the loud music, the quick cuts and numerous edits. It just became a bad MTV video.

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY

Oh man, this is one of the main ones that I was pulling for at the beginning of the week. Another one that got big votes from just a few people, including me, but in the end it kept getting pushed down the list.  (I think it was #12 on Wednesday?).  Just a great, sweet story and movie...

#28   81pts.  

8.0/86

There's no one knows your life better than a brother that's near your age. He knows who you are and what you are better than anyone on earth. My brother and I said some unforgivable things the last time we met, but, I'm trying to put that behind me... and this trip is a hard swallow of my pride. I just hope I'm not too late... a brother's a brother.

melodramatic, trite, and disgusting

Alvin Straight (Richard Farnsworth) is an old man. He walks with two canes. He is nearly blind. He can't drive a car. His brother just had a stroke. He and his brother haven't talked for over 10 years. Alvin decides that he has to see his brother. So, Alvin sets off across Iowa headed to Wisconsin on a lawn mower. The movie is almost 2 hours of alternating boredom. First we see shot after shot of Iowa cornfields being harvested and close-ups of asphalt whizzing by under the lawn mower. Interspersed, we are subjected to the homespun philosophy of this old man talking to people he meets along the way. Most of these discussions are melodramatic, trite, or disgusting.

THE STRAIGHT STORY

#27   83pts

7.1/73

You tell him, you tell him I'm coming. Tell him I'm ####### coming!

bella mafia:

It was hard for me to really grasp just how contrived and unoriginal this flick was! It had absolutely NO ENERGY, the villains were third rate - my mother probably could have whipped some ### and come out an action star. As I sit here with my cigarette, just finished watching this god-awful flick, I dip into my cherrios and wonder why on earth would an English actor like Terence Stamp would sign off on movie like this? The money?

THE LIMEY

If the bad review shtick is annoying just let me know and I will cut it out and stick to the other stuff tomorrow.  

Here we have a tie with two completely different movies.  

#s  26/25   85pts each.  

7.1/82

We three kings be stealin' the gold...

What?

I cannot understand what all the fuss is about this movie. It started out interestingly but ended up going absolutely nowhere in what must be one of the most pointless stories I have ever witnessed. Three Kings is easily in my worst ten movies of all time (that I have seen) list.

THREE KINGS

7.8/71

That thing had better fly, or you can kiss your chances of losing your virginity goodbye.

2/10

Just a regular Hollywood movie

This was very predictable. I knew from the start how it's gonna end. And I've got it! I also knew it will have a lot of cliche about family life when the father don't understand his son. I've got it too! This is just a regular Hollywood movie, a weeping film of good sentiments. It is well made, and away from

special effects, violence and dumb patriotism. From this point of view, it is very OK, but really not a great film. Just another Hollywood movie with fifties juke-box hits (sometimes, the years of the songs don't match the year of the story!). Chris Cooper is a fine actor and the kids did a very good job. I had a good time watching it, but I will don't remember it in two years.

OCTOBER SKY

I will continue tomorrow. 

The natural break for the top 30 to get into the countdown for 1999 was 70+ points.   top 15 is 147+, top 10 is 200+,  top 5 were 300+, and the top 2 were 600+.  :shock:

It will be interesting to see how other years compare.  

No!  Love the bad review shtick!
me too. there was once a syndicated  movie reviewer named Joe Bob Briggs who used the word "Fu" to clue the reader in on the elements to count on gratuitous amounts of in each picture. Slime Fu, Poolside Nudity Fu, Inspiration Fu etc. while its obvious that KP & i look for very different things in our movies, i am digging the Disgust Fu in his reviews to the extreme!

me too. there was once a syndicated  movie reviewer named Joe Bob Briggs who used the word "Fu" to clue the reader in on the elements to count on gratuitous amounts of in each picture. Slime Fu, Poolside Nudity Fu, Inspiration Fu etc. while its obvious that KP & i look for very different things in our movies, i am digging the Disgust Fu in his reviews to the extreme!
Loved me some Joe Bob. Love me some KP.

Users who are viewing this thread