What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (4 Viewers)

There IS clarity though... Chris Carson and Mike Davis are the top 2 backs because of their tough running style and ability to pass protect. Lyin' Cheatin' Pete has always valued that toughness in his backs and will trust them if healthy. Penny hasn't grasped the full playbook yet and is a suspect pass protector i.e. he's not seeing the field on passing downs. He's not in a position to take over any role in the backfield outside of injury.

Carson should probably see 14-16 carries instead of the 20+ he had Week 8 and was on pace for before he was hurt Week 9. Those caries probably will be split between Davis and Penny.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don’t even trust Penny to not put up a zero spot again. Schottenheimer openly said Penny was struggling picking up the offense this week. I’m happy for the flash of talent but all the deficiencies so far with the weight gain, lack of usage and now this... this guy needs to grow up before he’s a fantasy asset.

This blurb does not inspire confidence ... one step forward ...

Wed, Nov 14

Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said Rashaad Penny is still struggling to pick up the offense.

Advice: "He’s still a young player," Schottenheimer said. "He still has those times in the meetings where it’s like, Rashaad, are you listening? The season is long. I think it was really good for his confidence to go out there and do what he did." Penny went off for 108 yards and a touchdown on the Rams with Chris Carson sidelined, but he's still behind Carson for lead duties. Penny's Week 10 breakout may be enough to move him ahead of Mike Davis as the No. 2 back.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll suggested Rashaad Penny may not have much of a Week 11 role.

"When everybody’s healthy, not everybody’s going to get the ball," Carroll said. "That’s just the way it goes. Chris [Carson] is going to be healthy this week and he’ll be excited to get back out there." This throws shade on Penny forcing his way into a timeshare. Penny's blowup Week 10 has earned him a few more reps after getting buried the last few games, but this is still Carson's backfield.

The problem is that all three of the RBs look good.  Carson has looked the best to me but also seems to injured a lot.  Penny looked great but it was a small sample size.  If I was going to gamble, I would add Penny to my roster since Carson is likely to be injured again and Penny should do well.   
That's the thing. This is one of the most run dominent offenses in the NFL. There is nothing wrong trying to figure out which 1or 2 guys to have on your team.

Bit frustrating to watch him do so well with limited touches last night, then they just basically ran Carson the entire second half. Not that Carson didn't run well but still, would have been nice to see him mixed in a little later in the game. Still will need an injury to Carson in order for him to flourish this year.

Pretty clear SEA backfield is your basic RBBC... at least for rest of this season.

There may be individual big games, but no way to see it coming.

Rashaad Penny rushed seven times for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 13 win over the 49ers.

Penny still worked as the clear No. 2 to Chris Carson for most of this game, but he had several explosive runs including a 20-yard touchdown on the opening play of the second half – Tyler Lockett set up the offense with a long kickoff return. It is notable, however, that Carson left this game in the fourth quarter with a finger injury. Coach Pete Carroll said Carson should be fine, but if he is forced to miss time, Penny will be on the RB2 map.

Dec 2 - 9:05 PM

Carson missed the end of the game for a dislocated finger. 

But he also had to get stitches for a dislocated finger, so something doesn't add up. 

Carson missed the end of the game for a dislocated finger. 

But he also had to get stitches for a dislocated finger, so something doesn't add up. 
That can add up fine... He gets his finger mashed between a facemask, cutting it and dislocating it. You could be right and there could be something they're keeping off the report so it bears watching. 

He did, however, outsnap Davis this week. Not exactly a startable asset now that bye weeks are behind us, but it bodes well for his future. Carson is made of glass...

Missed all the other hot adds with 0 FAAB left in one league but I’ve got a bye and lost Conner so I’m gonna give it a whirl for a week or two. 

Rashaad Penny (knee) is out for Week 15 against the 49ers.

It seems like Penny is always hurt, but this is actually his first career absence. The 22-year-old got off to a sluggish start this year but has impressed recently, thriving in a change-of-pace role behind starter Chris Carson. Mike Davis should see more work in his absence, though Carson is still the preferred fantasy play.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter 

Dec 14 - 4:25 PM

Rashaad Penny rushed four times for 29 yards in Seattle's Wild Card loss to the Cowboys.

Like most of the year, Penny worked as the No. 3 back behind Chris Carson and Mike Davis in Seattle's Wild Card game. Although the rookie showed explosiveness in averaging 4.8 yard per carry this season, he ultimately didn't receive enough carries (91 total) to become a viable weekly option. With Mike Davis likely gone in free agency, the former first-round pick will enter the new league year as Seattle's No. 2 with the ability to leapfrog Carson for a starting role in camp. Keep him locked in as a late-round Best Ball pick this upcoming May.

Jan 6 - 1:32 AM

Lots of people here have him on their buy lists. Not in my leagues. I got one offer for him last year and it was probably in the preseason. In one league I was considering cutting him recently. I was able to make a 2 for 1 trade and have room now but I'm afraid he will just clog my roster. I can't see his path forward so long as Carson is there. 

i sold one of my shares a few weeks ago, tough to feel too optimistic for 2019 (Carson is on a cheap rookie contract, will be curious to see when/if extended)

We'll probably know what we're in for with him at training camp. The kid flashed this year so seems like he could be talented. The big question is if he is going to dedicate himself this offseason. If he comes into camp in shape, serious and beasting then he'll get a fair shot. If questions of work ethic, fitness level, etc... start to swirl again then I'd say he's a lost cause.

The ball is in his court. The Seahawks want him to succeed and not be a wasted 1st rd pick

I can definitely see him being the full-time #2 and they move on from Mike Davis. Chris Carson has that job on lock unless he gets hurt doe.

Unfortunately I agree with those stating Carson has the job on lock. I haven’t changed my initial feelings on Penny but feel like this is a Mark Ingram type of deal. Is it worth it to wait until year three or four until there is a breakout or be wishing and hoping for a Carson injury? Not sure. I’d sell if the price is right and I’d try to buy at the end of ‘19 if Carson maintains health and the lead job. I don’t think I’d buy right now, those that have him will want the same return from the investment and he flashed enough to believe they deserve it.

The Seahawks want him to succeed and not be a wasted 1st rd pick
While, I'm sure they want him to succeed, the Seahawks, more than any other team, are a meritocracy. Chris Carson played at a pro bowl level this year, and unless that drastically changes, its hard to see Penny getting even 35% of the worklaod, since he's not a great pass catcher.

I actually think Carson wouldn't be a bad buy low right now, with people expecting a much bigger role for Penny.

I actually think Carson wouldn't be a bad buy low right now, with people expecting a much bigger role for Penny.
Got a trade offer for Penny yesterday that confused me so much I turned it down after thinking about it all day, then later changed my mind and offered it up. I view Penny as a buy low but was hoping to pay with something else.

I'd  actually consider both Penny and Carson good buy lows. Mike Davis is taking about 9 fantasy points a game with him so it's easy to see Penny picking up a lot or most of that slack even if he did not actually take from Carson at all.  Saw Carson get dealt for 2.1 a few days ago in a league of mine and that to me is buying kind of low. Looked at Dan Hindery's trade value chart he just put out two days ago and based on that Carson and Penny align up with value of picks 11 and 12. I think those are all good buy low prices.

I think both are pretty talented  young RB's who barring a trade are likely going to be playing with each other two more years.  Like you said SEA always preaches competition, a meritocracy. Depending on how you want to look at it that is good or bad for Penny. Bad in the sense he's not going to be get the job served up to him because of his draft status, good because he can still compete to take a bigger role away from Carson. One positive is Schneider is on the aggressive side so if they really feel good about Penny, I could see them moving Carson before this possible two year timeframe is up.

Main part of my appeal to Penny was I thought he just looked really good on his limited chances. He made me think of David Johnson's rookie year when he was behind CJ and Ellington and it took both of them getting hurt for him to break out in week 13. Those two don't get hurt late in season, it's very likely David Johnson is available for peanuts the offseason after his rookie year. I'm banking on fact that major difference between the two is Penny just was not as fortunate on the injury situation as David Johnson was,  but eventually the talent will get him there.

Just hope they start involving their RB's in passing game more. When they drafted Penny I heard a lot of talk that using him in passing game was a big part of their plan, that they had specific things in mind for him in passing game. More involvement in the passing game and he won't even need to overtake Carson to at least start being usable.

Got a trade offer for Penny yesterday that confused me so much I turned it down after thinking about it all day, then later changed my mind and offered it up. I view Penny as a buy low but was hoping to pay with something else.

I'd  actually consider both Penny and Carson good buy lows. Mike Davis is taking about 9 fantasy points a game with him so it's easy to see Penny picking up a lot or most of that slack even if he did not actually take from Carson at all.  Saw Carson get dealt for 2.1 a few days ago in a league of mine and that to me is buying kind of low. Looked at Dan Hindery's trade value chart he just put out two days ago and based on that Carson and Penny align up with value of picks 11 and 12. I think those are all good buy low prices.

I think both are pretty talented  young RB's who barring a trade are likely going to be playing with each other two more years.  Like you said SEA always preaches competition, a meritocracy. Depending on how you want to look at it that is good or bad for Penny. Bad in the sense he's not going to be get the job served up to him because of his draft status, good because he can still compete to take a bigger role away from Carson. One positive is Schneider is on the aggressive side so if they really feel good about Penny, I could see them moving Carson before this possible two year timeframe is up.

Main part of my appeal to Penny was I thought he just looked really good on his limited chances. He made me think of David Johnson's rookie year when he was behind CJ and Ellington and it took both of them getting hurt for him to break out in week 13. Those two don't get hurt late in season, it's very likely David Johnson is available for peanuts the offseason after his rookie year. I'm banking on fact that major difference between the two is Penny just was not as fortunate on the injury situation as David Johnson was,  but eventually the talent will get him there.

Just hope they start involving their RB's in passing game more. When they drafted Penny I heard a lot of talk that using him in passing game was a big part of their plan, that they had specific things in mind for him in passing game. More involvement in the passing game and he won't even need to overtake Carson to at least start being usable.
What was the trade you made?

Penny is absolutely a buy low right now. I don't get it completely as he looked good once into a rhythm. He has great lateral quickness for a big guy and you can't teach that. Carson just played out of his mind and stayed healthier last year. Penny as a first round pick who showed flashes will get another chance to take over. Buy him now for a steep discount compared to where I think his value will be in 12 months.

Penny is absolutely a buy low right now. I don't get it completely as he looked good once into a rhythm. He has great lateral quickness for a big guy and you can't teach that. Carson just played out of his mind and stayed healthier last year. Penny as a first round pick who showed flashes will get another chance to take over. Buy him now for a steep discount compared to where I think his value will be in 12 months.
Something for me to add on Penny.

The league I just traded for him I drafted him at 1.3, ended up dealing him a few weeks after the draft back in the summer. I can't say at the  time I drafted him I was sold on him being that talented but I did like the draft pedigree and opportunity. Now after a full season, due mainly to Chris Carson's emergence, his value is down. What is a bit unusual is that while his value is down I'm actually higher on the individual talent of Penny more then I was when I picked him at 1.3.  And part of that is what you said, his lateral quickness and for that matter his speed is pretty impressive for someone his size.

I like the Penny side in dynasty unless you were in all out must win right now mode.
I like Freeman probably a little more then consensus. In fact the day I did this trade, which was just yesterday, I drafted Freeman at 4.4 of a FFPC best ball league, injuries have been his issue last few years but I don't see any current injuries to worry over and when he is healthy he's been at least a solid high end RB2 since he lost Kyle. I view him as basically a solid bet to be like 15PPG RB.

I finished third in this league last year and team I made the deal with finished second.  The team that acquired Freeman also picked up Ito Smith and RB was a thin spot so I made a competitor better IMO. That was a major drawback on the trade.

But my team might have youngest key core group, Freeman basically was my "old guy", so in that sense the team is not in a must win now mode.

Speaking Thursday, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he hopes to maintain a "one-two punch" at running back with Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny.

Penny reached 10 touches just four times as a rookie, but he did flash his big-play ability with regularity down the stretch. "(Once) he got going, he showed the explosiveness and the speed and the dynamics," Carroll said of last year's first-rounder. Of course, this being Carroll, there was also plenty of gushing about Carson. Last season's status quo could be the best bet for fantasy players trying to game out the Seahawks' early-year running back rotation.

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: seahawks.com

Feb 28, 2019, 5:29 PM

The Seattle Times reports Rashaad Penny has been "drawing raves" for his conditioning this offseason.

After finishing last year strong, Penny has been earning consistent plaudits for his work in pad-less practices. OC Brian Schottenheimer has called Penny slimmer and more mature. "I'm really pleased with the way he's attacking practice right now," Schottenheimer said. Chris Carson, meanwhile, is recovering from another injury, this time knee surgery. Penny's 2018 first-round selection still makes little sense, but first-rounders get every opportunity to make an impact, and Penny did average 4.9 yards per carry as a rookie. Coach Pete Carroll hopes for a "one-two punch" at running back. Penny is going to be a major factor in the Seahawks' run-heavy offense and offers tantalizing upside in fantasy drafts. Just don't forget about the downside with Carson still penciled in atop the depth chart.

RELATED: 

Jesse James

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Jun 4, 2019, 5:39 PM ET

According to NFL Network's Omar Ruiz, Rashaad Penny lost 15 pounds this offseason.

Conditioning was an issue for Penny during his rookie year, so he's made that a priority this offseason. Penny has also been mentored by NFL Hall of Famer and fellow San Diego State alum Marshall Faulk. With the Seahawks opting to rest starter Chris Carson, Penny has seen most of Seattle's first-team running back reps at OTAs.

SOURCE: Omar Ruiz on Twitter

Jun 7, 2019, 1:44 PM ET

In redraft he's going late. I'll take a stab at him.
The good news is Seattle still intends to run it into the ground and if Penny looks appreciably better he has a slight chance to take the lead role though it may be an ask as Carson was a stable force. I also get the feeling Schotty probably likes the runaway train style of Carson (I do not and it’s why he has been injured every single season dating back to his senior year). Penny is a finesse guy who relies on vision and patience. We’ll see where that falls into Seattle’s plans. If he can act as a pass catcher he has a chance to earn the full Mike Davis role instead of further vulturing from Travis Homer, who I also like.

The good news is Seattle still intends to run it into the ground and if Penny looks appreciably better he has a slight chance to take the lead role though it may be an ask as Carson was a stable force. I also get the feeling Schotty probably likes the runaway train style of Carson (I do not and it’s why he has been injured every single season dating back to his senior year). Penny is a finesse guy who relies on vision and patience. We’ll see where that falls into Seattle’s plans. If he can act as a pass catcher he has a chance to earn the full Mike Davis role instead of further vulturing from Travis Homer, who I also like).
I think it is more Pete Carroll who loves the RB who will run through a wall for you. Thomas Rawls had his day in the sun too. This style of running always seems to lead to injuries a few exceptions?, but I can understand the appeal of a RB who can impose their will on a defense and always fights for extra yardage. 

As far as Brian Schottenheimer when he was having a lot of success with the Jets it was mostly Thomas Jones doing the work for him. They did draft Penny to be the guy here and I don't think he is a bad player.

The gum pummeler just lives in the now and will use Carson as long as he can do that for him.

I tend to think they will throw the ball more this year and especially if Penny plays over 50% of the snaps over the season. I do think he is a better receiving option than Carson.

Six Things We Learned From Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer at Seahawks 2019 OTAs

Excerpt:

Rashaad Penny is making strides in his second season.

Rashaad Penny showed plenty of promise as a rookie, including a 108-yard performance in a Week 9 game at Los Angeles, but the 2018 first-round pick is showing signs of being a more mature player heading into his second season.

“It has been cool to watch Rashaad, watch him grow up, watch him mature, watch him learn to be a pro,” Schottenheimer said. “I’m really pleased with the way he is attacking practice right now. Last year, he didn’t know what he didn’t know. Now he’s got some leadership ability, he’s getting a ton of reps because obviously Chris (Carson) is out. But it has been fun to watch him grow. The talent is there, we all know that, it’s just him putting together consecutive days in a row, and I think he has done that the last couple of weeks. It has been cool to see him mature.”

Penny also looks to be moving better and “looks slimmer,” Schottenheimer said. “”He looks better, he’s moving around better.”

as someone said earlier he could be the steal of the fantasy draft. they burned a high draft pick on him , he's not going away.

Users who are viewing this thread