What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My dog is dying (update 5-10 RIP Kodiak, I'll miss you) (1 Viewer)

MikeIke

Footballguy
Some pics of Kodiak

For the last several days my black lab has been lethargic, not eating well, and spending most of his time alone in the basement. Just not acting like his usual self. I figured he was sick, but nothing too serious. He's also 10 years old, not young for a Lab but also not advanced old age. 

Took him to the vet today. The diagnosis is not good: he suspects a tumor on the spleen has ruptured and is bleeding internally. This has caused anemia - Kodiak's red blood count is about 20% lower than it should be. 

Surgery is an option, but would be expensive and probably only give him another 3 months. From reading up on this condition, Canine Hemangiosarcoma, once it happens there's really nothing to do. So now I have to decide whether to put him down or let it occur naturally. The vet said he's not in pain. So far the only negative I'm seeing is his lack of energy. 

I'm going to miss the big galoot. He's dumb as a box of rocks but he's gentle and loving. He's a Retriever that never learned to retrieve. Toss a stick or a ball  and he'd look at you as if to say, "what'd you do that for?" But if you wanted to cuddle, he'd lay there all night with you, just giving and accepting love. 

If you have a dog, give it an extra hug tonight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to hear. That photo of him laying in the leaves is beautiful  What a good looking, handsome boy.

It is so hard and heartbreaking to deal with this. I feel for you buddy. These guys become such a huge part of our lives.

Agree with Bucky, whatever you decide will be the right decision.

Best wishes MikeIke to you and your family. God Bless You Kodiak.

He's a Retriever that never learned to retrieve. Toss a stick or a ball  and he'd look at you as if to say, "what'd you do that for?" But if you wanted to cuddle, he'd lay there all night with you, just giving and accepting love. 
Sounds exactly like my yellow lab, except I have the only lab in the world that's afraid of water. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear Mike. Dogs ask for nothing and give everything. And their whole life is dedicated to you and your family. And the hardest thing to do is to say goodbye to that galoot and let him go out painless and in peace.

Prayers to you and your family - but just by your post it's easy to tell that dog had one good life.

It just baffles me that one day he's  his normal self, the next he seems tired, and *poof* he's got cancer and even though we could operate, it would only give him another three months. 

But after reading about this particular cancer, that's pretty much exactly how it goes. Every time. 

He's a Retriever that never learned to retrieve. Toss a stick or a ball  and he'd look at you as if to say, "what'd you do that for?" But if you wanted to cuddle, he'd lay there all night with you, just giving and accepting love. 

If you have a dog, give it an extra hug tonight. 
Lol. Thought I had the only lab that had no desire to retrieve.?

If he's not suffering now, enjoy the time while you can. You'll know when the time has come. Worst day of my life when that time came. 

Even if it's a few days, it's worth it. 

My black lab, Karis, also did not retrieve. She was so smart and gentle. I had to let her go last May. I'm so sorry. 

I bawled like a little baby when we had to have our Lab put down. Ugh. I don’t wish that on my worst enemy. Hang in there and remember the great times together. I’m sorry you’re going thru this. 

I'm very sorry to hear that.  You and your family have my best wishes and my condolences.  It really sucks how short dog's lives are.  I love dogs and will always want them to be a part of my family, but it hurts so much when they die.  I wish we could spend more time with them.

It just baffles me that one day he's  his normal self, the next he seems tired, and *poof* he's got cancer and even though we could operate, it would only give him another three months. 

But after reading about this particular cancer, that's pretty much exactly how it goes. Every time. 
Sorry bud, sucks big time.  My lab had the exact same thing if I remember right (ten years ago), mine was only 6 though. That last day I bought him a dozen cheeseburgers and we drove to the vet.  He chowed them all down in the back of the truck and was in a good place shortly after.  

Sorry bud, sucks big time.  My lab had the exact same thing if I remember right (ten years ago), mine was only 6 though. That last day I bought him a dozen cheeseburgers and we drove to the vet.  He chowed them all down in the back of the truck and was in a good place shortly after.  
Dammit, this made me literally :cry:

Nothing against your post, I guess I'm just picturing him chowing on his last meal. Kind of like when I gave my beloved cat a tin of sardines before having him put down several years ago. 

Went through the same with my black lab about 4 years ago. Opted for surgery but when they opened him up they found it was aggressive and recommended I put him down. He was 9. English Black Lab.  Great dog.  

Enjoy the time you have.  The three months extra might just cause him more suffering but just down the road.  Sorry you have to go through this it’s awful.  

Sorry man. Last one I had to put down was about 3 years ago. Always sucks. Dogs are smart about this stuff. Even if you put him down, I truly believe most times dogs understand you're doing what's best for them out of love.

Sounds exactly like my yellow lab, except I have the only lab in the world that's afraid of water. :lol:

I'm sorry to hear Mike. Dogs ask for nothing and give everything. And their whole life is dedicated to you and your family. And the hardest thing to do is to say goodbye to that galoot and let him go out painless and in peace.

Prayers to you and your family - but just by your post it's easy to tell that dog had one good life.
My black Lab's idea of "fetch" is
1) run out to the space where the ball is about to the thrown, like an outfielder getting in position
2) catch ball
3) run to spot that seems comfortable
4) lay down and go to work chewing the fuzz off the ball
5) profit

And when I take her to the off-leash park... she immediately runs full speed down to the pond to play with the swimming dogs, but she doesn't swim.  She loves to splash around the bank, but if the water gets deep enough to reach her torso, she heads back towards land.  

And when I take her to the off-leash park... she immediately runs full speed down to the pond to play with the swimming dogs, but she doesn't swim.  She loves to splash around the bank, but if the water gets deep enough to reach her torso, she heads back towards land.  
When I take Kodiak to the dog park, he immediately runs off to all the humans gathered around so he can get loved on. He doesn't care about all the new dogs, doesn't  want to play, he doesn't want to run or swim. Just wants to get petted by as many people as he can. My wife  says he's a "hand whore."

Tonight I bought three different bags of meat-based dog treats. The vet basically said 'let him eat whatever he wants, he's going to die soon.' (though not in those words, obviously) 

Kodiak has been enjoying his night of yummy treats and constant love and attention from the family. 

Sorry man.  Losing a pet sucks just take whatever little solace you can from the fact you gave him a good life.

Sorry man.  Losing a pet sucks just take whatever little solace you can from the fact you gave him a good life.
Thank you.

Kodiak was a rescue from a rural humane society. Abandoned as a puppy,  he lived as a foster with my aunt until we adopted him. He lived in her garage. 

Seriously, he'd never even encountered stairs until he came to live with us. He had no idea what to do when confronted with a staircase. "Do I go up? Do I go down? Do I just sit here and wait?" It was certainly an interesting experience watching a 6 year old farm dog get used to life as a suburban pet. 

I think his life was better and much more interesting since he came to live with us. I take solace in the fact that his life with us was the best possibility he could have hoped for. 

Damn it, now I'm crying again. 

Sorry to hear this. Few things are harder than losing such amazing companions. It's the agreement we all understand when we get these creatures, but nothing ever prepares you for the time when you have to say good bye.  :(

I’m soooooooooo very sorry Mike. My last dog Django (named by somebody else before the movie came out!) went in for a routine checkup and I had to put him down unexpectedly the next day. IT EFING SUCKS GIANT MONKEY BALLS! :rant:  

I’ve had to put down 3 and after this next one I’m done. I won’t put myself through it again. 

Again, so sorry my dude. 

So sorry bud. We own four dogs and two of them are in their teens it's something I am dreading. Dogs should really have the life span of a bird. 

Sorry GB! We lost both of our dogs unexpectedly about six weeks apart this past December and January. The first one from an obstruction in her intestine (she was 13) and then 4 weeks later my 6 year old was diagnosed with lymphoma and we had to put her down 2 weeks later. Wife and I were talking last night about how much we miss them! I would continue to spoil Kodiak until the day comes and like others have said, you will know when that day should be. 

Do your kids know? 

Never easy losing a family member.

Been there ... twice.

We were able to prolong the life of our last dog 2 years past the vets prognosis (liver disease) by feeding a whole food diet and probiotics. 

We learned that the trash that's in most dog food is horrific. The vets "prescription" dog food wasn't much better.

Not sure anything will help with cancer though (if the vet is correct).

So sorry to hear.  Pets > humans in my mind. I lost my beloved guinea pig who was with me through cancer last Sept right after my last surgery due to the neglect of others boarding her. I am consoled knowing I gave her a great life. I hope you focus on that with Kodiak as it's obvious you love him, and he knows it. Pets are family and it's never easy to lose a family member. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Very sorry to hear. Had to put my chocolate lab down 7 years ago at 11 years old.  One of the hardest things I have encountered in my life.  Just like Kodiak it was like a light switch clicked and went from happy healthy dog to lethargic and riddled with cancer.

Best wishes to Kodiak and your family.

Sorry to hear this. It is never easy knowing when it is the right time to put a pet down, but somehow you will just know. It really is losing a member of the family. :cry:

Sending positive vibes to you and Kodiak. 

So sorry to hear this, MikeIke. I lost both of my best friends several years back, including a black lab mix that was a bit smaller than Kodiak.  

I have been faced with the same decision a couple of times, and I looked at it how you have. How much more time would they have and what quality of life would they have for it. I don't think you're wrong if you decide the price is too much for how much longer it would give him.

It will hurt, but the pain will fade in time. I've got a picture of my other one I lost as my avatar now, and seeing it only makes me smile as I remember him rather than remembering how it hurt when I lost him.  I hope you and your family can make it to that point quickly when the time comes.

So sorry. Kodiak is lucky to have you and your family. We went through this last year with our yorkie; her kidney failed at the age of 13. :(

I’ll share what helped me the first time...

Dammit I’m tearing up as I write this but...

Pictures. Looking through all the pictures helped me. I sat in a room by myself and looked through them balling hysterically, cussing god the whole time. I was upset and angry, then just angry at being so upset. After awhile you exhaust yourself of being angry and while it still stings, you sorta get the worst part over with so you can at least function. 

I have a Presa Canario named Stella and as I told my wife, this will be my last dog. I raised this dog from the time she was no bigger than a beanie baby to the 130 lb monstrosity she is today. The wife and I were in a bad place and the dog and I shared a couch in the basement. Stella slept on my chest for nearly the first year of her life.

My wife wants another dog after Stella passes. (Stella doesn’t get along well with others) I have been adamant that it’s a hell no from me. I raise the dogs, I take them to the vet, I handle their surgeries and I have to hold them while the vet kills them in my arms. I have to go pick them up a few days later, dig the hole and bury them. #### THAT ####!!!! I’m refuse to do it after Stella goes. 

So sorry man, I am going through the same thing with my hound dog Maggie. Mass on her spleen about the size of a softball they said, hers hadn't ruptured thankfully. We had it removed 3 weeks ago and had it biopsied and it came back an extremely aggressive sarcoma that would be highly unlikely to respond to any treatment. It has also already spread to her liver. She has anywhere from a few weeks to 2 months left at the most.

Vet said she will be fine until one day she isn't fine. Wife and I just got done taking her for a nice, not-strenuous hike with our other dogs in the mountains Sunday where she got to swim in a lake. Going to go hiking again this weekend both Sat & Sun. She's getting all the treats and pampering she can handle until the end. And now I'm #######  :cry:  too

the only time your dog will hurt you...is when he dies...very heartbreaking

this has helped me in the past to do what needs to be done 

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,