What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"How's everything tasting?" "Can I get you anything else?" (1 Viewer)

"How's everything tasting?" "Can I get you anything else?"

• Total voters
No need to table-touch repeatedly through the meal, but please be present semi-regularly and come over if signaled or eye contact is made.

Generally a well served meal should be on autopilot after the first post-service check-in... but sometimes a need arises and it sucks to spend 10 mins waiting/searching for a server. 

Checking in is fine.  "How is everything" or "how are you folks doing" is completely inoffensive.  However, "How's everything tasting" drives me up a wall.  Do they expect a detailed breakdown of my gustatory sensations?  Why not ask how my tactile experience is going as well, and if everything is pleasant from an olfactory standpoint?  Just simply stop this already. 

I love the places where you buy your own beer at the bar and order your own food at a counter and settle your tab whenever. I really have no need for the whole “server” concept.

Everything is great, and dinner is going exceptionally well.  Do you have change for the condom machine in the bathroom?

Checking in is fine.  "How is everything" or "how are you folks doing" is completely inoffensive.  However, "How's everything tasting" drives me up a wall.  Do they expect a detailed breakdown of my gustatory sensations?  Why not ask how my tactile experience is going as well, and if everything is pleasant from an olfactory standpoint?  Just simply stop this already. 
I gave you a "like" solely for your use of the phrase "gustatory sensations"? If I was musically talented--I'd ask for your permission to use that as my band name.  It's beautiful.  

St. Louis Bob said:
When I'm celebrating a special occasion at the Olive Garden I hate constantly being interrupted with these types of questions.  I'll let you know when we want some more bread sticks, toots.
This is ####in delicious. Best food I've ever had, ever. Is this made by angels in heaven? I think I had an orgasm!  

The first time is usually code for, "I know I said I'd be taking care of you, but I really just took your order and then had some other person take your food out to you. Oh, and I didn't explain clearly to them who got what, so you had to play that game yourself when it arrived.  So now I'm just making sure you actually got everything you ordered."

Can I start you off with some Shrimp poppers or hot wings? Maybe a Cola or a margarita to drink? 

I have never...ever sat down, heard that suggestion spiel, and thought "Why Hell..I wasn't PLANNING on having an appetizer but you just sold me on it. Got job little buddy!" 

I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I mean I'll tip if somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth the effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Can I start you off with some Shrimp poppers or hot wings? Maybe a Cola or a margarita to drink? 

I have never...ever sat down, heard that suggestion spiel, and thought "Why Hell..I wasn't PLANNING on having an appetizer but you just sold me on it. Got job little buddy!" 
Save room for dessert?  Our brownie delight is realllly good

I've never heard the "how's everything tasting thing" (I don't go out to eat much), but that does make my skin crawl. 

A step further, I hate open ended questions in general. I've discussed this with the staff, with moderate success. "Are you guys doing okay?" is a total waste of time, imo. They almost always say, "yes", and why wouldn't they? You may as well be asking them if they are happy in life. Then 90 seconds later they'll be asking you for a drink refill (you'd be amazed how few people look at their own drinks when asked how they are doing at a restaurant). 

If people have a problem, if you are around and available, they'll tell you. So, " how is everything" also seems like a waste of time to me. People generally do not care to give you a rating of their meal. 

So, I try to get them to ask specific questions and have a specific reason for every table visit. Now, 99% of those reasons are drink refills and pre-bussing tables. Refill the drinks and get these ####### dirty dishes out of my face are about the only thing customers care about, imo. "Would you like some more (whatever they are drinking)?" and "would you like me to get that out of your way?" are the questions I prefer. And I'm not really asking either, btw. I'm there because I know you probably need a drink refill. I'm asking now because I have time now and know I may not in 90 seconds. And don't get me started on pre-bussing, but for this discussion, I'm mostly going to the table about it because it's important for the entire operation of our restaurant that those dishes are out of your face and back in the kitchen so they can be washed. 

I'm not sure why, but I fully believe it's important to name the specific drink they are drinking when offering a refill. The staff doesn't always believe me, but it shows you are paying attention. I don't like a generic "would you like a more to drink/refill?" I could be wrong on that. But I want the entire staff to know the entire situation at all times. 

One question I do ask when delivering food isn't technically open-ended, but sort of is. When taking food to the table. I often ask, "Do you guys need any hot sauce or anything?" I do this for 2 reasons. First, I personally hate going to restaurants and having to pull teeth for a decent hot sauce. Not a ### #### ramekin of Frank's, but a bottle of real hot sauce is what I almost always need with my meal. If the food isn't spicy or I can't get a decent hot sauce without hassle, I don't go to that restaurant again. The 2nd reason is that I'm also asking, "do you have everything you need?" It's not about hot sauce, but about whatever random #### you are going to flag me down 60 seconds later asking for. 

BTW, I swear, I'm not as much of a pain the ### to work for ### this response might make you assume. I discuss these things periodically, but don't harp on them. 

this is your chance to break into your best Top Chef judge shtick. "This porkchop is toothsome, but I'm not getting enough heat. And this parsley, what am I supposed to do with this?And everything needs salt."

I dislike when another crew of people serve you your food.  They never know who ordered what and if they have the full order.  If you ask for extras or something different that needs to be substituted on the side, they rarely get that correct.  

this is your chance to break into your best Top Chef judge shtick. "This porkchop is toothsome, but I'm not getting enough heat. And this parsley, what am I supposed to do with this?And everything needs salt."
:lmao:    Will try.  Shouldn't be too long before the opportunity arises.  I'll tell them how everything smells and what I can hear as well, as a bonus. 

Most places require upselling.  Usually there are bonuses and incentives involved.  

Yeah, this is dumb.  More sensible is suggesting the specials or pointing out some sort of promotion on the nachos, etc.  But it's a complete waste of time when I sit down and get asked "A pitcher of margaritas for you tonight?"  No, thanks; I'll keep my own counsel as to what culinary delights might intrigue me this evening.  

"How's everything tasting?". It's Olive Garden so it all tastes like microwaved Marie Callender meals, but I knew that coming in.
I just want to quote this for excellence because when I'm with co-workers and some dolt says "let's go to Olive Garden" like it's this AMAZING lunch experience and I roll my eyes and say "hell no" I get this look from everyone like I'm some sort of culinary snob and that's just not the case.  The fact of the matter is, Olive Garden to me, literally, is EXACTLY like microwaved Marie Callender (except it's more tepid and bland) which is fine for $1.29 but not for $15 plus tip plus at least one "how's everything tasting?" thrown in for good measure!

I just want to quote this for excellence because when I'm with co-workers and some dolt says "let's go to Olive Garden" like it's this AMAZING lunch experience and I roll my eyes and say "hell no" I get this look from everyone like I'm some sort of culinary snob and that's just not the case.  The fact of the matter is, Olive Garden to me, literally, is EXACTLY like microwaved Marie Callender (except it's more tepid and bland) which is fine for $1.29 but not for $15 plus tip plus at least one "how's everything tasting?" thrown in for good measure!
I get your point and feel the same way.  However, I used to feel like your co-workers about Olive garden before i was able to afford really nice restaurants.  Now that I've seen the light of really fine meals, it's tough to go back to my previous standards.  

If it's a customer appeasement tactic where the service is otherwise terrible, then I wouldn't like it, but if it's an attentive thing and the service is good, I don't mind the intrusion at all. I think sometimes people can be a little too demanding and curmudgeon their way into unhappiness at times.   

“Can I start you off with an appy” is fine.  Mentioning specific items off the menu is gauch.  

Users who are viewing this thread