What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Thread (2 Viewers)

We did pages on this before.   It's another situation where facts don't matter.  He's just repeating the narrative.  
There are no clear facts on this. It's actually quite murky. Some people point to it being a childhood nickname. Some people point to him going by Robert in college. And some people point to "Beto" becoming a "thing" when he ran for office. Given how phony this guy is, it's my OPINION that it was strategic. Plenty of indications out there that he used Robert in academic and professional settings until he wanted to court the Hispanic vote. I'll be far from the last person to think this guy is a manufactured fake. From his nickname, to his intentionally altered speech pattern, to his intentionally altered hand gyrations, this guy is a complete phony in a lot of people's eyes. And that's BEFORE the other Democratic candidates start throwing the label at him. And it will happen so get used to it.

There are no clear facts on this. It's actually quite murky. Some people point to it being a childhood nickname. Some people point to him going by Robert in college. And some people point to "Beto" becoming a "thing" when he ran for office. Given how phony this guy is, it's my OPINION that it was strategic. Plenty of indications out there that he used Robert in academic and professional settings until he wanted to court the Hispanic vote. I'll be far from the last person to think this guy is a manufactured fake. From his nickname, to his intentionally altered speech pattern, to his intentionally altered hand gyrations, this guy is a complete phony in a lot of people's eyes. And that's BEFORE the other Democratic candidates start throwing the label at him. And it will happen so get used to it.
The photo link I posted above is not murky, - he went by Beto as a child. Here the link again that you ignored of him wearing a shirt or sweater top that said "Beto" on it:

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1106207263184834561

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo link I posted above is not murky, - he went by Beto as a child. Here the link again that you ignored of him wearing a shirt or sweater top that said "Beto" on it:

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1106207263184834561
I love how you think that proves he went by Beto in any professional or academic setting prior to running for political office. I also enjoy how you believe somehow that picture will cease the "phony" talk or prevent people from suspecting and then forming the opinion that he took family nickname and then began using it as his day-to-day name when he wanted Hispanics to vote for him. The reality with this guy is even if his birth certificate said Beto it wouldn't do a darn thing to explain the manufactured speech patterns and gyrations. Everything about the guy is a practiced craft.

Its ludicrous. People use different nicknames in different company and in different professions. He clearly had this nickname from his childhood. And has clearly used it at different times since his childhood. 
My RL name is not Robert, but it is a similar common name with many variations.

I've used 3 different first names at different stages of my life.

In addition, I've had 4 nicknames (all incorporating a portion of my first name): in junior high, while on active duty, post-university/early career, and a new one the last 5 years or so. 

I have never given myself a nickname - that would be really weird IMO - but once one sticks I just roll with it.

@squistion - kind of like the 1984 autographed photo from Jesse better but I guess you wanted the earliest version

Can anyone list Beto's accomplishments .... nobody in the media or the Democratic party can.

Can anyone list Beto's accomplishments .... nobody in the media or the Democratic party can.
:coffee:

If you support a President who was not previously in politics, but was instead a reality TV host with six bankruptcies, then you probably shouldn't attack Beto (a 3 term Congressman) over his of experience or accomplishments.

As someone on another board mentioned, it's ok to fight among ourselves during the runup as long as we don't lose track of the primary goal once the candidate is selected. Ask yourself this, is there anyone currently in the group of Dem contenders that makes you prefer Donald Trump as president instead of?

Was just reading this article. I'm not familiar with their work. 

Any input on them?
Precursor to Anonymous (at least in the war on Scientology), likely the first major hacking group on this continent.  Published a lot of essays, "how to" explanations, shock value stuff, and coded and distributed hacking tools to crack Microsoft based software.

Jesus, now I have to read everything he wrote for them under his handle.  "Psychedelic Warlord"

THE SONG OF THE COW

a poem by Psychedelic Warlord

>>> A CULT Publication......1988 <<<

-cDc- CULT OF THE DEAD COW -cDc-

I need a butt-shine,

Right now

You are holy,

Oh, sacred Cow

I thirst for you,

Provide Milk.

Buff my balls,

Love the Cow,

Good fortune

for those that do.

Love me,

breathe my feet,

The Cow has risen.

Wax my ###,

Scrub my balls.

The Cow has risen,

Provide Milk.

Oh, Milky wonder, sing for us once more,

Live your life, everlusting joy.

Thrust your hooves up my analytic passage,

Enjoy my fruits

Provider of Cheese

and other wonderful dairy products,

We will cleanse your inner intestines.

We will bathe in your Pungent Odor,

Gather cotton.

Count my eyes,

Smell my skin,

Love the Scarecrow and the Milkman.

I live only for eternity,

Thirst for the undrinkable.

Hold the heat,

Praise the dough boy at the pizza shop.

Love the Oxen dung!

Also, I believe they claimed to have lobotomized Ronald Reagan at one point, and that's why he couldn't remember Iran Contra.

A candidate for President published a poem in which one stanza reads Wax my ###/Scrub my balls/The Cow has risen/Provide Milk and no one is talking about this.  

I don't even know this board anymore.

I don't mean this to be disrespectful to anyone but if somebody tells me they aren't voting for Beto over Trump because of a nickname then I'm assuming that person is either crazy or crazy.
I hope that's not directed at me because there's an ample supply of reasons why I'd never vote for "Beto".  It's just an admittedly cheap, easy barb.

A candidate for President published a poem in which one stanza reads Wax my ###/Scrub my balls/The Cow has risen/Provide Milk and no one is talking about this.  

Our current president speaks and writes less sensible things than that...and he's not calling it poetry.

If you don't think that the Republican Party is going to double-down on xenophobia and racism this election cycle, you're not paying attention to what's going on out there with parts of the Trump base.  So much for the "economic anxiety" argument.  This is terrifying stuff at the local level:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/us/politics/trump-white-voters-politics.html
It’s always been about protecting power/status. The “economic anxiety” argument was convenient and dove-tailed nicely with all the criticisms of HRC’s campaign strategy (or lack of, regarding rust belt states).

You may have already seen this, it’s been linked several times I believe from the earlier days of the Trump disaster (presidency).

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/19/E4330

I really believe we need clarity about what is happening with Trumpism. This frequently repeated argument that there is this large mass of Trumpies who are decent, intelligent people who had valid reasons for their support needs to be put to rest. Ultimately (I’ve said this before many times) they’ve prioritized self interest over several different levels of decency/norms. 

If you don't think that the Republican Party is going to double-down on xenophobia and racism this election cycle, you're not paying attention to what's going on out there with parts of the Trump base.  So much for the "economic anxiety" argument.  This is terrifying stuff at the local level:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/us/politics/trump-white-voters-politics.html
That McDonald's is right down the street from me 😂

That said, the R candidate only carried 38% in a district Trump won by 7% in 2016 due largely to the movement of the educated and affluent areas trending blue.

Clearly the area I live is neither of those.

Huh.  That's interesting.  It's unclear whether he actually hacked anything.  Not to say his activity back then wasn't subversive, but I don't know that it's really accurate to call him a hacker.  
Yeah, I don't think he was a hacker.  But he was a member of cDc.  Possibly a founding member.

Someone is afraid of Beto:

https://hillreporter.com/gop-mocks-beto-orourke-photoshopped-twitter-post-his-dui-mugshot-27849

GOP Mocks Beto O’Rourke With Photoshopped Twitter Post of his DUI Mugshot

Beto O’Rourke’s 2020 presidential run is off to a positive start. Within hours of his candidacy announcement, he was endorsed by 4 members of Congress. Another sign of his successful launch is the Republican response to his campaign.

Donald Trump and other Republicans like deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley, have taken to calling O’Rourke, Robert Francis. His nickname, Beto, has Spanish origins while O’Rourke himself is Welsh Irish. The latest attack from the GOP comes via their Twitter page. They have superimposed a leprechaun hat on O’Rourke’s booking photo from his 1998 DUI arrest.

The GOP’s tweet reads, “On this St. Paddy’s Day, a special message from noted Irishman Robert Francis O’Rourke.” While the photo is meant to mock O’Rourke, it also calls on the stereotype that all Irish people have drinking problems.

(Copy of Tweet at above link)

I don't know why the GOP is afraid of Beto.  The guy wrote some stupid literature when he was a teenager -- nobody's going to trust a lunatic like that with the nuclear football.

Just speaking for myself, nobody on this board reads or cares about poetry.

Henry Ford said:
Maurile Tremblay said:
Just speaking for myself, nobody on this board reads or cares about poetry.
 That sounds like speaking for more than yourself. 
Was it my fault for not making the phrasing funny enough, or yours for not getting it? It's not like the joke was hilarious, but it was intentional.

timschochet said:
squistion said:
So much for the speculation that he disappointed...Beto outraised even Bernie in his first day. $6.1 million and counting....

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/18/us/politics/beto-o-rourke-fundraising.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
This news suggests to me that the enthusiasm is not for either of these two guys, specifically (since they aren’t really that similar) but for the Democrat.
What Sanders and O'Rourke have in common is that they are both widely likable. (Not surprising that a Hillary fan wouldn't notice this characteristic. :) )

The General said:
Odd way to put this. 

Kamala raised 20% of what Beto (and Bernie) did the first couple days after announcing. The rest of the front runners were even less.
IIRC, what Kamala raised in the first 24 hours after her announcement was considered a record at that time.   Bernie and Beto obviously blew way past her but overall I think it is accurate to say the the Democratic candidates as a whole are raising an amazing amount of money.

It’s subjective but what is likable about Klobacher?

She seems to be the most boring candidate in the field. Qualified and a good candidate but not exactly Mrs. Personality. 
I have pointed out her lack of charisma in several threads. She is the 2020 version of another Minnesotan Walter Mondale (hell of a nice guy, everybody liked him but someone that most voters found bland and unexciting).

I have pointed out her lack of charisma in several threads. She is the 2020 version of another Minnesotan Walter Mondale (hell of a nice guy, everybody liked him but someone that most voters found bland and unexciting).
Yeah I don’t get it. Have watched her on a few interviews and she’s amazingly boring. Her announcement speech to the race was setup to be a Hollywood scripted moment, with the snow, and I couldn’t make it through more than a couple minutes.

Checks a lot of boxes otherwise though. Look forward to the debates to see if she can shine

Users who are viewing this thread