What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trouble sleeping in your 40's (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
I know many of the members of this board have aged along with me here.  I am 46 and am full-on experiencing all the 40's have to offer with memory lapses, near vision changes (I have that one figured out ;) ) and harder to bounce back from activities.

Something I had not anticipated was sleep problems.  I go to bed 10:30 or 11pm most nights and every darn night wake up around 2 or 3am, then 4am and then 6am.  It can take some time to get back to sleep.  It is not like I am having to pee or anything, just wake up and try to go back to sleep.  Don't even have the mind racing, just wake the freak up.

Anyone else getting hit with this about this age?  What have you done to help, etc?

Sincerely,

Sleepless in Salt Lake

I've been dealing with this lately too (currently 44).  I've always been a restless sleeper, but it is more common that I'll wake up and not be able to go back to sleep.  That's generally when I have something stressful going on, and can't get it off my mind after waking up at 3 am.  If I don't have anything like that I will get up a couple of hours before the alarm, then do the wake up, fall back asleep dance for a couple of hours.

The only thing I have found that makes a difference is if I have a drink in the evening, I'll usually sleep better.  This leads me to believe there is probably some other chemical that would help the sleep process, but I really don't mind having a drink a night so I'll stick with that.

The worst thing is waking up on the weekends with nothing to do that day.  Getting up at five or six on a Saturday is something my dad would do, not me.  Though, he didn't pass the hours until everyone else was up by playing Call of Duty, so I have that.

I experience this at times, as well ... maybe a handful of times a month. More often, though, it's wakefulness associated with having to go to the bathroom.

I don't really have a great response for how to combat this "no apparent cause" wakefulness. I have a personal theory that I just have so much more on my plate these days than I did even a a decade ago -- it's probably low-grade stress that's causing me to wake up at times. Not being "stressed out" ... but just having a lot to process all the time and not really having a mental break..

I don't have that problem.  I'm 47 and sleep hard.

However, I am 100% attuned to my work/dog schedule, so on the weekend I am still getting up at 0500 and going to bed at 2130 or so.  I don't mind that - I like being up in a quiet house for a few hours in the morning.  Feel like I get a jump on the day.  On the weekend I try to get my chores done by noon, and then like to sit in my recliner reading a book in the afternoon and eventually taking a nap with a dog on my lap.

Have you considered throwing in a modest workout in the evening?  Might make you sleep better.

However, I am 100% attuned to my work/dog schedule, so on the weekend I am still getting up at 0500 and going to bed at 2130 or so.  I don't mind that - I like being up in a quiet house for a few hours in the morning.  Feel like I get a jump on the day.  On the weekend I try to get my chores done by noon, and then like to sit in my recliner reading a book in the afternoon and eventually taking a nap with a dog on my lap.

Have you considered throwing in a modest workout in the evening?  Might make you sleep better.
That is the thing, I go to sleep hard and easy.  Like out in a few minutes.  I generally run 4-8 miles 4-5 times a day in the morning.

Considering adding melatonin, but not sure about that whole thing.  Do not drink so that does not help.  I have been avoiding screen time in the evening as well, since blue light is a major sleep disrupter as well.

always sleep a lot better when i run after work.. and when i'm hydrated.

waking up to piss isn't an issue (yet :unsure: ) but i don't sleep well if i'm not hydrated. if i drink a tall water between 9 - 10 i'm right as rain and sleep through the night waking only for a second or two to roll over.  if i don't, i'm waking up 6-10 times per night.

I know many of the members of this board have aged along with me here.  I am 46 and am full-on experiencing all the 40's have to offer with memory lapses, near vision changes (I have that one figured out ;) ) and harder to bounce back from activities.

Something I had not anticipated was sleep problems.  I go to bed 10:30 or 11pm most nights and every darn night wake up around 2 or 3am, then 4am and then 6am.  It can take some time to get back to sleep.  It is not like I am having to pee or anything, just wake up and try to go back to sleep.  Don't even have the mind racing, just wake the freak up.

Anyone else getting hit with this about this age?  What have you done to help, etc?

Sincerely,

Sleepless in Salt Lake
Before you go to sleep aids - try a couple of things. First, a chiropractic adjustment - minor neuropathies may be what's waking you - and/or full body shiatsu massage (followed by lots of lemon water to flush the bad humores worked out of your musculature). Next a short focused breathing trick like Andrew Weil's 4-7-8. GL -

Sleep aids are great fun, especially Ambien.  Why go to bed and randomly wake up in the middle of the night when you can go to bed and randomly wake up in the middle of the night in your car naked, eating a salami sandwich, and driving in the opposite direction of traffic. *

* dont actually follow this advice

I'm not as old as you grandpas but I can give some recommendations on supplements you can take. Give Valerian root a try(make sure it doesn't interfere with current medications...Last time I checked it wasn't many). My mom uses that and it seems to help her. Melatonin is pretty popular as well. Also exercise helps alot, just don't exercise late in the day.

Try a sleeping mask.   Or a white noise machine.   Definitely the melatonin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m facing this now as I approach 42. Havent needed an alarm in a year or two.

No issues falling asleep. 

Waking at 2 or 4 is usually attributed to stress. Waking at 6ish is just unavoidable in most cases. 

I started having this problem over the last year. Some of it is stress, of course, but some of it is age. I sometimes take Ambien to fall asleep and have a better shot of sleeping through the night even if I am waking up before the alarm. 

I recently discovered a stash of Xanax in the medicine cabinet. While it doesn't help me fall asleep, it definitely helps me to stay asleep until the alarm. 

I have perfected sleeping over the years. Most nights I can go to bed and sleep 8-9 straight easy.

1. Never work out in the evening if possible.  If I workout later than 6 I toss and turn forever.

2. Take TV out of the bedroom.  If I could not fall asleep right away I would turn on ESPN to catch scores and that would set me back farther.  Took the TV out of our bedroom 7 years ago.

3. Once you turn in for the night do not check your phone or Ipad while laying in bed.

4. At least 20 years ago started sleeping with a fan in the room for the white noise.  Now my wife and I can`t sleep without one.  If we fly somewhere on vacation I will go out and buy one.

5. Make sure the bedroom is cool..nothing worse than falling sound asleep and waking up an hour later sweating your balls off.

6. Try to make your bedroom as dark as possible..we have room darkening shades and no nite lights at all. If I do get up I almost have to crawl to the bathroom it is so dark.

7. If all else fails Z-Quil with melatonin works wonders for me.  Sometimes I will take it on a Friday or Saturday night just to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours straight.  Plus the crazy dreams are like going to a movie. 

Near vision goes in your 40's.  I deal with this all day long, as I am an optometrist.  For years I talked about it out of theory, now I can talk out of experience. :bag:
I have always had great vision. Have only been to the eye doc maybe twice in my whole life (I'm mid 40's). I didn't even notice but I was holding my phone or kindle further and further away. Didn't even realize I was doing it until my wife started making fun of me :lol:

I sleep great when it's in the 40's.  My wife even cracks the window.  Now if it's 80 and humid, I can't sleep at all.  I would recommend a fleece blanket.  You are probably C(old).

I have had insomnia for about 25 years now, so I rarely get a good night's sleep even though I take sleep aid pills every night.  It's gotten to a point where 3 or 4 hour is normal and a good night's sleep for me is 5 or 6 hours.  8 hours is pretty much impossible.  However, getting up in the middle of the night after just a 2 or 3 hours to go to the bathroom is something that's become much more common for me since I hit my 40s (I'm 46). 

ETA - if I didn't have to worry about being drug tested things might be better.

I can't sleep in even if I want to on the weekends.  Go to bed at 10:30 wake up at 5-5:30.  Go to bed at 1 AM (rarely), wake up at 5-5:30.  I've had some tiring work days that I've fallen asleep at 9ish.  That really messes me up because I will be up at 4-4:30.

ETA:  I can sometimes catch a late morning or early afternoon nap though.  No kids at home.
That's me exactly.  I drank a lot Saturday, stayed up until almost 1 am.  Figured I could sleep it off with nothing to do on Saturday, but no I woke up at 6 with a raging headache.

I'm in the white noise camp... If I can't sleep I'll turn the TV to one of the stations that plays music all the time... "Sound Scapes" is my go to station.  Also, if I'm on vacation or something like that I'll listen to iHeart Radio on my phone on a classical station... anything without lyrics works for me.

On the plus side, when I wake up, I am up.  I have been getting up for decades at 5am for runs, so that is nice.   I guess I need to take a look at some melatonin and the Night ZZZ for when I need it.  I have used it for travel and it works great.

I have perfected sleeping over the years. Most nights I can go to bed and sleep 8-9 straight easy.

1. Never work out in the evening if possible.  If I workout later than 6 I toss and turn forever.

2. Take TV out of the bedroom.  If I could not fall asleep right away I would turn on ESPN to catch scores and that would set me back farther.  Took the TV out of our bedroom 7 years ago.

3. Once you turn in for the night do not check your phone or Ipad while laying in bed.

4. At least 20 years ago started sleeping with a fan in the room for the white noise.  Now my wife and I can`t sleep without one.  If we fly somewhere on vacation I will go out and buy one.

5. Make sure the bedroom is cool..nothing worse than falling sound asleep and waking up an hour later sweating your balls off.

6. Try to make your bedroom as dark as possible..we have room darkening shades and no nite lights at all. If I do get up I almost have to crawl to the bathroom it is so dark.
I do all this and still wake up 10 minutes after I fall asleep.

Its funny this thread popped up.  I'm considering a sleep test because things have become so bad

I do all this and still wake up 10 minutes after I fall asleep.

Its funny this thread popped up.  I'm considering a sleep test because things have become so bad
I have not considered doing a sleep panel yet, but if this continues I might have to.  It just sucks that I am so tired at the end of the day and get cloudy headed towards the end of the work day from the lack of sleep.

I have the exact same problem nas OP but am in my mid-30's.  It has probably been happening since late 20's.  In college I could sleep past 10 regularly.  Now I can't remember sleeping past 7:30 even on nights where I get hammered.

How do you feel during the day?  If booze isn't involved, I'll crash hard around 10:00 and be up around 5:00'ish with maybe a wakeup to use the potty once.  I've been using those morning hours to chill for the day and workout and usually feel great until crash time at which point I crash.

Maybe you just need less sleep now?  I consider that a win as long as its not less than say 4 or 5 hours. 

Sincerely,

Sleepless in Salt Lake
That must be why people your age are always at McDonalds reading the news paper at 4:30AM.

always sleep a lot better when i run after work.. and when i'm hydrated.

waking up to piss isn't an issue (yet :unsure: ) but i don't sleep well if i'm not hydrated. if i drink a tall water between 9 - 10 i'm right as rain and sleep through the night waking only for a second or two to roll over.  if i don't, i'm waking up 6-10 times per night.
swollen uvula..

Wait til your 50s.  I think I slept fine well into my 40s, but now I have trouble staying asleep all night.  Melatonin works fine to get me to sleep quickly but I wake up abruptly at 4 or 5 am if I take one at bedtime.  And I'm wide awake.  Stopped taking them and I sleep better.  

But can still get up at any time without the aid of an alarm clock.  

7. If all else fails Z-Quil with melatonin works wonders for me.  Sometimes I will take it on a Friday or Saturday night just to make sure I sleep 8-9 hours straight.  Plus the crazy dreams are like going to a movie. 
I find a simple shot of Nyquil does the trick.  Taking it 15-20 minutes before going to sleep helps on the front end, and while I typically wake up around 2-3 a.m. (and go pee), I can get right back to sleep.    

I wake up several times every night. I'm 42 and this started several years ago. Not sure how long it's been since I slept through the night. I can easily go back to sleep, though, so that's not a problem. It's annoying and I hate it when I have somewhere to go in the morning, but I work from home up to 4 days a week now so it doesn't bother me that much. My wife is the morning person and she's great about it, so I can just set my alarm for 8:20, hit snooze once, reach for my laptop, and start work by 8:30.

Maybe I'll give the exercise and hydration thing a try that was mentioned by @mr. furley. I don't exercise much anymore. I drink some water, but probably not as much as I should. Working from home a lot, those are two things that should be easy to fit in during the day.

If I use a sleep aid it actually makes things worse. I have a nerve thing. Doctor said it was rls

Other way around -- items within about arm's reach get fuzzier.
that's how i'd always thought about it but the web says it's the other way around  :confused:

Myopia (Nearsightedness) - Causes, Treatment and Symptoms

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/nearsightedness-myopia

Oct 4, 2017 - Is it hard to see distant objects, like highway signs, until you're a few feet away, but easy to read a book up close? Chances are you're myopic, also known as nearsighted. It's a pretty common condition that your eye doctor usually can fix with eyeglasses, contacts, or eye surgery.

:yes: I enjoy waking up at 0420.  On the weekends I'll read for a bit, poop in peace, then go for a run or ride before anyone is up. During the week I poop and head to work.  I can get to the gym by 6 and to the office before anyone else at 630. 

Wait til your 50s.  I think I slept fine well into my 40s, but now I have trouble staying asleep all night.  Melatonin works fine to get me to sleep quickly but I wake up abruptly at 4 or 5 am if I take one at bedtime.  And I'm wide awake.  Stopped taking them and I sleep better.  

Yep. Except it's 1 or 2 instead of 4. Ambien works well but I only use that a couple times a week. CPAP every night. 

I've also had issues with this in my mid-late 40s.  What's helped:

Water in the evening. Hydration. 

No caffeine after 1pm.

Cool temp in bedroom. 68F or lower.

Sex.  Don't let this take a backseat if either you or your SO (or both) are dragging due to several straight nights of intermittent sleep.

My body wakes me most nights, back is bad, need to move around a bit.  Many nights its my hot bed.  I just get too hot, no matter what.

Valerian root helps stay asleep. Melatonin helps you go to sleep. Hth

Users who are viewing this thread