What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Racist rhetoric in public (2 Viewers)

What about in your day to day life and interactions with people?  how many times have you heard things like this?
:lmao: . Dude obviously never gets out much. 

I don't think that giving individual or personal anecdotal information means much. Too small a sample size to extrapolate and draw any meaningful conclusions. If I had witnessed something like this a dozen times or not at all would have the same value. Plus of course, it could never be proven either way.
See. 

Karma is a #####:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/16/racist-viral-video-lawyer-aaron-schlossbergs-law-firm-yelp-bombed.html

After New Yorker's racist rant goes viral, his law firm gets pummeled with 1-star Yelp reviews

Aaron Schlossberg, a New York-based lawyer, became internet famous on Wednesday for the worst of reasons: a racist rant that went viral.

Schlossberg was captured on a smartphone video yelling at employees in the restaurant Fresh Kitchen in midtown Manhattan. His complaint was that the workers were speaking Spanish to customers.

"And my guess is they're not documented," Schlossberg said to an employee, who appeared to be a manager. "So my next call is to ICE to have each one of them kicked out of my country."

ICE is the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which is responsible for enforcing federal laws on border control.

Eric Fernandez@raffiafern

A lot of people are sharing this video. I shared it earlier and got a phone call from someone in my circle who went to law school with him. Aaron M. Schlossberg. Here's his website: https://www.aaronschlossberglaw.com/About/Aaron-M-Schlossberg.shtml … All systems go! https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/996725747711541249 …

8:34 AM - May 16, 2018
Beyond just facing the wrath of Twitter, Schlossberg's business is getting pummeled online.

His firm, the Law Office of Aaron M. Schlossberg, has been flooded with one-star reviews on Yelp, with commenters calling him a "vile racist" and surfacing other incidents of disparaging remarks he's made in public toward minority groups.

So many reviews were flooding Schlossberg's page that Yelp jumped in to say the listing is undergoing an "active cleanup alert." According to Yelp, when a business attracts posts because it "made waves in the news," the company works to "remove both positive and negative posts that appear to be motivated more by the news coverage itself than the reviewer's personal consumer experience with the business."

Schlossberg's website says the firm handles business and commercial law in New York.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Schlossberg donated $500 to the presidential campaign of Donald Trump, who promised to crack down on immigration and build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy posts a story about some dude in NY telling someone to speak English and then within a couple hours is tweet bombing the board blaming it on Trump.  Good times.
To be fair, you posted a link about how police shooting people isn't racist because it happens to white people and the link was to a black guy getting shot. People get heated sometimes.

I don't really think it's been normalized.  There's still a pretty big public backlash when things like this happen in the public eye.  The difference now is that depending on the severity of the matter, a large segment of conservative news media and social media rush to defend much like a large segment of the liberal news media and social media rush to denounce .

In regard to the situation at hand, the US has no national language.  40+ million Americans speak Spanish at home.  Sorry to break it to you, pal, but that train left the station long ago.  Diversity is interwoven into the fabric of the US, and people with opinions like this are ultimately drowned out, thankfully.
It a large segment of people are defending it, that sounds like people are trying to normalize it at least.

Also the train was never at the station. There were over 50 indigenous languageds spoken in North America before Westerners arrived and those Westerners arrived speanking English, Spanish, French and Dutch. 

Was at the Gas station this morning and saw a similiar incident of a group black men harrasing  2 Mexicans in the store.

To be fair, you posted a link about how police shooting people isn't racist because it happens to white people and the link was to a black guy getting shot. People get heated sometimes.
To be fair, I don't recall mentioning race in my posting of the link.  Later, I admitted that the person appeared to be white from the picture where I first saw the story.  Also, this has nothing to do with blaming Trump because of some clown in NY doesn't like Spanish.

He's quite the precious snowflake apparently:

“Please send help,” Schlossberg was then heard speaking into his cell phone. “They’re claiming things that aren’t true…grabbing me, not letting me walk.”

“They won’t let me move. They’re surrounding me,” Schlossberg said on the call before hopping into a yellow cab at on West 60th Street near Tenth Avenue.
https://nypost.com/2018/05/17/racist-lawyer-runs-scared-from-cameras-outside-home/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

To be fair, I don't recall mentioning race in my posting of the link.  Later, I admitted that the person appeared to be white from the picture where I first saw the story.  Also, this has nothing to do with blaming Trump because of some clown in NY doesn't like Spanish.
Well, I can't make you drink.  My only point is that we all hold some pretty strong biases that we try to use anecdotal evidence to prove, and sometimes we're flat out wrong.  When that happens, it no more proves the opposite than it proves the original premise.

So is Stephen Miller. Jewish people can also be racists and bigots.
Every race and religion is capable of bigotry and racism.

As far as the rhetoric in public....I would rather have it in public than behind closed doors where it does more damage. As Rust Cohle would sat... If the person is a piece of crap get them out in the open.

Every race and religion is capable of bigotry and racism.

As far as the rhetoric in public....I would rather have it in public than behind closed doors where it does more damage. As Rust Cohle would sat... If the person is a piece of crap get them out in the open.
I am not so sure...if a tree falls in the forest...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-lawyer-big-mouth-shut-racist-rant-viral-article-1.3994773

Manhattan lawyer keeps big mouth shut after racist restaurant rant goes viral

Big-mouthed bigot Aaron Schlossberg is suddenly saying nada.

The unwitting star of a viral video, in which he delivered a racist rant in a Midtown restaurant, emerged Thursday from his Manhattan apartment without any comment on his sudden notoriety.

Schlossberg, 42, wore a black ski cap, blue suit, white shirt and a striped tie as he hid behind an umbrella for about 10 minutes while ignoring questions from reporters.

The attorney, who received national scorn for his crude commentary, did call the police after accusing a Daily News reporter and photographer of harassment.

"They're yelling, they're claiming things that aren't true," Schlossberg said as he cowered behind a black and red umbrella. "They're grabbing my personal items. ... Defaming me. I can't even move, because they're blocking me."

It was a drastic departure from his frothing attack on Spanish speakers during the Tuesday lunch hour inside the Fresh Kitchen restaurant on Madison Ave. [...]

Schlossberg disappeared Wednesday as he became the target of widespread anger for his hateful diatribe. Thousands of web posters from coast to coast left one-star reviews for his law firm and angry denunciations of the lawyer.

On Thursday morning, the attorney finally climbed into a yellow cab on W. 60th St. and drove away.

Schlossberg's destination was unclear, but security at the Madison Ave. building where the attorney keeps an office said he was barred from entering.

"If he comes here, we're going to kick him out," said one member of building security.

Schlossberg, who videotaped his bizarre interactions with the media Thursday morning, insisted his access to the building was not revoked.

"False," he snapped. "False."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-lawyer-big-mouth-shut-racist-rant-viral-article-1.3994773

Manhattan lawyer keeps big mouth shut after racist restaurant rant goes viral

Big-mouthed bigot Aaron Schlossberg is suddenly saying nada.

The unwitting star of a viral video, in which he delivered a racist rant in a Midtown restaurant, emerged Thursday from his Manhattan apartment without any comment on his sudden notoriety.

Schlossberg, 42, wore a black ski cap, blue suit, white shirt and a striped tie as he hid behind an umbrella for about 10 minutes while ignoring questions from reporters.

The attorney, who received national scorn for his crude commentary, did call the police after accusing a Daily News reporter and photographer of harassment.

"They're yelling, they're claiming things that aren't true," Schlossberg said as he cowered behind a black and red umbrella. "They're grabbing my personal items. ... Defaming me. I can't even move, because they're blocking me."

It was a drastic departure from his frothing attack on Spanish speakers during the Tuesday lunch hour inside the Fresh Kitchen restaurant on Madison Ave. [...]

Schlossberg disappeared Wednesday as he became the target of widespread anger for his hateful diatribe. Thousands of web posters from coast to coast left one-star reviews for his law firm and angry denunciations of the lawyer.

On Thursday morning, the attorney finally climbed into a yellow cab on W. 60th St. and drove away.

Schlossberg's destination was unclear, but security at the Madison Ave. building where the attorney keeps an office said he was barred from entering.

"If he comes here, we're going to kick him out," said one member of building security.

Schlossberg, who videotaped his bizarre interactions with the media Thursday morning, insisted his access to the building was not revoked.

"False," he snapped. "False."
thanks for keeping us posted

This guy is definitely an ####### of the highest order, but why would he be barred from entering a building where he has an office?

This guy is definitely an ####### of the highest order, but why would he be barred from entering a building where he has an office?
I am trying to figure that out too, I am curious how they could legally do that. I found another article stating that too, but it quotes The Daily News article, and has no explanation as to why. Perhaps his actions broke some terms of the lease...

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/racist-lawyer-aaron-schlossberg-barred-entering-manhattan-office/

Racist lawyer Aaron Schlossberg barred from entering his own Manhattan office

Aaron Schlossberg, the New York City attorney who allegedly has been filmed at least three different times making racist, religious, or nativist attacks apparently is going to have a tough time returning to his midtown Manhattan offices.

“If he comes here, we’re going to kick him out,” a member of his building’s security team told The New York Daily News.

Schlossberg was caught on camera in a Madison Avenue Fresh Kitchen restaurant near his office screaming that several employees were speaking Spanish. According to reports two were speaking Spanish to each other while working, and one was speaking Spanish with a longtime customer.

Now, it seems the tables have turned.

“They’re yelling, they’re claiming things that aren’t true,” Schlossberg, dressed in a suit with a ski cap covering his head, and brandishing an umbrella, said. “They’re grabbing my personal items. … Defaming me. I can’t even move, because they’re blocking me,” he told The Daily News.

In a video from Thursday (below) Schlossberg can be seen trying to shielding himself from reporters and photographers. At one point he appears to be on his cell phone, saying he is “being accosted” by them. [...]

I could see a security guy making that statement as an expression of disgust vs something they were actually going to do. 
As to the original question, I don't think the racist rhetoric is normalized but I do think some people have become emboldened by the environment to say things they previously would have kept to themselves

better song for his anthem: https://youtu.be/4Uf_rTLqj0o

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, 
Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run.
You better make your face up in
Your favorite disguise.
With your button down lips and your
Roller blind eyes.
With your empty smile 
And your hungry heart.
Feel the bile rising from your guilty past.
With your nerves in tatters
When the cockleshell shatters
And the hammers batter 
Down the door.
You'd better run.

Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, 
Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run, Run.
You better run all day 
And run all night.
Keep your dirty feelings
Deep inside. 
And if you're taking your girlfriend 
Out tonight 
You'd better park the car
Well out of sight.
Cause if they catch you in the back seat 
Trying to pick her locks,
They're gonna send you back to mother 
In a cardboard box.
You better run.

Wow, they really did evict him.
"The midtown building where Schlossberg had an office has evicted him, telling News 4 in a statement Thursday, "Corporate Suites has a diverse and global community of business professionals working in a rich environment with mutual respect. We found Mr. Schlossberg's statements offensive and contrary to our community norms and have decided to terminate his services agreement with us."

And there's this:
https://www.gofundme.com/mariachisforaaron

"The midtown building where Schlossberg had an office has evicted him, telling News 4 in a statement Thursday, "Corporate Suites has a diverse and global community of business professionals working in a rich environment with mutual respect. We found Mr. Schlossberg's statements offensive and contrary to our community norms and have decided to terminate his services agreement with us."

And this is fun, too:
see this is where it gets troublesome for me. should him flipping out totally destroy his livelihood?

All that's happened is that his actions are public. And it is within his power to speak out and retract his words. People can make their own decisions on renting to him, hiring him, etc. DOubt it will totally destroy his career.

All that's happened is that his actions are public. And it is within his power to speak out and retract his words. People can make their own decisions on renting to him, hiring him, etc. DOubt it will totally destroy his career.
He has racists as his future clientele. That's one bright spot in his favor.

And there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

see this is where it gets troublesome for me. should him flipping out totally destroy his livelihood?
Absolutely. He is a NY licensed attorney and an officer of the court. He should know this type of behavior is completely unacceptable for anyone in a public place, let alone an attorney. Plus he apparently has been doing this for years and that is just from the few video clips that have aired, there is probably a lot worse out there that was never captured on camera.

There is a video that was posted online in 2016 where this blogger was assaulted on 5th Ave by Schlossberg while walking with his girlfriend. Schlossberg went out of his way to run into him with his briefcase, starting swearing at him, called him "an ugly foreigner" (actually this was a white guy born in Massachusetts) and held up his phone threatening to call police. There are other videos of him at rallies harassing Hispanics and Jews (even though he is Jewish).

He obviously has engaged in behavior like this for years without consequence. He deserves whatever happens to his professional career. I would like to see him disbarred but what I have read his conduct doesn't merit more than a reprimand unless he has a prior record disciplinary action with the NY Bar Association.

Seems to me, in this day and age, it would be prudent to avoid getting filmed issuing a racist tirade. Then again the racist in the white house has certainly made it somewhat acceptable to express such views openly. Seeing basically the same tirade from this individual a few years prior......yeah, I have no sympathy whatsoever for him. You reap what you sow.

He just cracked top 5 for angriest white guy of the year.   Nominations close at the end of the summer.  

Absolutely. He is a NY licensed attorney and an officer of the court. He should know this type of behavior is completely unacceptable for anyone in a public place, let alone an attorney. Plus he apparently has been doing this for years and that is just from the few video clips that have aired, there is probably a lot worse out there that was never captured on camera.

There is a video that was posted online in 2016 where this blogger was assaulted on 5th Ave by Schlossberg while walking with his girlfriend. Schlossberg went out of his way to run into him with his briefcase, starting swearing at him, called him "an ugly foreigner" (actually this was a white guy born in Massachusetts) and held up his phone threatening to call police. There are other videos of him at rallies harassing Hispanics and Jews (even though he is Jewish).

He obviously has engaged in behavior like this for years without consequence. He deserves whatever happens to his professional career. I would like to see him disbarred but what I have read his conduct doesn't merit more than a reprimand unless he has record of this with the NY Bar Association.
disbarred?  Jesus Christ 

Yes, I left out that this was apparently not an isolated flip out "ugly f'in foreigner" is around 2:15 in urbanhack's video above.
If he really needs help, and is not just a hate-filled ###, hope he gets it.

To answer the question, No. It's not being "normalized". This kind of thing isn't remotely "normalized". It's why it's newsworthy. I suspect you knew that. But it sounds better for a headline to ask the question if racist behavior is being normalized. As you've seen, he could be disbarred for this. 

I voted for Clinton and have disagreed with most of what Trump's done. But in my opinion this kind of "Is it now normal to be racist?" talk when it's obviously not isn't helping anything.

To answer the question, No. It's not being "normalized". This kind of thing isn't remotely "normalized". It's why it's newsworthy. I suspect you knew that. But it sounds better for a headline to ask the question if racist behavior is being normalized. As you've seen, he could be disbarred for this. 

I voted for Clinton and have disagreed with most of what Trump's done. But in my opinion this kind of "Is it now normal to be racist?" talk when it's obviously not isn't helping anything.
Hey, Joe.  I wish this were true all over and I suspect it is where you live (and in New York where this story is) but it isn’t true everywhere. There are a lot of places in this country where no one or very few people would bat an eye at this reaction.  I live in one of them.  People made a lot of fun of the “wear a safety pin to show you’re safe” movement after the election, but the few liberals or progressives where I live (including me) still do it pretty often.  And it helps.

However, as I stated earlier, it isn’t “becoming normalized.”  It’s been normal in those places for a very long time. We should have been doing something like that for decades. 

As I also said earlier, I’ve never had a job that wasn’t working for myself where some white person hasn’t used the n-word in my presence. And it’s usually the boss. And I’m in a supposedly enlightened profession these days. 

Users who are viewing this thread