What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ⅿ- Mandalorian Series! (1 Viewer)

The new movies have the Resistance fighting the New Order.  Huh?

They looked and sounded legit, which is why I keep coming back for more, but they are basically a reboot with new characters.  Meh.  The last one (IMO) was the first Star Wars movie of all of them (including the Prequels, including Solo) that didn't end with a feeling of either "I want to see the next move RIGHT NOW!!!!!~!~!@!!1!!!!~!!" or "I want to see this movie again RIGHT NOW!!!~!~!11!!!!!".

This is like settling back into the SW universe in a way that The Last Jedi wasn't.

Also, they should have done this 25 years ago.

Also, they need some John Williams SW music up in this show.
That makes sense - I get what you are saying now.  

SPOILERS

Thought episode 4 was pretty cheesy and formulaic (maybe how I’m starting to feel about the whole thing actually). I’ll still watch it because Star Wars. But stranger comes to town. Meets lady who takes him in. He helps the poor villagers overcome the odds and the marauders that have been terrifying the village persons for far too long. How do you ask?  We will train the farmers to fight!  And set traps!  !

And you need a big plot challenge beyond that, and enter ATST.  Make him step into the pond. 

I wish you could stay with us hero. Settle down and we’ll have a life together. I’m a loner and this isn’t the place for me. 

Credits 
Three Amigos. 

I think we're up to date with it.

Love the idea of a yoda origin story (that's what this is, right?) and like the feel of some of the art direction and star wars universe immersion.

But feels like it was written by a troop of tweens playing D&D in moms basement...and not particularly inventive or bright tweens who have watched Kung Fu (TV show) and some westerns (including the poorly aped magnificent seven) and are just spitting it out. The writing alone has me on the verge of bailing, in spite of what I like. The wife said it felt like a throw away sci Fi Network movie in terms of quality...seems about right. And the mandolorians flat and detached voice over really doesn't help...it goes beyond the delivery, which I can get being intentional- also ties into the added production quality of it sounding like he's phoning it in through the helmet...really detached and elsewhere outside of the moment. 

It's disappointing for me- even with mid to low expectations.

Love the idea of a yoda origin story (that's what this is, right?) and like the feel of some of the art direction and star wars universe immersion.

But feels like it was written by a troop of tweens playing D&D in moms basement...and not particularly inventive or bright tweens who have watched Kung Fu (TV show) and some westerns (including the poorly aped magnificent seven) and are just spitting it out. The writing alone has me on the verge of bailing, in spite of what I like. The wife said it felt like a throw away sci Fi Network movie in terms of quality...seems about right. And the mandolorians flat and detached voice over really doesn't help...it goes beyond the delivery, which I can get being intentional- also ties into the added production quality of it sounding like he's phoning it in through the helmet...really detached and elsewhere outside of the moment. 

@El Floppo - :no:    This after the events of Return of the Jedi, so Yoda has already passed.   The pod that I was listening to said that this being would have come to be when Yoda was alive, and about the exact same time that Anakin was born.  

@El Floppo - :no:    This after the events of Return of the Jedi, so Yoda has already passed.   The pod that I was listening to said that this being would have come to be when Yoda was alive, and about the exact same time that Anakin was born.  
Oh....ok, I guess.

Were they expecting us to intuit that? I mean, they're talking about the same stuff politically and thematically, and the tech seems the same... which led me to question baby yodas world being so similar (I thought he was super duper old) and happening in a distant past. But not sure how we're supposed to get when this is otherwise, especially with baby ####### Yoda in the story.

Oh....ok, I guess.

Were they expecting us to intuit that? I mean, they're talking about the same stuff politically and thematically, and the tech seems the same... which led me to question baby yodas world being so similar (I thought he was super duper old) and happening in a distant past. But not sure how we're supposed to get when this is otherwise, especially with baby ####### Yoda in the story.
Good question, and I am probably not SW nerdy enough to answer that - what I am guessing is the timeline was talked about in the show descriptors or press releases, etc.  Maybe somebody else can answer that - was there something specifically said in the show that gave us this timeline?

There are some hints like the dirty Storm Troopers, a solo ATST, etc.. that points to this being after the empire was defeated and now these things have to find something else to do or are getting fractured and distributed.   These are things I am interested in, and just little details like the exchange between Herzog and the doctor (why they want Yoda, why are they not in agreement about the dead/alive deal, etc.. ). 

Last edited by a moderator:
The podcast I am talking about is Binge Mode - Star Wars.   I tried it because I like the Ringer movie pods.   They get nerdy about this to an impressive level.  The episode about EP1 of this show is where I got some of this info.  At the end Jason launched into a segment called "Jedi Temple" that gave the history of Mandalore, and despite not knowing who 1/2 the people they were talking about were, it sounded like some great GOT-level scheming and warring that seems 100x better than we have gotten in a SW movie.   I THINK they said quite a bit is in the Clone Wars TV show?  If so maybe I need to try that out.  

Good question, and I am probably not SW nerdy enough to answer that - what I am guessing is the timeline was talked about in the show descriptors or press releases, etc.  Maybe somebody else can answer that - was there something specifically said in the show that gave us this timeline?

There are some hints like the dirty Storm Troopers, a solo ATST, etc.. that points to this being after the empire was defeated and now these things have to find something else to do or are getting fractured and distributed.   These are things I am interested in, and just little details like the exchange between Herzog and the doctor (why they want Yoda, why are they not in agreement about the dead/alive deal, etc.. ). 
Noticed those things too, and wondered when...came up with similar idea as you. Except for baby Yoda...so thought all of these things we're in a kind of rinse repeat cycle, and we were in the distant past.

So I guess the mystery is- is that Yoda, a baby from the same species (my wife assumed Yoda was human and just beaten down into the Yoda weve seen because of his tremendous age...I assumed he was a different species), a clone of Yoda, or something else. That's kind of interesting. More interesting to me than weekly silly adventures that don't push the any kind of story forward.

Noticed those things too, and wondered when...came up with similar idea as you. Except for baby Yoda...so thought all of these things we're in a kind of rinse repeat cycle, and we were in the distant past.

So I guess the mystery is- is that Yoda, a baby from the same species (my wife assumed Yoda was human and just beaten down into the Yoda weve seen because of his tremendous age...I assumed he was a different species), a clone of Yoda, or something else. That's kind of interesting. More interesting to me than weekly silly adventures that don't push the any kind of story forward.
The pod pointed to these two as the most possible scenarios.  

Yeah...ok.

If I have to rely on outside material to tell this story better than the show, I'm probably out 
I would hope that they get to which of those are the case this season.  Just part of the mystery now - who he/she is, and what these people want with him.   

Yeah...ok.

If I have to rely on outside material to tell this story better than the show, I'm probably out 
I don't think the pod is telling a better story.  I don't think you're supposed to know yet.  That's the story.  The pods are just making guesses.  Theorizing about what it could be.  But at this point, no one knows.  And I think that's kind of the point.

As for knowing when it takes place, I'm not sure about that.  After you asked that question, I realized that I knew because someone on here said that.  But I'm not a huge SW nerd (only bigger than average (that's what she said)), so maybe I missed them say it.  I listen to a podcast, too, and they pointed things out to the point where I was like, "Am I not watching the show intently enough?"  I'm starting to think maybe I was looking at my phone during certain scenes or something.  I'll probably go back and watch the first couple episodes again. 

I don't think the pod is telling a better story.  I don't think you're supposed to know yet.  That's the story.  The pods are just making guesses.  Theorizing about what it could be.  But at this point, no one knows.  And I think that's kind of the point.

As for knowing when it takes place, I'm not sure about that.  After you asked that question, I realized that I knew because someone on here said that.  But I'm not a huge SW nerd (only bigger than average (that's what she said)), so maybe I missed them say it.  I listen to a podcast, too, and they pointed things out to the point where I was like, "Am I not watching the show intently enough?"  I'm starting to think maybe I was looking at my phone during certain scenes or something.  I'll probably go back and watch the first couple episodes again. 
Correct.  They are just saying what they think is going on based on timeline, past events, stuff from Clone Wars/books.   Nobody knows for sure in the TV show.   

So far what seems to be happening is it's an X-files type of thing:  the identity and backstory of the Mandalorian and the mystery of the yoda being are slowly running through the season, but they are doing "mission of the week" type shows as they go.  

Oh....ok, I guess.

Baby Yoda is just what people are calling him since we don't know the name of that species. I call him Boda to make it easier.

As for the timeline, they have not stated it in the script yet, just the basic hints you have all mentioned already. 

But it was Favreau himself who told the press the exact timeline before the series started.

I've tried to forget the prequels, so I don't remember Jango's delivery, but Mando comes across very much like Boba.  I think that is the intent, given the whole idea of making a show about one of the most popular cult characters.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The-Child-11-Plush/863451787

Baby Yoda plush

This 11-inch The Child plush toy will capture the hearts of Star Wars fans everywhere!

Inspired by the Disney+ series The Mandalorian, the adorable figure

Current Price$24.99$24.99

Preorder now. Item arrives by 05/24/2020

The Walmart product page has gone down, but it'll reportedly return at 12 p.m. PT (3 p.m. ET)

As for the timeline, they have not stated it in the script yet, just the basic hints you have all mentioned already. 

But it was Favreau himself who told the press the exact timeline before the series started.
They mention in the episode 4 that Cara Dune, Gina Carano's character, is an ex-shock trooper who fought with the Rebellion. And I believe she even references the Ewoks when talking about fighting the AT-ST. 

They mention in the episode 4 that Cara Dune, Gina Carano's character, is an ex-shock trooper who fought with the Rebellion. And I believe she even references the Ewoks when talking about fighting the AT-ST. 
Yup.  There have been a ton of indications that this is clearly post ROTJ.  The only thing they have not done is say exactly how much time has passed, so for now we can only point to Favreau's timeline.

I actually expected a short Star Wars text crawl at the beginning of the first episode to set the time line clearly but he must have felt that was too forced feeding for fans who could figure it out with out being spoon fed.

Excuse me if this has been brought up but....

I know there are a fair amount of theories that “baby yoda” is possibly the offspring of Yoda.  If so that’s impressive.  The baby is 50ish yrs old and this takes place a few years after Yoda dies.  So that means Yoda was slipping them past the goalie in his late 800’s!!!  That my friends is an example of the force at it’s finest.  

Excuse me if this has been brought up but....

I know there are a fair amount of theories that “baby yoda” is possibly the offspring of Yoda.  If so that’s impressive.  The baby is 50ish yrs old and this takes place a few years after Yoda dies.  So that means Yoda was slipping them past the goalie in his late 800’s!!!  That my friends is an example of the force at it’s finest.  
With "clones" being so prevalent in the SW universe, I'm thinking that a clone of Yoda is most likely the answer.  JMO

I like this show, but I'm starting to agree with some of the criticism.  I think there should be a lot more species/alien variety.  The 4th episode was particularly disappointing since that tribe they saved was a good opportunity to make them a new species, but instead they were all just human.  Also, while I like some of the wild west theme, I think it would be good to show some other settings, such as a major urban setting, instead of just these backwater nothing towns.  These planets are all part of a galaxy where interstellar travel is commonplace.  Not everything should be some crappy settlement.  I know he's trying to lay low, but plenty of people can disappear in a big, crowded urban setting.  Plus, there's a lot of potential story lines from various settings.  It's still a very good show IMO, but there's room for improvement.  We are 4 episodes in at this point so I thought some of these things would have been a part of it by now, especially the larger variety of aliens. 

I like the series, I just wish each episode was 1 hour instead. 
Well that's what happens when you have a main character wearing a permanent helmet and incapable of showing emotion.  Throw on top of it that he's nomadic and hence there are essentially no ongoing supporting characters (save for one baby) and there's not really a way to make an hour out of that.  Each episode is essentially the action scenes from a 1 hour show with all of the drama and emotion and character development removed.

I mentioned after episode 2 that while it was good so far, just repeating "oh cool that Boba Fett looking dude just blew something up!" and "awww isn't that baby cute" ad naeseum was going to get old really quickly, and it basically already has.  I assume the show will start to focus more on the mystery of Baby Yoda as we get closer to the season finale but it's probably going to be kind of a slog until then.  Honestly I would have been fine missing the whole previous episode.

What about Dooku?
This part of the story is fuzzy at best. 

As far as we know, no Jedi had been in contact with Kamino for ten years before ATOC.  Even if Dooku passed himself off as Master Sifo-Dyas a decade earlier when giving Jango to the cloners, it does not sound like they had any idea who Dooku even was during the ATOC time frame.

I like this show, but I'm starting to agree with some of the criticism.  I think there should be a lot more species/alien variety.  The 4th episode was particularly disappointing since that tribe they saved was a good opportunity to make them a new species, but instead they were all just human.  Also, while I like some of the wild west theme, I think it would be good to show some other settings, such as a major urban setting, instead of just these backwater nothing towns.  These planets are all part of a galaxy where interstellar travel is commonplace.  Not everything should be some crappy settlement.  I know he's trying to lay low, but plenty of people can disappear in a big, crowded urban setting.  Plus, there's a lot of potential story lines from various settings.  It's still a very good show IMO, but there's room for improvement.  We are 4 episodes in at this point so I thought some of these things would have been a part of it by now, especially the larger variety of aliens. 
I'm sure that saved a lot on production costs.

I hope you corrected her and told her, 'No honey, thats what we call a husband'. :)

I'm sure that saved a lot on production costs.
I think this is a good observation.

Disney does appear to be stepping lightly here.  30 minute episodes, low CGI use, and low prosthetic use are three key indicators of budget control.

Hopefully if this season is the success it appears to be, they will add more to the budget for season 2.

It is interesting to watch a giant like Disney proceed carefully where another giant like Amazon is throwing the kitchen sink at Lord of the Rings.

Huge budget increases do not equate to good TV (GoT final seasons).  I'm fine with the shorter, lower CGI stuff.  I would like to see more characters and depth, however.   

Disney worth about 2 billion.
You missed a couple of digits on Disney :)

They just spent $71 billion to buy Fox's properties.

They now own Marvel, Pixar, ABC, Disneyland, Disney World, Lucas Films, 20th Century Fox, Hulu, Walt Disney Studios, the A&E networks, Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong, and ESPN along with a ton of other stuff.

They may not be as big as Amazon but Disney was enormous even before the fox deal.

Some perspective on Licensing:

Sports Licensed business (all leagues + college) = roughly $25B

Disney Licensed business = $80B

Pretty sure she explicitly said what she was doing “after Endor,” which is a major enough timing clue that you don’t need to be an ubernerd up to date on all the cartoons to work out.  If the out-of-work stormtroopers in ep 1 didn’t set it clearly, this ep should have removed all doubt.

I think it's funny that people are upset episodes aren't an hour long.  The movies are 2 hours long and take years to make.  But you expect Disney to make an eight hour long season for a streaming service?  

Methinks some of the people's expectations are way too high.

RC94 said:
They're going for the wild west or Kung Fu (TV) theme.  I wouldn't expect there to be too many urban settings.

Everyone's expectations might be a little high for this show.  I think they're going for an entertaining serial, not something like GoT or Lost.

They're going for the wild west or Kung Fu (TV) theme.  I wouldn't expect there to be too many urban settings.

Everyone's expectations might be a little high for this show.  I think they're going for an entertaining serial, not something like GoT or Lost.
Exactly.  I don't think there plan was to make this series as costly as a movie.  But they aren't exactly cutting corners, either.  I mean, for a TV show, the special effects are pretty stellar.  

If Disney+ ends up being hugely profitable over a long time, I could see the shows get bigger and bigger budgets, but for now, they still have their feelers out.  You don't want to spend millions of dollars on a show that no one signs up to watch.  I'm looking at you, CBS.

I think it's funny that people are upset episodes aren't an hour long.  The movies are 2 hours long and take years to make.  But you expect Disney to make an eight hour long season for a streaming service?  

Methinks some of the people's expectations are way too high.
With all the money Disney has, and this was basically the only show they had for launch in the hyped Marvel and Star Wars universe that they have the monopoly on,  I can see people being a little down on the production value and the length of the episodes for a non-comedy show.   

I think I said it, but to me this has a feel like they had an idea for a Madalorian/Bounty Hunter movie, but used it for this and needed a little filler to get to 8 episodes or 4-5 hours worth.  

Exactly.  I don't think there plan was to make this series as costly as a movie.  But they aren't exactly cutting corners, either.  I mean, for a TV show, the special effects are pretty stellar.  

If Disney+ ends up being hugely profitable over a long time, I could see the shows get bigger and bigger budgets, but for now, they still have their feelers out.  You don't want to spend millions of dollars on a show that no one signs up to watch.  I'm looking at you, CBS.
I get what you are saying - I am sure some of the cheapness was a calculated assessment since they didn't know 100% how many subscribers they would have for Disney+.     

Users who are viewing this thread