What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm in Jury Duty... (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Room full of about 350 people, 300 or so have been called, the rest of us are sitting in this room and nothing doing for the time being. 

Is that good or bad? I want to get the #### out of here. Will they excuse the rest of us?

I’ve been on a jury 3 times. In my experience, it all depends on your number. Low number = high chance of being selected. At the last jury selection I was at the judge apologized to those with higher numbers, asking them to “hang in there”, there is almost no chance they would be selected, but they had to stay just in case. 

Are you stuck in a Seinfeld episode? If you get far enough somebody will ask you a question and your answer can be all criminals should fry and the electric chair.

Who else is hoping for a long sequestering? 
Hardly been on this site in the last 2 weeks, took me about 3 minutes to figure this one out...

Hey @Limp Ditka  so you get a TO and you post under an alias to try and badger me... you prob need something to do besides posting on FBG, just my .02. GL buddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still not called - so they broke about 300 people into 6 groups (about 50 of us weren't called into a group) - 3 judges - 2 groups per judge... Now everyone is back in here. 

If I don't simply get dismissed and have to come back tomorrow :hot:

I'm the next alternate in line for a grand jury term. I'm fairly excited to get my letter that I've been called in for relief.

Petit jury sounds pretty lame in comparison to grand jury tbh.

I am currently on a jury that will last into July.  There were about 200 potential jurors initially and it took two weeks to seat the jury (12 main and 4 alternates).  I was in the gallery for most of the two weeks.  I got called into the box and the next day the jury was finalized and I was in it. 

Are all 300 potential jurors for the same case or are you all just in a big pool for multiple cases? 

I might be one of the few people on earth that enjoys jury duty (not the waiting and doing nothing part but actually sitting on a case).

If they ever did create jobs for professional jurors I would apply.
I think I would really enjoy it too, but until they make laws stating that employers need to pay employees while on jury duty, I'll do everything I can to not get on one.  

I think I would really enjoy it too, but until they make laws stating that employers need to pay employees while on jury duty, I'll do everything I can to not get on one.  
I agree.  I was lucky in that the couple of times I served, my company covered it.

Hardly been on this site in the last 2 weeks, took me about 3 minutes to figure this one out...

Hey @Limp Ditka  so you get a TO and you post under an alias to try and badger me... you prob need something to do besides posting on FBG, just my .02. GL buddy!
LD is not on a TO and its a pretty open secret as to who I am. So congrats on taking about 2 minutes and 45 seconds longer than everyone else to unravel the mystery as to who Epic Problem is. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Room full of about 350 people, 300 or so have been called, the rest of us are sitting in this room and nothing doing for the time being. 

Is that good or bad? I want to get the #### out of here. Will they excuse the rest of us?
Where are you...which location?

I might be one of the few people on earth that enjoys jury duty (not the waiting and doing nothing part but actually sitting on a case).

I don't know if I enjoy it- served on two crazy juries and not picked two other times. But... It's a vital part of being a citizen and a crap-ton better than paying taxes.

LD is not on a TO and its a pretty open secret as to who I am. So congrats on taking about 2 minutes and 45 seconds longer than everyone else to unravel the mystery as to who Epic Problem is. 

This is some of my favorite shtick on the board... EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS WHO THIS ALIAS IS!#@#!#@!#

Then spill the beans, buddy... Those 3 minutes are about as much time I'm putting in.

Chemical X said:
Jury duty really is the worst of society.  I just don't understand why we don't make this job an actual job.  I would run for office on that platform too.  Professional jurors would be more experienced too.
I would vote for this guy.

I am currently on a jury that will last into July.  There were about 200 potential jurors initially and it took two weeks to seat the jury (12 main and 4 alternates).  I was in the gallery for most of the two weeks.  I got called into the box and the next day the jury was finalized and I was in it. 

Are all 300 potential jurors for the same case or are you all just in a big pool for multiple cases? 
T&Ps

In all seriousness, are you upset about this?  How is your work taking it?  Any more information you can give?  I'd like to see details when this is all over...

T&Ps

In all seriousness, are you upset about this?  How is your work taking it?  Any more information you can give?  I'd like to see details when this is all over...
I advised my work once I found out the potential length of the trial after the first day of jury selection.  I do get paid but I will be "docked" the amount I get paid by jury services ($15 per day).

Luckily for me the courtroom that the trial is in has misdemeanor arraignments on Tuesday mornings and felony arraignments all day Thursday so I can go into the office Tuesday mornings and all day Thursday.  It allows me to at least keep up on emails and handle some minor things.  It hasn't been too bad work wise yet.

The trial system actually interests me so I don't mind having jury duty.  This is a very interesting case so it hasn't been boring.  Some things get tedious as the attorneys ask the same questions over and over to various witnesses but it is fascinating to figure out the different strategies for each side as they make their respective cases.  Once the case is over I will come back on and give a little more of the details and how the deliberations went.  I think we have a decent group of jurors so it shouldn't be too bad but all it takes is one person and it becomes difficult. 

It's a murder case with a few other charges as well (burglary/rape).  I can't really say anything else about it but the charges are public.   There are cameras from local news in the courtroom every day. 

I enjoy it as well but think they could really streamline certain aspects of it.  It is very inefficient but much of that is because of the laws in place and how things can be overturned if proper protocol is not followed.  Sometimes better to be inefficient but have your t's crossed and i's dotted so technicalities don't overturn things.

Gally said:
It's a murder case with a few other charges as well (burglary/rape).  I can't really say anything else about it but the charges are public.   There are cameras from local news in the courtroom every day. 
Thanks for the details. I look forward to your update after the case.

I've never had to do jury duty as I've always been able to get out without having to show up. Someday I wouldn't mind giving it a shot as I think it would be interesting.

Gally said:
I advised my work once I found out the potential length of the trial after the first day of jury selection.  I do get paid but I will be "docked" the amount I get paid by jury services ($15 per day).

Luckily for me the courtroom that the trial is in has misdemeanor arraignments on Tuesday mornings and felony arraignments all day Thursday so I can go into the office Tuesday mornings and all day Thursday.  It allows me to at least keep up on emails and handle some minor things.  It hasn't been too bad work wise yet.

The trial system actually interests me so I don't mind having jury duty.  This is a very interesting case so it hasn't been boring.  Some things get tedious as the attorneys ask the same questions over and over to various witnesses but it is fascinating to figure out the different strategies for each side as they make their respective cases.  Once the case is over I will come back on and give a little more of the details and how the deliberations went.  I think we have a decent group of jurors so it shouldn't be too bad but all it takes is one person and it becomes difficult. 

Quick juror story. On my last jury, an abuse case of a child under 1 year old, the jury was picked, we listened to testimony over 1.5 days and then started deliberation. For those of you who have never been on a jury, you are not allowed to talk about the case until all the testimony is over. So during time in the break room, you talk about what you do for a living, your pets, the weather, etc.

Well, we all sit down after the testimony is done and this one juror, the youngest of the group (avg age: 65), says, "How many of you have seen 12 Angry Men?" Keep in mind that this case is very open and shut, the scumbag did abuse his 1 year old kid. We decide to go around and do a quick vote and of course you know what happened. Yep 11-1 in favor of guilty and that one jackwad is the "1".

It took another day for him to agree to guilty. It was an ugly scene, at times, in the jury room.

Thanks for the details. I look forward to your update after the case.
OK.  Here goes.  We ended deliberations on Wednesday and submitted the Verdict.

The case started middle of May and the closing arguments finished up on June 26th.   So we were there basically 5 weeks for testimony.  It was a case where the prosecutor charged the defendant with first degree murder, felony burglary, felony robbery, felony sexual penetration, felony torture, special circumstances - torture and special circumstances - using a deadly weapon (hammer).  The crux of the case was that the victim didn't actually die from the beating she took but died about a week later in the hospital due to a DVT that broke loose and caused a pulmonary embolism.   So the defense argued that the hospital care the victim received was sub-standard and that is what caused her death rather than the severe beating that the defendant put on the victim. 

When the charges were first given to us (the jury) I was really thinking the prosecutor overstepped their bounds on a first degree murder charge.  I was under the impression to get first degree murder you had to have intent to kill someone and seeing as the victim died of a PE a week after she was assaulted I thought it would be an uphill climb.  However, as it turns out if there is a death caused by actions during the commission of a felony by law the person committing the felony (any anybody involved in the felony) is charged with first degree murder even if there was no intent to kill. 

The perpetrator (and a partner) broke into the house of a woman in the morning while she slept.  Went straight to her room and started beating her.  In the process they stole about $200 in change, sexually assaulted her, strangled her three times to the point of her passing out and then fled the scene.  It was a gruesome beating.  The facts of the case were fairly straight forward.  Lots of DNA evidence that one of the perps (the one we were ruling on - there was a separate jury for the second guy) did all the beating and breaking into the house.  He was found with the stolen money.  He admitted to beating and sexually touching the victim in his interrogation.  But said he was only trying to make her "faint" so she wouldn't identify him.  Fairly cut and dry that this was the guy that did the assault.  That was never really in question.  The question was weather or not he was truly responsible for the death.

In the course of the hospital stay the victim has internal bleeding, went into A-Fib (she had a history of it) and ended up developing a blood clot in her calf (DVT) that eventually broke loose and killed her.  The defense was trying blame the hospital care since she first developed "cramping" in her leg (no swelling) a couple days before she died.  The doctors monitored it but didn't want to give blood thinners because of her internal bleeding from the assault.  During one of the nights the pain got worse and swelling occurred and a nurse tried to page the on call doctor for that night (about 9pm).  The page was not returned and the nurse continued to monitor.  The swelling remained stable and the pain subsided once the legs were elevated.  The next morning the day doctor examined the victim and found the swelling and another possible sign of DVT and ordered an ultrasound.  The DVT was found and they started on some blood thinning drugs (we are now 5 days removed from the beating and they felt it was safe to give the medicine as the internal bleeding had subsided.  This seemed to work as the swelling went down (as did the pain).  About 24 hrs later the victim went into cardiac arrest and they couldn't bring her back. 

The crux was the causation of the death.  The medical examiner concluded the chain of actions leading to her death started with the beating causing the victim to have prolonged bed rest (increasing risk for DVT) as well as the internal bleeding causing her system to go into a "coagulative state trying to stop the bleeding (also increased risk for DVT).  These items led to her developing the DVT which eventually broke loose and killed her.  So although the mechanism of death was the PE caused by the DVT the cause was the initial beating that led to bedrest, internal bleeding, and the DVT.   That was the case for the prosecutor.

We deliberated for a little under two days with the two main discussion points being whether or not the hospital was grossly negligent or did the beating directly lead to the circumstances causing the DVT & death.  We ultimately came to an agreement (based on the 60+ pages of jury instructions regarding the charges and what had to be proven for them to apply) that the defendant was guilty of felony burglary, robbery, sexual penetration, and torture.  Since he was found guilty of that and his acts during the commission of these offenses led to the death of someone he was guilty of first degree murder.  The only charge we couldn't come to an agreement on was the special circumstances of torture because that required us to agree that the defendant had intent to kill during his actions.  We couldn't come to unanimous decision on that count.  Regardless the guy is facing life in prison with no possibility of parole. 

Got jury duty. Waited in the big room for two hours. Watched Narcos Mexico on my iPad. Got called into a trial. Told the judge I was concerned with a trial lasting until 5 pm every day as I have nobody else to pick up child from school and wife works. She dismissed me. Walked back to jury room and was dismissed. See you in 6 years! People whine about jury duty but it's like a free day off for me. I binge watched Netflix in my sweatpants instead of driving to work in khakis and now I'm home playing video games.

Got jury duty. Waited in the big room for two hours. Watched Narcos Mexico on my iPad. Got called into a trial. Told the judge I was concerned with a trial lasting until 5 pm every day as I have nobody else to pick up child from school and wife works. She dismissed me. Walked back to jury room and was dismissed. See you in 6 years! People whine about jury duty but it's like a free day off for me. I binge watched Netflix in my sweatpants instead of driving to work in khakis and now I'm home playing video games.
6?  is it state by state - ours is 3...

I was the final juror dismissed for a federal trial a couple months ago.

imo - that was better than waiting in the big room.  Only because the #### was real - so you had to pay attention so it didn't make the day drag

Just for the record, I came within a couple jurors of being stuck on a trial that lasted months. Unless you are retired or jobless I can't see that as being "a good thing".

6?  is it state by state - ours is 3...

I was the final juror dismissed for a federal trial a couple months ago.

imo - that was better than waiting in the big room.  Only because the #### was real - so you had to pay attention so it didn't make the day drag
No clue. They said state is every 6 years but you can still get called by federal after 2 years.

Just for the record, I came within a couple jurors of being stuck on a trial that lasted months. Unless you are retired or jobless I can't see that as being "a good thing".
I was on a trial that lasted a couple months (posted about it above).  It was very interesting.  I understand how some employers won't pay for that amount of time and could be a hardship but if possible I would say being on a complex trial is very interesting and worth being on if you can swing it. 

Users who are viewing this thread