What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elevator Question (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
I do not ride in elevators frequently but every time I do, I think “what if it gets stuck?” Anyone ever get stuck on one? It happens occasionally in movies and tv shows but I do not know of anyone it has actually happened to. 

Never stuck in one, but right out of college I did some air quality testing at power plants. We had to move ourselves and our gear up to the testing platforms on the stacks via a stack elevator (picture a phonebooth on rails).

On two separate occasions the elevator broke down while I was up on the stack. Had to climb down several hundred feet of nasty industrial ladders both times.

Think I would rather have been stuck in the elevator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never stuck in one, but right out of college I did some air quality testing at power plants. We had to move ourselves and our gear up to the testing platforms on the stacks via a stack elevator (picture a phonebooth on rails).

On two separate occasions the elevator broke down while I was up on the stack. Had to climb down several hundred feet of nasty industrial ladders both times.

Think I would rather have been stuck in the elevator.
Did you have some type of safety harness clip system, to clip onto the rungs as you climbed down? 

I got stuck on one about 25 years ago in Manhattan. Like the 57th floor or something. We were at a wedding reception and we thought it would be a good idea to cram as many people in the elevator as possible so we could get out of there quicker. There were about 25 of us in there. Stuck for about an hour. It was a thousand degrees in there by the time we got out. It was horrific. 

I got stuck on one about 25 years ago in Manhattan. Like the 57th floor or something. We were at a wedding reception and we thought it would be a good idea to cram as many people in the elevator as possible so we could get out of there quicker. There were about 25 of us in there. Stuck for about an hour. It was a thousand degrees in there by the time we got out. It was horrific. 
That sounds awful! Were people losing their patience, panicking, etc? 

And that was before the baked beans kicked in...

Did you have some type of safety harness clip system, to clip onto the rungs as you climbed down? 
Nope, just a hard hat. probably should have, but there was somewhat of a cage around the ladder, so you could lean back against it and rest. Also, the ladders weren’t a straight shot. There  were landings every so often where you would stop, walk about 8 feet over, open a trapdoor, and start climbing down again.

So, I guess if I fell, I would have “only”  pinballed down 30 or 40 feet bouncing between the ladder and the cage until I splatted on the next landing. 

That's the stuff of nightmares. I don't get in packed elevators for that reason. 

Freshman dorm at Nebraska in '77 or '78 on the way down to the dining hall.  20-25 people for about an hour.  As MitB stated, it got warm and the claustrophobics went into action.  Lincoln FD appeared and we escaped via ladder through the ceiling to the open floor above.  Missed dinner.

Freshman dorm at Nebraska in '77 or '78 on the way down to the dining hall.  20-25 people for about an hour.  As MitB stated, it got warm and the claustrophobics went into action.  Lincoln FD appeared and we escaped via ladder through the ceiling to the open floor above.  Missed dinner.
Nightmares would ensue! 

That's horrible.

My time was probably about 8 years ago at a hotel in Toronto.  We just settled in the room and I decided to ride up to the top couple of floors (like 35/36?) to check out the pool and fitness room up there.  I was alone and the elevator got stuck between floors at the top.  I pressed the call button, and they said they'd get someone on it.  Took about a half hour for them to get it to where they could open the door. 

It was actually pretty quiet and relaxing.  I was so glad my wife wasn't on there with me, as she quickly panics on elevators at the slightest irregularity in a ride. But a packed elevator would be even worse (probably :) ).

I always wondered what your username meant

it does happen but rarely. About 7 years ago we had some people stuck in an elevator at work about 2 hours. Fire dept came and they climbed out when the elevator was about half way up the floor. Just a few months ago, the elevator got stuck in the parking ramp at the Domain shopping area in Austin.  Don't consider it a safety issue but you might want to go to the bathroom before you get into the elevator.

Twice.  Once when I was like 7 and I didn't get out fast enough.  Mom was outside, I was stuck in.  The other was when I was an hourly employee and got stuck at work for 2 hours.  That was awesome.

Just remember if you're in an elevator and it loses power and all hell breaks loose  and it  goes hurtling towards the ground at breakneck speeds,  it wont kill you.

Now the sudden stop when it hits the basement damn well could.

Carry on.

Just remember if you're in an elevator and it loses power and all hell breaks loose  and it  goes hurtling towards the ground at breakneck speeds,  it wont kill you.

Now the sudden stop when it hits the basement damn well could.

Carry on.
Not if you jump right before it hits bottom!

Never been stuck in one, but have been in one that dropped a few floors.

Hilton Towers in Atlanta, my wife and I got on one of the outside glass elevators on something like the 28th floor and the damn thing dropped to the 26th floor and a ceiling panel fell to the floor.
Sure it was only two floors, but man that'll pucker your ###.

Never been stuck in one, but have been in one that dropped a few floors.

Hilton Towers in Atlanta, my wife and I got on one of the outside glass elevators on something like the 28th floor and the damn thing dropped to the 26th floor and a ceiling panel fell to the floor.
Sure it was only two floors, but man that'll pucker your ###.
Did you get out on the 26th floor?

Did you get out on the 26th floor?
Yes.  Switched to an inside elevator.  There was no way my wife was taking that many stairs.  We received wine and cheese delivered to our room later that night.  Not much of a compensation for the scare, but we did have a good story.  Considering we were in Atlanta for the SEC Championship game, and Auburn thrashed South Carolina, we needed some type of story.

1981.  Big public New Year's Eve party at the Lexington KY Hyatt.  After-party scheduled in someone's suite upstairs.  25 of us cram into an elevator and it gets stuck between floor 7 and 8.  For four hours, no one could even bend their knees.  Already soaked with sweat from dancing, it went hellish in a hurry.  Had two bottles of champagne which we passed around.  Fire Dept showed up quickly and couldn't get the doors apart.  Had to take an ax to the upper part just to get the doors open enough to allow fresh air in.  We took turns lifting people up to the opening just to breathe a little.  Two people passed out standing up.  If someone had puked it would have caused a catastrophic chain reaction, but we dodged that bullet.  Finally pried the downs open enough with crowbars that we were able to crawl out.  That was the scariest part, thinking that, after all that, the elevator might slip and cut you in half.  We just took turns diving out to the lower floor and rolling around in the hallway.

1981.  Big public New Year's Eve party at the Lexington KY Hyatt.  After-party scheduled in someone's suite upstairs.  25 of us cram into an elevator and it gets stuck between floor 7 and 8.  For four hours, no one could even bend their knees.  Already soaked with sweat from dancing, it went hellish in a hurry.  Had two bottles of champagne which we passed around.  Fire Dept showed up quickly and couldn't get the doors apart.  Had to take an ax to the upper part just to get the doors open enough to allow fresh air in.  We took turns lifting people up to the opening just to breathe a little.  Two people passed out standing up.  If someone had puked it would have caused a catastrophic chain reaction, but we dodged that bullet.  Finally pried the downs open enough with crowbars that we were able to crawl out.  That was the scariest part, thinking that, after all that, the elevator might slip and cut you in half.  We just took turns diving out to the lower floor and rolling around in the hallway.
I know it wasn’t funny but I am laughing just thinking how awful that must have been.

You friends with any of this crowd still? If so, I would think that this night would be brought up periodically. 

Age 23, at my first job.  Stuck for about 30 minutes with two employees I didn't know.  Neither was attractive.  I missed a meeting with my boss, and when I told him "sorry, I was stuck in an elevator the past 30 minutes his response was "that's your problem, not mine."   I transferred to another group 3-4 months later.  He's gone on to be pretty successful, but not overly so.  Only the 3rd worst boss I've ever had.

At 7, by yourself?
I was in the elevator by myself but could hear mom on the other side.  We were on our way out of the dentist's office when mom exited the elevator right before me... I lollygagged then panicked when the doors closed.  I probably screwed it up pressing all the buttons.

I was in the elevator by myself but could hear mom on the other side.  We were on our way out of the dentist's office when mom exited the elevator right before me... I lollygagged then panicked when the doors closed.  I probably screwed it up pressing all the buttons.
LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread