What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Corden and Paul McCartney (1 Viewer)

I am not a music person and I wouldn't say I'm a Beatles (meaning I don't go out of my way to listen) but damn I love their songs when I do hear them.  Paul is awesome
This was almost the exact same thing I told my wife and kids when we were watching this earlier. I don't consider myself a Beatles guy, but just about every song that came up I thought, "I  really like this one" and started singing along.  

That and the part where he told James that his grandfather was watching choked me up. 
It was so amazing how McCartney didn’t run shtick or try to be too cool for the room.  He was genuinely curious what the streets of Liverpool looked like (loved how he signed one of the Penny Lane signs), was super generous telling stories, jumped right in and started singing like a fan when the songs came on in the car... astounding how grounded he was for someone who has been told he’s a hero and idol for over half a century.

It was so amazing how McCartney didn’t run shtick or try to be too cool for the room.  He was genuinely curious what the streets of Liverpool looked like (loved how he signed one of the Penny Lane signs), was super generous telling stories, jumped right in and started singing like a fan when the songs came on in the car... astounding how grounded he was for someone who has been told he’s a hero and idol for over half a century.
Genuine ...generous ...grounded.  Excellent descriptions of an incredible man. 

Lot of great scenes in the bar at the end.  In the original bar crowd, the older woman clearly reliving her early love for his music; the guy with "Beatles" tattooed on his arm; the young gal getting emotional during the crowd participation of Hey Jude.  Yes ...the power of music. 

Genuine ...generous ...grounded.  Excellent descriptions of an incredible man. 

Lot of great scenes in the bar at the end.  In the original bar crowd, the older woman clearly reliving her early love for his music; the guy with "Beatles" tattooed on his arm; the young gal getting emotional during the crowd participation of Hey Jude.  Yes ...the power of music. 
I have no idea how any of those people were holding it together. That is such a phenomenally rare experience to have. I would have lost my #### if I were there. 

This was almost the exact same thing I told my wife and kids when we were watching this earlier. I don't consider myself a Beatles guy, but just about every song that came up I thought, "I  really like this one" and started singing along.  
And here's the thing...those aren't really the best of the Beatles songs.  I guess most lists would have Hey Jude way up there (though it's not a favorite of mine), but I bet if you could watch a John Lennon version of the same thing, you'd say that to yourself even more.

(By the way, I love Paul much more as a human than I do/did John, so it's not a knock against him - just think Lennon's songs are overall better.)

I have no idea how any of those people were holding it together. That is such a phenomenally rare experience to have. I would have lost my #### if I were there. 
Right?  I cried through at least half of it just watching the damn video, so I can't even imagine being there.

And here's the thing...those aren't really the best of the Beatles songs.  I guess most lists would have Hey Jude way up there (though it's not a favorite of mine), but I bet if you could watch a John Lennon version of the same thing, you'd say that to yourself even more.

(By the way, I love Paul much more as a human than I do/did John, so it's not a knock against him - just think Lennon's songs are overall better.)

Right?  I cried through at least half of it just watching the damn video, so I can't even imagine being there.
Yea, I shouldn't have been cutting onions at the time.

:oldunsure:  

A few of the women were losing it.  Just so amazing.  I've seen him on the floor three times in the last 15 years. Always incredible.

That and the part where he told James that his grandfather was watching choked me up. 
I’ve seen maybe one-third of the Carpool Karaokes.  The two episodes I’ve seen Corden tear up were McCartney telling Corden “he is”, and when Corden called his wife from inside the car because Stevie Wonder thought it would be fun to sing to her.

I’ve seen maybe one-third of the Carpool Karaokes.  The two episodes I’ve seen Corden tear up were McCartney telling Corden “he is”, and when Corden called his wife from inside the car because Stevie Wonder thought it would be fun to sing to her.
The Stevie Wonder episode was hilarious. Stevie in the driver's seat, Stevie doing a British accent (he was pretty good!), Corden asking Stevie if he Facetimed and Stevie holding the phone backwards, Stevie telling Corden all Brits look alike.

The Paul episode was epic. I'm like @Capella - if I had been sitting in that pub and those curtains all of a sudden opened to Paul mfing McCartney, I'd have lost it. I'd have been like those girls at the Beatles concerts. 

Yeah, can't imagine being in that Pub.  If I was in a bar at the shore and all the sudden Billy Joel started playing the piano I'd aprobably act like a 13 year old girl.

Thank you for sharing.  That was awesome.

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine about if you were in a pub like these people and a musician randomly came out to perform, who would you choose it to be ?  With the caveats that it had to be someone alive today and their current age (ie not necessarily at their peak).

Paul might well be the correct answer because everyone knows beatle songs which IMO heightens the experience.  I also think whoever it is would need to be upbeat and pretty widely known.  For example, someone like peak Alice In Chains, while a great show, isn’t right for this circumstance.

its a shame Prince died because he would be my 1A to Paul’s 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing.  That was awesome.

Had a discussion with a buddy of mine about if you were in a pub like these people and a musician randomly came out to perform, who would you choose it to be ?  With the caveats that it had to be someone alive today and their current age (ie not necessarily at their peak).

Paul might well be the correct answer because everyone knows beatle songs which IMO heightens the experience.  I also think whoever it is would need to be upbeat and pretty widely known.  For example, someone like peak Alice In Chains, while a great show, isn’t right for this circumstance.

its a shame Prince died because he would be my 1A to Paul’s 1.
One of Elton John, Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen would be the most widely appealing and IMO would be amazing for something like that even though not a huge fan of any of them.

One of Elton John, Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen would be the most widely appealing and IMO would be amazing for something like that even though not a huge fan of any of them.
All great choices, even though I’m with you that I’m not a huge fan of any of them.

My quick litmus test was were they well known enough to play a Super Bowl HT show.  So in addition to yours I thought Timberlake and Bruno Mars would be a lot of fun.  Maybe Foo Fighters or Coldplay.  Even some throwbacks like Def Leppard or Depeche Mode I bet would be pretty fun.

But Paul imo is #1 for the pure “iconicness” of it all

Yeah, can't imagine being in that Pub.  If I was in a bar at the shore and all the sudden Billy Joel started playing the piano I'd aprobably act like a 13 year old girl.
Awesome.

Neil Young played an unannounced surprise set downtown in a bar in the town where I work a few years ago. Would've killed to have had the opportunity of being lucky enough to see it that night.

maybe journey/Steve Perry, bon jovi (mass appeal), george michael (rip), pearl jam/eddie vedder

krista4 said:

Randy Bachman (The Guess Who, BTO) recently released a "reimagining" of the songs of George Harrison called "By George, By Bachman". I heard an interview with him and he said as a young musician in the 60s, he fell in love with McCartney's songs because they were so accessible. As he matured as a musician, he learned to appreciate John Lennon's songs more. Finally, he discovered the beauty and intricacy of Harrison's songs and fell in love with them. His feeling was his experience with Beatles' songs was indicative of most musicians. 

Thanks for posting this.

Coincidentally, I went down the Youtube Rabbit Hole last night watching songs by the solo Beatles after the break up and had the thought that you could collect those, completely toss out the actual Beatles stuff and still have more great songs than all but the biggest bands in history.  I probably missed a few, but there are at least 25 songs that have held up well for 40+ years.  Freaking RINGO had two #1 hits.

George Harrison is like having Antonio Brown as your slot because Rice and Randy are already on the outside.

What is Life

My Sweet Lord

Give Me Love

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was in college I had an experience in a bar sort of like those incredibly lucky Liverpoolers. Huey Lewis... and some of the News. They were unknown outside of the Bay Area at the time so it was cool seeing all the success a couple years later, but really, that's not even sort of like Paul.

jhib said:
Everyone is a "Beatles guy", whether they want to admit it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread