What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone believe in Chad Williams breaking out this year? (1 Viewer)

He's a deep sleeper that is for sure. But right now, I think he's going to be the 5th WR, on a mediocre(at best) passing team with a RB that sees 60+ catches. 

I'd like him(and the entire offense) more if Arians was still there. I think people are going to really see how important he was. Williams felt like an Arians guy, with Arians gone, the new staff drafted Kirk and signed Butler and I think both those guys end up ahead of Williams. Plus, JJ Nelson has sub 4.3 speed, which brings an element nobody else does, so he'll likely still be ahead of Williams as well, even if he's mostly just used to clear out space for Fitz and Johnson.

Nope not at all. New Offense, New QB, A rookie QB, New Staff investment in 2nd rounder & Butler

It'll be a victory for him IMO to just get regular season snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he's as good a young WR stash as any. He likely won't be more than WR3 this year, but if he shows the goods he could step into Fitz role next year with a potential young stud QB throwing to him. If you have the space why not wait and see? I'm putting in a claim on our first waivers run. 

I'll buy into this. too many kirk owners want to ignore this guy and it's a mistake. I dont see him breaking out but he may be more relevant than Kirk in 18

Thanks for the replies. I have read some articles saying Williams + Fitzgerald starting, Kirk WR3. Given new coaching staff, always interested to see if they believe in a player from previous regime. 

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Nope not at all. New Offense, New QB, A rookie QB, New Staff investment in 2nd rounder & Butler

I think these are fair reasons to not expect too much from Williams in the same way as if the coaching staff and QB had remained intact.

Williams was a 3rd round pick though, so he has as good a shot as anyone else to earn playing time I would think.

Unfortunately I dont know much about Chad Williams. One of the players I just didn't get around to watching much.

Craig_MiamiFL said:

so am investment in a 3rd rounder is nothing? if anything, arizona has a 3rd rounder and an entire year of development into Williams

There are many instances of a team drafting wr back to back years and the earlier of the two has a better career. Funny how draft pick investment didn't put Treadwell on the field ahead of Diggs... 

I think these are fair reasons to not expect too much from Williams in the same way as if the coaching staff and QB had remained intact.

Williams was a 3rd round pick though, so he has as good a shot as anyone else to earn playing time I would think.

Unfortunately I dont know much about Chad Williams. One of the players I just didn't get around to watching much.
He didn't show anything at camp last year. I'll be there again this year and see if anything's changed. Then did nothing with a wide open #2 spot last season. New staff that has nothing invested in him, New QB(s) to deal with. He's now got to learn new terminology (again) .  It'd be a lot to even expect someone that's shown something in the NFL to "break out". We're talking a raw small school kid that's shown nothing to date.

A victory for him will be making any sort of meaningful contribution in 2018 in a pass game dealing with a personnel and terminology. Really reaching bottom of the barrel expecting a fantasy relevant "breakout" season from Chad Williams in 2018.

If you expect some sort of prolific pass game with Bradford/Rosen combo in 2018, perhaps your expectations are higher. I feel I'm being more realistic talking 2 QBs going into new offense with guys they've never played with before. I expect lots of DJ and Fitz per usual in the short game. And a group of 5-6 splitting what's left.

I appreciate the background as far as Williams in camp last year. He isn't a player I have been following at all.

I totally agree it is mostly going to be FItzgerald and Johnson in the majority of the passing game. I think there is some opportunity there for other WR to do some things, but unless they really click with Bradford/Rosen or one of those two is injured, I am not really seeing a ton of yards for the other WR and Kirk would be the next guy I would look at.

Just interesting to me to learn about a player I don't know much about, and wonder if the guy might be worth more later on, if he can make some plays this year.

I am hoping Fitzgerald plays as long as Jerry Rice, and who knows? Maybe he could. If not then a lot of targets for a second WR from the Cardinals does open up. Maybe thats Williams?

Who else on the Cardinals do people think are ahead of him?

Brice Butler

JJ Nelson

Christian Kirk

Greg Little

I just read that one issue with Williams as a rookie was his route running and also he was out of shape

I appreciate the background as far as Williams in camp last year. He isn't a player I have been following at all.

I totally agree it is mostly going to be FItzgerald and Johnson in the majority of the passing game. I think there is some opportunity there for other WR to do some things, but unless they really click with Bradford/Rosen or one of those two is injured, I am not really seeing a ton of yards for the other WR and Kirk would be the next guy I would look at.

Just interesting to me to learn about a player I don't know much about, and wonder if the guy might be worth more later on, if he can make some plays this year.

I am hoping Fitzgerald plays as long as Jerry Rice, and who knows? Maybe he could. If not then a lot of targets for a second WR from the Cardinals does open up. Maybe thats Williams?

Who else on the Cardinals do people think are ahead of him?

Brice Butler

JJ Nelson

Christian Kirk

Greg Little

I just read that one issue with Williams as a rookie was his route running and also he was out of shape
Nelson and Butler are better bets in my opinion. At least for 2018. They both have sub 4.4 speed, which meshes well with the possession ability of Fitz, and the RAC ability of Johnson and Kirk.

I don't know if Williams is going to break out, but he's a legit sleeper.

At least a couple fellow players have commented on Williams' ability & that's always a good sign. Fitz said Williams reminded him of Anquan Boldin (how strong his hands were). He's also an impressive athlete with good size.

Most importantly, Williams has the cost-to-upside ratio that makes a really good stash.

Redraft, he has no value.

Dynasty, he does have some upside.

Bradford and Rosen are both great pure passers of the ball and I like the potential of the Arizona passing game.

Kirk is a slot guy and there is an opportunity to start opposite Fitz and maybe even replace him when he retires. JJ Nelson will be gone next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rosen is throwing to him as a starting WR next year and then his value could rise significantly. Good dynasty stash.

Redraft, he has no value.

Dynasty, he does have some upside.

Bradford and Rosen are both great pure passers of the ball and I like the potential of the Arizona passing game.

Kirk is a slot guy and there is an opportunity to start opposite Fitz and maybe even replace him when he retires. JJ Nelson will be gone next year.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rosen is throwing to him as a starting WR next year and then his value could rise significantly. Good dynasty stash.
Agreed. Pure stash. In dynasty, you basically have a 70% chance of getting a starting 2019 WR with modest draft pedigree for free. Any 2018 production is gravy.

I think breakout is either an overused or misunderstood term. I think that breaking out could be modest, inconsitent production with flashes. I definitely felt Chad Williams was a high upside WR from last years draft and I think he could definitely break out or find himself in the spotlight this season. How much production? I don’t know. With the recent news of his ascension I would have to adjust where the targets are going. I know there was healthy opportunity for the WR behind Fitz as TE is a big ?. As long as Bradford stays upright (a long shot for sure) there is competence behind center and no rookie growth to deal with. 

During the 2016 season Sam Bradford supported WR 21, 26, 53 and TE 3... let’s save the generalization for “I don’t understand why we’re searching for breakout WR’s in X” to Buffalo. 

Has anyone else been kind of impressed with him during preseason action? Butler injured his foot and we know what Nelson is. Kirk has run almost exclusively out of the slot so far this preseason so whenever Fitz was in with the first team, Kirk was on the bench. But Chad Williams did run with the ones vs. NO (along with Greg Little). There might not be much behind Fitz, DJ and maybe RSJ but I'm keeping an eye on Williams regardless. 

Has anyone else been kind of impressed with him during preseason action? Butler injured his foot and we know what Nelson is. Kirk has run almost exclusively out of the slot so far this preseason so whenever Fitz was in with the first team, Kirk was on the bench. But Chad Williams did run with the ones vs. NO (along with Greg Little). There might not be much behind Fitz, DJ and maybe RSJ but I'm keeping an eye on Williams regardless. 
Has Williams been lining up on the other side of the field from Fitz? Thought his spot was in relief of Fitz on the left side so interested in where he was taking snaps in practice and in preseason.

Who is DJ? Did you mean JJ Nelson? While not an elite talent, he came out of the gate strong in the first two games last year before tailing off with the rest of the Cards not named Larry. Brice Butler will also have a role in this offense -- while contracts don't prove anything, the Cards did sign him to a 2-year deal, so it seems that's yet another guy Williams would need to hurdle.

Hard for me on the face of it to see a path to productivity here, but willing to know more about this particular bandwagon.

Has Williams been lining up on the other side of the field from Fitz? Thought his spot was in relief of Fitz on the left side so interested in where he was taking snaps in practice and in preseason.

Who is DJ? Did you mean JJ Nelson? While not an elite talent, he came out of the gate strong in the first two games last year before tailing off with the rest of the Cards not named Larry. Brice Butler will also have a role in this offense -- while contracts don't prove anything, the Cards did sign him to a 2-year deal, so it seems that's yet another guy Williams would need to hurdle.

Hard for me on the face of it to see a path to productivity here, but willing to know more about this particular bandwagon.
They moved Williams around a lot. It's hard for me to be certain because I can't watch any coaches film but if I had to guess he spent most of his time at flanker.

When I say DJ I mean David Johnson because I expect him to be second in the receiving pecking order. McCoy has never heavily targeted a single RB but he's never had a RB with DJ's skill set. After DJ I'm half expecting Ricky Seals Jones to be third in the pecking order but that might be wishful thinking. I realize the pie likely won't be big enough and there's a bunch of guys vying for targets but I just thought Williams looked good - he did a good job of picking up yards after contact. For what it's worth Kirk also looked good. 

Also, really great profile both athletically and from a collegiate standpoint SSND: https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/chad-williams/

I’m rooting for the kid. I don’t think Kirk is built for the outside so he only has to beat out JJ and Brice Butler. Both who are athletic freaks in their own right. I also like Trent Sherfield and will be watching him long term.

Brice Butler cut... rev the engine.
Feel like Chad is mold of true sleeper. No one talking about him. Small school second year with no show rookie campaign. Decent draft pedigree. Quietly had solid camp and preseason. And now pretty much has locked down starting outside WR spot on a team that will likely have a WR1 void in 2019. Criminally undervalued in dynasty. 

Per Rotoworld: Chad Williams is listed as the Cardinals' No. 2 receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald.

Williams gets the nod ahead of second-rounder Christian Kirk and J.J. Nelson. Williams was someone Bruce Arians' staff wanted to take on a bigger role down the stretch last season, but it never happened. Williams caught three balls for 44 yards this preseason. Williams entered the NFL as a high-end athlete who stuffed the stat sheet in college, but he was making the transition from small-school Grambling State. He should be more ready for the league in year two.

Users who are viewing this thread