What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (2 Viewers)

The soundtrack holds up a lot better than the movie in this case.

You Should Be Dancin' and Disco Inferno are 1b and 1a from this album, both still in my regular listening rotation.

Elvis Costello & The Attractions- This Year’s Model (1978)

No Action

This Year’s Girl

The Beat

Pump It Up

Little Triggers

You Belong To Me

Hand In Hand

(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea

Lip Service

Living In Paradise

Lipstick Vogue

Night Rally

Radio, Radio

This second album by Elvis Costello ranks as one of my favorite rock albums of all time (I also love Trust). It’s full of power pop goodness. Nearly every song here is on one of my daily playlists. Nearly every song here is wonderful. Did I mention how much I love this album? So so good. 

Elvis Costello & The Attractions- This Year’s Model (1978)

No Action

This Year’s Girl

The Beat

Pump It Up

Little Triggers

You Belong To Me

Hand In Hand

(I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea

Lip Service

Living In Paradise

Lipstick Vogue

Night Rally

Radio, Radio

This second album by Elvis Costello ranks as one of my favorite rock albums of all time (I also love Trust). It’s full of power pop goodness. Nearly every song here is on one of my daily playlists. Nearly every song here is wonderful. Did I mention how much I love this album? So so good. 
It's fantastic.  Brilliant tunes and biting, clever lyrics.  I slightly prefer My Aim is True, but the four-album run of My Aim, This Year's Model, Armed Forces and Get Happy is topped only by the Stones four album run from Beggars to Exile in terms of sustained greatness.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wanna kiss you 
I don't wanna touch 
I don't wanna see you 
'Cause I don't miss you that much

Awesome album.  

My best friend and, not surprisingly then, best music pal loves to remind me how much i hated the greatest solo rock songwriter of all time when he came out. Punky Holly, i used to call him. Even though i'd been seeking more substantial Emerald Isle rock (never much of a fan of Van's blues refritos), his snide & whiny act rubbed me the wrong way until his remarkable talent for bridges sent me deeper into his stuff and suggested that the music couldnt be that much better than the person and i warmed up to him. McManus, Gabriel & Prince have been my Holy Trinity ever since.

I just wanted to add that Pete Thomas is rarely mentioned among the great rock drummers but he is essential to this record. “Lipstick Vogue” in particular is some of the best drums I’ve ever heard.

I just wanted to add that Pete Thomas is rarely mentioned among the great rock drummers but he is essential to this record. “Lipstick Vogue” in particular is some of the best drums I’ve ever heard.
Bruce Thomas' bass rips on that song as well.

Bruce Thomas wrote a novel called "The Big Wheel" about a bass player in a band that's superficially similar to the Attractions.  I read it years ago but it didn't leave much of an impression other than he really doesn't care for the character named "the singer".  As an author, Thomas is an excellent bass player.

Bruce Thomas' bass rips on that song as well.

Bruce Thomas wrote a novel called "The Big Wheel" about a bass player in a band that's superficially similar to the Attractions.  I read it years ago but it didn't leave much of an impression other than he really doesn't care for the character named "the singer".  As an author, Thomas is an excellent bass player.
This was comedic understatement. Good work.  

I saw Elvis tour behind this LP in April 1978.  Nick Lowe w/ Rockpile and Mink DeVille opened for him.  As I recall, it was like six bucks for a ticket.

I wish I could say it was a great show but the aggression and density that makes "This Year's Model" a classic didn't come across in his performance.  He was on and off stage quickly and never made any attempt to connect with the audience.  I was disappointed at the time but the videos shot during that tour look a lot better in retrospect.

Costello's first five records are as good a basketball starting lineup as anybody's.   Everything from "My Aim is True" to "Trust" is outstanding.  They were all produced by Nick Lowe whose bash it out style was well suited to a young Costello.  It was a tremendously fertile period for Costello--the B-sides collection "Taking Liberties" has some great songs that didn't fit on the records.

"This Year's Model" is my favorite but some days I would go for the maximum minimalism of "Get Happy!"

Sorry I haven't kept up on the thread but when I saw the Sex Pistols come up, I had to comment.

Never Mind the bollocks was my first punk album and it is an absolutely essential punk record.  I was a small town kid that only knew who they were because I was an avid Rolling Stone reader.  Bought a used cassette for $3 and gave it a listen in the summer of 1992 and have been a punk fan ever since.  The band couldn't play and ironically they began as just a marketing scheme.  But IMO I've never heard an album that so epitomized the anger of a poor young white man who watches his world turn to #### while people he doesn't know and events beyond his control begin to limit his choices before he has a chance to even make them.  It was a guttural primal scream of rage and hormones.  I get it if you don't like it or think it's overrated.  But this record literally changed my life.

I haven't listened to it in totality in years but a number of the tracks are still scattered across playlists and get listened to.  And Holidays In the Sun still makes me wanna bust into a spontaneous slam dance no matter when or where I hear it.

See her picture in a thousand places 'cause she's this year's girl
You think you all own little pieces of this year's girl
Forget your fancy manners
Forget your English grammar
'Cause you don't really give a damn about this year's girl

Still you're hoping that she's well-spoken 'cause she's this year's girl
You want her broken with her mouth wide open 'cause she's this year's girl

Brilliant. This is my favorite song by Elvis and favorite album by him

Costello's first five records are as good a basketball starting lineup as anybody's.   Everything from "My Aim is True" to "Trust" is outstanding.  They were all produced by Nick Lowe whose bash it out style was well suited to a young Costello. 
Lowe is very underrated as a producer, musician and singer.

Recently got into his early band Brinsley Schwarz - 1975 performance of the original version of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" that Lowe obviously later had Elvis record.

See her picture in a thousand places 'cause she's this year's girl
You think you all own little pieces of this year's girl
Forget your fancy manners
Forget your English grammar
'Cause you don't really give a damn about this year's girl

Still you're hoping that she's well-spoken 'cause she's this year's girl
You want her broken with her mouth wide open 'cause she's this year's girl

Brilliant. This is my favorite song by Elvis and favorite album by him
I can't tell you how many times over the years I've used the term "this year's girl" in reference to some pretty young celebrity of the moment.  Probably more often than there have been years between 1978 and 2018.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've used the term "this year's girl" in reference to some pretty young celebrity of the moment.  Probably more often than there have been years between 1978 and 2018.
Lots of this year's girls have traversed our consciousness the past forty years.  

Can't disagree with This Year's Model as the choice for Costello, but my favorite was always Imperial Bedroom. His tour last year (with the Imposters) featured songs from IB - wonderful evening for me. I've seen him a half dozen times over 20+ years, still a great show. 

Lowe is very underrated as a producer, musician and singer.

Recently got into his early band Brinsley Schwarz - 1975 performance of the original version of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" that Lowe obviously later had Elvis record.
Did he have any babies w Carlene Carter (who i met once & is the closest i've come to just throwin down & going to prison)? They'd be of music-making age by now....

Did he have any babies w Carlene Carter (who i met once & is the closest i've come to just throwin down & going to prison)? They'd be of music-making age by now....
No offspring from the Carlene-Lowe union except for "Musical Shapes"

I don't think any of the Cash or Carter grandchildren have gone into the business.  The family tree is complicated so I could be wrong.

My best friend and, not surprisingly then, best music pal loves to remind me how much i hated the greatest solo rock songwriter of all time when he came out. Punky Holly, i used to call him. Even though i'd been seeking more substantial Emerald Isle rock (never much of a fan of Van's blues refritos), his snide & whiny act rubbed me the wrong way until his remarkable talent for bridges sent me deeper into his stuff and suggested that the music couldnt be that much better than the person and i warmed up to him. McManus, Gabriel & Prince have been my Holy Trinity ever since.
Your aim is still true, even if it sometimes gets clouded by red and purple rain.

One of the first concerts I went to, as a +1 to my best friend's cool older sister, was Elvis Costello at the Orpheum in Boston.  He had a bar on stage, brought people up, and they spun a big wheel with songs on it, and the band played them.  I remember thinking, oh that's cool.  

I wasn't aware I was witnessing a legendary Costello tour (Costello Sings Again) wish I had enjoyed it more.  

I met him, 25 years later, and scored weed for him from my barback at a bar about 4 miles from the Orpheum.   :thumbup:

CHeck out his legendary Radio, Radio on Saturday Night Live.  I always felt he knew what he was doing, and was grandstanding a bit, but it's still a great moment in SNL music history.  

Just think what it would be like to have Johnny Cash as your father in law.
Rodney Crowell is still trading on that........ though, in all honesty, he's a damned fine composer and singer. Plus, he and Rosanne remained friends. I think Johnny wished he'd have been able to do that with his first wife.

As for Costello, I think he was as fine a songwriter as there was when he came on the scene. I'm going to push back a little on the Nick Lowe love, though. His sloppy-assed producing style worked well on the pub-rock bands he worked with. I think Costello's songs would have worked better with someone more polished. He's ,kind of the opposite of Springsteen, whose lyrics eventually caught up to his music. 

As for Costello, I think he was as fine a songwriter as there was when he came on the scene. I'm going to push back a little on the Nick Lowe love, though. His sloppy-assed producing style worked well on the pub-rock bands he worked with. I think Costello's songs would have worked better with someone more polished. He's ,kind of the opposite of Springsteen, whose lyrics eventually caught up to his music. 
Lowe was perfect for Costello circa '77-81 .  He was such a prolific songwriter at the time and just needed someone who could run the tape and get the band's sound onto the record.  The raw material was great but those records are neither too lo-fi or overproduced like many other albums of the era.

Artistic evolution is inevitable but I think Costello ran into problems when he moved to other producers who sweetened his sound.  Imperial Bedroom has many admirers and Geoff Emerick's Beatlesesque production suits it well.  But Punch the Clock and especially Goodbye Cruel World were slick even when the songs cut as hard as his earlier stuff.  Costello has accepted the blame for pushing Langer & Winstanley in this direction and was evidently going through some personal issues at the time.  The fact remains that the Attractions didn't regain their footing again until Lowe was behind the board for Blood & Chocolate.

Just think what it would be like to have Johnny Cash as your father in law.
I was surprised, having met her in the 90s & being sure i was seeing Johnny Cash and Miss June in those amazing peepers, to find out later she wasnt Cash's nachul daughter. Her daddy was Carl Smith, an entirely diif'nt dark & stary country sanger

One thing that distinguishes This Year's Model from it's predecessor My Aim is True is the lack of guitars.  The records with the Attractions feature Nieve's keyboards and occasionally Bruce Thomas' bass as lead instruments.  Costello's guitar is low in the mix, usually in the left channel.  There are a few times where the guitar is pushed forward but only to introduce a riff that the rest of the band picks up.  It's unusual in rock 'n roll for guitars to be so unprominent (if that's a word).

If anything, This Year's Model has more guitar than the albums that followed.  Get Happy!! is totally Steve Nieve's record.

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here (1975)

Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. 1-5

Welcome to the Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You Were Here

Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pts. 6-9

A lot of folks like this better than DSOTM, including me. An homage to Syd Barrett, the “crazy diamond” who left the band 7 years earlier. Good stuff. 

Welcome to the Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You Were Here

A lot of folks like this better than DSOTM, including me. An homage to Syd Barrett, the “crazy diamond” who left the band 7 years earlier. Good stuff. 
I'm not the biggest Floyd fan, but this is my favorite album by them.

I know I've probably said this a hundred times here, but I would love to have heard Otis Redding get a crack at the title track. That song is the only time they ever convinced me that they meant something tender.

Welcome to the Machine

Have A Cigar

Wish You Were Here

A masterpiece 

One of the best albums ever, and there are days where I do think it is better than Dark Side.

Also, it is worth noting that not every song on the album is about Syd Barrett, just the title track and Shine On You Crazy Diamond.   Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar are about dealing with their sudden popularity following the success of their prior album, generally speaking. 

Uruk-Hai said:
 I would love to have heard Otis Redding get a crack at the title track. That song is the only time they ever convinced me that they meant something tender.
THIS is one of the best musical ideas i ever heard. Thankyouthankyouthankyou for putting it in my head, for it will have a long & strong life in my imagination.

Somebody should totally do it NOW. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" too, while we're at it. Imagine that? Get a chorus, Slash & Kamasi Washington for solos, a rap break, then just have the chorus sing "Shine on.......shine on.....shine on.....shine on.....shine on.....shine on....." during the upbeat part at the end and have a soul screamer riff the #### out of it like Otis or Wikkit Pikkit. Who would you get? Mary J or Joss Stone could totally do it (i adapted a Floyd song, Learning To Fly, for solo piano/female singer for the Santa Fe cabaret act of that gal i used to sing in hot tubs with and it was great) but i can't think of a guy for it. Cee-lo?

Users who are viewing this thread