What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (7 Viewers)

70 percent tax rates are punitive and are incompatible with capitalism.   Anything over 50 percent should be illegal.  
That's obviously not true. We had 90% marginal rates during the 50s and 60s (the era I've always assumed Trumpers want to return to when they say "make America Great again") and 70% as recently as 1986. I assumed you knew that, but maybe not?

I've noticed you refuse to call it a "marginal rate," by the way, changing it to "tax rate" even though that's misleading. Why is that?

You defend AOC on her stance about it.
I haven't seen where she said she wants to eliminate air travel.  All I have seen is her saying that we need to reduce our reliance on it.  If you can point me to the former then I'm all ears.

From what I've heard I tend to agree with her.  

If that was true then you wouldn't have to lie and say she wanted to eliminate air travel. So why did you lie, then?
I didn't lie.

She called for building out high-speed rail "at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary." Go ahead and parse her words. Why would anyone support high speed rail so air travel isn't needed. Do you realize how ridiculous her stance is?

I haven't seen where she said she wants to eliminate air travel.  All I have seen is her saying that we need to reduce our reliance on it.  If you can point me to the former then I'm all ears.

From what I've heard I tend to agree with her.  
So how do you propose we reduce air travel? How did that high speed rail thing work in California?

That's obviously not true. We had 90% marginal rates during the 50s and 60s (the era I've always assumed Trumpers want to return to when they say "make America Great again") and 70% as recently as 1986. I assumed you knew that, but maybe not?

I've noticed you refuse to call it a "marginal rate," by the way, changing it to "tax rate" even though that's misleading. Why is that?
I said they should be illegal.   I was well aware of the tax rates before JFK and Reagan cut rates.   In both cases the cuts greatly helped revitalizing our economy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do you propose we reduce air travel? How did that high speed rail thing work in California?
I think a true high speed rail system on a national level could be worth investing in, but haven't seen any proposals or analysis yet.  The one proposed here in CA was not even what we think of when we think high speed rail, and it was a disaster from the start.  FTR, I voted against it even though I think high speed rail connecting SF and SJ to LA would be a huge benefit to the state if done properly.

I think a true high speed rail system on a national level could be worth investing in, but haven't seen any proposals or analysis yet.  The one proposed here in CA was not even what we think of when we think high speed rail, and it was a disaster from the start.  FTR, I voted against it even though I think high speed rail connecting SF and SJ to LA would be a huge benefit to the state if done properly.
And if we come up with some plan for high speed rail instead of air transportation.....what about all the other countries that will continue to use air transportation? Deal with it, her idea is not realistic.

The US is increasingly becoming an insignificant contributer to global green house emissions.   China and the rest of the developing world is where the improvement needs to come from. 

And if we come up with some plan for high speed rail instead of air transportation.....what about all the other countries that will continue to use air transportation? Deal with it, her idea is not realistic.
If we somehow come up with a rail system that is faster, safer and cheaper than air for domestic transportation, I'd imagine all the other countries that are capable of replicating it will do so.

What if we as a country, follow along with me for a minute, could have *both*?  Radical as it is, we maybe we could have a HSR for some things AND air travel for others?  Probably just a pipe dream - IDK how Japan ever accomplished it.

She wants high speed rail instead of air travel.
You mean like most of the modern world relies on high speed trains? Replacing aircraft miles with train has long been a goal of environmentalists.  It doesn't mean no planes it means less air travel where possible in favor of electric trains. So when you misrepresent that you just look foolish.

You mean like most of the modern world relies on high speed trains? Replacing aircraft miles with train has long been a goal of environmentalists.  It doesn't mean no planes it means less air travel where possible in favor of electric trains. So when you misrepresent that you just look foolish.
She said she wants high speed rail to not make air travel necessary. She is the foolish one.

emphasis mine

I'm suggesting in this scenario that you developed, other advanced countries will be chomping at the bit to replicate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did she say reduce air travel?
You literally just posted it above this post.  Stopping something from being necessary doesn't mean it's eliminated entirely.  If I want to go into SF I usually take BART because it's convenient and usually faster than dealing with traffic.  That doesn't mean I never drive into SF even though it's not necessary to do so.

You literally just posted it above this post.  Stopping something from being necessary doesn't mean it's eliminated entirely.  If I want to go into SF I usually take BART because it's convenient and usually faster than dealing with traffic.  That doesn't mean I never drive into SF even though it's not necessary to do so.
LMAO....No I didn't and you are talking about local transportation and also a car. Wow.....I don't know what else to say.

LMAO....No I didn't and you are talking about local transportation and also a car. Wow.....I don't know what else to say.
"build[ing] out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary."

You take this to mean eliminating air travel entirely?  Not seeing why my example was flawed.

Are you serious? Your example was BART and a car in San Francisco. LMAO

read this

https://reason.com/blog/2019/02/07/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-green-new-deal#comment
From that article:

The resolution's aims include "overhauling transportation systems in the United States to eliminate pollution and 19 greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector as much as is technologically feasible." According to an overview of the resolution, this will be accomplished, in part, by "build[ing] out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary."

You guys are the same kind if people who said,  cars would never replace horses, we'd never fly, never go to the moon, etc. Every advance ever made has had a bunch of dinosaurs standing on the sidelines screaming it can't be done, right up until it was.

What she said is nuts. Deal with it. How's that high speed rail working out so far? It's not a Fox News thing....it's common sense.
No...the false narrative that she wants to get rid of all air travel is a thing.  You prove it by repeating what is basically a lie over and over and now when confronted with that...this is your reply.

That isn’t common sense.

Also high speed rail works out quite well for a number of countries.

I find the tax rate discussion instructive in that it indicates to me that the majority are not interested so much in justice but in using their power to take what others have.  They think that if they impose the oppressive tax rate to a small enough cohort there will be few defenders of that cohort. This is a power move and a power argument until that gets pointed out.  Once it does they try some justification beyond the wealthy can afford it, but those justifications fall flat, even for them, if they be truthful.  They try to say that the wealthy enjoy the fruits of liberty or the benefits of society more, and should pay more, but by such increments?  No, it is about jealousy and wanting the benefits of what others have under the guise of law.  they want indolence funded by the work of others.

I am not unsympathetic.  I will never earn at those rates so why do I care, and there is some minor truth that the wealthy may benefit somewhat more from public services, roads, schools, infrastructure, and defense.  I mean after all nobody is invading this country to take the shopping cart away from the bag lady, now are they.  She has little to lose, or everything from another perspective. The defense budget may, from a financial perspective benefit the wealthy more.  But there are other perspectives.

What I know is this, I hear it in the voices of those who advocate such tax rates, they want what others have and they are pleased if it is perceived as punitive, though they mostly lack the honesty to admit that. 

All that said, were I the ultra wealthy I would be mindful that I still live among others, that those others can become insulted and angry at gross disparity, particularly when suffering of loved ones is involved, and if the disparity becomes to apparent, right or wrong, it is a law of history that they will be dragged from their castle sand hung in the town square.

Wealthy, give a little.  others, settle for something less than punitive graciously.  There is a middle ground.  we can all advance forward together. There is bounty enough for all unless we become greedy and invest in destruction and war rather than production and education.

You guys are the same kind if people who said,  cars would never replace horses, we'd never fly, never go to the moon, etc. Every advance ever made has had a bunch of dinosaurs standing on the sidelines screaming it can't be done, right up until it was.
Wait, what's this whole moon thing?  And screaming dinosaurs, I'm not buying.  That implies speech and I don't think so.  Roaring, maybe, but not screaming.  Just who do you think you are fooling Mister?

I didn't lie.

She called for building out high-speed rail "at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary." Go ahead and parse her words. Why would anyone support high speed rail so air travel isn't needed. Do you realize how ridiculous her stance is?
It's pretty reasonable, actually. Many cities in America are "close" together and enabling some airport hubs would ease air traffic. I'm in Milwaukee and there are many flights to Chicago each day. Eliminate 100% of those flights to Chicago with a high speed rail would ease air traffic, air congestion, and make air travel much more reliable. Take other cities that are ~120 miles from each other where, currently, air traffic is prevalent to and from those cities. Build high speed rail into those airports instead of airplanes flying into those airports, those would ease air traffic. High speed rail to connect cities instead of air traffic connecting cities makes so much sense. Look at a map of flights on the east coast and how dense the map is. It's crazy not to build high speed rail. And, this is just Delta.

No...the false narrative that she wants to get rid of all air travel is a thing.  You prove it by repeating what is basically a lie over and over and now when confronted with that...this is your reply.

That isn’t common sense.

Also high speed rail works out quite well for a number of countries.
Wrong, explain to md how high speed rail will work to make air travel unnecessary. How will someone get from Maine to Alaska? North Carolina to Hawaii? Some small town in New Mexico to another small town in Florida? How do you plan to pay for it? 

Users who are viewing this thread