What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (5 Viewers)

I live 10 minutes from where Amazon was planning on building. That area definitely could have used what Amazon would have brought to the neighborhood. Sad that it fell through.

This is a good point.  With some folks, the real issue is capitalism.  All the other stuff is just window dressing.  For example, imagine a counter-factual in which Amazon was building a HQ in NY with no tax incentives of any kind.  Does anybody think AOC would have welcomed them in that scenario?  I don't.  IMO, she and quite a few others were motivated more by the desire to stick it to Amazon than anything else.

Adonis started a thread a few weeks ago that I thought expressed a weird level of hatred toward Amazon and a few other firms merely for existing.  That mindset is definitely out there.
I disagree

Amazon pulled out and said no thanks, we will go where we are wanted.  That's not falling through.  It was deliberate.  No falling.  Jumping.
It is just semantics, but when someone plans on something and then pulls out, it is usually called falling through.  At one point, Amazon had every intention of going there.  

It is just semantics, but when someone plans on something and then pulls out, it is usually called falling through.  At one point, Amazon had every intention of going there.  
I guess.   I wouldn't call it that but yeah, it has been called that in the past

For some though, pulling out is the plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
71 percent of New York blacks and 80 percent of Latinos supported the Amazon deal.   Will be a huge blow to her future.   I can't imagine a larger failure for a Representative of a district.  

AOC is hitting 1.000 and has hit into many unforced errors from the other team. America is getting younger and her ideas will snowball in no time. Enjoy the ride, fellas.
She seems to be doing just fine in terms of public support.

What inevitably happens is that someone flying as high as she is will be brought down, public support will turn, and if she sticks around long enough she may have a "comeback".  Seems to be an inevitable pattern of celebrity in our country.  Get popular, ride high, get too popular, folks start tearing you down, the attacks hit home, lose popularity, then if you're lucky you get a chance to redeem yourself in the public eye.

AOC is hitting 1.000 and has hit into many unforced errors from the other team. America is getting younger and her ideas will snowball in no time. Enjoy the ride, fellas.
Mayor Bill de Blasio (D-NY) ripped into Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) for her role in killing the deal to bring Amazon to Queens.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez making Sarah Palin look like a genius.  

I see you do not care for facts.   Typical
That’s interesting.

The poll might be a fact (well it’s an opinion actually from those people supporting a deal...but a fact that the numbers were that i guess...I say I guess because no link was provided).

It was opinion that it would hurt her as much as you claim.

That’s interesting.

The poll might be a fact (well it’s an opinion actually from those people supporting a deal...but a fact that the numbers were that i guess...I say I guess because no link was provided).

It was opinion that it would hurt her as much as you claim.
Polls are facts and they represent the opinion of those people she represents.  Playing a role in driving Amazon away is a colossal political failure and in my opinion destroys any chance of her having a future including not even being able to re-elected in her district.  

Polls are facts and they represent the opinion of those people she represents.  Playing a role in driving Amazon away is a colossal political failure and in my opinion destroys any chance of her having a future including not even being able to re-elected in her district.  
The percents are facts but the thoughts are opinion...was really just playing on that a bit.

I think it’s incredytoo early to make such a claim .  But ok.

I’d like to see a recent poll. I wonder if her constituents have changed their minds about Amazon.  I don’t know.

I’d like to see a recent poll. I wonder if her constituents have changed their minds about Amazon.  I don’t know.
I’d like to see the actual poll and that if her constituents...since no link was provided we don’t know the question, the methodology, the timing, or even who was polled.

I’d like to see the actual poll and that if her constituents...since no link was provided we don’t know the question, the methodology, the timing, or even who was polled.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/poll-majority-of-new-yorkers-supported-amazon-moving-to-nyc/

The Siena College poll, conducted from February 4-7, asked 778 New Yorkers: “Do you approve or disapprove of the recently announced deal between Amazon and New York, which grants up to $3 billion in state and city incentives to Amazon in return for Amazon locating its corporate offices in Queens, where it is projected to generate 25,000 jobs?”

A significant majority (56 percent) of all New Yorkers approved of the plan while 36 percent disapproved. Among New York City residents support was slightly stronger at 58 percent.

Support was most pronounced among minorities: 70 percent of black voters approved while just 25 percent disapproved, and 81 percent of Latinos approved compared to 17 percent who disapproved.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/poll-majority-of-new-yorkers-supported-amazon-moving-to-nyc/

The Siena College poll, conducted from February 4-7, asked 778 New Yorkers: “Do you approve or disapprove of the recently announced deal between Amazon and New York, which grants up to $3 billion in state and city incentives to Amazon in return for Amazon locating its corporate offices in Queens, where it is projected to generate 25,000 jobs?”

A significant majority (56 percent) of all New Yorkers approved of the plan while 36 percent disapproved. Among New York City residents support was slightly stronger at 58 percent.

Support was most pronounced among minorities: 70 percent of black voters approved while just 25 percent disapproved, and 81 percent of Latinos approved compared to 17 percent who disapproved.
Thanks for posting that.  I’ll bet a significant percentage of minorities have changed their minds. Particularly those that support AOC.

Mayor Bill de Blasio (D-NY) ripped into Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) for her role in killing the deal to bring Amazon to Queens.
I watched the de Blasio interview with Chuck Todd and it was hilarious.  You could tell de Blasio was about to explode when Chuck Todd brought up AOC thinking there was $3 billion just laying around waiting to be spent now. 😂

In defense of AOC, I am a Burkean who emphatically rejects the view that legislators should parrot the voices of their constituents.  If AOC thinks that Amazon should go, she should vote accordingly (not that it was up to her in this case) and let voters decide on election day how much they care about this.  

Thanks for posting that.  I’ll bet a significant percentage of minorities have changed their minds. Particularly those that support AOC.
Nope.  This is basic pocketbook politics.  AOC is getting ripped from all sides.  Hell, Cher ripped into her.  

How many were her supporters and on her district and where is that support now?

Id also state that it’s easy for anyone in a poll to spend money butbtonreallybaorove of it is a bit different.  I don’t see the results of what I read there to be as damning as you are saying.

Doubt that the Amazon deal has any long term effect on AOC.   Voters have short memories and she's in a heavily democratic district.    Unless someone primaries her, she's going to be in office as long as she wants to be.  She may be rubbing some people the wrong way, but the party knows she's popular and I doubt they push for or support a challenger. She's young and she definitely needs to learn how to do her research and stop making stupid assumptions, but she'll become more polished.

Doubt that the Amazon deal has any long term effect on AOC.   Voters have short memories 
I agree, but she has plenty of time to cement the effect on herself long term with more memorable events.

But she doesn't represent all New Yorkers. She represents her district. What are the numbers for her district?

Also - what @IvanKaramazov said.

I would bet that it really matters where in New York the people polled were. 

Amazon would have taken away all affordable housing in the area.
That's probably true, but the people that would have sold their houses at a pretty high profit are pretty upset.  There is essentially no affordable housing in or near Seattle at this point due to Amazon and the other tech companies.  

That's probably true, but the people that would have sold their houses at a pretty high profit are pretty upset.  There is essentially no affordable housing in or near Seattle at this point due to Amazon and the other tech companies.  
Where were they moving too once the sold?  Or are we just assuming they are finding new jobs too?  Pretty sure that was the most affordable place around there?

Where were they moving too once the sold?  Or are we just assuming they are finding new jobs too?  Pretty sure that was the most affordable place around there?
The homeowners would have been fine. They don’t have to sell if they don’t want to. Nobody was going to raise their mortgage payment. It’s the renters who would have had a problem.

So with increased property taxes and the limits they can write off with new tax laws, they are fine?  Okay, if you say so.
Sell their house and make a bunch of money.  I admit I may be missing something but I don't understand why anyone would be against a company bringing a ton of jobs anywhere.

There were already a bunch of home sales at premium prices based on the plan for Amazon to move in.   Apparently those that sold had somewhere to go.  Maybe they retired with the money.   The most aggressive real estate investors look like they got burned.

Sell their house and make a bunch of money.  I admit I may be missing something but I don't understand why anyone would be against a company bringing a ton of jobs anywhere.
I can't teach you about everything but I will give you one situation.  I just bought a house where Amazon is moving too.  They drive up the prices, what is the downfall if I have to move because of this?

Users who are viewing this thread