What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bloomberg 2020 (2 Viewers)

fantasycurse42 said:
Well Bloomberg was a mayor of a not so small place for a long time... Please provide instances when he was bought to back up your statement. 
Sorry, I dashed that post off quickly so my meaning got jumbled. I didn't mean to imply that it was "bunk" that he couldn't be bought. I meant it was bunk in the sense that his wealth is an unalloyed good. As billionaires go, Bloomberg is among the most benevolent, certainly among the subset that has entered politics. He has spent lots of money doing a lot of good in the world. And overall, I'm a fan of his. But his wealth raises two big concerns for me:

First, I just think it's generally a bad idea for anyone to amass too much power as a result of their net worth. I felt the same way when Dan Gilbert went around buying up lots of properties in Detroit (where I have a lot of family). He did a lot of good, but how scary is it to know that the fate of one of our great cities rests on the whims of a billionaire? What if, after doing all that, Gilbert had asked the city for some special tax break, or suggested to the DA that he go easy on him in a corruption investigation? (For the record, I'm speaking purely hypothetically. I have no evidence that Gilbert did any of those things.)

Second, in Bloomberg's case, while he hasn't done anything truly horrible, there have been a couple of flashes that offered a hint of how dangerous that power could be. This thread has a full rundown, but speaking from personal experience, the one that sticks out in my mind was his campaign to overturn term limits. Now, I'm not the biggest fan of term limits in principle, but the voters of NYC had supported them in two consecutive referenda. Bloomberg spread a ton of money around and convinced the city council to overturn the will of the voters. Then, once he had been re-elected to his third term, he closed the barn door behind him and re-instituted limits (via referendum!)

Could he have gotten it passed without all that money? Maybe, although it's worth pointing out that, even at the height of his popularity, Rudy never managed to get that done. Did that one-time change of term-limit rules represent a fatal undermining of democracy? Hardly, but it raised the prospect that, if Bloomberg were a little less benevolent, or if an issue was really important to him, he could probably push it through to pursue his own selfish ends at the expense of the city's.

The point I was trying to make was that having politicians go hat in hand to wealthy people to fund their campaigns is dangerous. Handing too much power over to billionaires who got elected in their own right is also dangerous, but in a slightly different way. Neither solves the other, and neither will be solved unless we somehow figure out a way to remove big money from politics.

In addition to all of his political issues, Dems throwing their support behind this guy on the heels of MeToo, Kavanaugh, etc. would be...questionable.

‘I’d do her’: A Brief History of Michael Bloomberg’s Public Sexism

“The Royal family—what a bunch of misfits—a gay, an architect, that horsey faced lesbian, and a kid who gave up Koo Stark for some fat broad.”

“If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains, they'd go to the library instead of to Bloomingdale's.”

“I know for a fact that any self-respecting woman who walks past a construction site and doesn't get a whistle will turn around and walk past again and again until she does get one.”

"What, is the guy dumb and blind? What the hell is he marrying you for?" and, a week later, "Still engaged? What, is he that good in bed, or did your father pay him off to get rid of you?"

And, as a bonus: he has multiple NDAs with former female employees regarding workplace misconduct. Let’s not do this.

This isn’t substantive or important and I know Bloomberg has people who do this, but something I like from his tweets is that he actually @‘s Trump’s actual @RealDonaldTrump handle. 

ren hoek said:
Bloomberg thinks there is much we could learn from countries where drug dealers are executed.  From 2012: U.S. Could Learn From Singapore's Harsh Drug Laws, Bloomberg Says

BROOKLYN — Fresh off a trip to East Asia, Mayor Michael Bloomberg suggested Monday that American lawmakers might have a thing or two to learn from nations like Singapore, where drug dealers can be executed for their crimes.

Bloomberg, who just returned from a trip to Singapore and Vietnam, suggested that rather than legalization of marijuana, another approach might be better in the war on drugs: tougher enforcement.

"In lots of places in the Far East, they have signs up, 'Death to drug dealers,'" he said, at an unrelated press conference.

"Think about the number of people who die from drug use here in this country. And yet we don’t take it seriously enough to dissuade people."

In Singapore, he said, “Executing a handful of people saves thousands and thousands of lives."

Bloomberg stopped short of advocating a similar policy in the U.S., saying the tactics "don't fit our definition of democracy," but the mayor said that American lawmakers might have something to learn from about protecting citizens' well-being.

"I’m not suggesting we go kill ‘em. But when you talk to people overseas, they can’t understand why we allow people to deal in drugs [that] are killing people," he said.
And this is why I seriously worry about a Mayor Mike candidacy. His nannyism and authoritarian stripes ring out like Trump's, to a lesser extent. But the spirit in his actions beats loudly, IMHO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa:

Poll of #Florida’s 3/17 Democratic presidential primary:

• @MikeBloomberg  27%
  • @JoeBiden  26%
  • @PeteButtigieg  11%
  • @BernieSanders  10%
  • @amyklobuchar  9%
  • @ElizabethWarren  5%
  • @TomSteyer
  • 1% Undecided 11%

Whoa:

• @MikeBloomberg  27%
  • @JoeBiden  26%
  • @PeteButtigieg  11%
  • @BernieSanders  10%
  • @amyklobuchar  9%
  • @ElizabethWarren  5%
  • @TomSteyer
  • 1% Undecided 11%
The other candidates needed to start attacking Bloomberg weeks ago, it might be too late.  I suspect a pile-on at the Nevada debate next week but not sure how effective that will be.

Whoa:

• @MikeBloomberg  27%
  • @JoeBiden  26%
  • @PeteButtigieg  11%
  • @BernieSanders  10%
  • @amyklobuchar  9%
  • @ElizabethWarren  5%
  • @TomSteyer
  • 1% Undecided 11%
That's nice to see on a couple levels.  1.  His ad campaign down here is working and 2. The top 3 are moderates.  

Biden needs to drop out and hand his shares to Mike or Pete.  

She does have the least negatives going for her, imo.  That said, I don't think she has enough personality to overcome the uphill climb our first female president is going to have to make. 
I'm just sort of hoping. I really, really don't want Mayor Mike. He's one of the few politicians who could get me to pull the Trump lever. 

I don't understand how anyone other than Jerry Sandusky could make Trump the lesser of two evils, but ok.
Well, he's Trump-lite, only from the left. I can see executive orders on national soda taxes, gun registries, the whole lot of it. I mean, upthread he's talking about cracking down on the WoD when everybody's about given up the ghost on the paramilitary style raids necessary to execute it, never mind the civil liberties lost in the process of prosecuting it. He's just retrograde both in broad policy deed and in minutiae like controlling what you eat. He's invasive, more so than Trump, who you can tune out to an extent.

He's just...an awful political incarnate who rode none other than Guiliani's coattails in NY and is nothing if not for his billionaire status going for him.

Well, he's Trump-lite, only from the left. I can see executive orders on national soda taxes, gun registries, the whole lot of it. I mean, upthread he's talking about cracking down on the WoD when everybody's about given up the ghost on the paramilitary style raids necessary to execute it, never mind the civil liberties lost in the process of prosecuting it. He's just retrograde both in broad policy deed and in minutiae like controlling what you eat. He's invasive, more so than Trump, who you can tune out to an extent.

He's just...an awful political incarnate who rode none other than Guiliani's coattails in NY and is nothing if not for his billionaire status going for him.
Even if all that were true, which I doubt it would be, getting us back on track to dealing with climate change, restoring order in our democracy, regaining respect with our allies, working to improve our healthcare system, and ending the constant drama associated with Trump would all be more than worth it.

I have been anxiously devouring every anti-Bloomberg article and it's getting to me.  I am feeling too hostile to him and his campaign, I need to keep some perspective.  Just keep reminding myself that he's way better than Trump at least.

Even if all that were true, which I doubt it would be, getting us back on track to dealing with climate change, restoring order in our democracy, regaining respect with our allies, working to improve our healthcare system, and ending the constant drama associated with Trump would all be more than worth it.
I'm unaware of any of his foreign policy positions. I'm all for restoring our pre-Obama alliances (don't forget Obama spurned the U.K. often and well) and getting back to a more normal way of government, I'm just sure that the air of authoritarianism we see in Trump lives large in Bloomberg. 

Awesome. Here's the money shot from that Intercept article. 

“The people who are worried about privacy have a legitimate worry,” Bloomberg said. “But we live in a complex world where you’re going to have to have a level of security greater than you did back in the olden days, if you will. And our laws and our interpretation of the Constitution, I think, have to change.”

I have been anxiously devouring every anti-Bloomberg article and it's getting to me.  I am feeling too hostile to him and his campaign, I need to keep some perspective.  Just keep reminding myself that he's way better than Trump at least.
I don't know man.  I think he's actually worse than Trump.  He's like a smarter, more cold & ruthless Trump.  He really does combine the worst of both worlds with his rightwing/nanny authoritarianism.  Any evil Trump wishes to commit is often constrained by the fact that he is an inept charlatan with little political capital.  Bloomberg would have police in every city slamming black people into the walls.  He'd do everything he could to strip people of their 2A rights.  His contempt for the poor and willingness to subject them to cruelty is practically unrivaled.  

He's out there golfing with Trump & Giuliani, discussing kitchen table issues with Bonesaw, shows up in Epstein's little black book, associated with Ghislaine Maxwell.  He's awful.  And he's circumventing the entire democratic process with money.  You know why Michael Bloomberg can personally rip Trump about people gossiping behind his back?  Because he operates in the same circles Trump does!  We don't need to replace one billionaire oligarch with another one. 

Yeah, ren, I'm totally with you. I was a little tepid in my assessment because I was making sure I remember it right, but Bloomberg is the worst of both worlds. He was mayor of NY when I lived in New Haven, and New York City was getting increasingly ####tier in a freedom index respect by the day, IIRC.

I don't know man.  I think he's actually worse than Trump.  He's like a smarter, more cold & ruthless Trump.  He really does combine the worst of both worlds with his rightwing/nanny authoritarianism.  Any evil Trump wishes to commit is often constrained by the fact that he is an inept charlatan with little political capital.  Bloomberg would have police in every city slamming black people into the walls.  He'd do everything he could to strip people of their 2A rights.  His contempt for the poor and willingness to subject them to cruelty is practically unrivaled.  

He's out there golfing with Trump & Giuliani, discussing kitchen table issues with Bonesaw, shows up in Epstein's little black book, associated with Ghislaine Maxwell.  He's awful.  And he's circumventing the entire democratic process with money.  You know why Michael Bloomberg can personally rip Trump about people gossiping behind his back?  Because he operates in the same circles Trump does!  We don't need to replace one billionaire oligarch with another one. 
Bloomberg's policy views are a lot closer to my policy views.  

Plus when a democrat is in office everyone goes to sleep.  Trump does some really bad things, but at least people are aware of it and upset... when bad things happen under Democrats nobody knows or says you're lying when you point it out

Bloomberg's policy views are a lot closer to my policy views.  
Bloomberg would continue all the wars, the corruption would stay the same, and he’d bring with him actual efficacy.  He’d institutionalize the drug war and racist policing.  It’s about as close as it gets to a rich person singlehandedly buying an election.  I just don’t understand how any nominally left-leaning person can support that.  He’s not running against Trump, he’s running against Bernie Sanders.  

Bloomberg would continue all the wars, the corruption would stay the same, and he’d bring with him actual efficacy.  He’d institutionalize the drug war and racist policing.  It’s about as close as it gets to a rich person singlehandedly buying an election.  I just don’t understand how any nominally left-leaning person can support that.  He’s not running against Trump, he’s running against Bernie Sanders.  
All the wars, all of the deficit (but with economic modelling!), all of the constitutional infringements, all of the restrictions in the name of safety -- all that ####. This guy is a nightmare. 

I'm not supporting Bloomberg in the Democratic primary.  But if it comes down to Bloomberg v. Trump in the general election I'm going to have to vote Bloomberg.  I won't feel happy about it.

I am slowly becoming a bit more informed about him.  Thinking he was a lot prettier from afar than up close.  he is apparently counting on Trump panic to avoid scrutiny and to get elected.  Perhaps there is no reason he shouldn't since that is the most common theme I have been hearing form that side of the aisle.

I'm not supporting Bloomberg in the Democratic primary.  But if it comes down to Bloomberg v. Trump in the general election I'm going to have to vote Bloomberg.  I won't feel happy about it.
Just vote for Trump.  It won't demoralize the left, it will make less of a mockery of the democratic process, you can blame Trump for the stuff Bloomberg would have done, and you still get to vote for a racist billionaire.  

Just vote for Trump.  It won't demoralize the left, it will make less of a mockery of the democratic process, you can blame Trump for the stuff Bloomberg would have done, and you still get to vote for a racist billionaire.  
I can't imagine any circumstance where I vote for Trump in November.  

I would not be surprised if every endorsement Bloomberg has is preceded by a significant contribution to the endorser. Just flat out buying every aspect of the primary process.

I would not be surprised if every endorsement Bloomberg has is preceded by a significant contribution to the endorser. Just flat out buying every aspect of the primary process.
Lee Fang discussed this on the Useful Idiots podcast, was very interesting. A lot of benefits and training to mayor's and their towns

This is the only guy that could win the Dem nomination that would keep me from voting D in this election.  He is everything we're scared the next President could be after all the horrible precedents Trump has set. He's got more money, he's a lot more smart and savvy than Trump, and he can buy the endorsement/silence of anyone and everyone that matters.  

Hell, he isn't even a Democrat!

Let's not let our disdain for Trump set us down this path. Bloomberg has the potential to be worse. The campaign he's running and the methods he employs are antithetical to what we as a nation are supposed to represent. 

Liberals crack me up... They basically hate him for being wealthy and savvy.

You guys mad he will do something about climate change? Angry that he will go to war with the NRA? Maybe you're all upset he wants to reverse the course Trump set us on in regards to immigration? 

It's amazing to me bc he is on the same side as these super libs on so many issues that are supposedly important to them. 

Or is it possible you hate him bc he is a rich Jew from NY?

This is the only guy that could win the Dem nomination that would keep me from voting D in this election.  He is everything we're scared the next President could be after all the horrible precedents Trump has set. He's got more money, he's a lot more smart and savvy than Trump, and he can buy the endorsement/silence of anyone and everyone that matters.  

Hell, he isn't even a Democrat!

Let's not let our disdain for Trump set us down this path. Bloomberg has the potential to be worse. The campaign he's running and the methods he employs are antithetical to what we as a nation are supposed to represent. 
Couldn't agree more. I was all for voting for whoever the Democratic nominee is to get Trump out, but Bloomberg seems to be just a smarter version of Trump which is very dangerous. Not sure I could vote for him if he's the nominee.

Liberals crack me up... They basically hate him for being wealthy and savvy.

You guys mad he will do something about climate change? Angry that he will go to war with the NRA? Maybe you're all upset he wants to reverse the course Trump set us on in regards to immigration? 

It's amazing to me bc he is on the same side as these super libs on so many issues that are supposedly important to them. 

Or is it possible you hate him bc he is a rich Jew from NY?
Jeez, fc42.

Couldn't agree more. I was all for voting for whoever the Democratic nominee is to get Trump out, but Bloomberg seems to be just a smarter version of Trump which is very dangerous. Not sure I could vote for him if he's the nominee.
Anyone who says this has no credibility... You're number 3 on the list. 

It is a legitimate question. He is on their side for so many issues, yet they hate him...
I'd think the members of this board that are liberals are generally woke enough that antisemitism is pretty far away from the reasons.

Reasons such as supporting wide scale use of CCTV, the drug war, stop and frisk, social media profiling, surveillance by the NSA -- all those things add up to quite a bit.

I'd think the members of this board that are liberals are generally woke enough that antisemitism is pretty far away from the reasons.

It is a real question, and I'm certainly not the first person to wonder how many people dislike Bloomberg for being a rich Jewish New Yorker. With a straight face, you can't tell me there isn't a population out there that feels this way. 

Users who are viewing this thread