What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (8 Viewers)

Too lazy to read back why is the word “strike” vs “skipping school” important?
Because "skipping school" implies that the people on the streets don't really believe that climate change is real, they just want to be outside of the classrooms, which makes it easier to dismiss

Last edited by a moderator:
You know the other side is on life support when they are arguing semantics re why people are protesting.   

For those of you that don't believe in climate change, I'm curious what part of the argument you dispute?

• Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere creates a Greenhouse effect, impacting the temperature of the planet
  • Some Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere is good for humans, as it actually keeps the planet comfortably habitable
  • Too much Carbon Dioxide is bad for humans, as it heats up the planet
  • Scientists are able to determine historical Carbon Dioxide levels by probing ice cores
  • For the last 800,000 years, Carbon Dioxide levels were below 300 parts per million
  • Since 1880 (the start of the industrial revolution), we have seen an increase in Carbon Dioxide levels
  • Since 1950 (the last 70 years), Carbon Dioxide levels have increased by over 30% - to over 400ppm
  • The levels of Carbon Dioxide are expected to increase in the coming decades
  • Automobiles, airplanes and factories, which weren't around just 100 years ago, emit Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere
yeah but you know.....Gore made a documentary, which means it’s not true

I'm an old and have 7 birdhouses in the back yard along with a feeder.  This explains some things I've noticed in recent years. :cry:

3 billion fewer birds than we had in 1970: Birds are disappearing at alarming rates in Illinois and across North America, new science reveals
Birds eat insects.  Insects are disappearing at an incredible rate - in parts of Germany, down 75% in 25 years.  In the U.S., certain flies have dropped 80% in number in 20 years.

The insects die off, the birds die off.  It'll work its way up the food chain slowly, one hopes.

A day to attend an event where kids talk about climate change once a year that is being held across the world probably allows plenty of learning opportunities. 
But lets get hung up on what tim called it and sling crap at him rather than discuss the topic.

That's funny.  You guys spend so much time preaching words have meanings when nitpicking everything else.  I guess strike is an exception
Well let’s put it another way then: Imagine that the Republican Party’s complete intransigence on this issue, their refusal to take any action, and as a result their re-election chances in 2020, are encapsulated as bunch of bowling pins. Now picture the students today as a bowling ball heading right for the pins...

That's funny.  You guys spend so much time preaching words have meanings when nitpicking everything else.  I guess strike is an exception
So much time?  Ok....can't speak for others, but I typically engage in that conversation when the definition is completely wrong and people are creating definitions of their own that aren't close to the popular definition...like when Tim uses bigot the way he does or when racism isn't used appropriately etc.  If someone can show me how ": a temporary stoppage of activities in protest against an act or condition" is not what was going on today, I"ll hang up and listen.  That's one of the common, more popular definitions of the word along with "a work stoppage by a body of workers to enforce compliance with demands made on an employer".  Both seem like appropriate descriptions of the events today but I am willing to listen to why they aren't.

Well let’s put it another way then: Imagine that the Republican Party’s complete intransigence on this issue, their refusal to take any action, and as a result their re-election chances in 2020, are encapsulated as bunch of bowling pins. Now picture the students today as a bowling ball heading right for the pins...
Global warming isn't deciding the 2020 election.  Just like the world isn't ending in 2030 as you falsely claimed at one point.

But you wanna go ahead and get rid gas guzzling SUVs and eliminate pollution go for it with some beyond tax this tax that.  At the end of the day, the Trumpers are voting Trump, the never Trumpers are voting for anyone opposite no matter how good or terrible they are, and the middle doesn't give a rats ### about global warming

Global warming isn't deciding the 2020 election.  Just like the world isn't ending in 2030 as you falsely claimed at one point.

But you wanna go ahead and get rid gas guzzling SUVs and eliminate pollution go for it with some beyond tax this tax that.  At the end of the day, the Trumpers are voting Trump, the never Trumpers are voting for anyone opposite no matter how good or terrible they are, and the middle doesn't give a rats ### about global warming
This post is wrong on several counts starting with the fact that I ever claimed the world will end in 2030. 

But that error pales in comparison to your statement that the “middle doesn’t give a rats ### about global warming.” Boy are you wrong about that. In fact, in the several years I’ve read your posts here I’ve never seen you more wrong about a single issue. 

This post is wrong on several counts starting with the fact that I ever claimed the world will end in 2030. 

But that error pales in comparison to your statement that the “middle doesn’t give a rats ### about global warming.” Boy are you wrong about that. In fact, in the several years I’ve read your posts here I’ve never seen you more wrong about a single issue. 
My batting average is way better than yours.  You're usually below the Mendoza line so I'm comfortable here.  People have opinions on global warming but they aren't casting a ballot based on it.  They vote on economical issues, Health Care, immigration, or even guns, national security or even a damn SCOTUS seat.  They don't vote based on global warming.

I'm an old and have 7 birdhouses in the back yard along with a feeder.  This explains some things I've noticed in recent years. :cry:

3 billion fewer birds than we had in 1970: Birds are disappearing at alarming rates in Illinois and across North America, new science reveals
That’s an interesting article although it seems to point to agricultural practices more than climate change.
Was listening to this topic on NPR's Science Friday.  They acknowledge that they don't know for sure what's causing the declines and that similar declines in the past have been because of things like DDT and such...that's what almost cause the bald eagles to go extinct.  They are looking at it from all perspectives to figure out what's going on.

Greta Thunberg's Speech:

My message is that we'll be watching you.

This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you!

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!

For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough, when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.

You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you. But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice. They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist.

So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences.

To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise – the best odds given by the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] – the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1st, 2018. Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons.

How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just 'business as usual' and some technical solutions? With today's emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than 8 1/2 years.

There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable. And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

Damn.

HA HA HA HA...Some little girl with a paid for, written speech delivers it and you guys drool over each other.

I do not want, need or appreciate being lectured to by a high school girl that doesn't have 1/2 of the life experiences I have.

Ugh...Horrible....Go away please.  Go back to class where you belong.  Sorry, just cause you have a strong opinion on climate change doesn't give you the right to lecture me like my elder.  I don't respect you at all.   And quite frankly, how dare you.

HA HA HA HA...Some little girl with a paid for, written speech delivers it and you guys drool over each other.

I do not want, need or appreciate being lectured to by a high school girl that doesn't have 1/2 of the life experiences I have.

Ugh...Horrible....Go away please.  Go back to class where you belong.  Sorry, just cause you have a strong opinion on climate change doesn't give you the right to lecture me like my elder.  I don't respect you at all.   And quite frankly, how dare you.
Supermike80 is scared of a teenager. She has every right to be pissed after what our generation has done to this planet.

Yes...by all means, shoot the messenger and ignore all the adults who've spent all their professional lives dedicated to the topic and providing mountains of evidence that she is repeating.  :lmao:  

Some little girl with a paid for, written speech
I've been reading a biography of Frederick Douglass, and this was the same response he received from slave owners and racists who attended his speeches. Rather than argue with their content, they assured each other that somebody must have written the speeches for him (because a black man couldn't speak like that) and they accused him of being a pawn. When that didn't work, they angrily responded that "no black man is going to lecture me" etc.

Have you ever spoken to the U.N.? Have you ever lead millions of people around the world in a social movement? It seems to me maybe she’s packed a lot of life experiences into a short time.  
Not to mention being an agent of the Deep State.  Apparently "the Dems" are responsible for what goes on in Sweden and at the UN.  Their reach knows no bounds.

Figured this was the best place to put this as it basically points out inane statements Trump is using to support the roll back of the Obama fuel efficiency goals. 

https://jalopnik.com/donald-trump-doesnt-know-####-about-cars-1838361782

Greta Thunberg's Speech:

My message is that we'll be watching you.

This is all wrong. I shouldn't be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you!

You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!

For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you're doing enough, when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.

You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil. And that I refuse to believe.

The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

Fifty percent may be acceptable to you. But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice. They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist.

So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences.

To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise – the best odds given by the [Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change] – the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1st, 2018. Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons.

How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just 'business as usual' and some technical solutions? With today's emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than 8 1/2 years.

There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable. And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

You are failing us. But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

Thank you.

Damn.
Kid ain't wrong.

Assuming that nothing changes, it will certainly be interesting to see how people of my and earlier generations are viewed by the great grand kids on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread