What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (1 Viewer)

I mean, what's our big contribution?  We got McDonald's to stop using styrofoam for burgers and switch to wax paper?  We added corn squeezin' to gas?

Yes they do...13 and 14 year olds do as well and Ive seen it.
Par for the course, sho. I see passion every day in 14-18 year olds but they have been beat down time and time again by older people. I try to spread as much hope as possible but, again, they get beat down and fall into a system they have been told they are a part of. There is hope for the future but the game that has been set up is demoralizing. But, there are people that don't care what "kids" think about and are told to "fall in line." Adults are a cruel people.

Par for the course, sho. I see passion every day in 14-18 year olds but they have been beat down time and time again by older people. I try to spread as much hope as possible but, again, they get beat down and fall into a system they have been told they are a part of. There is hope for the future but the game that has been set up is demoralizing. But, there are people that don't care what "kids" think about and are told to "fall in line." Adults are a cruel people.
Interesting. I don't doubt what you've seen there but that's a bummer you see it that way.

I feel like I see the opposite. I see young people, especially 14-18 year olds being encouraged more than ever to explore and be who they want to be. Maybe it's just my experience but I don't see at all what you're describing. I don't see cruelty in adults. By and large I see them encouraging young people to be who they want. Often in non traditional type things. 

Interesting. I don't doubt what you've seen there but that's a bummer you see it that way.

I feel like I see the opposite. I see young people, especially 14-18 year olds being encouraged more than ever to explore and be who they want to be. Maybe it's just my experience but I don't see at all what you're describing. I don't see cruelty in adults. By and large I see them encouraging young people to be who they want. Often in non traditional type things. 
Tomorrow, I may see >500 kids walking the halls to get to their classes and I could pull 99% of them to the side and ask them where they see themselves in 10 years. The overall response, paraphrased, I would receive is something like, "I don't know. I'm going to be a rap star, basketball player, drug dealer, or dead." I can encourage kids each day, and I do, and other teachers do as well, but the kids I know have been shown a world that you, Joe, and others, are oblivious to. And, that's okay, I don't fault you or others for that, however, the fault comes in when you, and others, fail to recognize the difficulties that today's youth or the challenges they have are not what we see in the media.

It is what it is but let's not sugar coat or set aside difficulties today's kids are facing by telling ourselves they should, "just get over it." Our future is bright but for many, it's dim.

Many youth feel like her. But not many will when they get to their 20s and have bills, mortgages, children, taxes and life’s realities staring them in the face. 

Then for the vast majority of youth crusaders it will be about ME, and my standard of life, and my current problems,

And just like generations before them, the environment will become an afterthought that a future generation can deal with. 

They, like us, are human. 

Tomorrow, I may see >500 kids walking the halls to get to their classes and I could pull 99% of them to the side and ask them where they see themselves in 10 years. The overall response, paraphrased, I would receive is something like, "I don't know. I'm going to be a rap star, basketball player, drug dealer, or dead." I can encourage kids each day, and I do, and other teachers do as well, but the kids I know have been shown a world that you, Joe, and others, are oblivious to. And, that's okay, I don't fault you or others for that, however, the fault comes in when you, and others, fail to recognize the difficulties that today's youth or the challenges they have are not what we see in the media.

It is what it is but let's not sugar coat or set aside difficulties today's kids are facing by telling ourselves they should, "just get over it." Our future is bright but for many, it's dim.
I was replying to what you said about adults beating down kids dreams.

If you want to shift to the challenges young people face, that's for sure a different and a valuable conversation. I try to recognize difficulties young people face. I absolutely understand the economic privilege many of the young people I'm around have. And I'm not sugar coating difficulties or telling kids to "get over it". 

I'm saying I see lots of adults encouraging kids to be who they can be. 

If she wants to step into the political arena with the grown ups, especially on as large a platform as she currently has, she should expect no less than to be treated like an adult.
It's not the grown ups I take issue with.  It's the people who are threatening her and who are mocking her that I take issue with.  The last description of those people I'd use is "grown up".....they are anything but :shrug:  

You probably do Joe...this is systemic and depending on where you're at in the system you're going to see different things.  Click on the link above that takes you to a few minutes of her remarks, then scroll through twitter responses and tell me you don't see the same thing MK sees.  

Many youth feel like her. But not many will when they get to their 20s and have bills, mortgages, children, taxes and life’s realities staring them in the face. 

Then for the vast majority of youth crusaders it will be about ME, and my standard of life, and my current problems,

And just like generations before them, the environment will become an afterthought that a future generation can deal with. 

They, like us, are human. 
I think you are dead wrong about this.  The younger generation recognizes what a crisis this is.  Saying you have bills to pay and therefore will reject the reality of what many consider the biggest existential crisis we have faced is exactly the bs she was talking about in that speech.  

I was replying to what you said about adults beating down kids dreams.

If you want to shift to the challenges young people face, that's for sure a different and a valuable conversation. I try to recognize difficulties young people face. I absolutely understand the economic privilege many of the young people I'm around have. And I'm not sugar coating difficulties or telling kids to "get over it". 

I'm saying I see lots of adults encouraging kids to be who they can be. 
My previous comments were not towards you, Joe, but the proverbial "you." So, I hope there was zero offense when you read the reply.

As to the adults beating down kids dreams... I see that all around me each day. From conversations with kids about their dreams, what they like, what they don't like, why things are important, so on and so on. The "beat down" comes from society with the notion of "know your place." Just above, a comment, from a presumed adult, said, "16 year olds don't act like that."

It's sad but pertinent but I asked a small group of kids last week if what they see on the news, is what they believe African Americans act like. All of the kids (14-15) believed that African Americans behave like the murderers, thieves, and so on that they have seen on the news their whole lives. My students see their dreams halted by what they see around them, what they hear at night, how the houses look where they live, other things in the media, music, parents, neighbors, comments.

There is hope, there is a bright future, but many people, above you and me, will continue to do their damnedest to keep it the way it is. And, there are many people who are the underlings that will comply and continue to do so. Our future is not bleak, but many want it to be for those who do not look like them.

You probably do Joe...this is systemic and depending on where you're at in the system you're going to see different things.  Click on the link above that takes you to a few minutes of her remarks, then scroll through twitter responses and tell me you don't see the same thing MK sees.  
Oh for sure. I've no interest in twitter comments to political topics. It's a toxic environment that feels beyond help.

I jumped in to comment just on the how adults treat young people. I've been in that phase of life for the last few years with my four kids ages 18-25 and I was encouraged to see what felt like a healthy attitude of adults towards young people. But for sure, I realize my anecdotal experience may not be the norm. 

My previous comments were not towards you, Joe, but the proverbial "you." So, I hope there was zero offense when you read the reply.

As to the adults beating down kids dreams... I see that all around me each day. From conversations with kids about their dreams, what they like, what they don't like, why things are important, so on and so on. The "beat down" comes from society with the notion of "know your place." Just above, a comment, from a presumed adult, said, "16 year olds don't act like that."

It's sad but pertinent but I asked a small group of kids last week if what they see on the news, is what they believe African Americans act like. All of the kids (14-15) believed that African Americans behave like the murderers, thieves, and so on that they have seen on the news their whole lives. My students see their dreams halted by what they see around them, what they hear at night, how the houses look where they live, other things in the media, music, parents, neighbors, comments.

There is hope, there is a bright future, but many people, above you and me, will continue to do their damnedest to keep it the way it is. And, there are many people who are the underlings that will comply and continue to do so. Our future is not bleak, but many want it to be for those who do not look like them.
Thanks. For sure, no offense taken.

Thanks for the work you're doing with young people. 

I think you are dead wrong about this.  The younger generation recognizes what a crisis this is.  Saying you have bills to pay and therefore will reject the reality of what many consider the biggest existential crisis we have faced is exactly the bs she was talking about in that speech.  
I agree with what you said. Today they recognize what a crisis this is. This point alone doesn’t disagree with my post. 

I believe teens today will be unwilling to reduce their standard of life to deal with this issue once the responsibilities of life hit them. 

I am not clear if the YOU in your post means ME, but to be clear: I do recognize and support efforts to reduce climate change. I work in one of the least understood and easiest to improve offenders to climate change; commercial buildings. 

But I have my eyes opened to the fact that most of my peers (age 44) care more about making their bill payments than reducing their quality of life to tackle this issue. 

I agree with what you said. Today they recognize what a crisis this is. This point alone doesn’t disagree with my post. 

I believe teens today will be unwilling to reduce their standard of life to deal with this issue once the responsibilities of life hit them. 

I am not clear if the YOU in your post means ME, but to be clear: I do recognize and support efforts to reduce climate change. I work in one of the least understood and easiest to improve offenders to climate change; commercial buildings. 

But I have my eyes opened to the fact that most of my peers (age 44) care more about making their bill payments than reducing their quality of life to tackle this issue. 
A whole lot of this NOT going on in here and in the world.

The Duff Man said:

This is a hilarious and just largely false response when you consider the fact it's all the old folk so damn resistant to med-4-all.

Young people understand the perspective that somebody has to take that initial hit in taxes before it's just built into the system and nobody thinks about it. Like the kids of millennials will just understand the large taxes of med-4-all to be part of life, it will be so engrained to every generation after nobody will question it. It's the AARP'ers holding the millennials back because durrr, capitalism! Murica!

When FOxNews has to apologize for you - you know you have gone too far:

Max Tani

@maxwelltani

·

12m

Fox News statement: “The comment made by Michael Knowles who was a guest on The Story tonight was disgraceful - we apologize to Greta Thunberg and to our viewers.”

When FOxNews has to apologize for you - you know you have gone too far:

Max Tani

@maxwelltani

·

12m

Fox News statement: “The comment made by Michael Knowles who was a guest on The Story tonight was disgraceful - we apologize to Greta Thunberg and to our viewers.”
Wow. Good for FN. 

This is a hilarious and just largely false response when you consider the fact it's all the old folk so damn resistant to med-4-all.

Young people understand the perspective that somebody has to take that initial hit in taxes before it's just built into the system and nobody thinks about it. Like the kids of millennials will just understand the large taxes of med-4-all to be part of life, it will be so engrained to every generation after nobody will question it. It's the AARP'ers holding the millennials back because durrr, capitalism! Murica!
You actually just supported his statement.

Some voters: a 16 year old is adult enough to date an adult, Roy Moore can be a Senator. 

Some voters: a 16 year old trying to tell me about climate change is a joke. Go back to class.

Willing to bet the Venn diagram has a touch of overlap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Her speech was great but it also depresses me because we’re not going to do anything close to what she is demanding. We’re not capable of it. 

You're right. What awful human beings, to want everyone to have the ability to walk into a medical facility and get the care they need to live as healthy and pain free as possible. Pure evil, I say.
Now you are trying to move the goalposts. Duff man pointed out that people care a lot more about the greater good when they have little to no responsibilities and then they start to care more about their own personal lot in life as those responsibilities grow.

You pointed out that old people don't favor medicare for all and young people do in an effort to refute him. That is an argument in favor of his position, not against it. Old people already have medicare. Young people dont. 

Now you are trying to move the goalposts. Duff man pointed out that people care a lot more about the greater good when they have little to no responsibilities and then they start to care more about their own personal lot in life as those responsibilities grow.

You pointed out that old people don't favor medicare for all and young people do in an effort to refute him. That is an argument in favor of his position, not against it. Old people already have medicare. Young people dont. 
This is true for some people and the opposite of what happens to some people. 

Do you think children (in general) or adults (in general) are more self-centered? I would say young people are significantly more focused on their own personal happiness and as they mature they begin to see the needs of others as more important than those needs were when they were young. 

I don’t know many developmental psychology professionals who would dispute that. 

There’s a massive body of research that shows that adults are significantly more empathetic than children.  Now, when it starts to make sense of course the newness of it can lead to some overzealousness, but on average a 40 year old is light years beyond a 10 year old (or a 12 year old or a 16 year old) on the empathy scale.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread