Joe Bryant

Eagles Backfield Now? - Jay Ajayi to IR

148 posts in this topic

Grab Ingram from the Saints since they seem comfortable enough with Kamara the last 4 weeks.

9 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

I think it’s not nice to tease us DJ owners like that.

I'm one too @heckmanm  !

I'd love it. But you're probably right, most likely a tease.

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, scottybo said:

Grab Ingram from the Saints since they seem comfortable enough with Kamara the last 4 weeks.

As long as he doesn't go to GNC with Lane, I like it. 

1 minute ago, Joe Bryant said:

I'm one too @heckmanm  !

I'd love it. But you're probably right, most likely a tease.

:wub:

3 hours ago, Nucker101 said:

Still a RBBC but whoever gets the most redzone snaps has decent value 

Edit: I agree that the pass game sees a boost

Its @Nucker101 the shady, disappearing commish. Lol. Where have you been?

@wakelawyerLooks who it is!!

3 minutes ago, jeaton6 said:

Its @Nucker101 the shady, disappearing commish. Lol. Where have you been?

@wakelawyerLooks who it is!!

Keep this on Football and Eagles RBs. If you've got something private, take it private. 

2 people like this

It wasn’t that long ago that Smallwood was about to assume the feature back job before getting hurt in 2016, seeing the team sign Blount and Ajayi in 2017, and almost get cut this past offseason.

All that probably doesn’t matter anymore, but things change fast and Smallwood has been largely playing well. And unlike Ajayi, he gets used in the passing game.

Will be interesting to see what happens the next few weeks.

If DJ got traded to Philly it might not be that good for his fantasy outlook.  Would they actually feed him the ball, or would the other RBs there keep it a committee? 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

If DJ got traded to Philly it might not be that good for his fantasy outlook.  Would they actually feed him the ball, or would the other RBs there keep it a committee? 

Exactly.  It's going to stay a committee.  It's just we don't know who is in it yet

Edited by need2know

6 minutes ago, need2know said:

Exactly.  It's going to stay a committee.  It's just we don't know who is in it yet

Curious, why do you think it would stay a committee? Do you think David Johnson isn't significantly better than the other guys?

3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Curious, why do you think it would stay a committee? Do you think David Johnson isn't significantly better than the other guys?

Only because Doug Peterson has yet to ever really commit to one back.  A couple weeks back when clement got 19 touches was the most any phili rb had gotten in like 3 years. He should change with a rb like Johnson or Bell but who knows

3 people like this

Put another way, I think Pederson and RB coach Duce Staley are such strong believers in RBBC that they would never feel the need to trade for a Bell or Johnson type. 

When is trade deadline? Hate to go in heavy to pick Clement who I dropped back up to have another Ajayi type traded for which I think is very realistic as Fletch just restructured his deal. 

9 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Put another way, I think Pederson and RB coach Duce Staley are such strong believers in RBBC that they would never feel the need to trade for a Bell or Johnson type. 

That I can see. 

4 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Our Phil Alexander said this:

i have a hard time seeing the Eagles let Smallwood be the lead back. He isn't made to be a lead back, and his pass protection (though better last game) is going to possibly get their franchise QB killed. i think Sproles is the sneaky grab because he should be good to go in a few weeks and will be cheaper. Shame the Pats signed Barner today, Eagles probably need to just get someone. I could see a Spencer Ware maybe..

1 hour ago, SameSongNDance said:

Clement practiced in full today

Rotoworld

Corey Clement (quad) is practicing in full for Week 6.

The Eagles play the Giants on Thursday night, and Philly just lost Jay Ajayi to a season-ending ACL tear, putting Clement and Wendell Smallwood squarely in the crosshairs of fantasy owners. Clement should be back this week. Oct 8 - 7:23 PM

I’m willing to take a chance on Smallwood  over Clement.  Soft tissue injuries linger (Hi Fournette and D. Cook) and despite him practicing full it is prone to reinjure at any moment causing a setback.

2 hours ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I’ve always liked Smallwood. I suspect RBBC, but Smallwood should have more value in PPR. Maybe standard too if he gets enough opportunity. 

He had a major issue with pass protection his first 2 years. Maybe he got better.

Bell and Johnson?  I don't think so.  I would figure they'd try to pry LeGarrette Blount away from the Lions for whatever lower draft pick it would take before they'd give up high pick(s) for Johnson or Bell.  Blount would know the system (advantage over Bell and Johnson) and he's played this season (advantage over Bell).  With Smallwood/Clement/Sproles.....getting a bellcow like Bell or Johnson would be overkill for that position.  

Clement, Smallwood and Sproles.  That's who it will be.  

1 person likes this

Plus, Bell/Johnson would muck up their cap/salaries for next year.  I don't think there was a person in PHI who thought they'd give Ajayi any money next year and instead were going to rely on getting a rookie RB in the early/mid rounds. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Tevin Coleman is intriguing.  Atl is using Ito Smith a ton.  Freeman under contract.  They are already going to let Coleman walk after tvOS year.

Edited by steelwind
1 person likes this

What would a Tevin Coleman type cost? Situation like that where team is struggling and they can easily fill his spot with Smith may make more sense than breaking the bank for Bell/DJ type. 

Just now, steelwind said:

Tevin Coleman is intriguing.

Jinx 

1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Jinx 

Coleman sux they would never go after him

8 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

He had a major issue with pass protection his first 2 years. Maybe he got better.

Doesn’t seem like he has so far this year

1 minute ago, steelwind said:

Coleman sux they would never go after him

Did someone hack your account above that liked him?

10 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Did someone hack your account above that liked him?

Was trying to reverse jinx

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

Yet another reporter or analyst who doesn’t know anything about the salary cap. Card’s are estimated between 6M and 9M below the cap right now depending on if one looks at sporttrac or Over The Cap. Trading DJ would result in an additional 9M in accelerated dead money and a savings of only about 1.2M in salary this year. So they would have to dump some salary or restructure guys to get it done.

Eagles are estimated at less than $4M so same thing, they would have to restructure big time to fit Bell’s franchise tag in.

Posted (edited)

Coleman, Henry, Lynch, Blount, Ingram, Abdullah, D Martin- all those guys except Ingram should be had for a song.

Edited by The Dude

35 minutes ago, Thunderlips said:

Plus, Bell/Johnson would muck up their cap/salaries for next year.  I don't think there was a person in PHI who thought they'd give Ajayi any money next year and instead were going to rely on getting a rookie RB in the early/mid rounds. 

How would Bell mess up their cap for next year?  He can only be signed for 2018'

1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Rotoworld

The Eagles play the Giants on Thursday night, and Philly just lost Jay Ajayi to a season-ending ACL tear, putting Clement and Wendell Smallwood squarely in the crosshairs of fantasy owners. Clement should be back this week. Oct 8 - 7:23 PM

Some clarity on this.  Teams that play on Sunday then again the following Thurs do not practice on Mon.  That’s killing your players.  What teams do is declare the intended practice designation.  Clement did NOT actually physically practiced in full.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, steelwind said:

1 hour ago, Amused to Death said:

Rotoworld

Some clarity on this.  Teams that play on Sunday then again the following Thurs do not practice on Mon.  That’s killing your players.  What teams do is declare the intended practice designation.  Clement did NOT actually physically practiced in full.

They held a walk-through today.  This from BGN:

The Philadelphia Eagles released their first official injury report on Monday in advance of their Week 6 Thursday Night Football game against the New York Giants.

The Eagles held a walk-through instead of a standard practice, so note that today’s injury report is an estimation.

The good news is that Corey Clement was listed as a full participant. Clement seemed to be moving well during warmups prior to the Eagles vs. Vikings game on Sunday. He was activated for the game but he did not play. It seems like he might’ve been good to go in an emergency situation. It’d be great to get Clement back on the field this week, especially with Jay Ajayi’s season now over.

Four Eagles players were listed as limited participants: Jason Peters, Lane Johnson, Sidney Jones, and D.J. Alexander. Jones had to leave Sunday’s game early after spraining his ankle. I’d imagine these players have a good shot to play on Thursday. They’re just not going to be playing at 100%.

Five players did not participate: Derek Barnett, Darren Sproles, Nathan Gerry, Corey Graham, and Haloti Ngata. Other than maybe Gerry, it doesn’t seem like we’ll see these guys suit up against the Giants. The Eagles’ recent addition of defensive tackle T.Y. McGill specifically doesn’t bode well for Ngata.

The Eagles will hold their first real practice ahead of the Giants game tomorrow on Tuesday.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES INJURY REPORT (MONDAY)

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

DE Derek Barnett (shoulder)
LB Nathan Gerry (ankle, knee)
S Corey Graham (hamstring)
DT Haloti Ngata (calf)
RB Darren Sproles (hamstrng)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION

LB D.J. Alexander (quad)
OT Lane Johnston (ankle)
CB Sidney Jones (ankle)
OT Jason Peters (quad)

FULL PARTICIPATION

RB Corey Clement (quad)

Clement is the best RB on the active roster right now.  He was the best when Ajayi was healthy, imo.

1 person likes this

a little surprised to see the staff leaning towards smallwood here...

it certainly seems that sometime last season, clement passed him on the depth chart and hasn't looked back.

going back to week 8, 2017, the only time smallwood outtouched clement in a game both played was week 17 when the eagles rested most of their starters (5 games). and clement has outtouched smallwood both times they both played this year.

smallwood certainly could play his way back ahead of clement, but if clement is really 100% and doesn't appear on the injury report this week, he seems like the better grab & start.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, strong said:

a little surprised to see the staff leaning towards smallwood here...

it certainly seems that sometime last season, clement passed him on the depth chart and hasn't looked back.

going back to week 8, 2017, the only time smallwood outtouched clement in a game both played was week 17 when the eagles rested most of their starters (5 games). and clement has outtouched smallwood both times they both played this year.

smallwood certainly could play his way back ahead of clement, but if clement is really 100% and doesn't appear on the injury report this week, he seems like the better grab & start.

:goodposting:

There's a reason everyone was scrambling to add Clement a few weeks ago, and Smallwood was :tumbleweed:

Edited by davearm

First, assume they’re all healthy. Then, ask who gets the TDs.

I really need some help at RB in a couple of dynasty leagues but I think i might give this a pass. We already have a timeshare between Smallwood and Clement even before Sproles comes back. Add in the potential to trade for some to help this year and next, and I really think I will let someone else take the risk here.

8 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

I would say Ameer Abdullah, Tevin Coleman, LeSean McCoy, Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller are only RBs I could see teams trading right now of relevance.

Oh god please no.  Bringing back Mathews was enough.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Insein said:

I don't like it but Carson is going to be throwing 40+ times a game. 

Yep, he will.  That's pretty much average or below average for a qb this year though.