Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

Jamal Khashoggi - Disappearance/Possible Murder

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

That is actually pretty funny.  

He is such a weirdo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing that the argument for not cutting all ties with this murderous regime is that we need their oil and we need to keep selling them arms so that they can continue to bomb children in Yemen.  Bring on the higher oil prices.

If we do nothing about this, or even send a weak response, then I fear our elected officials are not much better than them.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The silver lining here is all the titans of industry that helped MBS along during his PR world tour here in the States and Thomas Friedman with his “Saudi reformer” puff pieces plastered all over the New York Times- after their work humanizing the Saudi regime- getting exposed for the total frauds they are.  

This is a big deal.  And it’s going to expose a lot of duplicity in Washington.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

The silver lining here is all the titans of industry that helped MBS along during his PR world tour here in the States and Thomas Friedman with his “Saudi reformer” puff pieces plastered all over the New York Times- after their work humanizing the Saudi regime- getting exposed for the total frauds they are.  

This is a big deal.  And it’s going to expose a lot of duplicity in Washington.

Exposed by whom?  The people who think the Saudis were suddenly not human rights abusers are watching Fox News.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Now imagine it was Russia or Iran

What’s your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

Post editor discusses her colleague.  She breaks down.

Thanks for this link.  Anyone who hasn’t taken the time to watch should.  This is a surreal story.  We know Trump doesn’t give one damn about justice over power, but here’s a another chance for him to embroider it on the leather seats of our democracy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

What’s your point?

The point is for you to imagine what the response would look like if an Official Bad Guy did it, and what it is now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

The point is for you to imagine what the response would look like if an Official Bad Guy did it, and what it is now.  

From whom?  Posters on this board or POTUS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Disappointing that the argument for not cutting all ties with this murderous regime is that we need their oil and we need to keep selling them arms so that they can continue to bomb children in Yemen.  Bring on the higher oil prices.

If we do nothing about this, or even send a weak response, then I fear our elected officials are not much better than them.

Pretty sure we dont want the whole "Islamic State" thing to happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

The point is for you to imagine what the response would look like if an Official Bad Guy did it, and what it is now.  

If it were Iran we'd be in the middle of nuking the entire country into a sheet of glass, if it were Russia we'd be doing exactly what we're doing now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

Pretty sure we dont want the whole "Islamic State" thing to happen.  

Would stopping arms sales and oil purchases cause this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

If it were Iran we'd be in the middle of nuking the entire country into a sheet of glass, if it were Russia we'd be doing exactly what we're doing now. 

Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ren hoek said:

Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  

It would lead to harsher sanctions by Congress that would never be implemented by the administration against Russia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ren hoek said:

Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  

Also, it's on the front page of all the major news sites.  It just so happens the strongest hurricane to make landfall in the US in a quarter century was yesterday, we're in the middle of midterms, and the Dow Jones lost all gains from two and a half months in the last eight days.  I agree it should be a bigger story, but I'm not sure it would be even if ISIS had put out a video of helping SA do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ren hoek said:

Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  

It is being covered pretty extensively in the news I read, as the shady connections between the administration and the current Saudi leadership. It is almost like covering all of Trump's corruption, shady dealings, and likely crimes is hard to do

Edited by Slapdash
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard at least a half dozen stories on him today.  No idea how anyone would get the idea this is being whitewashed.

Well, actually that's not true now that I think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Turkey tells US it has audio of him being tortured and murdered.

Link

That's okay.  Trump doesn't want to lose the money the Saudis spend in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

My rudimentary understanding is that this was an rendition plot gone bad - with the drugs supposed to sedate Khashoggi, instead killing him.

If that were the case, I could see someone in the Trump administration either signing off on that plan, or at least promising to look the other way.  

It does appear that this has been nothing but keystone kops since it went down though.  Saudi's look bad - not just for the killing, but also for the cover-up.  We look bad, by allowing the Saudi's to cover it up - we are almost complicit in this by "demanding" that the Saudi's cooperate with the investigation, when it seems that everyone who needs to know what happened already knows what happened.

 

But, if we do nothing here - then what do we stand for as a nation?  Money is more important than human rights?  Sad.

Same as it's ever been, but never highlighted like it is under the current administration. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, toshiba said:

That's okay.  Trump doesn't want to lose the money the Saudis spend in the US.

While id live to poop on trump about this, both W and obama have been absolute cowards regarding saudi arabia too.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dedfin said:
16 hours ago, toshiba said:

That's okay.  Trump doesn't want to lose the money the Saudis spend in the US.

While id live to poop on trump about this, both W and obama have been absolute cowards regarding saudi arabia too.

I agree, but it's still worth pointing out 

Edited by toshiba
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now word is that Turkey has not only audio, but video evidence of the incident. I'm sure SA is thrilled that their embassy has been compromised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

Now word is that Turkey has not only audio, but video evidence of the incident. I'm sure SA is thrilled that their embassy has been compromised. 

Can Apple watches take video? He linked his watch with his phone and gave the phone to his wife before he went in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Apple Jack said:

Can Apple watches take video? He linked his watch with his phone and gave the phone to his wife before he went in.

no camera on the apple watch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Apple Jack said:

Can Apple watches take video? He linked his watch with his phone and gave the phone to his wife before he went in.

The watch itself can't, but there are wrist straps you can get for it that have a camera in them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

The watch itself can't, but there are wrist straps you can get for it that have a camera in them.

Considering how quickly they were willing to share that they had video and audio, the source had to be somebody not associated with the Turkish govt right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Considering how quickly they were willing to share that they had video and audio, the source had to be somebody not associated with the Turkish govt right?

No idea.  I think Turkey's got a strong goal of prying us away from Saudi Arabia, and they'd be willing to use this to do it.  Turkey backs Qatar and we back Saudi Arabia - it's probably why Turkey released Andrew Brunson today, make it a big week of "Turkey's got your back."

Edited by Henry Ford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tom Skerritt said:

Reported that one of the 15 "assassins" is an "autopsy expert".

CNN reported intelligence that he was dismembered with a bone saw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Apple Jack said:

Considering how quickly they were willing to share that they had video and audio, the source had to be somebody not associated with the Turkish govt right?

The original report said Turkish officials hesitated to release the recordings out of fear it would compromise their intelligence methods.  At that point, I think they were just being described.  It’s possible they still are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

No idea.  I think Turkey's got a strong goal of prying us away from Saudi Arabia, and they'd be willing to use this to do it.  Turkey backs Qatar and we back Saudi Arabia - it's probably why Turkey released Andrew Brunson today, make it a big week of "Turkey's got your back."

exactly what I thought when I saw the Brunson headline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that when I'm taking out a 59 year old journalist, I send in 15 of my heaviest hitters. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I'm all for being fair, but this is a very specific situation in which we know that Trump and the Saudis have been aligned against a particular person for some time.

Are you ready to come over to the dark side and join in my (completely unsupported by evidence) suspicion that the Trump Administration knew about this ahead of time? Let's blame John Bolton.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

I know that when I'm taking out a 59 year old journalist, I send in 15 of my heaviest hitters. 

 

Apparently he was interrogated, chopped up, and disposed of.  Doing that efficiently and cleanly would probably take a decent sized team.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a journalist though.  They must have really disliked this guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

Are you ready to come over to the dark side and join in my (completely unsupported by evidence) suspicion that the Trump Administration knew about this ahead of time? Let's blame John Bolton.

I continue to hope that is not the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Insomniac said:

Are you ready to come over to the dark side and join in my (completely unsupported by evidence) suspicion that the Trump Administration knew about this ahead of time? Let's blame John Bolton.

Seems like everyone knew the Saudis were targeting him.

Not sure why the Saudis would tell us he was going to be kidnapped in an embassy though.  I think they just got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That entire area is a trashpile, except maybe the Kurds. We all know that the Yemeni are pawns between Iran and Saudi Arabia being killed by either guns, bombs or starvation right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

If it were Iran we'd be in the middle of nuking the entire country into a sheet of glass,

Or dropping off a few pallets of cash. 

It's a coin flip, really 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   1 member