What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Khashoggi - Journalist Killed in Saudi Consulate (1 Viewer)

The silver lining here is all the titans of industry that helped MBS along during his PR world tour here in the States and Thomas Friedman with his “Saudi reformer” puff pieces plastered all over the New York Times- after their work humanizing the Saudi regime- getting exposed for the total frauds they are.  

This is a big deal.  And it’s going to expose a lot of duplicity in Washington.

The silver lining here is all the titans of industry that helped MBS along during his PR world tour here in the States and Thomas Friedman with his “Saudi reformer” puff pieces plastered all over the New York Times- after their work humanizing the Saudi regime- getting exposed for the total frauds they are.  

This is a big deal.  And it’s going to expose a lot of duplicity in Washington.
Exposed by whom?  The people who think the Saudis were suddenly not human rights abusers are watching Fox News.

Disappointing that the argument for not cutting all ties with this murderous regime is that we need their oil and we need to keep selling them arms so that they can continue to bomb children in Yemen.  Bring on the higher oil prices.

If we do nothing about this, or even send a weak response, then I fear our elected officials are not much better than them.
Pretty sure we dont want the whole "Islamic State" thing to happen.  

The point is for you to imagine what the response would look like if an Official Bad Guy did it, and what it is now.  
If it were Iran we'd be in the middle of nuking the entire country into a sheet of glass, if it were Russia we'd be doing exactly what we're doing now. 

If it were Iran we'd be in the middle of nuking the entire country into a sheet of glass, if it were Russia we'd be doing exactly what we're doing now. 
Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  

Agreed on Iran.  Though I think it would lead to harder sanctions against Russia.  In any event, I think the media has been pretty subdued on this, and would be having an absolute field day if it were the wrong country.  
It would lead to harsher sanctions by Congress that would never be implemented by the administration against Russia.

Also, it's on the front page of all the major news sites.  It just so happens the strongest hurricane to make landfall in the US in a quarter century was yesterday, we're in the middle of midterms, and the Dow Jones lost all gains from two and a half months in the last eight days.  I agree it should be a bigger story, but I'm not sure it would be even if ISIS had put out a video of helping SA do it.

It is being covered pretty extensively in the news I read, as the shady connections between the administration and the current Saudi leadership. It is almost like covering all of Trump's corruption, shady dealings, and likely crimes is hard to do

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard at least a half dozen stories on him today.  No idea how anyone would get the idea this is being whitewashed.

Well, actually that's not true now that I think about it.

My rudimentary understanding is that this was an rendition plot gone bad - with the drugs supposed to sedate Khashoggi, instead killing him.

If that were the case, I could see someone in the Trump administration either signing off on that plan, or at least promising to look the other way.  

It does appear that this has been nothing but keystone kops since it went down though.  Saudi's look bad - not just for the killing, but also for the cover-up.  We look bad, by allowing the Saudi's to cover it up - we are almost complicit in this by "demanding" that the Saudi's cooperate with the investigation, when it seems that everyone who needs to know what happened already knows what happened.

But, if we do nothing here - then what do we stand for as a nation?  Money is more important than human rights?  Sad.
Same as it's ever been, but never highlighted like it is under the current administration. 

Now word is that Turkey has not only audio, but video evidence of the incident. I'm sure SA is thrilled that their embassy has been compromised. 

The watch itself can't, but there are wrist straps you can get for it that have a camera in them.
Considering how quickly they were willing to share that they had video and audio, the source had to be somebody not associated with the Turkish govt right?

Considering how quickly they were willing to share that they had video and audio, the source had to be somebody not associated with the Turkish govt right?
No idea.  I think Turkey's got a strong goal of prying us away from Saudi Arabia, and they'd be willing to use this to do it.  Turkey backs Qatar and we back Saudi Arabia - it's probably why Turkey released Andrew Brunson today, make it a big week of "Turkey's got your back."

Last edited by a moderator:
The original report said Turkish officials hesitated to release the recordings out of fear it would compromise their intelligence methods.  At that point, I think they were just being described.  It’s possible they still are.

No idea.  I think Turkey's got a strong goal of prying us away from Saudi Arabia, and they'd be willing to use this to do it.  Turkey backs Qatar and we back Saudi Arabia - it's probably why Turkey released Andrew Brunson today, make it a big week of "Turkey's got your back."
exactly what I thought when I saw the Brunson headline

I know that when I'm taking out a 59 year old journalist, I send in 15 of my heaviest hitters. 
Apparently he was interrogated, chopped up, and disposed of.  Doing that efficiently and cleanly would probably take a decent sized team.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a journalist though.  They must have really disliked this guy.

Are you ready to come over to the dark side and join in my (completely unsupported by evidence) suspicion that the Trump Administration knew about this ahead of time? Let's blame John Bolton.
Seems like everyone knew the Saudis were targeting him.

Not sure why the Saudis would tell us he was going to be kidnapped in an embassy though.  I think they just got lucky.

That entire area is a trashpile, except maybe the Kurds. We all know that the Yemeni are pawns between Iran and Saudi Arabia being killed by either guns, bombs or starvation right?

SO what has been the standard response to this type of action?

If you are a Trump supporter, does no action concern you considering his business conflicts?

jonessed said:
I think they just got lucky.
Care to unpack this one?

Lucky how?

Lucky that they happened to send over a 15-member hit squad at the same day Khashoggi was scheduled to be in Turkey to pick up documents from the Saudi embassy?  That's some really good luck...unless you are Khashoggi, in which case its incredibly bad luck.

Users who are viewing this thread