What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamal Khashoggi - Journalist Killed in Saudi Consulate (3 Viewers)

Yeah, I was responding to your statement that it can't be compressed easily to be volumetrically efficient at present.
No, unfortunately not.  Batteries and hydrogen storage systems are nowhere close to gasoline in volumetric energy capacity (at present).

What bugs me the most about this whole deal is we are forced to believe the Erdogan government.
Yeah they're pretty slimy all right.  Their supposed indignation over this matter is laughable.  Like they really give a damn about what happened to this guy. 

I can't seem to find anything about new developments to this story on page 1 of Fox News. Lot's of other conspiracy stories though... :rolleyes:

you know what's going to happen....the King is going to point the finger at the head of intelligence and blame it on him..."he went rogue"...laughable.

Journalist disappears inside a building, Turkey claims to have audio of him being murdered by the people inside the building: It's only been two and a half weeks of investigation by the people who were in the building with him, give it some time!

Kavanaugh 35-year-old attempted rape investigation: Three days of FBI investigation and ten interviews without talking to the two people involved is enough!  It's time to vote!

Looks like we have almost settled on a story.

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING: Trump says it 'certainly looks' like Saudi writer is dead, pledges 'severe' consequences if Saudi royals are responsible.

So, let's say SA upper echelon is guilty of ordering this (honestly it looks pretty likely).  What should be done to SA?  
Nothing will be done. You know this. Doesn't matter who the president is either. This one will not even bother with hding behind some sort of fig leaf, though

Last edited by a moderator:
No, unfortunately not.  Batteries and hydrogen storage systems are nowhere close to gasoline in volumetric energy capacity (at present).
If I understand you correclty then you are saying that the current mass hydrogen powered cars don't have the tank capacity to drive as long as their gasoline powered twins?

Because it's not actually that far off (there are other issues with that tech, not least price and fuel station availability) - e.g. the Hyunday ix35 drives up to 600 kms on a tank (372 miles) - which is about 25% lower than these suvs (don't know if the sizes are an exact match, though)

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 3m3 minutes ago

More

"This one has caught the imagination of the world, unfortunately," Trump said to reporters from NYT about Khashoggi. "It's not a positive. Not a positive."

If I understand you correclty then you are saying that the current mass hydrogen powered cars don't have the tank capacity to drive as long as their gasoline powered twins?

Because it's not actually that far off (there are other issues with that tech, not least price and fuel station availability) - e.g. the Hyunday ix35 drives up to 600 kms on a tank (372 miles) - which is about 25% lower than these suvs (don't know if the sizes are an exact match, though)
Maybe it's that the tank has to be larger/there have to be two tanks?  That would cut into other space.

Honestly there is a lot of outrage in this thread over the situation (appears to be justified - if all this is true the dude died horribly).  I'd love to hear what a liberal base would do here.  I agree there isn't a great answer.  Nor is there a good answer to what to do to China for interning 1M Uighurs.  
Well no one is doing anything about the US/Saudi killing tens of thousands of innocent people in Yemen so I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen in this case either.

Chris Hayes‏Verified account @chrislhayes

There is something so chilling and authoritarian about Pompeo continuing to refer to Khashoggi’s “disappearance.” We know he was murdered. Pompeo knows he was murdered. The Saudis know he was murdered (because they murdered him.) “Disappearance” sounds Stalinist in this context.

10:53 AM - 18 Oct 2018
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has heard an alleged audio recording of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi's murder inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, according to a senior Turkish official.

Speaking exclusively and on condition of anonymity to ABC News, the official claimed the recording was played in meetings in Turkey on Wednesday, and that Pompeo was given a transcript of the recordings.

Separately, ABC News has also learned that Turkish officials believe that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate following a struggle that lasted eight minutes and that they believe he died of strangulation.

The White House referred questions to the State Department which denied Pompeo had heard the recording.

"The secretary addressed this yesterday. He has not heard a tape," his spokeswoman Heather Nauert told ABC News in an email.

Asked about receiving a transcript of the recording, Nauert told ABC News: "I don't have anything on that."

Yesterday, on his way back from Istanbul, Pompeo was asked if he had heard the audio.

"I don’t have anything to say about that," he said.

President Trump has been publicly asking to hear the recording. Pompeo met with the president at the White House on Thursday morning to brief him on his visit to Turkey and Saudi Arabia, where he met with Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman.

It is unknown whether Pompeo shared the transcript with the president, but soon after the meeting the president changed his tune.

While earlier in the week the president questioned whether the audio recording existed and cautioned against blaming Saudi Arabia for Khashoggi’s disappearance, on Thursday afternoon his administration abruptly canceled a visit to Saudi Arabia by Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin to attend a large investment conference hosted by the Crown Prince, whom Turkish officials have reportedly claimed was behind Khashoggi's killing.

Later in the day, Trump told reporters that "it certainly looks like" Khashoggi was dead.

Looks like we have almost settled on a story.

The Associated Press‏Verified account @AP 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING: Trump says it 'certainly looks' like Saudi writer is dead, pledges 'severe' consequences if Saudi royals are responsible.
According to Saudi Intelligence the deed was carried out by Robert Mueller.  Russian Intelligence seems to confirm this.  Trump is looking into extraditing him as I type.

You are too charitable to someone who routinely calls media "the enemy of the people" and has retweeted depiction of violence against them.  I wouldn't bet against his primary reaction being jealousy
I take Trump seriously in a lot of areas (most of which I disapprove of) but the "enemy of the people" stuff is just political crap.  Would he restrict them if he could? Sure, he's an authoritarian from way back.

But he also worships at their feet.  He absolutely craves their love and adoration, starting with the New York Times.  It's really funny to me; Trump gets compared to Nixon, and his rhetoric against the press is far worse than Nixon.  But Nixon truly HATED the media. Nixon wouldn't have minded if the NYT and Washington Post had blown up.  With Trump on the other hand, it's a lot of show because he knows his base.  But he can't help his worship either. 
Trump, speaking at a rally in Montana, said Rep. Greg Gianforte, who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter who asked him a question, was a good guy. 

"Greg is smart and, by the way, never wrestle him," the president said, motioning as though he was slamming someone to the ground. "Any guy that can do a body slam — he's my guy."

He added Gianforte was a "great guy" and a "tough cookie." 

From Reuters - MORE: Saudi Arabia says a fight broke out between Khashoggi and people who met him in the consulate and led to his death

:lmao:

Yup - thats as stupid of an excuse as I thought it'd be.

"Discussions that occurred between the reporter Jamal Khashoggi and the people that were questioning him while he was in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul led to an argument and fighting with hands which led to his death."

--

Sure. Totally reasonable.

From Reuters - MORE: Saudi Arabia says a fight broke out between Khashoggi and people who met him in the consulate and led to his death

Sucks when you get in a quarrel and end up chopped up into pieces. Now that's having a bad day.

This reminds me, years ago, of the Libyan colonel who committed suicide by shooting himself in the back of the head. 

"Discussions that occurred between the reporter Jamal Khashoggi and the people that were questioning him while he was in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul led to an argument and fighting with hands which led to his death."

--

From Popehat (who wrote it better than I did) - 

Some stories/excuses/explanations/covers are of the smirking "#### you, we don't have to offer a plausible excuse" variety. The Saudis have offered one; the administration will offer another to accept it.

--

He got into a fight with 15 of the top intelligence agents in Saudi Arabia that were flown down in a private jet, It then  took a week to investigate.  Additionally,   it’s our tradition to chop you up in pieces if you lose the fight.  We won’t be making any more comments on the matter and investigation is closed. 

This is seriously a worse story and press roll out than the Trump tower meetings.  

This is will be the dems Benghazi if they take the house. 

The old "killed while trying to escape" routine.

Hey, pretty convenient that they remembered the bone saw, right?

I mean fighting once your fingers have been removed by a bone saw seems totally believable...just a total farce and Kushner is covering for these monsters.

Must have been pretty spry for a ~60 year old journalist taking on 15 Saudi special agents and could only be subdued by dismembering him.

I mean fighting once your fingers have been removed by a bone saw seems totally believable...just a total farce and Kushner is covering for these monsters.
Definitely a farce. Not a laughing matter, but one of my first thoughts was that their story is basically this

His 900 million bldg on 5th ave would likely be in default if not for them. 
I used to work in that building. I know that's not relevant to anything, but when I heard they bought it for $2bn or whatever and now its a huge problem - well, it was just interesting. And funny.

Rudy used to go to the cigar bar at the top all the time. And the 21 Club was basically in the basement. Which Trump loved.

Users who are viewing this thread