What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How likely would you be to take up a Vegetarian Diet in 2019?  (1 Viewer)

How likely would you be to take up a Vegetarian Diet in 2019? 

• 100% - I already am a Vegetarian

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • 75% chance I take up a Vegetarian Diet

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 50% chance I take up a Vegetarian Diet

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 25% chance I take up a Vegetarian Diet

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • 0% chance I take up a Vegetarian Diet

Votes: 175 85.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The PETA thread had me thinking about eating a Vegetarian diet. 

For sake of discussion, I'm defining Vegetarian as refraining from eating Meat and Fish. Eggs and Dairy are ok in this definition. This article calls that a "Lacto - Ovo" Vegetarian.

Lacto-ovo vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid all animal flesh, but do consume dairy and egg products.

Lacto vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid animal flesh and eggs, but do consume dairy products.

Ovo vegetarians: Vegetarians who avoid all animal products except eggs.

Vegans: Vegetarians who avoid all animal and animal-derived products.

My question is how likely would you be to take up a Vegetarian Diet in 2019? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a niece that is full on vegan; she likes her lifestyle and is going on 10 or so years with it so good for her but I will never go that far. 

I personally think that it is very difficult to maintain a healthy diet with out any meat.  The proteins in meat are pretty important for your body to build and maintain muscle.  In addition I don't see any moral dilemma with eating meat, so I haven't really given it much consideration.

I think the majority of people in the US would benefit more from cutting sugar from their diets.

in 2018 I ate chicken about a dozen times (and turkey once) after spending the last 15+ years as a vegetarian.  I am not sure if it is going to stick, so I voted 75% chance for 2019. 

I would have to learn a whole new way of cooking or my diet would be quite limited.  I have actually thought about this for health reason after living my life as an unrepentant carnivore for 6 decades.

Was one for 10 years after a really bad bout of food poisoning from a Wendy’s chicken sandwich in N. Platte, NE.  Protein replacement was tough for me and I ate a lot of garbage which did not help either.  I still eat a lot of vegetarian food, but not all the time.  

Been “mostly vegan” for 5+ years now.  We do have the occasional something that contains egg or milk but try to avoid it if we can.   On certain occasions (business dinners) I’ll nibble on fish, but that’s maybe 2 times a year.

I’ll never go back to eating meat.

The PETA thread had me thinking about eating a Vegetarian diet. 

For sake of discussion, I'm defining Vegetarian as refraining from eating Meat and Fish. Eggs and Dairy are ok in this definition. This article calls that a "Lacto - Ovo" Vegetarian.

My question is how likely would you be to take up a Vegetarian Diet in 2019? 
Right now I eat red meat maybe 10 times a year and that is mostly when I am out.  I will grill steaks 1-2 times a year. Still eat quite a bit of chicken breast and fish. I use a good protein powder 1-2 times a day after my workouts to keep my protein intake up.

Since Dearborn MI is the Lebanon of the USA I have been turned on to many really good veggie dishes and have been incorporating more lentils, quinoa and tomato based sauces. Red Lentil, jalapeno, onion stuffed cabbage is one of my favorites. Veggie grapes leaves too.  Middle Eastern food incorporates so many spices that all their veggie dishes are pleasing to the taste.   

Right now I eat red meat maybe 10 times a year and that is mostly when I am out.  I will grill steaks 1-2 times a year. Still eat quite a bit of chicken breast and fish. I use a good protein powder 1-2 times a day after my workouts to keep my protein intake up.

Since Dearborn MI is the Lebanon of the USA I have been turned on to many really good veggie dishes and have been incorporating more lentils, quinoa and tomato based sauces. Red Lentil, jalapeno, onion stuffed cabbage is one of my favorites. Veggie grapes leaves too.  Middle Eastern food incorporates so many spices that all their veggie dishes are pleasing to the taste.   
So, maybe I should take a few starter cooking classes to learn some basic dishes and techniques, and then maybe a half dozen featuring Asian dishes and another half dozen featuring Middle Eastern food.  Maybe if I could cook the diet would not seem so limited.   

I would miss my grill and smoker.

So, maybe I should take a few starter cooking classes to learn some basic dishes and techniques, and then maybe a half dozen featuring Asian dishes and another half dozen featuring Middle Eastern food.  Maybe if I could cook the diet would not seem so limited.   

I would miss my grill and smoker.
It is not going to replace a smoked brisket but it can be satisfying.

very, very little chance. 

we don't eat mammal in our household- no red meat. that was toughish to do for me after we got married, but I wasn't a big red meat eater before... burgers, pork with ethnic food and occasional pork-chop or lamb-chop, and of course bacon. 

we eat fish and fowl- and that would be brutal for me to give up. but I appreciate and respect the concept- and have always thought about doing it. just couldn't give up the flavors, protein, texture of the real thing.

I cut back on red meat a few years ago. I cut back even more on poultry this year. More fish, beans, etc. So far this week, I haven't had meat yet. 

- I have eaten eggs though and will continue to

I've curtailed my intake of meat but I can't live without it.  I've been implementing a diet where I go without meat for most of the day.   Definitely feel better and lighter but it's a must with dinner.  I tend to supplement the lack of protein with eggs, protein powders, nuts, tofu and greek yogurt.   I think bread and simple carbs are the real enemy, not meat.  

I voted 0% chance because I might eat meat products a few times a week, but the rest of my meals and snacks are vegan. I love meat, but I love living a healthy disease/medicine-free life much more.

I love all types of curries and sauces over rice. I should buy more couscous too cuz I love that stuff so much, especial the large Israeli couscous. 🍛

Thanks Folks. Good discussion. For those that have gone to a Vegetarian diet or have limited animal products, can you tell us more?

Why? Your health or more of a moral thing with killing animals?

Benefits?

Negatives?

That kind of stuff. 

Only reason I would even consider it is because my cholesterol is a little high. No other incentive.

There is a beat write/photographer that follows the Panthers... he ended up in the hospital a few years ago and switched to a plant based diet afterwards with great success in positive health impacts. Literally the only reason I would consider it.

Otherwise... mmmm.... tasty, tasty meat.

A lot of the vegetarian processed food (protein replacement) is horrible for you too. And a look at our csa box in December proves how hard it is to eat fresh produce during winter in the US. And steak is so good!  So it’s a no for me. 

I bet I can't name 30% of the produce in my store on sight.  Education would be a ground up thing for me.

It would no doubt significantly improve my overall health and help me attain my weight loss goals. Still not likely I could do it. Voted 25%. 

I bet I can't name 30% of the produce in my store on site.  Education would be a ground up thing for me.
Oh man. My wife sends me to the store with a shopping list sometimes, and I get to the produce aisle and I’m like “which one’s scallions??”  Plus they all have like several alternative names. And don’t get me started on parsley vs sage vs etc etc. 

Thanks Folks. Good discussion. For those that have gone to a Vegetarian diet or have limited animal products, can you tell us more?

Benefits?

Negatives?

That kind of stuff. 
I have been meat free and mostly vegan since  early October. It's partially a "moral" thing and it's partially a "health" thing. I do it for me, and would never preach to anyone else in order to persuade them, but after watching a few documentaries and reading some articles, participating in the practice was just no longer for me.

If I have no other choice - like say out at a dinner for work with no vegan/vegetarian menu options - I will likely order a seafood option. So far that has not come up yet, as my only business lunch I had gnocchi in a pesto sauce. I'll try never to be too fanatical about it, and will have to "give in" from time to time if there are no other options or if it will make others feel uncomfortable (i.e. dinner parties).

Perhaps it's been partially psychological, but I have felt much healthier and even feel like I'm sleeping better. I eat a lot of vegetables, salads, fruits, cereals, beans, legumes, rice, quinoa, hummus etc. I enjoy it. It has not been terribly difficult.

The negatives? The options eating out are limited and of course I miss certain meats from time to time. 

Benefits?

Negatives?

That kind of stuff. 
For us it started out as strictly a healthy way to live.  We never thought we would go all in like we did.  My family as an awful health history.  Both my parents and their siblings all had heart issues, high cholesterol and high blood pressure relatively early in life (50 and 60's) and still do.   Cancer is prevalent on my wifes side of the family.  

5 years or so ago my wife took a job as a nurse practitioner at a womens oncology clinic.  One of the Doctors there started pushing a plant based diet for some of his patients and she took an interest.  She saw some great results too.  

We decided to just give it a try and see what going plant based would be like, but we never had any intentions of doing it full time.  We enjoyed it.  Naturally, I started reading articles about everything.  Kind of went down a rabbit hole of books, articles and documentaries.  After that, going back was never really an option.   Thats when the moral issue started to become a real thing (I never thought it would).    Concern for animals was never on my radar, even in the least bit.   I think factory animal farming is going to be one of those things we look back in 20 years and we'll wonder what the hell we were thinking.   The environmental issues alone should be enough to make people at least consider going vegan/vegetarian. 

Benefits, I think its cheaper...most people don't think it is, but replace your meat groceries with beans and grains and iIt goes down.  My cholesterol is nothing.  On paper, I'm about as healthy as it gets.   

Negatives, traveling is a #####.  Some cities have plenty of options, but if I'm on the road I'm eating a plain baked potato from Wendys or a Veggie Delight at Subway.  Theres just no good way around it.   Hanging out around a grill has turned into hanging out around a wok trying to piece together a Thai curry recipe.  Its fun, but just not the norm, at least here in Mississippi.   Family thinks we're crazy too, but we can deal with them. 

Oh man. My wife sends me to the store with a shopping list sometimes, and I get to the produce aisle and I’m like “which one’s scallions??”  Plus they all have like several alternative names. And don’t get me started on parsley vs sage vs etc etc. 
I could currently starve to death with a fridge packed full of okra, bok choy, ruttabagas, parsnips, turnips, chard, kale and squash.  I would have no idea what to do with them other than to use them as projectiles. 

Quinoa, I don't even know what that is.

Quinoa is a flowering plant in the amaranth family. It is a herbaceous annual plant grown as a grain crop primarily for its edible seeds. Quinoa is not a grass, but rather a pseudocereal botanically related to spinach and amaranth.

Quinoa provides protein, dietary fiber, B vitamins, and dietary minerals in rich amounts above those of wheat, corn, rice, or oats.
Very easy to prepare (boil in water and then simmer for 10 minutes). I wouldn't say it tastes good, but it doesn't taste bad either (think rice) but vital to a plant based diet as it's high in protein and iron. 

I would like to. If I were a better man, I would. 

Alas, I sadly am not. I will likely have a steak at some point in Vegas this weekend. 

I voted 0%, but it’s more like 5%, so I rounded down. I know it would be a good idea and I have an open mind, but I would either need a major health scare or a new vegetarian girlfriend to be the catalyst. Until then I’m going to keep doing stupid things like getting drunk and ordering fried chicken at 2 am, and rely on running 20+ miles a week to balance out the damage.

Very easy to prepare (boil in water and then simmer for 10 minutes). I wouldn't say it tastes good, but it doesn't taste bad either (think rice) but vital to a plant based diet as it's high in protein and iron. 
I make it a rule to always follow advice given by cephalopods, and what with you being a Dr. on top of that, well I will have to give this a try. 

As to portions and preparation, does it weigh out and cook out like rice.  Say a 1/2 to 2/3 cup serving size dry and that boiled into the same amount of water, just like rice, or is it different.

Has some food conglomerate come up with Minutequinoa yet.  You know, a product made from quinoa but with all the nutritional value washed out of it so that it preps up in a fraction of the time.

I make it a rule to always follow advice given by cephalopods, and what with you being a Dr. on top of that, well I will have to give this a try. 

As to portions and preparation, does it weigh out and cook out like rice.  Say a 1/2 to 2/3 cup serving size dry and that boiled into the same amount of water, just like rice, or is it different.
Yes, pretty much. I will make a cup (about two servings) at a time with a cup and a half of water added.

If our ancestors weren't carnivores, none of us would be here today. We are what we are. Vegetarians are just in denial, and I sing that popular 80's song to them:

"Don't you want meat, baby.... Don't you want meat, oooohhhh"  :whistle:

I personally think that it is very difficult to maintain a healthy diet with out any meat.  The proteins in meat are pretty important for your body to build and maintain muscle.  In addition I don't see any moral dilemma with eating meat, so I haven't really given it much consideration.

I think the majority of people in the US would benefit more from cutting sugar from their diets.
No moral dilemma for me with eating meat, and I understand the historical significance of animal husbandry, etc. But I absolutely do have a "problem" with the way we treat the majority of livestock in this country. The factory farm system is morally abhorrent, I don't see how anyone can even argue that anymore. 

I've cut back my meat consumption drastically over the past few years. I try to limit it to special occasions and I try to get the meat from people who treat the animals well before they kill them. I've eliminated dairy for digestive reasons and only get eggs from the farmer's market. I'm not perfect, but I do feel much better about it now. 

No moral dilemma for me with eating meat, and I understand the historical significance of animal husbandry, etc. But I absolutely do have a "problem" with the way we treat the majority of livestock in this country. The factory farm system is morally abhorrent, I don't see how anyone can even argue that anymore. 

I've cut back my meat consumption drastically over the past few years. I try to limit it to special occasions and I try to get the meat from people who treat the animals well before they kill them. I've eliminated dairy for digestive reasons and only get eggs from the farmer's market. I'm not perfect, but I do feel much better about it now. 
So the fact they we are shortening the life span  of these animals by 7-17 years is fine  as long as they are treated ok for the 6months - 3 years before they are murdered?

I'm legitimately asking.   I don't understand the concern for these animals treatments if we are shortening their actual life expectancy by a decade.  

Quinoa, I don't even know what that is.

It's one of those dishes referenced above that pairs well with a lot of spice.   It's good for you and can be very good depending on how it's prepared.   It's a lot like rice in that by itself it's pretty forgettable but with the right seasoning it can be amazing.  

I could cut out red meat very easily if I wanted to -- right now its 8 or 10 times a year tops.  

But I eat enough chicken and eggs to make the executioner at Perdue farms a little sad.  

So the fact they we are shortening the life span  of these animals by 7-17 years is fine  as long as they are treated ok for the 6months - 3 years before they are murdered?

I'm legitimately asking.   I don't understand the concern for these animals treatments if we are shortening their actual life expectancy by a decade.  
 Yes, I understand we have to kill them to harvest the meat, and that is obviously not a "natural" death. The actual slaughter isn't immoral (in my opinion, I know others disagree) and I don't have any issues with that. I think we are obligated to give them something resembling a natural life and to treat them well, despite the fact that we are only raising them to kill them. It makes them healthier to consume too. 

There are much smarter and more educated people than me that have written about this (here on this board and elsewhere) that could probably provide you with a much better answer, but that is as best as I can put it. 

Users who are viewing this thread