What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**** OFFICIAL Marvel's Avengers: Endgame **** SPOILERS ALLOWED! Enter at your own risk!!! (1 Viewer)

I think I've settled on my plan of attack. Five movies is really more time than I want to spend on the Marvel series, but I don't think I can pare my list down any further than this.

1. Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
3. Captain America: Civil War (2016)
4. Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
5. Avengers: Endgame (2019)

I know, I know -- I should include Winter Soldier. But what would I leave off to make room for it?

I think I've settled on my plan of attack. Five movies is really more time than I want to spend on the Marvel series, but I don't think I can pare my list down any further than this.

I know, I know -- I should include Winter Soldier. But what would I leave off to make room for it?
Looks good to me, you might miss a few references/details that were covered in the solo movies... but you can follow most of it.  Maybe read up on SHIELD if you haven't already.

So hard. Would love to see you throw the original Captain, Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron on there. But if you’re only doing 5 hard to argue. 

For pure quality, winter soldier is better than civil war or the original avengers. 

But it's pretty much a toss up. Maybe watch 6?

The downside of only watching 5 is that you may not understand this reference

-OZ- said:
For pure quality, winter soldier is better than civil war or the original avengers. 
Would you say this is a close call?

I realize it's kind of subjective. But based on the average ratings by critics at RottenTomatoes and MetaCritic, as well as the average ratings by audiences at RottenTomatoes, MetaCritic, Amazon, and IMDB, it seems like Winter Soldier and Civil War are really neck-and-neck (very slight edge to Winter Soldier), with the original Avengers outscoring them both by most accounts.

IMO, Winter Soldier is, in a vacuum, the best Marvel movie.

Its notthe most important to the grand scheme (as the Thanos/Infinity Stones story line obviously overshadows the SHIELD/Hyda conflict) but its an EXCELLENT movie.  Tremendous action, character development and plot that makes sense, well acted (not saying its Citizen Kane or anything, but for a block buster main stream movie).

You're doing yourself a major disservice if you skip it.  Civil War is important because it sets the tone for the Avengers coming back together for IW/EG, but Winter Solider is the better film.

I still dont get the whole "I can't be bothered to invest my time watching all the movies" stance,  (Is your life REALLY that busy in the time of Corona that you can't watch even 10 movies? Its not like they're going in the Disney Vault on October 1st. They'll be around forever)  but Winter Solider is a must-watch regardless.

Nick Vermeil said:
So hard. Would love to see you throw the original Captain, Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron on there. But if you’re only doing 5 hard to argue. 
Original Captain and Winter Soldier both really solid.

How do you skip the Iron Man movies though?  At least the first one?

But if you have to limit to 5, I like the 5 you’ve picked. Maybe you circle back and watch these others if you’ve enjoyed. 

I realize it's kind of subjective. But based on the average ratings by critics at RottenTomatoes and MetaCritic, as well as the average ratings by audiences at RottenTomatoes, MetaCritic, Amazon, and IMDB, it seems like Winter Soldier and Civil War are really neck-and-neck (very slight edge to Winter Soldier), with the original Avengers outscoring them both by most accounts.
make it 6 movies,  both are great

IMO, Winter Soldier is, in a vacuum, the best Marvel movie.

Its notthe most important to the grand scheme (as the Thanos/Infinity Stones story line obviously overshadows the SHIELD/Hyda conflict) but its an EXCELLENT movie.  Tremendous action, character development and plot that makes sense, well acted (not saying its Citizen Kane or anything, but for a block buster main stream movie).

You're doing yourself a major disservice if you skip it.  Civil War is important because it sets the tone for the Avengers coming back together for IW/EG, but Winter Solider is the better film.

I still dont get the whole "I can't be bothered to invest my time watching all the movies" stance,  (Is your life REALLY that busy in the time of Corona that you can't watch even 10 movies? Its not like they're going in the Disney Vault on October 1st. They'll be around forever)  but Winter Solider is a must-watch regardless.
Thanks. I'll consider making it six.

I've been using the covid-19 quarantine to get into watching movies more. It's not that I don't have time to eventually watch 10 movies. But of the next 50 movies I watch, I don't want anywhere near 20% of them to be comic-book superhero movies. I've never really been into them. I consider The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises to be two of the most overrated movies I've seen, for example. But I figured I'd give the genre another chance with Avengers: Endgame because it's gotten so many great reviews. I'm trying to minimize the amount of homework I have to do leading up to it, however, because ... I've got a lot of movies to watch!

I've never seen Casablanca. I've never seen Vertigo or Chinatown or Citizen Kane or Some Like It Hot or Taxi Driver or Annie Hall. I've never seen anything from Studio Ghibli. I've never seen anything by Wes Anderson. I'd like to see SpotlightCall Me By Your NamePortrait of a Lady on Fire, InceptionThe FarewellInterstellar, Dunkirk, Creed II, and about a zillion more.

Even if I wanted to watch more comic-book superhero movies, I should possibly give some consideration to Wonder Woman or Shazam! or Logan or something instead of just the MCU stuff.

I'm not just being an "I'm too good for movies, I only read books" snob. But I also have no intention of being an "I don't watch regular movies, I'm only into Marvel" nerd. ;)

I've been using the covid-19 quarantine to get into watching movies more. It's not that I don't have time to eventually watch 10 movies. But of the next 50 movies I watch, I don't want anywhere near 20% of them to be comic-book superhero movies. I've never really been into them. I consider The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises to be two of the most overrated movies I've seen, for example. But I figured I'd give the genre another chance with Avengers: Endgame because it's gotten so many great reviews. I'm trying to minimize the amount of homework I have to do leading up to it, however, because ... I've got a lot of movies to watch!

I've never seen Casablanca. I've never seen Vertigo or Chinatown or Citizen Kane or Some Like It Hot or Taxi Driver or Annie Hall. I've never seen anything from Studio Ghibli. I've never seen anything by Wes Anderson. I'd like to see SpotlightCall Me By Your NamePortrait of a Lady on Fire, InceptionThe FarewellInterstellar, Dunkirk, Creed II, and about a zillion more.

Even if I wanted to watch more comic-book superhero movies, I should possibly give some consideration to Wonder Woman or Shazam! or Logan or something instead of just the MCU stuff.

I'm not just being an "I'm too good for movies, I only read books" snob. But I also have no intention of being an "I don't watch regular movies, I'm only into Marvel" nerd. ;)
Winter Soldier is not that much better than Civil War.    

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about Interstellar.   I think you're wasting (a lot of) your time on that one.

It's definitely a close call.

I wouldn't add Shazam to the list, but WW is solid, and Logan is pretty good. I'd watch most MCU movies over either. 

The dark Knight rises is overrated.

Forget adding a 6th and watch Casablanca twice - it’s that good.

Thor ragnarock

Winter Soldier is a better movie and also sets the foundation for Civil War.  Civil War brings in some other characters that you wouldn't otherwise understand why they suddenly showed up.  If it were me, I'd drop Civil War in favor of Winter Soldier.

Okay, you guys have convinced me to go with six.

1. The Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
3. Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Civil War
5. Infinity War
6. Endgame
Great!  Now listen, this is critical.  You need to binge the first 16 episodes of Season 1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. series.  Begin watching AFTER Avengers but BEFORE Winter Soldier. Then watch Winter Soldier, then resume Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Episode 17.  That was so awesome.

Wait, this is not in the spirit of what you are trying to accomplish, is it?

Never mind, just watch Casablanca 8 times instead ;)

I think the 6 you picked are a good representation!  Logan was really powerful, I enjoyed it a lot.  Shazam is a ton of fun (kind of a superhero version of Big).  Wonder Woman is the best of the DCEU movies.

Casablanca was good, but you've heard so much of it in pop culture (or you will see where they stole stuff from) I think it may not have as big an impact as you might expect.

Chinatown was good, as was Taxi Driver.  I think they hold up a little better than Casablanca (I know, blasphemy).

Wasn't impressed by Annie Hall at all but I really can't think of a single Woody Allen movie I like so that is probably personal bias.

Of the Nolan movies, loved Inception, thought Interstellar was meh, and Dunkirk was really good about a topic I wasn't super familiar with.

Both Creed movies are entertaining.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. The Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
4. Civil War
5. Infinity War
6. Endgame
so dissapointed you gave in.  Next they are going to convince you to watch Thor: Ragnarok since it feeds into IW and Black Panther for background on the country and characters before IW.

Oh and don't forget to watch the post credit scene in Captain Marvel before watching Endgame!

Ah heck, just commit to the 50 or so hours needed to watch all of them, Iron Man to Spider-Man.......

Of the DC movies you listed, Logan was really powerful, I enjoyed it a lot.
<nerd>Ummm...so Logan is actually a Marvel character, not DC.  Altho the DC character Lobo has certain Logan characteristics that were derived when DC wanted to create a Logan-esque character in their storylines.  To differentiate it more, Lobo is an intergalactic bounty hunter with healing abilities, smokes cigars and a weird haircut.  So ya, let's not get Logan confused with the DC universe.  Also, Logan is not in the MCU, as mutants have not yet been discussed due to the ongoing ownership/rights feud between Disney and Fox, which was just resolved last year.  Thus Logan will eventually make his way to the MCU, but not as the one you saw in the movie you critiqued. </nerd>

:nerd:

FWIW pretty much everyone thought The Dark Knight Rises sucked.

Yeah, Dark Knight Rises was incredibly mediocre compared to its predecessor. Bane's origin story was cool but the rest of it....meh.

Pretty much all the DC movies are unwatchable. If Gal Gadot wasn't so unbelievably gorgeous, I wouldn't have bothered to watch WW either. She's so good looking that it honestly distracts from the plot (which is kinda crappy once you un-hypnotize yourself from Gadot's absurdly sexy accent)

Peak said:
<nerd>Ummm...so Logan is actually a Marvel character, not DC.  Altho the DC character Lobo has certain Logan characteristics that were derived when DC wanted to create a Logan-esque character in their storylines.  To differentiate it more, Lobo is an intergalactic bounty hunter with healing abilities, smokes cigars and a weird haircut.  So ya, let's not get Logan confused with the DC universe.  Also, Logan is not in the MCU, as mutants have not yet been discussed due to the ongoing ownership/rights feud between Disney and Fox, which was just resolved last year.  Thus Logan will eventually make his way to the MCU, but not as the one you saw in the movie you critiqued. </nerd>

:nerd:
Ha, you are right, was typing too quickly.

TLEF316 said:
Yeah, Dark Knight Rises was incredibly mediocre compared to its predecessor. Bane's origin story was cool but the rest of it....meh.

Pretty much all the DC movies are unwatchable. If Gal Gadot wasn't so unbelievably gorgeous, I wouldn't have bothered to watch WW either. She's so good looking that it honestly distracts from the plot (which is kinda crappy once you un-hypnotize yourself from Gadot's absurdly sexy accent)
Shazam was good, of course it is not in their universe.  Wonder Woman was pretty good, best in their series, and I thought Aquaman was pretty OK.  The rest have been pretty bad to awful.

Shazam was good, of course it is not in their universe.  Wonder Woman was pretty good, best in their series, and I thought Aquaman was pretty OK.  The rest have been pretty bad to awful.
Wait, what?  It is in the DCEU, or at least I thought it was.  

Friend of mine is making her way through the MCU as well.  IM, Hulk, IM2, Cap, Thor and last night was Avengers.  She loves some RDJ and the Avengers movie.  

Agreed. The first half or so was pretty decent I thought. Towards the end it got ridiculous. 

https://youtu.be/PrAT_ncXr7M

Wait, what?  It is in the DCEU, or at least I thought it was.  

Friend of mine is making her way through the MCU as well.  IM, Hulk, IM2, Cap, Thor and last night was Avengers.  She loves some RDJ and the Avengers movie.  
Well, there appears to be some debate on it.  Originally it was billed as a stand alone (probably because of the negative energy around the DCEU).  Once some of the other later pictures performed better, there may be a link they plan on adding later.  What I always called as evidence was at the end of Shazam (spoiler coming up but this is an old movie by now) when they show Superman at the school, but don't show his face.  The reasoning at the time was Superman existed in that world of course, but producers didn't know if it would actually be linked to the movies, so they showed the symbol and not the man.

Now a lot of people seem to agree that he will be in the DCEU, but I've seen quotes by Zachary Levi saying he hopes it will happen.  So I think he was not originally, but now very well could be.

https://time.com/5563812/shazam-dc-extended-universe-timeline/

Ragnarok was fine with the right expecations.  It was basically a slap-stick comedy.  May as well have been a 90's Adam Sandler movie, which were also very enjoyable.  I'd say the same about GotG 2.  Marvel movies have a lot of comedy but those two were both outliers even amongst Marvel movies.  They had what I think were supposed to be some important character moments but I don't even remember them because everything that happened seemed like nothing more than a set-up for the next joke.

The first iron man movie is a good movie in it's own right and totally sets the stage for one of the most important characters. I'd watch that over civil war all day. 

1 iron man

2 winter soldier 

3 guardians of the galaxy but not mandatory, it's just a fun movie and should be in there

It doesnt matter which order because they're standalone movies. 

Then avengers, infinity war and end game. You might be a bit confused about Loki but it's plenty. Screw Ultron, civil war has some good scenes but isn't really newsworthy except that there was a falling out, and as much as I enjoyed most of the thor movies, they can be skipped or watched later without missing important plot points. Ant man is kind of important too but not overly so. 

I thought Ragnarok was terrible. I like Jeff Goldblum but his character was awful and his whole section bogged the movie down in a mud that it couldn't escape. 
he was weird but he was a minor character. surprised that ruined the movie for you.  I thought it was a great blend of action/comedy with a decent story.   To get all those things clicking in a comic movie is something many of these films fail to do.   just look at the DC movies.  They can barely get one of those elements to work in their stuff.

Well, there appears to be some debate on it.  Originally it was billed as a stand alone (probably because of the negative energy around the DCEU).  Once some of the other later pictures performed better, there may be a link they plan on adding later.  What I always called as evidence was at the end of Shazam (spoiler coming up but this is an old movie by now) when they show Superman at the school, but don't show his face.  The reasoning at the time was Superman existed in that world of course, but producers didn't know if it would actually be linked to the movies, so they showed the symbol and not the man.

Now a lot of people seem to agree that he will be in the DCEU, but I've seen quotes by Zachary Levi saying he hopes it will happen.  So I think he was not originally, but now very well could be.

Interesting.  Never heard of any debate about it, although i don't follow DC as much as Marvel.  Thanks for this.

Interesting, I just assumed they didn't want to show his face because of all those rumors that Cavill was out as Supes after BvS and Justice League disappointed. Personally thought Cavill was fine, terrible scripts and the focus on making FX blockbuster focused movies sunk them though. Wonder Woman is the best of these DCEU movies although Shazam is a lot of fun, but even WW suffers from devolving into a terrible CGI battle at the end (along with somewhat ripping off the end of Captain America 1.)

Back in the MCU..... Ragnarok and Ant-Man and the Wasp have been on regular channels a lot lately.  I know most rate AM&TW lower on the MCU scale but I enjoyed it.  Esp with the overlap with IW in the credit scenes.  When we saw it in the theater my kid sat up in her chair and said "They got THANOS'D!"  Don't know if the others in the theater heard her but I couldn't stop laughing.  

1. The Avengers
2. Winter Soldier
4. Civil War
5. Infinity War
6. Endgame
When is this happening?  Need the MT feedback. 
Update: I've now seen Casablanca. I thought it was well written and engaging -- a smart screenplay, for sure. The practice of spending the first three minutes of the movie showing the closing credits was pretty dumb -- I assume all movies did that back then. There were a few cliches ("Here's looking at you, kid") and a few attempted cliches that they bungled ("Play it once, Sam" instead of "Play it again, Sam"). The bold choice to film it in black and white gave it an artsy feel, I guess. (Yes, the last two sentences are attempted jokes.)

One thing about old movies is that the acting always seems like it's styled for a stage production. The lines are delivered for a bigger audience than just the camera. Everything is a touch histrionic. This was noticeable in Casablanca and even more distracting in The Producers, which I also saw recently. (When it comes to Hitlerian comedies, I thought Jojo Rabbit was far, far superior.)

My next movie, this weekend, will be Palm Springs. Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies ever, and Palm Springs is being compared favorably to it, or at least on par with it.

I'll probably start in with The Avengers after that and see an MCU movie at least once a month, maybe more often.

FWIW pretty much everyone thought The Dark Knight Rises sucked.
I felt that way about Endgame.

Almost nothing happens for the first hour.

It's a frigin' comic book movie and nothing happens for the first hour....?

I would watch Dark Knight Rises over and over again before I would watch EndGame again.

I felt that way about Endgame.

Almost nothing happens for the first hour.

It's a frigin' comic book movie and nothing happens for the first hour....?

I would watch Dark Knight Rises over and over again before I would watch EndGame again.

Weird take, IMO.

Yeah, there's about an hour of setup before the time-heist starts.  If you want the entire movie to be one giant CGI battle scene, then yeah....I guess I could see you being disappointed.

But I wouldn't say that hour is boring at all.  After the initial conflict hunting down Thanos, they had to spend some time setting up the world (5 years post snap), catching up with what some characters have done since, getting everyone back together, etc. I thought the pacing was good and most of the scenes we were well done (the Thor stuff being the only outlier, IMO)

Its a 3 hour movie with a ton of characters.  It can't be constant fights and explosions the entire time :shrug:

Weird take, IMO.

Yeah, there's about an hour of setup before the time-heist starts.  If you want the entire movie to be one giant CGI battle scene, then yeah....I guess I could see you being disappointed.

But I wouldn't say that hour is boring at all.  After the initial conflict hunting down Thanos, they had to spend some time setting up the world (5 years post snap), catching up with what some characters have done since, getting everyone back together, etc. I thought the pacing was good and most of the scenes we were well done (the Thor stuff being the only outlier, IMO)

Its a 3 hour movie with a ton of characters.  It can't be constant fights and explosions the entire time :shrug:
There was plot development in all of the Marvel films but it was well paced between the action sequences.  This one seemed way off having no action at all for an hour.

I agree that you can't just have one long action sequence. But this film felt bloated and way too long for me. And I liked the other Avengers films.  :shrug:

There was plot development in all of the Marvel films but it was well paced between the action sequences.  This one seemed way off having no action at all for an hour.

I agree that you can't just have one long action sequence. But this film felt bloated and way too long for me. And I liked the other Avengers films.  :shrug:

I'd disagree with "no action at all"  (there certainly wasn't a ton, but you had the Thanos chase down and catching up with Hawkeye. Obviously both of those were short sequences) but to each their own.

It was the end to a huge saga and they were clearly going for something "deeper" than a normal popcorn blockbuster type movie. I think it completely hit the mark (again, other than the Thor stuff, as I thought they went way too comedy-heavy with him after the success of Ragnarok) but everyone's certainly entitled to their opinion.

Any of you guys ever read the Vol.1 Guardians of the Galaxy (the ones with Charlie-27, where Yondu is a member of team, Rancor(Wolverine's Grand daughter) and Ripjak (the serial killer with Spider Man's blood)?

Just asking because there is an excellent opening to transition a new sled of movies and ride on the popularity of GOTG/Avengers and maybe bring the X-men into it.  

As a kid who grew up reading Marvel heavily, this is a great time to be alive :)

I would say that the problem was not necessarily that Endgame had no action but rather that the action never seemed to gain any momentum. 

As opposed to Infinity War which just kept building and building to new levels of awesome.

The "beat" was wrong with Endgame.

Damn. He looked really bad the last time I remember seeing him. People were saying he had dropped weight for a role. Obviously not.

Horrible news. 43 year old man. Talented actor and just an overall charismatic dude.

Update: I've now seen Casablanca. I thought it was well written and engaging -- a smart screenplay, for sure. The practice of spending the first three minutes of the movie showing the closing credits was pretty dumb -- I assume all movies did that back then. There were a few cliches ("Here's looking at you, kid") and a few attempted cliches that they bungled ("Play it once, Sam" instead of "Play it again, Sam"). The bold choice to film it in black and white gave it an artsy feel, I guess. (Yes, the last two sentences are attempted jokes.)

One thing about old movies is that the acting always seems like it's styled for a stage production. The lines are delivered for a bigger audience than just the camera. Everything is a touch histrionic. This was noticeable in Casablanca and even more distracting in The Producers, which I also saw recently. (When it comes to Hitlerian comedies, I thought Jojo Rabbit was far, far superior.)

My next movie, this weekend, will be Palm Springs. Groundhog Day is one of my favorite movies ever, and Palm Springs is being compared favorably to it, or at least on par with it.

I'll probably start in with The Avengers after that and see an MCU movie at least once a month, maybe more often.
Curious if you started your 6 movie MCU trip?

Curious if you started your 6 movie MCU trip?
Yes. I was going to save commenting until I had gotten further along, but I watched The Avengers and thought it was very good. Clever dialogue, good character ... not development, exactly, but presentation, I guess. They introduced and presented the characters efficiently so that no prior knowledge was required for their interactions to have depth. The emphasis on action and special effects was more than I'd prefer, but that's okay. On the whole, it was supremely competent and consistently entertaining.

None of it was hard to follow. I realized there were references I wasn't getting, like Black Widow's previous interaction with Hawkeye ("You and I remember Budapest rather differently") -- there were a number of lines like that, hinting at backstories unseen, but that wasn't a drawback: it made the universe seem richer and more complete.

Winter Soldier will be in a couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread