What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Foles Landing Spot/Contract Size (Jags, reportedly 4/88 50 guaranteed) (3 Viewers)

Talking about winning another SB. 

If that were to happen, think about it.
I get it, but think he's already done a ton to help himself this year.

Rams, @ Texans, @ Bears is probably a more difficult run than Atlanta (H), Saints (H), Pats (neutral field) last year.

Someone is going to PAY him.

Devil's Advocate, maybe he and his agent read the market as "not great" and he stays where he is for another year? With Brady and all the QB class of 2004 guys starting to come into retirement conversations, delaying the "getting paid" party a year might not be terrible. Is being 31 that much worse if you're already 30? It seems like Garoppolo held the title of "most eligible bachelor" behind Brady for years. I doubt another year in Philly would tarnish Foles much...

It's also one of the worst qb drafts in recent memory, combined with one of the worst FA QB situations in recent history.  This is a great year for him to be looking.
True, but still dealing with the impact of last year's draft/FA class, which was very large. All those teams aren't moving on so soon.  The # of team that can/would pay him is limited.

Devil's Advocate, maybe he and his agent read the market as "not great" and he stays where he is for another year? With Brady and all the QB class of 2004 guys starting to come into retirement conversations, delaying the "getting paid" party a year might not be terrible. Is being 31 that much worse if you're already 30? It seems like Garoppolo held the title of "most eligible bachelor" behind Brady for years. I doubt another year in Philly would tarnish Foles much...
If he stays in Philly, they trade Wentz/  0 % chance they keep them both.

The first 2 game losing streak, half the fans are screaming for Wentz to get benched. Time to move on for both sides.

I am a little confused by Foles' contract. There is a mutual $20 million option for next season. The Eagles have a week after the SB to exercise their option. Foles has 5 days after that to agree or not sign. If he declines, he has to give back $2 million of his signing bonus to the Eagles. Imagine if PHI went back-to-back and Foles had to give money back to the Eagles.

The part I am confused about is there was talk over the weekend of the Eagles potentially franchising Foles in an effort to get something for him in a trade. Not sure what the rules are for franchising players with options in their contract and how to trade guys that aren't under contract (Le'Veon Bell says hi).

I believe Foles would have to sign the franchise tender, PHI would have to negotiate a trade, and Foles would have to work out a new deal by the mid-July deadline for franchised tag players to sign long-term deals. Ultimately, a team may have to pull the trigger on a trade without knowing if they could work out a long-term deal with Foles. 

I am not sure Foles would be a huge fan of this scenario, and teams may not want to part with whatever the asking price may be. IIRC, last off season the Eagles received offers and/or Foles was potentially available and teams were not willing to part with enough to obtain him.

I am a little confused by Foles' contract. There is a mutual $20 million option for next season. The Eagles have a week after the SB to exercise their option. Foles has 5 days after that to agree or not sign. If he declines, he has to give back $2 million of his signing bonus to the Eagles. Imagine if PHI went back-to-back and Foles had to give money back to the Eagles.

The part I am confused about is there was talk over the weekend of the Eagles potentially franchising Foles in an effort to get something for him in a trade. Not sure what the rules are for franchising players with options in their contract and how to trade guys that aren't under contract (Le'Veon Bell says hi).

I believe Foles would have to sign the franchise tender, PHI would have to negotiate a trade, and Foles would have to work out a new deal by the mid-July deadline for franchised tag players to sign long-term deals. Ultimately, a team may have to pull the trigger on a trade without knowing if they could work out a long-term deal with Foles. 

I am not sure Foles would be a huge fan of this scenario, and teams may not want to part with whatever the asking price may be. IIRC, last off season the Eagles received offers and/or Foles was potentially available and teams were not willing to part with enough to obtain him.
In the Eagles thread I read there was little interest in trade offers for him last year, so I did some digging and it looks like they may have turned down a 2nd rounder for him. Being that is what SF gave for Jimmy G, I wouldn't say that is little interest. 

I think the dream scenario for Philly is to take on his extension, and try to trade him. I'd have to imagine quite a few suitors on a 1 year trial with the guy, doubt that is best case for BDN, and at this juncture, I'd think he would opt out and pay them $2mm. Not sure how a franchise tag would work after a player declined an option, although I assume there has to be language in the CBA that addresses this. 

A lot of people don't understand how supply and demand works. 

There is always demand for a SB winning QB, and this year is no different. Even if the demand side is slightly less this year than last, there is still a healthy amount of it. On the supply side, there is very little, so when supply is low and demand is still there, the price is typically more, not less. 

The QB situation (between FA/draft) is pretty soft this year, making BDN the most attractive target, someone will pay!

In the Eagles thread I read there was little interest in trade offers for him last year, so I did some digging and it looks like they may have turned down a 2nd rounder for him. Being that is what SF gave for Jimmy G, I wouldn't say that is little interest. 

I think the dream scenario for Philly is to take on his extension, and try to trade him. I'd have to imagine quite a few suitors on a 1 year trial with the guy, doubt that is best case for BDN, and at this juncture, I'd think he would opt out and pay them $2mm. Not sure how a franchise tag would work after a player declined an option, although I assume there has to be language in the CBA that addresses this. 
The reason I said there was limited interest in Foles is that the rumor was they wanted a first rounder and another pick for Foles. Some people speculated they wanted two first rounders. . Given that he had just won the SB and had a cheap contract, one would think that he would have generated more interest.

Given that Foles turns 30 in 2 weeks, he may not get another chance at getting a mega-contract. He will likely want a 5 year deal worth $100M+ with tens of millions guaranteed.  I doubt Foles would want anything to do with opting in to a one year deal for only $20 million. Not sure how this one will play out . . .

The reason I said there was limited interest in Foles is that the rumor was they wanted a first rounder and another pick for Foles. Some people speculated they wanted two first rounders. . Given that he had just won the SB and had a cheap contract, one would think that he would have generated more interest.

Given that Foles turns 30 in 2 weeks, he may not get another chance at getting a mega-contract. He will likely want a 5 year deal worth $100M+ with tens of millions guaranteed.  I doubt Foles would want anything to do with opting in to a one year deal for only $20 million. Not sure how this one will play out . . .
Not just you, but I read this comment from multiple posters in the Eagles thread. I'd consider a 2nd rounder a good amount of interest. 

For most positions 30 is the start of the end, for a QB who has seen limited action, I'd think he can be solid for 7-8 seasons. 

If he wins a shootout (or loses a close one but lights it up) against the Saints, his stock will continue to climb.  That final clutch drive yesterday against the Bears earned him (or saved him) a lot of money because he hadn't played well up to the point.  With every game, he's giving GMs a bigger body of work to judge him on.  A couple weeks ago, I said he'll likely get a Case Keenum-like contract.  I still think it will be similar, but a nice showing this weekend could make it even nicer.

The only way he opts in is if  the Eagles give him assurances he'll be involved in where he can go.  

Realize though - they restructured this contract just so the Eagles COULD trade him this offseason.  Originally this contract had an automatic cancellation this offseason.  Now there is the option to keep it.  Basically for 2 million dollars he lets us trade him...or he turns it down and straight signs a contract.

The only way he opts in is if  the Eagles give him assurances he'll be involved in where he can go.  

Realize though - they restructured this contract just so the Eagles COULD trade him this offseason.  Originally this contract had an automatic cancellation this offseason.  Now there is the option to keep it.  Basically for 2 million dollars he lets us trade him...or he turns it down and straight signs a contract.
Think even Eagles fans are starting to realize he is going to sign elsewhere at this point, guy has clearly earned it. 

Wentz looked like Blake Bortles in NO earlier in the season, so I think no matter what he does this week, he is locked in for 4/90 $40-$50mm guaranteed. If it costs him $2mm to get that, so be it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Think even Eagles fans are starting to realize he is going to sign elsewhere at this point, guy has clearly earned it. 

Wentz looked like Blake Bortles in NO earlier in the season, so I think no matter what he does this week, he is locked in for 4/90 $40-$50mm guaranteed. If it costs him $2mm to get that, so be it. 
He'll be elsewhere for sure.  They won't keep Foles there to look over Wentz' shoulder and Foles seems to play well only when Wentz is hurt and unavailable.  With Wentz day to day to start the season, Foles didn't look good at all.  They are both better off being the undisputed starter. Next season, they're going to want to lock Wentz up.  That's going to cost 30-35 million/per. So obviously they can't afford to pay Foles 20+ million also.

I definitely think the Eagles will work with Foles to make him happy. They definitely won't do anything to screw him over.  I still think he ends up in Jacksonville or Miami. Outside shot at the Giants.

He'll be elsewhere for sure.  They won't keep Foles there to look over Wentz' shoulder and Foles seems to play well only when Wentz is hurt and unavailable.  With Wentz day to day to start the season, Foles didn't look good at all.  They are both better off being the undisputed starter. Next season, they're going to want to lock Wentz up.  That's going to cost 30-35 million/per. So obviously they can't afford to pay Foles 20+ million also.

I definitely think the Eagles will work with Foles to make him happy. They definitely won't do anything to screw him over.  I still think he ends up in Jacksonville or Miami. Outside shot at the Giants.
I don't think they'll have a choice, he is opting out and signing a deal for at least 3-4 years, with much more than the $20 guaranteed from the one he can opt out of. 

I think the market for Foles last season was softer because of his prior history in St. Louis and people willing to view last season's run as a fluke. Now that he has made a similar run in a second straight season, I think people are beginning to realize that he is a very good QB and the St. Louis time was the outlier (which is backed up by how Bradford, Keenum, and Goff did under Fisher and how they have done elsewhere). If the Eagles want to move on from Foles, they will obviously try to work it where they can get something for him in a trade. As long as Foles has input into where he gets traded, I think Foles would be perfectly okay with this. The Eagles organization and Foles have worked very well together over the last two years to both parties benefit.

I think the market for Foles last season was softer because of his prior history in St. Louis and people willing to view last season's run as a fluke. Now that he has made a similar run in a second straight season, I think people are beginning to realize that he is a very good QB and the St. Louis time was the outlier (which is backed up by how Bradford, Keenum, and Goff did under Fisher and how they have done elsewhere). If the Eagles want to move on from Foles, they will obviously try to work it where they can get something for him in a trade. As long as Foles has input into where he gets traded, I think Foles would be perfectly okay with this. The Eagles organization and Foles have worked very well together over the last two years to both parties benefit.
I just don't understand this line of thinking. 

Apparently, Nick Foles hates money. 

Nick will get his money. But if he can help out the Eagles in the process, I think he will, is all that I am saying.
The only way he can help the Eagles is by signing a 1 year deal (basically accepting the option on his current contract). So by helping the Eagles, he leaves a lot of guaranteed money on the table. 

To do this, he apparently hates money. 

The only way he can help the Eagles is by signing a 1 year deal (basically accepting the option on his current contract). So by helping the Eagles, he leaves a lot of guaranteed money on the table. 

To do this, he apparently hates money. 
Or the Eagles franchise him and trade him. Nick's new team signs him to a long term deal. Nick makes lots of money

Or the Eagles franchise him and trade him. Nick's new team signs him to a long term deal. Nick makes lots of money
I don't know if that is an option. He can opt out of his current deal, not sure a franchise tag would be available in that situation. Anyone know what language in the CBA discusses this?

That would still make zero sense for him though, why would he want that?

Nick will get his money. But if he can help out the Eagles in the process, I think he will, is all that I am saying.
And the eagles giving him that million dollars for the contract incentive he missed out on was a good example of the respect the two sides have for each other.

JuniorNB said:
And the eagles giving him that million dollars for the contract incentive he missed out on was a good example of the respect the two sides have for each other.
He was obviously going to get that. I stated that would happen in the Eagles thread over a week ago. IIRC, the response was to you (maybe BigBoy, one of the two of you), this was absolutely no surprise at all. 

fantasycurse42 said:
I don't know if that is an option. He can opt out of his current deal, not sure a franchise tag would be available in that situation. Anyone know what language in the CBA discusses this?

That would still make zero sense for him though, why would he want that?
Well, why does it make sense for teams to franchise players who are at the end of their contracts? Because the team wants them and it forces them to pay the player a top salary for his position. If Foles opts out of his current contract, I don't see why the Eagles couldn't franchise him, thus giving him a contract for a lot more money. Why would that make zero sense for Foles? Especially if he knew the plan was to trade him to x-team that he was okay with and they wanted him and they were going to sign him to a long term deal?

I don't know for sure if the Eagles can franchise Foles, but I don't see any reason they couldn't. If Foles opts out of his current contract then he would be like any other player at the end of his contract. But I could be wrong.

He was obviously going to get that. I stated that would happen in the Eagles thread over a week ago. IIRC, the response was to you (maybe BigBoy, one of the two of you), this was absolutely no surprise at all. 
You may say it is obvious, but legally the Eagles didn't have to give him the bonus because legally he did not meet the requirements to earn it. Just like they weren't require to give Foles a bonus for his post season play last year, but they did. 

Well, why does it make sense for teams to franchise players who are at the end of their contracts? Because the team wants them and it forces them to pay the player a top salary for his position. If Foles opts out of his current contract, I don't see why the Eagles couldn't franchise him, thus giving him a contract for a lot more money. Why would that make zero sense for Foles? Especially if he knew the plan was to trade him to x-team that he was okay with and they wanted him and they were going to sign him to a long term deal?

I don't know for sure if the Eagles can franchise Foles, but I don't see any reason they couldn't. If Foles opts out of his current contract then he would be like any other player at the end of his contract. But I could be wrong.
I understand why teams like franchise tags, but I was unaware player liked playing under the franchise tag. 

It wasn't an obligation and not every team would have given it.  It was never in doubt in my mind. Or any Eagles fan.

BECAUSE IT PAYS THEM LOTS OF MONEY WHICH YOU THINK ALL PLAYERS ARE MOTIVATED BY. You seem to be arguing out of both sides of your mouth.
You know a guy just sat out an entire season bc he didn't want to play under the tag, forfeiting about $15mm? Am I breaking this to you, new story? 

Are you now arguing that players like being tagged? Or are you just typing in caps for fun? 

Here is me saying they would pay him, bc it was pretty obvious they would. $1mm is nothing compared to the amount he made the franchise over the last month.

Here is some more sound logic

You know a guy just sat out an entire season bc he didn't want to play under the tag, forfeiting about $15mm? Am I breaking this to you, new story? 

Are you now arguing that players like being tagged? Or are you just typing in caps for fun? 

Here is me saying they would pay him, bc it was pretty obvious they would. $1mm is nothing compared to the amount he made the franchise over the last month.

You seem to get buttsore every time someone responds. You also seem to have all the answers and know exactly how this is going to end.  Eagles fans are telling you that both sides have options and they will work together to make sure it's beneficial to both.  I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear.

I am not saying players liked to be tagged, but the benefit of the tag, and the reason it is even in the CBA, is it guarantees that the player gets paid the average of the top 5 at his position. The Eagles will only franchise him if the Eagles and Nick and some other team have a plan in place to trade him. The Eagles can't afford to Franchise him if they can't trade him.

But my overall point is that the Eagles and Foles will work together for BOTH parties benefits more than usually occurs between management and players. You can disagree with that, and that is fine.

You seem to get buttsore every time someone responds. You also seem to have all the answers and know exactly how this is going to end.  Eagles fans are telling you that both sides have options and they will work together to make sure it's beneficial to both.  I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear.
Not sure by what you mean buttsore? Do you mean pointing out that players don't like playing under a tag makes me angry? Sorry pal, you're pretty off on that, not angry at all :) . You can go back and read my answers, I appear to have a better read on Foles than most do. 

Said he would go into Chi and win, said he would pick up $40mm guaranteed and most Eagles fans laughed.

I am not saying players liked to be tagged, but the benefit of the tag, and the reason it is even in the CBA, is it guarantees that the player gets paid the average of the top 5 at his position. The Eagles will only franchise him if the Eagles and Nick and some other team have a plan in place to trade him. The Eagles can't afford to Franchise him if they can't trade him.

But my overall point is that the Eagles and Foles will work together for BOTH parties benefits more than usually occurs between management and players. You can disagree with that, and that is fine.
If it works out to Foles picking up a minimum of $40-$50mm guaranteed, then sure it can happen. Otherwise, I don't see it. He isn't going to go along with anything that costs him $10's of millions of guaranteed money, that would be lunacy. 

You guys are funny. This is a business, it has nothing to do with any man-crush between the two parties or the Eagles being altruistic. The Eagles are paying Foles his bonus because they would take a PR hit with the public and current/future players if they did not. Likewise, Foles is not going to give up control of his financial future as a "thank you". Besides, do you think it makes any sense to have his next team weakened by having to give up players/draft picks to acquire him, while at the same time strengthening his (now) competition?

Obviously there's a chance they trade him, but they aren't going to be holding hands and singing kumbaya together if it happens.

fantasycurse42 said:
There is always demand for a SB winning QB, and this year is no different.
Agreed. I'm sure people will be shocked at how much Joe Flacco gets paid.

I'm still shocked over what Sam Bradford got paid.

Foles is only 29..peak age for a good 3-4 year run.  4-5 year deal 20-25 a year. 

Right now the Vikings would take him over Cousins for the same deal Cousins got.

Agreed. I'm sure people will be shocked at how much Joe Flacco gets paid.

I'm still shocked over what Sam Bradford got paid.
Flacco had a 11 TD 0 interception playoff run and Baltimore thought they were getting Flacco as he is starting to mature and come into his prime.  It turned out, that run was a fluke and he reverted back to the previous year-Flacco and never got better.

That is a prime example of what there weren't any great trade offers after last year's Super Bowl MVP.  Sure it was impressive.  But what is the real Nick Foles?  His 27-2 season under Chip Kelly and the great playoff run?  Or the second year under Kelly and the year he lost the starting job with the Rams?  His start to 2018 made it seem like teams were right in not offering up the farm for him, as he looked very average in his two starts.  But typical Foles, he gets another chance and goes on another tear. And with each game having playoff implications.

I've said that Foles is going to get a Case Keenum-like contract, which is 2 years/36 million w/25 million guaranteed.   I think that getting a second shot due to Wentz' back injury will end up earning him a 3rd or 4th year and at 20 million/per.  Every game he plays is worth millions to him.  That final drive where he threw the TD to Tate earned him more money than he made in salary all year.

fantasycurse42 said:

The QB franchise tag is expected to be $27-29MM. The Eagles would be taking on a lot of risk by doing so. They would need to "hold" that much cap space for when he did sign which would seriously hurt them during the free agency process. Then what if he does sign? They'd have to be desperate to move him - and it also hurts his trade value.

babydemon90 said:
True, but still dealing with the impact of last year's draft/FA class, which was very large. All those teams aren't moving on so soon.  The # of team that can/would pay him is limited.
Yeah.  I mean, there will be teams looking for a starting QB:

Jax
MIami
NYG
Washington

Denver/Cinci/Oak/Ten all possible but unlikely.

Probably 4-5 starting jobs up for grabs.

The QB franchise tag is expected to be $27-29MM. The Eagles would be taking on a lot of risk by doing so. They would need to "hold" that much cap space for when he did sign which would seriously hurt them during the free agency process. Then what if he does sign? They'd have to be desperate to move him - and it also hurts his trade value.
The 1 year mutually optional deal left on his contract is $20mm. 

They would be able to move him on that easily, imo. 

I think he opts out though.

Users who are viewing this thread