What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (3 Viewers)

Yea, it is an odd move. Team already struggling and you lose your starting QB. Your backup comes in and though didn't do horrible didn't turn things around so you ship your 1st for a slot/safety? Sure, he is a great talent. But.... is that the move you make if you are the Steelers? 

JAX is reportedly asking for at least a 1st but actually more for Ramsey. Yea.... good luck with that guys. You are not exactly in a strong position to deal. They may be hoping to ask high and come down as a strategy. 🤣 I would still take the risk with one of our 3rds though. That talent..... but we may be too gun shy. Two attempts to send 3rd rounders to get a guy who had issues and two massive fails.
Jaylen will go for at least a 1st. 

Raiders aren't dealing their 1st rounders for anyone. Mayock knows college talent. They're going to stick to the plan and build through the draft.

I give the Bear's 1st rounder for Jaylen and pay him also. Guy is a 100% cannot miss corner. You can burn through 10 years of 1st rounders and not get a player of his talent. I'm not a fan of his over the top trash talk and it rubs me the wrong way but we have Mahomes in our division and that's not going away. If we are going to be serious about competing with the Chiefs we need the tools. Here he is. Has he had any off the field trouble? Coming off the AB hangover my 1st reaction was hell no but the more I think about it when do guys like this come up for the taking? Similar to Mack. This is like getting Revis in his prime. I think it needs to take serious consideration and there's also this:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1173735845565587456

I give the Bear's 1st rounder for Jaylen and pay him also. Guy is a 100% cannot miss corner. You can burn through 10 years of 1st rounders and not get a player of his talent. I'm not a fan of his over the top trash talk and it rubs me the wrong way but we have Mahomes in our division and that's not going away. If we are going to be serious about competing with the Chiefs we need the tools. Here he is. Has he had any off the field trouble? Coming off the AB hangover my 1st reaction was hell no but the more I think about it when do guys like this come up for the taking? Similar to Mack. This is like getting Revis in his prime. I think it needs to take serious consideration and there's also this:

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1173735845565587456
Ramsey is a great player but he's not coming to the Raiders.  The best players decide where they want to play.  The new NFL is not going to be pleasant for struggling teams.  

DocHolliday said:
Ramsey is a great player but he's not coming to the Raiders.  The best players decide where they want to play.  The new NFL is not going to be pleasant for struggling teams.  
Click the twitter link. It's him saying he wants to play in Vegas

DocHolliday said:
Agree with @FreshiZ's take that spending a first rounder on proven talent can be wise.

We still have to see what we have in Isaiah Johnson, and I don't fault Mullen for being a rookie -- in fact, two of the big breakdowns in coverage in the 2nd quarter seemed more on Joyner (or breakdown in communication between Joyner and the CBs in coverage). 

But we need help in both areas, and proven talent is worth the more variable guessing game out of the draft. We have a lot of young guys who could -- or could not - pan out. Why not spend a first rounder to shore up risk rather than take another variable guess in this year's draft?

That said, I think @DocHolliday is right -- even if we wanted to offer to Jaylen (and again, I think we should), he would much rather go to a team like the Chiefs. And it is very much the pattern we're going to in terms of players dictating terms of where they go next.

Honestly not psyched about football this year seeing teams like the Pats and Chiefs only get stronger. Whatever happened to parity and any given Sunday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just throwing this out there. I've always been a Carr supporter, and will be until hes no longer a Raider. If by the end of the season he hasn't shown he can take his game to the next level, do Gruden/Mayock keep those two 1st round picks to package a deal to move up and go after Tua/Herbert/Hurts? Just thinking maybe that's why they're reluctant to a trade a first round pick. Gotta keep them in their back pocket if things go south at the QB position. Going to Vegas with a new QB might be something they're mulling over.

Just throwing this out there. I've always been a Carr supporter, and will be until hes no longer a Raider. If by the end of the season he hasn't shown he can take his game to the next level, do Gruden/Mayock keep those two 1st round picks to package a deal to move up and go after Tua/Herbert/Hurts? Just thinking maybe that's why they're reluctant to a trade a first round pick. Gotta keep them in their back pocket if things go south at the QB position. Going to Vegas with a new QB might be something they're mulling over.
I was thinking the same thing also when pondering Jaylen but we may have a top 10 pick on our own.

We'll all have a special place in our heart for Carr based on that miracle season a couple of years ago but there is just no consistency there. It was painful watching him fall apart against the Chiefs when we had such a promising start to the game. I think we need to move on. 

Click the twitter link. It's him saying he wants to play in Vegas
Nevada has no personal Income Tax, so that gives us an advantage over most states(Except Florida & Texas), and Vegas is going to be enticing all by itself. The new facilities and stadium are going to be a pull for Free Agents as well. I'm against Ramsey for a few reasons, we'd be spending a 1st AND $20+ mil in cap space per year, the Jags defense has been sub-par for over a year now, and he's already shown some diva qualities. 

100% agree. Carr is a great guy, but this is a make or break year for him. Not necessarily wins or losses but he needs to improve his decision making, execution, and consistency. 

I think this week is a big litmus test for the character of the team. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-lamarcus-joyner-encouraged-raiders-140723966.html

The Raiders didn't spent much time sulking after Sunday's loss to Kansas City. The secondary in particular was engaged in spirited dialogue following a game decided by big plays, all in a short span.

Veteran slot cornerback Lamarcus Joyner spoke to several before leaving the locker room, including Trayvon Mullen, Curtis Riley and Keisean Nixon about where things went awry against the NFL's scariest offense.

The team captain's antennae have been up since the loss became official, curious to see how the Raiders would respond to the season's first on-field setback. He knows you can learn a lot about team character and chemistry after things don't go right.

Joyner was happy to see the group processing the loss in the locker room, not wallowing in an emotional reaction. That continued as the night wore on.

"The guys that I called up last night were already watching the film," Joyner said. "Guys are excited. They are encouraged despite the loss that we suffered. I think it shows how good of a team we are to say that we had some success against the best offense in the league and look at it as a positive.

"When you can honestly say that you defeated yourself, that's always encouraging."

The Raiders are skewing younger, with impact rookies across the depth chart. The team's leadership will have to help this group working through disappointments without losing sight of the need to steadily progress.

"They have to assume a huge leadership role right now and I know they will," head coach Jon Gruden said. "I plan on us having a heck of a week of practice. We have a great challenge, it doesn't get any easier."

The Raiders start a prolonged road trip Sunday in Minnesota, a playoff contender in the NFC North. They'll have to recover quickly to compete with the Vikings, and Joyner has an idea how to do that.

He believes the Raiders functioned well in man coverage, and that his fellow defensive backs are ready for the challenge of covering receivers straight up.

"Me and my guys are running a mile every day after practice, man," Joyner said. "We are going to get our cardio together and we're going to go get after people."

The Raiders are trying to solve problems, attempting to tighten up pass defense as they have in the run game.

"That young defensive line and out linebackers do a good job of getting to the ball," Joyner said. "That's good and we as a secondary know that we have to master our technique knowing we can hang our hat on the guys up front stopping the run. Now the games are going to be on us."

That may be an exaggeration. The Chiefs exposed a few problem spots, even in a game where the Raiders weren't expected to win. They need better from the passing attack and receivers not named Tyrell Williams and Darren Waller. The pass rush has to get better, and the secondary must shore up the back.

The early response to Sunday's setback has been encouraging in its business-like approach.

"Everyone is positive, and I love it," Joyner said. "That's what you need. You have to have a short-term memory, especially as a defensive back. My job is to get right back at it, even after you give up a catch or a big play. The mindset we have in moving forward quickly, learning from our mistakes while preparing for the Minnesota Vikings is a good sign.

"That has been phenomenal."

Carr is likely gone at the end of the season.   He has been a great Raider but his best football seems to behind him.  It is what it is. 

Carr is likely gone at the end of the season.   He has been a great Raider but his best football seems to behind him.  It is what it is. 
I agree with Doc.   i just don't think Gruden is sold on Derek.   Gruden's been quite vocal about pushing the ball down the field, and Derek can't (or won't) do that.   

I agree with Doc.   i just don't think Gruden is sold on Derek.   Gruden's been quite vocal about pushing the ball down the field, and Derek can't (or won't) do that.   
Yeah, I agree as well. Gruden won't ever say it in the media but this is a make or break season for Carr. The fact that Gruden is kicking the tires of so many back up QBs makes me think he's concerned about depth at the position if the time comes to move on from Carr. 

Yeah, I agree as well. Gruden won't ever say it in the media but this is a make or break season for Carr. The fact that Gruden is kicking the tires of so many back up QBs makes me think he's concerned about depth at the position if the time comes to move on from Carr. 
Those back ups are not the answer either.  

Speaking specifically to the last sentence does anybody also think they decided to pay Carr $20 million this season when they could have cut him without much of a cap hit (I think) because they didn't want to spend their last year in Oakland with the likes of Glennon or Peterman or ??? at QB for fear that they'd play before 22,000 fans a game and go 2-14?

Speaking specifically to the last sentence does anybody also think they decided to pay Carr $20 million this season when they could have cut him without much of a cap hit (I think) because they didn't want to spend their last year in Oakland with the likes of Glennon or Peterman or ??? at QB for fear that they'd play before 22,000 fans a game and go 2-14?
I don't think so. I believe Gruden thinks (or thought) Carr is capable of running his offense at a high level. He made Gannon an MVP and won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. I'm sure he had similar hopes with Carr. At least his huge ego thought he could. 

I don't think so. I believe Gruden thinks (or thought) Carr is capable of running his offense at a high level. He made Gannon an MVP and won a Super Bowl with Brad Johnson. I'm sure he had similar hopes with Carr. At least his huge ego thought he could. 
Carr is good but not great.   He shows good decision making for some games or most of the time during most games but he doesn't attack defenses.   His style can be effective with a stout D holding the opponents to low scores but these Raiders don't have that D.   

I like this new kid Trevor Davis we got. Should be a good fill in for special teams. 4.42 at the combine, local kid and seeing as he made the cut in GB with the new coaching regime I think says something. 5th rd pick so I think he's in his last year of his rookie contract and obviously not in GB's future plans but I think he can contribute to our team this season.

TIL: I am not above schadenfreude, no matter how civilized and urbane I try to come off.

F AB. Just desserts.
Hopefully he learns from this and becomes a better man and a better person. (I knew I couldn't type that without laughing.)

I'll bet he's not dancing in his backyard after THIS release.

I wonder if Gruden pondered for a half a second, "Hmmmmm, we really do need a rec..." before Mayock said, "Shut up, Jon."

Oh...and this:

😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂😃😄😅😆😀😁😂

“The New England Patriots are releasing Antonio Brown,” the team said in a statement. “We appreciate the hard work of many people over the past 11 days (that felt like 11 years), but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.”

TIL: I am not above schadenfreude, no matter how civilized and urbane I try to come off.

F AB. Just desserts.
The Raiders are the biggest losers in this.  They are a rebuilding team in dire need of young talent and lost the draft picks.  The Steelers are the winners since they got draft picks for an a hole that was going to be out of the league.  Gruden And Mayock are fools for bringing in a 31- year old diva WR. I cannot comprehend why they ever thought this was a smart move.  

The Raiders are the biggest losers in this.  They are a rebuilding team in dire need of young talent and lost the draft picks.  The Steelers are the winners since they got draft picks for an a hole that was going to be out of the league.  Gruden And Mayock are fools for bringing in a 31- year old diva WR. I cannot comprehend why they ever thought this was a smart move.  
Third round pick risk for the best WR in the game (arguably) seemed reasonable. It cost them the pick but not a penny.

The Pats OTOH are gonna be in the hook for, what? $11 mil? They're going to fight to not pay it but their case is shaky at best.

Third round pick risk for the best WR in the game (arguably) seemed reasonable. It cost them the pick but not a penny.

The Pats OTOH are gonna be in the hook for, what? $11 mil? They're going to fight to not pay it but their case is shaky at best.
What good is that 31 year old diva for a couple of years while the team rebuilds?   By the time the team can compete with the great teams such as KC, AB is a has-been.   Give me the draft picks every day of the week.  The rookie WRs are impressive this year.   

DocHolliday said:
What good is that 31 year old diva for a couple of years while the team rebuilds?   By the time the team can compete with the great teams such as KC, AB is a has-been.   Give me the draft picks every day of the week.  The rookie WRs are impressive this year.   
Things change very fast in the NFL. Easily within the time frame that AB will be at or near the top of his game.

Love AB or hate AB (hate), nobody questions how hard he works at his craft. He has had no major injuries to his body (personally I think Vontaze broke AB's brain). No reason to think he wouldn't be able to perform as a #1 WR for a few more years.

It was a worthwhile risk that didn't pay off. It was a better risk than Martavis who cost the same pick, plus cash paid, and never offered anything close to the upside. And most people were happy when Gruden made that move too.

Things change very fast in the NFL. Easily within the time frame that AB will be at or near the top of his game.

Love AB or hate AB (hate), nobody questions how hard he works at his craft. He has had no major injuries to his body (personally I think Vontaze broke AB's brain). No reason to think he wouldn't be able to perform as a #1 WR for a few more years.

It was a worthwhile risk that didn't pay off. It was a better risk than Martavis who cost the same pick, plus cash paid, and never offered anything close to the upside. And most people were happy when Gruden made that move too.
I don't know anyone that was happy about the Martavis trade except for Steelers fans.  I live in Steelers country.  My friends have not quit laughing over that lopsided trade.  As you can imagine, the AB heist is just more fuel to the fire.  This is why the great teams stay great.  They win trades more than they lose.  I'm still waiting for the Raiders to win one.  

Rebuilding teams need strong vet leaders.  AB is not a leader.  Never has been.  He was just the opposite in Piitsburgh for years. That org did a masterful job of covering it up but winning also has a way of keeping people quiet.  

DocHolliday said:
I can't agree with this take whatsoever.

Raiders lost a talent that could have helped create a step-change in their offensive trajectory, for sure. This is why it seemed like a smart move. Forgetting that he's a headcase, he's still an elite talent. In this day's NFL, teams put up with a ton of crap if there's production on the field. Calling Mayock/Gruden fools is myopic as they were simply taking a risk for elite talent -- note that a lot of teams were interested when AB became available and willing to take on that same risk. Hell, teams were interested even AFTER the disaster in Oakland. 

On the flip side, the Raiders avoided a year(s) long turmoil that could have fractured the team at worst, and been a prominent distraction (in the locker room, in the media, on SM, and everywhere else) at least. 

@Chaka nailed the valuation -- we lost a pick, not a penny - no $30.1M hit this year or a $15.2M hit next year.

To say Pittsburgh was a winner is laughable -- didn't they still have to eat over $21M (1/9th of their entire cap) on a guy who wasn't there? 

I will always wonder what this team's trajectory would have been if AB just shut up and played football. But there is no way in hell we lost -- zero financial implications, and we're cancer-free and focused on our continuing rebuild.

DocHolliday said:
Gruden And Mayock are fools for bringing in a 31- year old diva WR. I cannot comprehend why they ever thought this was a smart move.  

That org did a masterful job of covering it up but winning also has a way of keeping people quiet.  
These are incongruous. How can have Gruden/Mayock be fools for bringing in a diva when the full scope of his diva-like behavior wasn't widely known?

You do have a point, though. I don't think Brown being so blatantly off his rocker was even known to the extent that it came out during his time with the Raiders and Pats.

Where exactly is the evidence of him being this much of a risk? I don't follow everything Steelers, so I may be missing a lot, but here are the "troubling" incidents I recall:

• Brown fined for a few TD celebrations in his second year. Big deal. The NFL even loosened it's celebration requirements the next year.
  • Posted SM video of Tomlin using foul langauge to describe the other team.
  • Had a fight with Big Ben -- where there have been many other stories from former Steelers about what an @$$ Ben is and how much the team worked to cover up Big Ben's own mishaps
  • Sat out regular season finale -- that's a clear signal, but not a pattern we can point at, really.
So fair to say some signals were there, but not to the extent that it all came out while with the Raiders. All the clamoring about him being a locker room cancer came out from Steeler fans after he left, and seemed to be more sour grapes/justification to me than pointing to actual repeatable incidents that were out there.

My way of saying that taking on Brown had risk, but the level of risk and the comments of how stupid the Raiders were to do it is unfair given that the clear extent of how much Brown was a headcase came out only when he was with the Raiders.

Even that wasn't enough to keep a team like the Pats from giving him the same yearly salary. And maybe again I'm not paying as much attention as I should, but seems to me I don't hear nearly as much bashing of NE for taking him on as I have for the Raiders in this saga.

These are incongruous. How can have Gruden/Mayock be fools for bringing in a diva when the full scope of his diva-like behavior wasn't widely known?

You do have a point, though. I don't think Brown being so blatantly off his rocker was even known to the extent that it came out during his time with the Raiders and Pats.

Where exactly is the evidence of him being this much of a risk? I don't follow everything Steelers, so I may be missing a lot, but here are the "troubling" incidents I recall:

• Brown fined for a few TD celebrations in his second year. Big deal. The NFL even loosened it's celebration requirements the next year.
  • Posted SM video of Tomlin using foul langauge to describe the other team.
  • Had a fight with Big Ben -- where there have been many other stories from former Steelers about what an @$$ Ben is and how much the team worked to cover up Big Ben's own mishaps
  • Sat out regular season finale -- that's a clear signal, but not a pattern we can point at, really.
So fair to say some signals were there, but not to the extent that it all came out while with the Raiders. All the clamoring about him being a locker room cancer came out from Steeler fans after he left, and seemed to be more sour grapes/justification to me than pointing to actual repeatable incidents that were out there.

My way of saying that taking on Brown had risk, but the level of risk and the comments of how stupid the Raiders were to do it is unfair given that the clear extent of how much Brown was a headcase came out only when he was with the Raiders.

Even that wasn't enough to keep a team like the Pats from giving him the same yearly salary. And maybe again I'm not paying as much attention as I should, but seems to me I don't hear nearly as much bashing of NE for taking him on as I have for the Raiders in this saga.
Agree with this.  And the Pats supposedly offered the Steelers a 1 for him, but they didn't want to trade him there.  It was a worthwhile gamble that didn't pan out.  I can't see how anyone can bash the Raiders for trading a 3 and a 5 for possibly the best WR in football.

Raiders hold Vikings on 3rd down, holding penalty on Conley, leads to Thielen TD. Then the offense comes in and promptly goes 3 and out! I'm bringing this up because this is what happened last week. Nothing has changed. Why can't Carr get this offense going?

BLOWOUT! Jalen Ramsey doesn't play QB. Save those draft picks Gruden. 
Haha! He also doesn't get 15 sacks a year. I thot the Raiders had a golden opportunity to offer 1s for both Fitzpatrick and Ramsey and presto! have a top notch secondary. But no matter how good a secondary's skills are, they can't cover people forever and without a pass rush Fitzpatrick and Ramsey are mere mortals. I'll leave the rest unsaid...

No shame losing to the Chiefs and Vikings (tho I remember when we used to beat the Vikes 32-14) but it looks like they're coming home 1-6. This team, obviously, has a loooooooong way to go to be regularly competitive on the road.

Read that the Jags are asking for 2 firsts or a first and another high round pick for Ramsay.

We don't have both to give. 

No other team seems to be biting on that price tag so who knows if it will come down.

Haha! He also doesn't get 15 sacks a year. I thot the Raiders had a golden opportunity to offer 1s for both Fitzpatrick and Ramsey and presto! have a top notch secondary. But no matter how good a secondary's skills are, they can't cover people forever and without a pass rush Fitzpatrick and Ramsey are mere mortals. I'll leave the rest unsaid...

No shame losing to the Chiefs and Vikings (tho I remember when we used to beat the Vikes 32-14) but it looks like they're coming home 1-6. This team, obviously, has a loooooooong way to go to be regularly competitive on the road.
It's because we lost AB.  He was the difference maker.  This team would be 3-0 if he was still here.  

Well that wasn't good.

Not happy at all with Carr's play today.  Refuses to throw the ball down the field.  Steps up into and creates sacks at times.  Poor throws when he finally does decide to push it down the field.  Another bad interception.

Well that wasn't good.

Not happy at all with Carr's play today.  Refuses to throw the ball down the field.  Steps up into and creates sacks at times.  Poor throws when he finally does decide to push it down the field.  Another bad interception.
Carr and Kolton Miller both regressed today. Not a great game for the offense at all.

Our LBs look solid, we can't sustain good defensive stops though, and are still really susceptible to the long ball. Conley has been up and down the entire time, but is more down than up this game.

On to IND. They are a tough, gritty team and we're definitely going to be big road dogs, but want to see this team fight back and win a game that is more winnable than many on our long stretch this year. Need something for this team to coalesce around and fight for.

- Refs never do the Raiders any favors; and often do them dirty - the league the same

- Carr is only good with a dominant OL and above average RB/WR; otherwise, he's the same pumpkin Jeff George was - been saying this for YEARS

- A generation of kids have now grown up laughing at the Raiders and they now play for them; it shows every time the chips start to get down and as soon as one of them leaves for greener pastures

- Tony Clown did a psychological number on this team. They rode a defiant emotional high through Denver, but now that that schedule has turned rougher, they seem to be folding quickly

- Grusome may have lost the locker room based on the last point, combined with his knock on wood schtick. Knock your wood if you're with me

- Refs never do the Raiders any favors; and often do them dirty - the league the same

- Carr is only good with a dominant OL and above average RB/WR; otherwise, he's the same pumpkin Jeff George was - been saying this for YEARS

- A generation of kids have now grown up laughing at the Raiders and they now play for them; it shows every time the chips start to get down and as soon as one of them leaves for greener pastures

- Tony Clown did a psychological number on this team. They rode a defiant emotional high through Denver, but now that that schedule has turned rougher, they seem to be folding quickly

- Grusome may have lost the locker room based on the last point, combined with his knock on wood schtick. Knock your wood if you're with me
To your first statement, kicking a rebuilding franchise while they're down is pretty messed up. Giving them the hardest schedule by far in the league, with the most travel miles just doesn't seem right. You can spin it anyway you want, but this organization is still paying for Al Davis' desire to sue his fellow owners. Even though a lot of them have passed on by now, they must have left explicit instructions in their wills, to always make sure to screw the Raiders. 

My random thoughts on the game and Raiders after 3 weeks:

• I'll put aside my rose coloured glasses for a moment here, I'm not going to defend Gruden and Carr until I'm blue in the face as I may have in the past. But we are just 3 weeks into a pretty difficult schedule and I'm not going to throw either of them under the bus.   Instead I'll be happy to have both on the team.   For those wanting to complain about the two of them and their bumps I'd ask you to do two things... 1.  Give your head a shake.  The next Sean McVay or the next Patrick Mahomes is NOT walking through the door as their replacements.   2.  Take a moment to stroll down memory lane to remind yourself what we have lived through... Wasn't that long ago that we had the combo's of Dennis Allen/T. Pryor, or Hue Jackson/Palmer, how about Cable/Russell, or better yet... how about Art Shell and Andrew Walter.  
  • The Raiders desperately need a WR2 to emerge for this team.   You cannot succeed into todays NFL with only one true NFL WR.   The risk of Brown is well documented.   Having him on the field would have been transformational for this offence.  It wasn't the loss of Brown that was the problem, it was not having a back up plan in place for the inevitable. 
  • Thank the Lord, or whomever you look to in times of need, for Waller.   Wow.  What a find by Gruden.   If you haven't seen it yet, go look up the route patterns he ran in yesterdays game.  Amazing skillset and use in the offence. 
More specific thoughts to yesterdays game:

• Worley had an uncharacteristically poor game.  Seemed to be a step behind a few times in key plays and un-opportune times for the Raiders.
  • Conley held Diggs to 3-15.   (3-30 yards if you add in the face mask penalty - which I think was a.) by accident, and b.) a saviour from a long TD scamper)
  • Riley was out played, out of position, and more harmful to the D then good yesterday.
  • Loved the hustle from Erik Harris on both special teams, and the tackle of Cook near the goal line.   
  • The LB core with in game injuries both Burfict (came back later in the game) and Lee (did not return) were huge.   Wilber played decent in replacement.  But facing Cook,  was no small task.  Losing two key contributors at the LB position was a massive blow. 
  • Not sure anybody else felt like a Carlson miss was just meant to happen in front of the team/crowd that cut him.  Happy it didn't affect the outcome of the game.  Hopefully he moves past it and returns to the Carlson we've seen since acquiring him.
  • The Vikings did a very good job up front, on both Offence and Defence in controlling both lines.   4 sacks of Carr (two were more play break downs than anything else), and a controlled running game by the Vikes really tell the story of this game.
  • The Raiders offence as a whole never got into a rhythym - which I think is exceptionally important for both Carr and Gruden.  Carr needs to get into that rhytym to keep his mind in the game, and Gruden's play calling can't survive 3 and outs.   
  • Josh Jacobs illness seemed to hamper both his performance and the Raiders ability to get anything going.   He was constantly put in or pulled out to try to keep him fresh for the entire game. 
  • I loved the play by Clelin where he nearly had the interception.  Great awareness by the rookie to realize the play was a screen and to get his hands on that pass.   We haven't seen that awareness at the Raiders DE position for a while now.
  • A Ryan Grant healthy coaches decision game time inactive is interesting.   A ploy to motivate him? or a sign that the team is moving on after a tough 2nd week outing?
  • I don't know enough of the Vikings secondary to know if they shut the Raiders WR group down, if it was an afternoon of poor matchups, if it was bad play calling,  poor execution, or all of the above... but collectively the WR group had 93 yards receiving.   That's not going to win any games, regardless of the opponent. 
On to the next one.   Another travel day for the Raiders as they head to Indy.   

• The Raiders desperately need a WR2 to emerge for this team.   You cannot succeed into todays NFL within only one true NFL WR.   The risk of Brown is well documented.   Having him on the field would have been transformational for this offence.  It wasn't the loss of Brown that was the problem, it was not having a back up plan in place for the inevitable. 
  • A Ryan Grant healthy coaches decision game time inactive is interesting.   A ploy to motivate him? or a sign that the team is moving on after a tough 2nd week outing?
Yes...loosing AB really hurt. They had to let him go though.  Very sad AB is who he is. Always hate to see incredible talent waste away.  At this point I wouldn't mind seeing them give Dez Bryant a shot. Let's face it - Nelson or Grant (didn't like that signing) are not #2's, Renfrow needs time to develop before he makes any real impact.  Most likely same with Doss. At least getting Bryant would give him an experienced player to throw too, provided he has anything left. Of course... after the AB fiasco would they want to take on Dez. Who knows, perhaps one year out of football matured him....

• Riley was out played, out of position, and more harmful to the D then good yesterday.
TJ McDonald is still out there.  Doesn't cost a pick.

• The LB core with in game injuries both Burfict (came back later in the game) and Lee (did not return) were huge.   Wilber played decent in replacement.  But facing Cook,  was no small task.  Losing two key contributors at the LB position was a massive blow. 
LB core very sad situation and has been for years. 

Have supported Carr in the past but getting sooo tired of those INT's. Chicago may be open to a trade ...

There is one thing about this team that is beyond frustrating. And it's been an on going problem for years. 3rd down! On both offense and defense. Its drives me crazy to watch the defense hold on first and second downs, then on 3rd downs just flat out get out coached and/or played. Happens every week. Same for the offense. When they need a long drive or just establish some sort of offense, they sputter. The good offenses go out and score points when the defense gives up points. This O the past 2 weeks can't even get out of their own way. I'm not going to bash the coaches or players, or analyze everything (you guys do a great job of that already), but it's clear this is a team still rebuilding and trying to find its identity. And lacks depth in multiple positions. All I can do is hope the young core players on the roster hold it together and get better as the season wears on.

There is one thing about this team that is beyond frustrating. And it's been an on going problem for years. 3rd down! On both offense and defense. Its drives me crazy to watch the defense hold on first and second downs, then on 3rd downs just flat out get out coached and/or played. Happens every week. Same for the offense. When they need a long drive or just establish some sort of offense, they sputter. The good offenses go out and score points when the defense gives up points. This O the past 2 weeks can't even get out of their own way. I'm not going to bash the coaches or players, or analyze everything (you guys do a great job of that already), but it's clear this is a team still rebuilding and trying to find its identity. And lacks depth in multiple positions. All I can do is hope the young core players on the roster hold it together and get better as the season wears on.
:goodposting:

Our 3rd an long defense is a sieve, and has been for a decade. Whatever scheme they are using simply doesn't work -- we let receivers get behind the secondary, or have break down in coverage, or worst yet, simply poor tackling that lets a guy move the chains. 

Converting 3rd and long on offense is always hard, but that's not the sole problem -- it's not putting ourselves in good down and distance situations in the first two downs. Some of this is playcall, some on Carr, some on not having as solid of a WR corps with defined roles and steady production. But we seem to have enough in Jacobs, Waller, and Williams to help soften middles. Gruden & Co need to structure play-calling in a way to avoid 3rd and long better.

• I'll put aside my rose coloured glasses for a moment here, I'm not going to defend Gruden and Carr until I'm blue in the face as I may have in the past. But we are just 3 weeks into a pretty difficult schedule and I'm not going to throw either of them under the bus.   Instead I'll be happy to have both on the team.   For those wanting to complain about the two of them and their bumps I'd ask you to do two things... 1.  Give your head a shake.  The next Sean McVay or the next Patrick Mahomes is NOT walking through the door as their replacements.   2.  Take a moment to stroll down memory lane to remind yourself what we have lived through... Wasn't that long ago that we had the combo's of Dennis Allen/T. Pryor, or Hue Jackson/Palmer, how about Cable/Russell, or better yet... how about Art Shell and Andrew Walter.  
For this year Carr is definitely the best option at QB, however, I would put the chances of him making it to Vegas at less than 50%.

Michael Crabtree was/is being released from the Cardinals.  I'd be ok with the Raiders adding him back to the mix.  Familiar with Carr... Can't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread