What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2019 Oakland (?) Raiders Thread (3 Viewers)

It is interesting reading the Bears thread about Mack. Not a game changer for them because he's constantly triple teamed. Teams can afford to key on him because the rest of the line is nothing to write home about but his 13mil a year makes it difficult to bring in any surrounding talent.

Just saying

Yahoo claiming Washington and Richard are on the block. Not sure they'll get too much interest but Washington put up huge numbers for Kingbury at Texas Tech so is well versed in the air raid scheme. Given their injuries at RB in Arizona it seems like a perfect fit but given their record doesn't seem to make sense to use any draft capital for him either.

It is interesting reading the Bears thread about Mack. Not a game changer for them because he's constantly triple teamed. Teams can afford to key on him because the rest of the line is nothing to write home about but his 13mil a year makes it difficult to bring in any surrounding talent.

Just saying
Fans are fans and many fans don't care to actually put time into knowing the game or understanding it to have a worthwhile opinion. The same idiots saying Mack isn't a game changer are the ones that ran out and bought his jersey when we traded him and crowed about how they were going to the Superbowl. 

Hicks was a huge and underrated piece to that defense. People who don't know football but like an excuse to drink beer and talk about how someone is a bum (though that someone is 1,000 times better at doing what they may struggle doing on the professional level than the idiot fan could be playing a pick up game with other morons) just look at the sexy positions that get the numbers and where they send the end result (sack, INT, forced fumble, etc). Losing him was huge, in fact, the only other player that would hurt more if they lost would be Mack. 

On top of that, Nagy doesn't like to run the ball- though it looks like someone got to him finally and he did do more of it against the Chargers. So, he is putting an offense that is not nearly as talented as what he had in KC, putting the game in the hands of a QB that is not NFL franchise material (He screams career backup to me) and then wondering why they are not doing anything. 3 and out or sputtering in the red zone puts a hell of a lot of pressure on the D. If teams can, and do, run on them- their D isn't equipped to hold up against it. If they get ahead and teams need to try to come back, then that D- lead by Mack, can destroy most NFL offenses. 

If your front 3 in the 3-4 can not hold up, your LB's are going to be neutralized in the run game. It is just how it goes. Hicks made a difference. They have no other talent on that front 3. The team isn't built right. That is what it comes down to. The NFL isn't fantasy football. You can not just grab a guy, plug him in and gain his fantasy stats to add to the other guys. You have to have a scheme that works and it needs to be built together. Offense and Defense. You need guys that fit roles and do what you need them to do in the scheme. 

Just look at when we had Mack. He was a difference maker. But this is a team sport. You can't have one difference maker and 10 others guy one the field. You can't have coaching that forces something the coach wants to do and ignores the reality of the roster. That is what I have been LOVING about Gruden this year. He has taken some curve balls and adjusted... ok, if you aren't going to throw me a fast ball, I will get ready to hit that fast ball! 

Yahoo claiming Washington and Richard are on the block. Not sure they'll get too much interest but Washington put up huge numbers for Kingbury at Texas Tech so is well versed in the air raid scheme. Given their injuries at RB in Arizona it seems like a perfect fit but given their record doesn't seem to make sense to use any draft capital for him either.
The Cards did what everyone else has done this year and picked the carcass of the Dolphins for any talent. Drake heading to the desert. 

FYI- I believe we are sitting just outside the top 10 for picks on both ours and the Bears selections as things stand currently. I believe right about 11-14 range for both. 

A lot to be encouraged about yesterday. Moral victories suck in place of the real ones but you can see things coming together.

Really impressed with Carr. He stands tall in the pocket most of the time. Still makes an ill-advised throw every now and then but I think he's putting to rest any questions whether he's the guy.

And that's good news. Means the Raiders can spend the money and draft choices to fix that leaky D.

Real shame about yesterday.  They seemed to be in control for most of the game but for Watson (he was in the grasp, amirite?) performing a miracle it would have been a win.  With just a little more juice on D and I think this team can contend.

Still smarting from the loss. It was a game we could have won if:

1. Our old nemesis -- the yellow laundry -- didn't rear its ugly head. 11 flags, 100 yards. Without that discipline, there a few that I believe would have swung the game more in our favor if not put us in a winning position, including:

Joseph's facemask call on Fells, tacking on 15 yards and putting HOU on our 18, setting them up to tie the game early.
  2. Refrow's pick negating Waller's 30 yard gain, forcing us to punt instead of likely hitting a FG
  3. Mad Maxx's facemask after we stuffed Hyde, leading directly to a HOU FG cutting our lead 14-10 late in the half, with the Texans getting the ball back in the 3rd
  4. Mad Maxx roughing the passer (a completely bogus call) getting them into our territory. We fell apart at that point on that drive, helping the Texans on their game-winning drive
  5. Incognito holding, negating a Jacbos run down to the 33 and potentially a tying FG, to our own 45 on a 2nd and 20.

[*]  Not finishing tackles. This was especially apparent in the second half when we started to get tired, allowing Houston to convert and move the chains, as well as allowing Watson to escape and score (though debatable how preventable that was, Watson pulled off a move that not many QBs could do in that same situation in the grasp).

That said, I don't think anyone chalked this game up as one we would win. We played hard and looked competitive against one of the leading teams in the AFC. We looked good under fire and once again played up to our opponents.

But can't shake the fact that that game was so meaningful in terms of potential wildcard situations, and to come that close stings.

We have a tough game coming up next against DET. Then some theoretically easier games at home against the Chargers and Bengals, then @ the Jets. We should come out of it at least 5-6, and possibly 6-5. Being generally around .500 at this point in the season is a huge win for this team, IMHO.

PS, get well, Rodney.

PPS, as much as I wish Conley well (once a Raider, always a Raider), glad to see him blowing coverage for another team instead of us. 

Robby Anderson getting a lot of buzz with us making an effort to bring in. I wonder if he is a Tyrell Williams clone... not that that is bad at all. I think it would open up the passing game to have him there and I bet Gruden would put in some T. Hill type plays for him to try to really stretch out the field, creat bigger plays and loosen things up for Williams and Waller. I sm game to give them the 3rd we got from the Texans for Conley as top end.... even with the really bad track record of sending thirds for WR's but at least it isn't the Steelers. Ammirit?

There's definitely a different vibe to this team. Focusing on the positive, the offense is really starting to create its identity. Carr looking very Gannon-like which is a good thing. High comp % and low yards (in today's NFL standards) is typical of Gruden's offense in the past. 

The Oline is keeping Carr clean for the most part and giving Jacobs plenty of room to make his one cut and go. 

I'm noticing the Raiders are no longer being talked about as one of the worst teams in the league. They're really not being talked about at all, which is good. Keep it all under the radar for all I care. They are a 7-9 to 9-7 team, without a WR1 and still a very suspect D. Their 2 first round picks look like they are going to be early mid 1st rounders which hopefully means they can land a top corner and a top WR. Or maybe they package them to move up for Chase Daniels for that edge pressure they still sorely need.

Chadstroma said:
FYI- I believe we are sitting just outside the top 10 for picks on both ours and the Bears selections as things stand currently. I believe right about 11-14 range for both. 
Bang on by my tracking ... 

Pittsburgh/Oakland/Chicago all have the same record.  Those 3 picks land in spots 11, 12, and 13.  I don't recall the tie break rules before it gets to a coin toss.  But that Pittsburgh pick is currently owned by Miami.

kaso said:
Bang on by my tracking ... 

Pittsburgh/Oakland/Chicago all have the same record.  Those 3 picks land in spots 11, 12, and 13.  I don't recall the tie break rules before it gets to a coin toss.  But that Pittsburgh pick is currently owned by Miami.
Tie-breaker for draft position is opponent win percentage.  If still tied, division/conference tie-breakers apply.  Then coin flip.  Way too complex to predict before about week 15

Signed DT Terrell McClain, LB Will Compton snd C Erik Magnuson. 

Cut DT Corey Liuget, DT Kasim Edabali and LB Dakota Allen. 

This is the best I've felt about their chances since Week 1. Vegas doesn't really know how to handicap this team and that's understandable. I read where it was a pick-em game at beginning of the week with the Raiders now favored by 2.5 to 3. I don't think that's enough.

Raiders 31, Lions 24.

This is the best I've felt about their chances since Week 1. Vegas doesn't really know how to handicap this team and that's understandable. I read where it was a pick-em game at beginning of the week with the Raiders now favored by 2.5 to 3. I don't think that's enough.

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
Agreed in all counts.

Of course I also wouldn't be surprised by anything from Raiders 51 Lions 13 to Lions 45 Raiders 3

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
BOOYAKASHA!!! Nailed it bruv!

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
Whoa, nice call :thumbup:

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
Dude.

Raiders: RT Trent Brown hurt his knee on the opening drive. He tried to come back on the second drive before leaving once again and not returning.

With Hudson out to, it seems we can't get that starting line to play all together but we have been able to keep it together with the backups coming in. 

Raiders: RT Trent Brown hurt his knee on the opening drive. He tried to come back on the second drive before leaving once again and not returning.

With Hudson out to, it seems we can't get that starting line to play all together but we have been able to keep it together with the backups coming in. 
Yeah. The oline has been so damn impressive with all the injuries, suspensions, etc. 

i couldn’t be happier to see a rookie tackle come in to play center and I don’t think I heard his name called once (which is a huge positive). 
Such an exciting win. This team really does have some nice building blocks. 

except...yeah, the defense still needs help. 

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
Ha! Nothing but net. Well played!

Yeah. The oline has been so damn impressive with all the injuries, suspensions, etc. 

i couldn’t be happier to see a rookie tackle come in to play center and I don’t think I heard his name called once (which is a huge positive). 
Such an exciting win. This team really does have some nice building blocks. 

except...yeah, the defense still needs help. 

I am enjoying my fourth helping of crow this season.   It may taste better than the last serving.   I'm still slightly surprised and quite impressed at how well Gruden has the whole team playing.   The O needs a true WR1 to be great but is really playing at a winning level.   The D is shaky, and as we all know, needs to be the focus of the offseason.   We need a true pass rushing DE and LBs

What has happened to Cable to get the Oline humming in this manor?
I think Cable has always been a good O-line coach.  For the most part he didn't have a ton of talent to work with in Seattle and now that he does, along with Gruden coaching Carr phenomenally well about getting rid of the ball quickly (something that we aren't talking about enough BTW) has resulted in Carr's jersey remaining clean and a productive running game.

I know the team record does not reflect it but Carr has been playing incredibly well over the past two years.

He's looking like the top 10, or better, QB that we thought he was going to be back in 2015-2016.  Honestly, but for the disaster that was 2017, Carr has been a very good QB and he may be taking that next step.

Raiders 31, Lions 24.
Well done, Ed!!! 

Pleased by the great win on the road.   Relatively quiet day for Waller, but the offense kept humming along.   

Raiders 31, Lions 24.

That was an incredible prediction 

Whoa, nice call :thumbup:

Ha! Nothing but net. Well played!

Well done, Ed!!! 

Pleased by the great win on the road.   Relatively quiet day for Waller, but the offense kept humming along.   
Thanks, all. I'm so often wrong I'll gladly bask in the sun of one I got right. 😎

I've never had an issue with the Cooper trade. I'm glad we aren't tied to him long term. I've never thought of him as a dominant WR1 who could take over the game by himself. Too many drops, too many injuries. 

What has happened to Cable to get the Oline humming in this manor?
I am willing to give Cable some credit, but I honestly believe the improvement is more on the players than the coach.

@Chaka has a great point about Carr's release, and he's clearly been super efficient this year. Miller has taken a huge step, and Incognito brings both stability and some nastiness.

Honestly I think the biggest difference is Trent Brown. The guy is a full-blown monster of a man, and just swallows up anyone against him, including all-pro future HOFers (Watt was a great example).

He makes a gigantic difference in both pocket protection and road-grading run blocking. 

Users who are viewing this thread