What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dwayne Haskins - 04.09.2022 - struck by car and killed (2 Viewers)

Washington QB Dwayne Haskins threw for 177 yards and a touchdown against the Eagles in Week 1. 

Haskins completed 17 of his 31 attempts in an ultra-conservative Washington offensive attack. His lone touchdown was to TE Logan Thomas, who continually found soft spots in the Philadelphia secondary. Haskins will square off against the Cardinals in Week 2. He remains a borderline option in two-QB and superflex leagues. 

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Very up and down game for him. Had a few nice throws, and a few awful ones. But at least he didn't turn the ball over. Hope better showings are ahead! 

MMQB: Dwayne Haskins Is Responding to Ron Rivera's Challenge

Excerpts:

Ron Rivera had part of his halftime routine worked out pregame. Regardless of how the first half went, he, the team doctors and head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion would get the team’s first-year coach an IV once everyone got settled in the locker room, a measure he’d take to deal with the effects of his ongoing battle with squamous cell cancer.

But he knew there would be loose ends he’d have to deal with after kickoff, and one was what football circumstance his group would be in after 30 minutes.

Turns out, it wasn’t an overly great one. Early on, the Eagles had their way with Washington, scoring twice before the hosts got their second first down and racing to a 17–0 lead. And while Rivera’s group rallied to gain some momentum late in the half, it still faced a 10-point deficit against a defending division champion that carries a good handful of core players from the Super Bowl champion team of three years ago.

So Rivera, before getting hooked up to that IV, pulled aside senior director of player development Malcolm Blacken.

“I leaned over to Malcom and I said, Hey get somebody to step up now,” Rivera recounted on Sunday night as he drove home from FedEx Field. “We needed somebody to step up through halftime.”

Rivera retreated to get his treatment—and listened for noise coming from the locker room.

“And there’s a high-pitched voice just going at it, going at it,” Rivera continued. “And they told me it was Dwayne Haskins. He’d challenged the team.”

As it turned out, no one told Haskins he had to do anything. But over the last six months, Rivera has challenged him to lead, and mostly Rivera wanted that to happen by example. He’s since seen it from his 22-year-old quarterback, who’s done it by losing weight, getting in his playbook and organizing workouts with young receivers locally when COVID-19 claimed all the spring field work he’d have gotten in a normal year.

But this was the next step, and it was happening as it should—naturally.

Haskins had answered Rivera’s challenge and now was ready to issue his own.

“It was kind of cool to see that he was the one that did it,” Rivera said. “Honestly, I couldn't hear it. I just know it was pretty fiery and he was challenging everybody.”

The newly named Washington Football Team answered that challenge resoundingly. And after a tsunami of an offseason, the team also showed calmer waters could be closer than most think.

Here’s what happened on Sunday—two teams came out of the gate like everyone thought they would at FedEx Field.

Rivera’s crew was thoroughly outclassed through 22 minutes. Washington had one first down and just three positive gains on offense in the first quarter, and the defense might’ve been worse. Carson Wentz’s over-the-shoulder 34-yard touchdown pass to Dallas Goedert put his stat line at 12-of-16 for 174 yards and two touchdowns, and the score at 17-0. That’s just when Washington’s resilience showed up.

“What's kind of interesting was I looked around and I realized nobody was panicking,” Rivera said. “Really, honestly, nobody was screaming or pointing fingers or MFing anybody. They were all just like, 'OK what's going on? Let's settle down. Let's calm down.’ So I just got on the headset and I just said, 'Hey fellas, we don't have a 17-point play. So why don't we just take it one play at a time and see what happens. Let's get back to the basics.’”

Offensive coordinator Scott Turner simplified his plan, and Haskins was reminded of a message Rivera had been giving him.

He may have been 1-of-6 for 16 yards headed into the team’s fourth offensive possession, but he was making good decisions. “I always tell him about incompletions, if you’re throwing the ball to the right place, that’s the first step,” Rivera said. Haskins was going where he was supposed to with the ball, he just needed the execution to catch up with everything else. And soon enough, it would.

It's pretty clear that Rivera is being extra conservative in order to work around Haskins' deficiencies. They are not going to open

They didn't make a mistake taking Chase Young...but they are going to have draft a QB next year. Haskins isn't the answer. In today's NFL, if your QB can't throw 100 yards in a half...you aren't going to win. period. 

They didn't make a mistake taking Chase Young...but they are going to have draft a QB next year. Haskins isn't the answer. In today's NFL, if your QB can't throw 100 yards in a half...you aren't going to win. period. 
I admire the tenacity in posting the same comment in three separate threads, but could you please tell me your opinion of QBs who throw for less than 100 yards in a half?

Oof. Haskins looked bad last week. I think we see Smith sooner rather than later. This is such a weak division, this NFC East. Anything is possible for the Football Team with competent QB play. 

Chris Cooley sucks as an announcer for The Football Team. Nobody likes him. Dwayne Haskins definitely doesn't like him. 

Haskins might suck, but Cooley says it's his mechanics. I don't agree. Accuracy has not been the problem. He's indecisive and goes through progessions slow. Being immobile, he needs to manage the pocket, which he hasn't been doing. All this adds to a lot of sacks and pressured throws.

I will say this, Haskins has done noticely better in the second half of each game. Maybe game plan adjustments or coaching has helped, but it's encouraging he can improve on these things. His receivers haven't helped him either, they are terrible dropping passes and just being overall useless. The Football team may as well leave him in there, perhaps he gets better. They aren't going anywhere with Alex Smith either so what difference does it make?

Chris Cooley sucks as an announcer for The Football Team. Nobody likes him. Dwayne Haskins definitely doesn't like him. 

Haskins might suck, but Cooley says it's his mechanics. I don't agree. Accuracy has not been the problem. He's indecisive and goes through progessions slow. Being immobile, he needs to manage the pocket, which he hasn't been doing. All this adds to a lot of sacks and pressured throws.

I will say this, Haskins has done noticely better in the second half of each game. Maybe game plan adjustments or coaching has helped, but it's encouraging he can improve on these things. His receivers haven't helped him either, they are terrible dropping passes and just being overall useless. The Football team may as well leave him in there, perhaps he gets better. They aren't going anywhere with Alex Smith either so what difference does it make?
I kind of get your point but then again not so sure. If Smith can return to even the same level of play as he did before, he's not turn over prone, and he might be able to spark the offense. The defense is going to keep them in games and their division is awful....

I kind of get your point but then again not so sure. If Smith can return to even the same level of play as he did before, he's not turn over prone, and he might be able to spark the offense. The defense is going to keep them in games and their division is awful....
Haskins hasn't been turnover prone either, one fumble. And his ypa of 6-something is about what you'd get from Smith.

Haskins hasn't been turnover prone either, one fumble. And his ypa of 6-something is about what you'd get from Smith.
Well in KC he did have a season where he was chucking it all over the field and IIRC led the league for longest completion average...of course, they had multiple good weapons and we have Terry. 

Second-year breakout watch: 5 players who look set for a breakout year, 5 players who have taken a step back

QB Dwayne Haskins, Washington Football Team

Instead of taking a step forward from the 67.0 passing grade he earned as a rookie, Haskins has taken a step back. Through two weeks, the Washington signal-caller has earned the second-lowest passing grade in the NFL, at 47.8. And while he's taken great care of the ball once again — his 1.9% turnover-worthy play rate ranked fourth in the NFL last year, while his mark of 1.3% ranks sixth in 2020 — the accuracy has been really concerning.

Haskins has thrown just four accurate passes beyond 10 yards downfield this year, while he already has 10 completely uncatchable throws at the same depth. This was an issue last season, too, as he had the fifth-worst accuracy rate on such throws.

Haskins currently ranks second-to-last in negatively graded throw rate and last in positively graded throw rate. And while he has had to throw into a tight window at a high rate, he's still not even hitting open receivers downfield. So far, Haskins has thrown just three accurate 10-plus-yard passes to receivers with a step of separation — he's attempted 12 such passes.

I would begin taking a peek at the 2021 quarterback class if I were Washington.

Dwayne Haskins completed 21-of-37 passes for 224 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions in Washington's 34-20 Week 3 loss to the Browns. 

Haskins hung tough in the pocket throughout the game and forced the ball into tight coverage, resulting in the trio of picks. Washington might have made it close in the fourth quarter if not for Haskins' turnovers on Washington's side of the field. Haskins is nothing more than a low-end superflex start next week against Baltimore. 

Sep 27, 2020, 5:19 PM ET

Washington head coach Ron Rivera said "there is a cutoff point for me" in waiting for QB Dwayne Haskins to improve. 

Rivera reportedly said the Football Team's offensive players "deserve better" from the quarterback. It's a stinging critique of Haskins after his disastrous Week 3 performance against the Browns in which he completed 21-of-37 passes for 224 yards, two touchdowns, and three interceptions. Outside of the team's scripted plays to start the game, Haskins appears lost, often locking in on one receiver and forcing the ball into tight coverage.
https://twitter.com/Sam4TR/status/1310586063983988737

Dwayne Haskins completed 32-of-45 passes for 313 yards in Washington's Week 4 loss to the Ravens, adding three rushes for three yards and a touchdown. 

Haskins got his first 300-yard game in a pass-heavy second half that found Washington down multiple scores. The Football Team was intent on getting the ball out of Haskins' hand to avoid Baltimore's pass rush. It worked for the most part but it left Washington dinking and dunking their way down the field when they needed big plays and points. He hit Terry McLaurin on a deep pass with the clock dwindling in the fourth quarter. Haskins will be a low-ceiling Week 5 superflex option against the Rams. 

- Rotoworld

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Dwayne Haskins won't start Week 5 against the Rams.

The benching comes after Ron Rivera said Haskins needed to "improve greatly" to remain the starter. Haskins responded with his first 300-yard game, but it wasn't enough to keep the job. Washington will turn to Kyle Allen, with Alex Smith taking over the backup role. Haskins could get another look later this season if Washington falls out of playoff contention. 

- NFL Network
How Daniel Jones still is starting despite playing worse is beyond me. In the long run this will benefit Haskins, who every analyst pretty much stated he needed to redshirt a year anyway. The timing of this is interesting thought...

It's all about how Haskins reacts.  He can improve from the sidelines provided he puts in the extra work.  I think he needs some side training on footwork and pre-snap reads.  There were a lot of times he threw early.  Usually meaning his reads were wrong or he didn't get them out of a bad play.  And with his lack of footwork he has to make the right reads.  Hopefully he takes it the right way and gets to work on his deficiencies. 

How Daniel Jones still is starting despite playing worse is beyond me. In the long run this will benefit Haskins, who every analyst pretty much stated he needed to redshirt a year anyway. The timing of this is interesting thought...
Uh... it’s over. Alex Smith is the only 1st round QB I can think of who was benched and still had a career over the long run. Tommy Maddox did too but after several years out of the league. 

Pretty clear that Ron Rivera and company are out of the Dwayne Haskins business.  

Given how enamored the Washington Football Team is with Ohio State players,  they'll probably move to draft Justin Fields in 2021.  

Uh... it’s over. Alex Smith is the only 1st round QB I can think of who was benched and still had a career over the long run. Tommy Maddox did too but after several years out of the league. 
Ya I'm not sure where he can go from here.  Seems like they really are going for a high draft pick to restart the franchise with a new name and qb for 2021. 

Maybe Blaine Gabbert? He's still hanging around.

Before that.....Trent Dilfer?

Users who are viewing this thread