What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timeout before field goal (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
I think it's BS to call a timeout right before a field goal attempt .  Bears make a field goal but philly called a TO.  Then Bears missed the second attempt and Philly wins. Nothing against the Eagles or for the Bears I just dislike this strategy. Essentially forcing the team to make two field goals in a row. Not sure what can be done to correct the problem. 

Thoughts?

I think it's BS to call a timeout right before a field goal attempt .  Bears make a field goal but philly called a TO.  Then Bears missed the second attempt and Philly wins. Nothing against the Eagles or for the Bears I just dislike this strategy. Essentially forcing the team to make two field goals in a row. Not sure what can be done to correct the problem. 

Thoughts?
No different than calling a timeout before a guy shoots free throws in basketball. 

Or any different than a batter calling timeout in the batters box before the pitcher gets into his windup. 

it's part of the game. I dont particularly like it tbh but kickers should know this is coming anyways if the opposing team has a time out. they should take longer to snap the ball and force the coach to call a timeout before he kicks

Last edited by a moderator:

Thoughts?
This isn't true.

it’s one of the dumbest things in all of sports. 

i’d be interested to see the actual data on it, i doubt it’s an effective strategy.  

it’s one of the dumbest things in all of sports. 

i’d be interested to see the actual data on it, i doubt it’s an effective strategy.  
Anecdotal but I agree with you that it's not an effective strategy.  However as I was explaining to my family that its probably not going to work Parkey  DOIINKED  the field goal on the second attempt.  Giving further credence that it forces PK ro.make 2 kicks. 

Sure it is

In a loud stadium with a few seconds left the ball is snapped. The kicker can either not kick the ball because he thinks he hears a whistle coming from the sideline official or he can kick it just in case 

What are you going to choose?
So what happens if he missed the first?

From the kickers POV he has to make both because he doesn't know if they're going to call a TO or not.
If he’s that sensitive after kicking field goals probably his entire life then he should give his check back and retire. It’s not like it was a 65 yd attempt. He should have made it regardless. 

Tex

Thoughts?
Did anyone actually check the replay to ensure it was called in time?

But he doesn't have to make the first attempt.  He ONLY has to make the 2nd.  It's backfired probably as much as its worked.
From my memory, this is the first time the TO worked in favor of the defense, However, the kicker doesn't know whether he can miss the first kick with impunity because he doent know if the TO is going f to be called..  forcing him to make 2 kicks.

Plus you're giving him a practice shot if you call TO.  From that exact spot of the field under the actual game conditions.
True.  We've probably seen the kicker miss the 1st attempt only to hit the 2nd just as much as what happened tonight.  I'd guess most times the kicker makes both though - especially from that distance.

From my memory, this is the first time the TO worked in favor of the defense, However, the kicker doesn't know whether he can miss the first kick with impunity because he doent know if the TO is going f to be called..  forcing him to make 2 kicks.
You're essentially forcing him to *attempt* 2 FGs - he only has to make the one that counts.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Sure it is

In a loud stadium with a few seconds left the ball is snapped. The kicker can either not kick the ball because he thinks he hears a whistle coming from the sideline official or he can kick it just in case 

What are you going to choose?
It was in Chicago, and the crowd was not roaring before he kicked his first try. The whistle was blown before it was snapped, and it looked like a practice try.  I don't see anything wrong with icing a kicker. Sometimes the strategy works, and sometimes it doesn't. I remember when Dallas unintentionally iced their own kicker.

Plus you're giving him a practice shot if you call TO.  From that exact spot of the field under the actual game conditions.
I see this argument  for sure.  But Foles didn't have to throw 2 TD passes on 4rh down to score the go ahead TD.  The FG attempt is a unique situation IMO.

It's been part of the game for years. Kickers should practice this scenario as much as they practice on-side kicks or any other special situation.

I agree with OP.  No skin in this particular game.  Could care less.

I think the solution is the timeout has to be called before the kicker lines up the 1st kick.  Maybe the kicker has to give a sign for that to happen since they all have their own routines.  But there needs to be some way.

Not only because the icing comes late at times, but because the kicker often sneaks in a practice try - like in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're essentially forcing him to *attempt* 2 FGs - he only has to make the one that counts.
It looks like I'm in the minority on this based on all the responses which is fine, but what you said is why i disliked rhis strategy. Again, nothing to do with the two teams involved.  However the PK doesn't know if the TO is going to be called right before the first  kick.  So from his POV  he has to mentally prepared to make 2 kicks in a row.  No other football play requires it 2 happen 2 consecutive times.

It looks like I'm in the minority on this based on all the responses which is fine, but what you said is why i disliked rhis strategy. Again, nothing to do with the two teams involved.  However the PK doesn't know if the TO is going to be called right before the first  kick.  So from his POV  he has to mentally prepared to make 2 kicks in a row.  No other football play requires it 2 happen 2 consecutive times.
Except QBs.

It was in Chicago, and the crowd was not roaring before he kicked his first try. The whistle was blown before it was snapped, and it looked like a practice try.  
This happens quite often.

Youre  just taking about today?

I'm curious if you also take exception when teams intentionally jump offsides on field goals....like the Steelers did earlier in the year three times vs. the Chargers?

i haven't seen the stats for a few years, but they always indicated that there is no statistically significant difference between icing or not.

I'm curious if you also take exception when teams intentionally jump offsides on field goals....like the Steelers did earlier in the year three times vs. the Chargers?
I don't take exeption to that but it was a ridiculously stupid strategyt if thst was the Steelers intention because that essentially gave the Chargers infinite atrwmpts.  Not apes to apes IMO.

I don't take exeption to that but it was a ridiculously stupid strategyt if thst was the Steelers intention because that essentially gave the Chargers infinite atrwmpts.  Not apes to apes IMO.
So...the Steelers employed a legal strategy that forced the Chargers' kicker to kick it 3 times.

How is it any different that the Eagles employ a legal strategy to force the Bears to kick it twice?

It is very much apples to apples.

So...the Steelers employed a legal strategy that forced the Chargers' kicker to kick it 3 times.

How is it any different that the Eagles employ a legal strategy to force the Bears to kick it twice?

It is very much apples to apples.
Disagree.  The Steelers strategy (if it was their strategy) was stupid because the Charger could decline the penalty after any successuful attempt.  The Bears could not decline the TO by PHI.   Not apples to apples

Love icing the kicker and pederson did a great job of it. If you call it to early then it doesn’t nothing but make the kicker wait. Pederson timed it perfect so that parkey has to kick and then it gets him really thinking. Now the post above maybe makes it so it wasn’t all Parkey missing by himself but a good strategy for teams and excellent execution by Pederson.

sidenote: not sure why teams don’t do this more often early in games. Maybe not early in the second half but in the first half I’d technically say timeouts aren’t as important since there is another half to be played. So if the opposing team is lining up for a 45+ yard FG why not try and ice them. If they make both oh well, but if they miss the second one then your gonna end up with solid field position and erase 3 points off the board. 

I’d like to see this timeout taken out of the coaches hand and maybe the rule is  player has to call the timeout on the field goal, you can still “ice” but it’s not anti entertainment 

"It's an unfair advantage to the kicking team because It gives the kicker a free opportunity to practice the kick"

I was afraid to go off the high dive, I'd stand up there looking down, freaked out. That went on all summer.

The next summer I decided I was going to do it,  so I got up that ladder as fast as I could ran and jumped.

Yep, then it was....this was nothing.

Gve anyone too much time to think about things when it comes to a game like football, not good.  Calling a time out makes perfect sense.

the Bears got a GIFT when the refs correctnyl decided to call an incomplete pass on what was a gamechanger fumble where no one picked up the ball..that really should've gone to the Eagles.

The Bears, as profootballfocus.com pointed out tonight, got extremely lucky that 2-3 of Trubisky's passes weren't intercepted. the one at the sideline, ones in the middle of the field that hit defenders in the hands and helmet, and dropped.one near the endzone. and a fumble/turnover where the ref picked up the ball. Bears got outfoxed by Schwartz.

it wasn't the kickers fault that they lost. they got lucky to be in that position in the first place!! 

take it as a positive.

Users who are viewing this thread