What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (6 Viewers)

yeah looking around the internet a few had him pretty high. i am all about admitting though that i have no clue when it comes to NFL draft anymore
I feel I know more about it now then before. What I mean by that in terms of prospects of what fits the Eagles at least and what doesn't. Your bias tends to lean on your own college you root for though at times but it's expected. However I don't pay attention to the media overhype of prospects for any draft anymore. They do it for the ratings during the draft anyway. 

Kapadia with some good analysis on the pick 

Sheil on JJAW

also 

What I wrote in my notes about JJ Arcega-Whiteside when I watched him: Best RZ receiver in draft. Defenses couldn’t cover him, drew a ton of PIs. Uses big body to shield defenders. Brings toughness/physicality. Assuming he would be an excellent ST player. Like him a lot.

Per Zach Berman

Arcega-Whiteside, 22, is a physical wide receiver who caught 63 passes for 1,059 yards and 14 TDs last season. He excels in jump ball situations and making contested catches. Arcega-Whiteside did not work out at the combine, but he had a 4.49-second 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.

Looking at social media with the Sanders pick the Local Homers seem to love the pick but most other people calling it a luxury pick would've rather went Safety/CB/LB?etc. I kind of agree given the lack of depth at those positions. 

Harris is a 1st down RB. We don’t need or want that. 

I love Henderson

Montgomery and Adderly’s speed worry me

Love probably won’t get drafted at all.  
Me too for obvious reasons but He's basically Jenkins can play safety move down and play the Slot. I'm more surprised how Love's stock dropped from being a 1st rounder to not being drafted. I would've love Bennie Snell though. Dude just has impressed me so much with what he's done and he did some work in the bowl game vs that PSU defense. Really great character guy and fun loving locker room guy. 

Also Miles Sanders pisses me off the same way as Shady did by running E-W instead of N-S and not hitting the holes. Jesus Shady really got me going there. Problem with Sanders is he doesn't have the burst Shady does to correct those. He really lacks patients hitting the holes he should. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Kaye

#Eagles QB Carson Wentz and TE Zach Ertz texted WR JJ Arcega-Whiteside after he was drafted. JJAW has a relationship with Ertz and he shares an agent with Wentz

Pretty ambivalent about the picks. The WR seems to be a Jefferey clone...does he help much this year (assuming Jefferey healthy??) Would have thought a DIFFERENT skill set would make more impact in the shorter term. Feel better at RB (as in his ability to make an impact and help), but as others have said in here, seems like there were bigger needs (LINEBACKER!)...and I had some hopes for Howard. Maybe they saw something in mini-camp they didn't like?

yeah looking around the internet a few had him pretty high. i am all about admitting though that i have no clue when it comes to NFL draft anymore
That's why I don't even watch. Since we won't the super bowl, I've just been checking in at our pick and looking at it then. I know absolutely nothing about these guys. 

Except Sanders. That guy is a stud and if he went to any other big school that didn't have Saquan Barkley ahead of him, he'd have broken all sorts of school records. 

Obviously need the picks to pan out but if they do you have cheap starters at LT, RB and WR for 4 years while paying Wentz
That's the general idea. So if they all pan out, that's 3 years with Wentz on his big deal and 3 starters that are making low salary. By the time they get paid, Wentz' contract will be average for a QB and the cap will have gone up.

Pretty ambivalent about the picks. The WR seems to be a Jefferey clone...does he help much this year (assuming Jefferey healthy??) Would have thought a DIFFERENT skill set would make more impact in the shorter term. Feel better at RB (as in his ability to make an impact and help), but as others have said in here, seems like there were bigger needs (LINEBACKER!)...and I had some hopes for Howard. Maybe they saw something in mini-camp they didn't like?
I think Howard was always only a piece of the RB puzzle this year and this year only.  He's useful but not really an all-around back. This should shore up the RB position for pretty cheap this year.

Howard isn't here long term. They're using him as a veteran back for the year and he's using the Eagles as a chance to showcase his skills for Free Agency. They did well so far in getting players in early before you're desperate and need to reach.

LB will never be a position they value.

That was my hope.   Pretty underwhelming haul if you ask me.  Not a fan of how this draft has played out
Yeah me either Bryce Love just went to SF and apparently was seeing on Twitter Kaye and Solak talking someone brought up Gardner doesn't interview well and one of them said thats not good. I tweeted him asking how a bad interview makes you drop but Winston can rape 2 women and be the #1 overall pick and Joe Mixon can end up a second rounder despite 2 incidents of him assaulting females. Just shows how F'd up NFL priorities are and why the fans will not take the NFL seriously. One of the good things about this draft for the NFL pR wise is there really was no Joe Mixon type incidents for players this year at least high profile players. 

As for the Draft I'm indifferent on Dillard but he's an incredible raw run blocker and going into the combine and Senior bowl Dillard wasn't even rated one of the top 5 LT it was always Jonah Williams and Juwan Taylor the 2 best tackles. Thought we could've let him go to Texans picked up Taylor or someone else at T. Thought we reached for RB. That was more of a luxury pick and I think you can get better or just as good as Sanders RB's later on. Safety and LB were more pressing needs there.I like the JJAW pick but he's awfully similar to Alshon so I'm not getting the pick there. 

I really wanted Taylor/Dabo Samuel/Jacobs in the first, Gardner/JauJaun Williams/JAHLANI TAVAI/Adderly/Brown/Metclaf in the 2nd. I also would've been fine trading one of the 2nd's to move back in the 2nd and maybe pick up a 3rd or etc 4th. I feel like we had a few reaches, took a luxury pick in RB given how deep this draft is and missed on a few guys. Even as a Howie defender this is one of my least favorite Roseman drafts. Like I said I didn't see Dillard play a ton on college but I'm willing to have it grow on me. I didn't like the Sanders pick at all given the depth at RB this year in the draft. I also thinking people are underrating Corey Clement still big time. I think there's guys just as good as Sanders one year productivity at State who were productive all 3-4 yrs of college (I know Sanders was behind Barkley but one year productivity from guys scares me), he runs the Shady shuffle East-west instead of north-south and in the NFL you aren't gonna get away with it as he doesn't have the burst or athleticism Shady had in the Barry Sanders mold to get away with it and he fumbled 30% more of the time then any back in the draft this year. People think it's not a problem but if he were given more chances in college his fumble numbers would be up. Out of the 10 fumbles in college he had he lost 7 and given Pederson on guys fumbling surprised they got him. The last is more of a personal reason as my friend is a huge PSU homer and I got to listen to this guy overrate him big time. Last time we drafted PSU guy Tony Hunt he acted like he'd be the next best thing. 

Jeremiah also just compared Gardner-Johnson to Jenkins too. 

Howard isn't here long term. They're using him as a veteran back for the year and he's using the Eagles as a chance to showcase his skills for Free Agency. They did well so far in getting players in early before you're desperate and need to reach.

LB will never be a position they value.
I feel Howard is the type of guy this team really needs a long term guy though. A younger player that compared to him and Blount. That's how successful we were. 

Eagles take Sharieff Mille Edge rusher PSU so my friend will again overrate this guy in a big way. He's apparently a West Philly guy. I have not heard much about him. He sounds like a project

Per NFL.com 

Overview

Projection based defensive end who with good size and athletic traits but a lack of functional skill at this point. Miller doesn't play with early, aggressive hands in the run game or as a rusher and that severely limits his consistency in both areas. His lack of instincts as a rusher is a concern, but improving his approach at the top of the rush should be coachable. He's a rangy edge defender with moldable traits, but until he'll be stuck in a holding pattern of "potential" until he develops his fundamentals.

Strengths

May have frame and ability as 4-3 DE or 3-4 rush linebacker

Gets off snap with upfield burst

Early charge could lay groundwork for more rush production with work

Flashes twitchy upper body movements

Hands can be heavy and jarring when he lets them go

Disruptive against run when slanting into B-gap

Attacks with desired suddenness from the edge

Above active reactive athleticism

Sticks a foot in the ground and makes quick change of direction

Pursuit is fluid and fast

Motor and closing burst allow for extended range as tackler

Weaknesses

Simply doesn't activate his hands early or often enough

Pops up too tall on inside counter steps

Not very skilled as a pass rusher at this point

Predictable rush plan with basic arc run get him hung up at the top

Lacks knee bend and shoulder turn to flip over the top

Needs to weaponize his hands to defeat blocker's punch

Will have to develop a go-to counter at some point

Below-average ability to control the point of attack

Tackles can tie-up his outside shoulder when he's setting the edge

Sources Tell Us

"Our scouts were really hard on him but I thought the tape showed potential. He's a Day 3 player all day long, but there are things he can do that coaches can work with." - NFC personnel director

Wow.  Some tough decisions coming up on cut days.

Jordan Howard
Miles Sanders
Corey Clement
Josh Adams
Boston Scott
Wendell Smallwood
Donnel Pumphrey
Darren Sproles

Wow.  Some tough decisions coming up on cut days.

Jordan Howard
Miles Sanders
Corey Clement
Josh Adams
Boston Scott
Wendell Smallwood
Donnel Pumphrey
Darren Sproles
Don't bring Sproles back. Great guy but I don't want to waste a roster spot on a guy who is barely healthy these days

Pumphrey and Scott will be cut and maybe we can get an extra 6th for Smallwood next year as he's a serviceable receiving back role player for a team

We picked up the last pick of the draft in the trade down.  Actually there's compensatory picks after so not quite.  Pats took a Punter jeez.

Boyd and Coney still there.  We need one of those guys.  Only the Chargers before us.

I'm fine with it. Needed a 3rd string. People need to relax. We weren't finding first year starters at this point anyway. 

I'm fine with it. Needed a 3rd string. People need to relax. We weren't finding first year starters at this point anyway. 
Boyd and Coney could make an impact immediately.  I don't get the slide.  Maybe we move back up.

Thorson is good, but would have preferred Rypien.

Plus there's a ton of undrafted talent left for the rookie FA's. Eagles usually do really well in that area.

Love the first 2 picks. Dillard and Sanders will pay immediate dividends. Sanders may be on the field 60-70% of the time as the season moves on. 

Going to hold off on Arcega-Whiteside until I see how he’s used though. We have Jeffery, Jackson, Agholor, Hollins (hopefully) Braxton Miller and Charles Johnson. Arcega-Whiteside could be a 4th or even 5th WR air Hollins is 100% 

I’m good with Miller and Thorson. Can always use a potential pass rusher and Sudfield can walk soon. We’ll have to see how they look.

All I wanted was 3 guys who would get on the field and help. I’m sure we already have 2.  We’ll see on the rest  

Howie seems to have some sort of PSU bias. We just took Thompkins and the offensive lineman. A TU guy would be nice Howie

Players who reportedly signed with the Eagles in UDFA

LB T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin

OG Iosua Opeta, Weber State

DT Kevin Wilkins, Rutgers

DT Anthony Rush, UAB

OG Ryan Bates, Penn State

CB Jamalcolm Liggins, Dickinson State

WR Deandre Thompkins, Penn State

OG Nate Herbig, Stanford

LB Joey Alfieri, Stanford

RB Nico Evans, Wyoming

CB/LB/S Tyrell Gilbert, Cincinnati 

DE Louis Vecchio, Vanderbilt

LB Jerry Iweh, Fairmont State

CB Marko Myers - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

WR Marshall Ellick, Stony Brook - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

TE Darneail Jenkins, Rocky Mountain College - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

Guaranteed money

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Philadelphia Eagles gave $55,000 base salary guarantee, plus $25,000 signing bonus to offensive guard Sua Opeta, per a source

Thoughts on the Eagles draft

Andre Dillard LT: Grade B. Fits team need but honestly I'm meh. Peters replacement hopefully but according to most didn't jump off the board as a top 5 T until SR Bowl and Combine when people saw his size and athleticism. Very raw in the run game. There were other guys we could've had if Texans picks him that could've been better. Would've been fine with Jacobs as he was the best player at what we need RB wise there or Samuel WR or a Safety. We also gave up two picks in this years draft to move up which we could've used on depth. 

Miles Sanders RB: Grade C+ This was a need but I'm giving this one a the grade because of the depth at the position we could've had better possible steals later rounds. Yes I said I'd be ok with Jacobs in the 1st because I view him as the best RB in the draft by a long shot. I thought Miles Sanders compared to Benny Snell and others didn't seperate himself. Sanders also fumbles every 30 touches, very impatient and does the Shady Shuffle in the backfield. he accumulated most of hs yards in 4 games and did nothing against 3 of the best run defense in the nation barely eclipsing 50 yards. Also not sold on 1 year production guys and yes I know he was behind Barkley but one year production always scares me. Given our other needs here I fell this was a reach. 

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside WR: Grade B I like the pick here. Was hoping for one of the other WRs or Chauncey or Adderly here or one of the LBs. This might be my favorite pick of the group. Loved watching late night Stanford games and seeing this guy play bully ball on DBs. Alshon Jeffrey mold should be a nice Role Player and if Jeffrey is ever hurt could fill in as the starter depending how he develops. Most likely Alshon's replacement

Sharif Miller DE: Grade C Deonto Thompson should've been the pick here. I felt like at that time DL wasn't the place to go here and Thompson would've been great value here. He's a West Philly kid. Most memorable thing I remember is this guy getting run over in the bowl game by Bennie Snell. He's a situational pass rusher depending how he develops may not even dress on game days unless there's injuries He has a few injury issues himself

Clayton Thorson QB: Grade C+ I was hoping for Carsons buddy Easton Sticks here. WOuld've been fun having the two NDST boys here plus if he became the back up both he and Wentz know the offense better then anyone in regards to terminology. No disrespect to Suddy there. However Stick went to SD the pick before and we got Thorson in a trade down. Relly smart tough as nails kid here. Has some mobility developmental QB. 

Trade: DT Hassan Ridgeway traded our last pic for him. He's only 24 and I think he should have success here. Ridgeway was taken in the 4th round of the same draft We took Wentz 2nd overall

Overall grade B-

Not an overwhelming draft for us. Nelly is still an Eagle and there was no big time trades. Not many surprises and a lot of underwhelming names compared to what was rumored to possible come here. The PSU homers will love this draft with Sanders/Miller plus the UDFA pick ups. I just feel we may have missed on some prospects we should've taken where we reached for others we may have needed but could've gotten at some other point. Like I said indifferent on Dillard but would be a little bettter if we drafted him without trading up. Love the Rideway pick up but we failed to address some pressing depth issues at Safety and LB

Why would we not take Coney?  Absolutely shocked he went undrafted.  I wanted him in round 5... very odd he wasn't selected and sucks we didn't take him.

Users who are viewing this thread