What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (5 Viewers)

Why would we not take Coney?  Absolutely shocked he went undrafted.  I wanted him in round 5... very odd he wasn't selected and sucks we didn't take him.
We got Edwards from Wisconsin which was one of the other guys. Coney have some sort of Medical red flag? 

Also Brett Rypien went to Denver as an UDFA.  Also sad he didn't get drafted but I'm a little biased I guess.

Yep this draft is really underwhelming. I would love to eat crow but I think we screwed this one up. 3 offensive players in a deep Defensive draft early? Don't get it 
Really?  Maybe the best LT with our current LT on his last legs, a RB which is a huge need, and a WR, which we are lacking quality youth at?

I like it.  They are trying to look 2 years out at WR, which seems hit or miss - agree that they are basically looking for a Jeffrey replacement for 2 years down the line - WR's dont always contribute immediately.  OL was a great pick - was pretty much a lock they were going OL or DL - they tried to trade up for a DL, Miami backed out, the best player they liked was OL.  All good.  

Everyone was saying we needed a RB. We got one right around where he was projected to go - maybe a little high?  But not like he was out of nowhere.  Huge need, so an intersection of need and value.  I'm good with it.  WR - I dunno, but they are so hit or miss anyway.  It fits with his projection - he may or may not pan out, but it wasnt a reach, and it fits.

Howie seems to have some sort of PSU bias. We just took Thompkins and the offensive lineman. A TU guy would be nice Howie

Players who reportedly signed with the Eagles in UDFA

LB T.J. Edwards, Wisconsin

OG Iosua Opeta, Weber State

DT Kevin Wilkins, Rutgers

DT Anthony Rush, UAB

OG Ryan Bates, Penn State

CB Jamalcolm Liggins, Dickinson State

WR Deandre Thompkins, Penn State

OG Nate Herbig, Stanford

LB Joey Alfieri, Stanford

RB Nico Evans, Wyoming

CB/LB/S Tyrell Gilbert, Cincinnati 

DE Louis Vecchio, Vanderbilt

LB Jerry Iweh, Fairmont State

CB Marko Myers - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

WR Marshall Ellick, Stony Brook - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

TE Darneail Jenkins, Rocky Mountain College - [ROOKIE MINICAMP TRYOUT]

Guaranteed money

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Philadelphia Eagles gave $55,000 base salary guarantee, plus $25,000 signing bonus to offensive guard Sua Opeta, per a source
Probably been said but they scouted Miles Sanders hard this past year. As a result, they got good reviews of a lot of other PSU players.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are you guys thoughts on how all the teams in the division did after the draft. I'd rate the NFC East grades as 

Redskins A

Eagles B

Giants D

Dallas F

I like the Ridgeway pickup for a 7.  With the comp pick thing that Howie is into lately, he’s likely hoping he gets a year of solid production then turns that 7 into a 4 or 5 down the road

My thoughts:

• If the guy you had as the best LT in the draft falls to within striking distance, you get him. The fact that their current LT is wrapping up his HOF career, makes it even more of a no-brainer. 10% of 4th rounders, and 5% of 6th rounders, wind up as "starters" in the NFL. That was an affordable cost. Now, you just have to see if your grading/evaluation turns out correct.
  • I like BPA as an overall strategy and think that's what they followed for the JJAW pick. Long-term, he could be an Alshon replacement, and WRs sometimes take a year or two to breakthrough. Short term, I think he replaces DJax once they get into the red zone.
  • I think they treat Sanders like Westbrook 2.0 as far as development. He's not going to be a starter/3-down back this season. 1-2 combo with Howard, get some 3rd down work, do some special teams/returning, etc. 
  • I think they have a long-term plan at Safety that involves using/converting Douglas, Mills or even Maddox there. The only thing they did to address it (publicly) was sign Sendejo who is an obvious cut if they don't see Ajayi or someone else sign that counts toward the comp picks, because right now he's cancelling one out. 
  • Now that RB has been addressed in a way that will satisfy fans, the LB thing is going to be even more focused on. But LBs, in the sense that most Buddy Ryan-era fans think of them, are going the way of the FB in the NFL. The league, and the positions evolve. TE's are no longer big, thick blockers that could plow down defenders for RBs and be a check-down safety valve for QBs. And LBs that patrol the middle of field like Seth Joyner are too one-dimensional and get easily exposed in today's pass-heavy, 11 personnel offenses. Playing 3 LBs/4 DBs in a 4-3 has already started to evolve into 2 LBs/5 DBs as slot WRs have gained prominence as a standard position and we're not too far from 1 LB/6DBs being a base defense (and that 1 LB has to be more of a safety hybrid that can cover and stop the run.) 

I liked it.  There were a couple players I would have rather taken but I trust howie.

I dont understand passing on Thompson  from bama.  We need safety help and he seemed like great value there.  Way more than the de project from psu.

i dont mind the dillard pick, but coupled with the tate, howard, and desean trades, i didnt like giving up two more picks in what is a very important draft for the team.

i dont like drafting an rb in the second round of a draft that is weak at rb and both strong and deep on the defensive side of the ball.   i realize there is a need, but i would much rather have spent the 3-4 mill per year on tevin coleman or mark ingram and use that pick elsewhere.  also if you are going to spend a 2nd on sanders i dont know why we traded for jordan howard.  

projections and scouting reports on jjaw are uninspiring.   sounds like he lacks upside and projects as a good but not great player

project defensive lineman

qb

to me it seemed like the sweet part of the draft was the beginning of the second round.  i would have preferred to trade back in the first and then use some of that ammo to move up from one of our later seconds

overall i am disappointed with the draft.  i was hoping to come out of this draft with a deep and talented haul that would yield multiple contributors but unfortunately i dont think that is the case.   obviously i hope i am wrong

They have to get Seamolu off the field. I’d kick Peters to LG and start Dillard. Then let everyone else compete for RG until we see what’s up with Brooks. 

i dont mind the dillard pick, but coupled with the tate, howard, and desean trades, i didnt like giving up two more picks in what is a very important draft for the team.

i dont like drafting an rb in the second round of a draft that is weak at rb and both strong and deep on the defensive side of the ball.   i realize there is a need, but i would much rather have spent the 3-4 mill per year on tevin coleman or mark ingram and use that pick elsewhere.  also if you are going to spend a 2nd on sanders i dont know why we traded for jordan howard.  

projections and scouting reports on jjaw are uninspiring.   sounds like he lacks upside and projects as a good but not great player

project defensive lineman

qb

to me it seemed like the sweet part of the draft was the beginning of the second round.  i would have preferred to trade back in the first and then use some of that ammo to move up from one of our later seconds

overall i am disappointed with the draft.  i was hoping to come out of this draft with a deep and talented haul that would yield multiple contributors but unfortunately i dont think that is the case.   obviously i hope i am wrong
we needed multiple rbs.  i am not surprised they brought in 2.  our rbs as a whole sucked badly last season 

babydemon90 said:
Really?  Maybe the best LT with our current LT on his last legs, a RB which is a huge need, and a WR, which we are lacking quality youth at?

I like it.  They are trying to look 2 years out at WR, which seems hit or miss - agree that they are basically looking for a Jeffrey replacement for 2 years down the line - WR's dont always contribute immediately.  OL was a great pick - was pretty much a lock they were going OL or DL - they tried to trade up for a DL, Miami backed out, the best player they liked was OL.  All good.  

Everyone was saying we needed a RB. We got one right around where he was projected to go - maybe a little high?  But not like he was out of nowhere.  Huge need, so an intersection of need and value.  I'm good with it.  WR - I dunno, but they are so hit or miss anyway.  It fits with his projection - he may or may not pan out, but it wasnt a reach, and it fits.
I'm ok getting a T not trading up for the guy who seems pretty weak with run blocking and wasn't even graded as one of the top 5 T until the combine. We also traded two picks this year. We just can't afford with Wentz extension trading as many picks IMHO

I got zero issue with the WR honestly I think he could end up being a really good pick. 

The problem with RB for me is more so I don't rate Sanders who we got any higher then some of the guys who went later. None of them really are great at everything but might be very good at 1 or 2 things. Thought Pitt is getting a steal in Benny Snell. I would've liked to have used one of our 2nd rounders to move down in the in the 2nd or completely out and picked up a 3rd and another pick. I'd have zero problem taking Sanders if our depth at Safety and LB wasn't so thin. I just don't view as a necessary pick. I know you can't fill all your needs in the draft but we passed on IMHO a lot of good talent at both positions and yes I viewed Sanders as a mid 3rd rounder at best do to lack of receiving and ball security. 

Insein said:
Probably been said but they scouted Miles Sanders hard this past year. As a result, they got good reviews of a lot of other PSU players.
Possible but my theory has always been the locals and media tend to overrate many of the PSU talent here for obvious reasons. I know these guys are the professionals too. Like I said my other issues with this much PSU talent is my buddy who is a homer. This is the guy who wanted to do NFL FO stuff but was too lazy in college and never really pained out, does his own draft board and everything each year takes off from work etc. He thinks he knows the talent but really doesn't. I'll give him props that he knows some of the player names I've never heard of but other then that between the 2 of us I'm far and away the better talent evaluator. This guy is one of the people who laughed at me when I first saw Carson Wentz at NDST 2 yrs before the draft and I said this guy is going to be a top NFL pick and it should be the Eagles. Still early and Wentz needs to stay healthy but I've been right before. he's also one of the people who was big on RG3 over Luck and we all know how that turned out. He tends to fall in line with the media hype and Radio callers too so I got that to deal with too. I was reading the article last or 2 yrs ago in the athletic about the Eagles offense and Wentz being scouted by KC to run the offense Andy and Doug wanted and Doug took this to the Eagles. I knew the definitions and terminology of a lot of what was written in the article which was very detailed. If I gave this to my buddy he wouldn't understand it. I guess you could say he's decent with player names but I'm the one who's gonna evaluate the player in terms of Scheme and fits in the NFL. I remember the Wildcat and Read offenses saying well some of these elements might stick in the NFL but as base offenses these will fizzle out in no time. 

Look I'll always be a Tim Tebow fan but I always said after QB didn't work out he could've been a great hybrid H-Back/TE/FB combo for some team. His size and athleticism and determination I thought he could always be successful. I talked about this with the Colin Kapernick faithful when it came to why he wasn't signed. Kapernick just didn't have the size or sbody build plus he was a horrible team character in the locker room with a poor work ethic. No one is signing him where Tebow you have a guy who many love, great work ethic and has the build and athletic ability he could be successful in the NFL if he switched positions. Unfortunately if didn't work out for Tim in the NFL but it's not like Baseball hasn't either. 

So for me I got a personal bias to a degree here to deal with on a somewhat daily bases. 

I'm ok getting a T not trading up for the guy who seems pretty weak with run blocking and wasn't even graded as one of the top 5 T until the combine. We also traded two picks this year. We just can't afford with Wentz extension trading as many picks IMHO

I got zero issue with the WR honestly I think he could end up being a really good pick. 

The problem with RB for me is more so I don't rate Sanders who we got any higher then some of the guys who went later. None of them really are great at everything but might be very good at 1 or 2 things. Thought Pitt is getting a steal in Benny Snell. I would've liked to have used one of our 2nd rounders to move down in the in the 2nd or completely out and picked up a 3rd and another pick. I'd have zero problem taking Sanders if our depth at Safety and LB wasn't so thin. I just don't view as a necessary pick. I know you can't fill all your needs in the draft but we passed on IMHO a lot of good talent at both positions and yes I viewed Sanders as a mid 3rd rounder at best do to lack of receiving and ball security. 
Dilliard wasn’t graded as a pre combine top 5 OT by whom? 

Dilliard wasn’t graded as a pre combine top 5 OT by whom? 
This was from Charlie Campbell at Walterfootball who do really good write ups. Ok maybe he was top 5 OT but until the Senior bowl was regarded as more of a 2nd day pick. 

At the Senior Bowl, there was some hype of Dillard being a first-round pick. I spoke with five team sources after hearing that. Four of them said they didn't see that and thought he would be a good second-day pick. One general manager said they thought Dillard could be a late first-round pick. Given that left tackles play an important position and are hard to find, it is possible that Dillard gets selected on the opening night of the 2019 NFL Draft. 

This was from Charlie Campbell at Walterfootball who do really good write ups. Ok maybe he was top 5 OT but until the Senior bowl was regarded as more of a 2nd day pick. 
so - if one writer at one point early in the process thinks someone is a 2nd rounder, that should take him off teams 1st round boards?

so - if one writer at one point early in the process thinks someone is a 2nd rounder, that should take him off teams 1st round boards?
That was the initial place I saw it. Saw a few other sites that said something similar wasn't till the combine/Senior bowl teams thought he could go in the 1st round. Again its not the position I'm not ok with. It's the fact we traded up to get it when there were other quality T still there as well. Also we can't be giving up picks like we have. We need our picks eventually. 

That was the initial place I saw it. Saw a few other sites that said something similar wasn't till the combine/Senior bowl teams thought he could go in the 1st round. Again its not the position I'm not ok with. It's the fact we traded up to get it when there were other quality T still there as well. Also we can't be giving up picks like we have. We need our picks eventually. 
Were the other T graded as high by the Eagles staff?  Is a 4th rounder adequate value for settling on a lesser T if not?  Trading a 3rd for Golden Tate for 1/2 a season is far worse imo then trading a 4th to get the top OT on your board.

Charlie Campbell? :lmao:  Let me help you with something. Don’t base your draft evaluations on what a random “draft insider” shares on his public blog. 

Charlie Campbell? :lmao:  Let me help you with something. Don’t base your draft evaluations on what a random “draft insider” shares on his public blog. 
He's not the only one on the site and they are pretty good on having everything put together in terms of rankings not just from their site but NFL.com, ESPN and other sites they take them together. 

Miles Sanders could have been the second best running back in the entire country and he wasn't going to get much work with Saquon ahead of him. It's silly considering it a red flag that he only has a one year sample size.

JuniorNB said:
Miles Sanders could have been the second best running back in the entire country and he wasn't going to get much work with Saquon ahead of him. It's silly considering it a red flag that he only has a one year sample size.
My issues with Sanders is more so fumbling, lack of receiving threat, and he accumulated most of his yards in 4 games. Given some of our needs and with other backs still available I thought it was a reach 

DJackson10 said:
He's not the only one on the site and they are pretty good on having everything put together in terms of rankings not just from their site but NFL.com, ESPN and other sites they take them together. 
Yeah I get it. You base your draft evaluation upon draft sites and bloggers. As I’m sure know, given your connections, they are used by NFL execs to misdirect and hopefully affect the draft even slightly. You and Charlie may be right but I sense not.

Yeah I get it. You base your draft evaluation upon draft sites and bloggers. As I’m sure know, given your connections, they are used by NFL execs to misdirect and hopefully affect the draft even slightly. You and Charlie may be right but I sense not.
I take some of these sites with a grain of salt. I don't get overhyped with some of these prospects and I think a lot of people overhype and overrate local talent (Especially the PSU and Notre Dame players over the yrs around here) but I'm surprised they'd take a back with protecting the football issues given Pederson has benched his backs for fumbling. I base my draft evaluation on a lot of things. Use some of the sites as foundation material. To me Miles Sanders didn't stand out any better then some of the backs drafted later on we could've had. Preferred to draft one of the safety with one of the 2s and traded the other one and moved down and picked up extra picks. 

I take some of these sites with a grain of salt. I don't get overhyped with some of these prospects and I think a lot of people overhype and overrate local talent (Especially the PSU and Notre Dame players over the yrs around here) but I'm surprised they'd take a back with protecting the football issues given Pederson has benched his backs for fumbling. I base my draft evaluation on a lot of things. Use some of the sites as foundation material. To me Miles Sanders didn't stand out any better then some of the backs drafted later on we could've had. Preferred to draft one of the safety with one of the 2s and traded the other one and moved down and picked up extra picks. 
Considering your extensive connections I expect better than grains of salt when doubting Howie

Can someone find a spider graph of LeSean McCoy and Miles Sanders? 

Thats who Sanders reminds me of when I watch him and going off of memory I think they would have tested around the same. 

I have zero issues with Sanders being picked. None. He seems to have everything you want in a 2019 NFL RB. Fumbling issues can be corrected. We have a potential 3 down RB who looks like he could be a nightmare in space. 

Thats who Sanders reminds me of when I watch him and going off of memory I think they would have tested around the same. 

I have zero issues with Sanders being picked. None. He seems to have everything you want in a 2019 NFL RB. Fumbling issues can be corrected. We have a potential 3 down RB who looks like he could be a nightmare in space. 
McCoy

Sanders

From what I'm hearing about Sanders is that he is similar to McCoy, but doesn't have the same shiftiness that made McCoy so good.  

looking at those numbers tells me they are very similar.  sanders is a little bigger and stronger.  a little less agility.  
And the list of backs not as agile as McCoy is a pretty damn long list. 

Im excited to see the kid in our offense. It seems like a perfect fit. 

Yup.  Him and Howard are going to b dynamic.   We can actually run the ball this year which will help everything.  It was a huge weakness last year and they obviously  thought the same 

Considering your extensive connections I expect better than grains of salt when doubting Howie
I haven't talked to my co workers son in a few weeks. Most of the coaching staff goes on Vacation until like the week or so before the draft so I haven't heard anything about the draft or how they plan on using the DBs. My guess is they are gonna try to convince us Maddox is a safety despite the fact it really should be Mills switching to his natural spot. I have very little faith in Sidney Jones making an impact do to him not be able to stay healthy and just how lost he looked when he was playing. 

And you know me I've defended Howie on here for awhile however my gut is telling me I really wasn't a fan of this draft overall. I thought we missed on a few guys guys and reached for other needs (Like RB) with others on the board at other needs and being so deep draft wise at some of the positions. I would've been more comfortable not trading up for Dillard and letting the draft and board play out and trading down with one of the 2nds for more. I did hear Tyreek Hill situation made the Eagles move possible taking Jets pick Mecole Hardman as they were talking with the Jets I believe on a trade but after KC took Hardman before the Eagles 2nd pick the trade died down. 

Bigboy10182000 said:

right, I mean regardless of testing, McCoy was exceptional in his heyday. Like top 3 RB in the NFL good.  That's not gonna be Sanders, but he "should" be worlds better then Smallwood and Clement.

What’s your RB depth chart going to look like...  specifically do my lottery tickets of Clement and Josh Adams have any value?

right, I mean regardless of testing, McCoy was exceptional in his heyday. Like top 3 RB in the NFL good.  That's not gonna be Sanders, but he "should" be worlds better then Smallwood and Clement.
Sanders isn't going to and never will be Shady just because of some of the skillset Shady had you can't teach and are god given. Anyone who thinks Sanders believes he's the next Shady I don't think what god given talent McCoy has that you can't teach and just have. 

If anyone was looking to try and grab tickets at face value this year when single games go on sale to the public, that might no longer be possible.
So the avg fan probably can't afford to go to a game now I guess. I've been expecting this for Football for awhile now. Pretty soon with these newer stadiums in the next 20 yrs many ordinary fans won't be able to afford to attend a game and it'll be all CEO's and other big shots who can afford the tickets. 

Users who are viewing this thread