What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (10 Viewers)

One other thing: If the Rams win, the Patriot Super Bowl revenge tour will be alive for 2 straight years. We would just need Carolina, Seattle, and Atlanta to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl to make the tour complete.

I don't think the Patriots lose this year because Belichick/Brady only lose Super Bowls to NFC East teams. 
they have some of the elements that NYG & Philly had, good to great Dline. and Oline…..run the ball and pressure brady up the middle. 

But I think the rams have zero chance to win, I knew BDN and Big Balls Doug would come through.

I've finally made up my mind: if one of these two teams has to win the SB, I would rather it be the Patriots.

• They already have 5, what's it matter if they have 6?  (ETA: As pointed out, it also knocks those Steelers fans and their superiority down a notch!)
  • It makes our win over them last year look stronger.
  • Maybe Belicheck and/or Brady finally hang it up and the dynasty starts to fade, for real.
  • I won't be able to take all the slobbering McVay will get for the next 12 months, or more, if the Rams win. I'm used to all the slobbering done for Brady/Belicheck so (again) what's some more?
  • It leaves Doug with something more to hold over McVay: Not only is he 2-0 heads-up against him, but Doug was able to beat the Pats in a SB. 
And that last one also kind of works as the only "pro" if the Rams win: they both beat the Pats for the SB, but we're 2-0 against them. 

🙈
I like your logic but I cannot and refuse to root for the Patriots. For my own and cousin's insanity it'd be better if they don't win. I don't think the Steelers fans have a superiority anymore. More interested in bragging about Sid and the Pens and Boston and Pat fans make Pitt fans seem tolerable. Boston fans act like their teams are guaranteed to be in and win the title in that sport every year right now. Like I said the other day I don't think a SB makes Brady hang it up. He seems to have the Favre 1 more year one more year mentality. I have zero problem with them slobbering over McVay. It's better then them slobbering over the Pats 24/7 and I think it's great for the league to see another "new team" win the SB even though the Patriots were in the last 2. 

I like your logic but I cannot and refuse to root for the Patriots. For my own and cousin's insanity it'd be better if they don't win. I don't think the Steelers fans have a superiority anymore. More interested in bragging about Sid and the Pens and Boston and Pat fans make Pitt fans seem tolerable. Boston fans act like their teams are guaranteed to be in and win the title in that sport every year right now. Like I said the other day I don't think a SB makes Brady hang it up. He seems to have the Favre 1 more year one more year mentality. I have zero problem with them slobbering over McVay. It's better then them slobbering over the Pats 24/7 and I think it's great for the league to see another "new team" win the SB even though the Patriots were in the last 2. 
:thanks:

I've finally made up my mind: if one of these two teams has to win the SB, I would rather it be the Patriots.

• They already have 5, what's it matter if they have 6?  (ETA: As pointed out, it also knocks those Steelers fans and their superiority down a notch!)
  • It makes our win over them last year look stronger.
  • Maybe Belicheck and/or Brady finally hang it up and the dynasty starts to fade, for real.
  • I won't be able to take all the slobbering McVay will get for the next 12 months, or more, if the Rams win. I'm used to all the slobbering done for Brady/Belicheck so (again) what's some more?
  • It leaves Doug with something more to hold over McVay: Not only is he 2-0 heads-up against him, but Doug was able to beat the Pats in a SB. 
And that last one also kind of works as the only "pro" if the Rams win: they both beat the Pats for the SB, but we're 2-0 against them. 

🙈
1000% yes on all of the above.  I echo the exact same reasons when I say I'm cheering for the pats.  Things I'd add to the above:

- I don't want to hear "Goff can win a SB, Carson can't.   Goff was the better pick." over and over
- Rams don't deserve to be there.  #### that missed call. 
- In 50 years, this dynasty is going to be talked about, remembered, and discussed.  I'm glad to be alive to witness this, we likely won't ever again.  I want to see one more to put any debate to an end and say I lived through and got to watch this.
- I lost money on that Saints loss.  #### the Rams.
- More FA's may join the Rams if they win the SB.  Will be a roadblock for Philly IF we get a chance to play them again in the playoffs.

It's the matchup I wanted to see the least, but am all in on the Pats for the SB.  Did I say #### the Rams yet?

EDIT/PS:  You've been MIA for a while.  Good to have you back in here... stick around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive me if you guys have heard this, but on the latest freakonomics podcast, Doug pederson was interviewed a bit.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/think-like-a-winner/

A quote that was most impressive was this about Belichick prior to the super bowl "he just had no idea what’s coming. Not saying they overlooked us, but that feeling can creep in. I was so confident in our guys and our coaches that I just felt that he had no idea."

Hell of a coach. Massive stones.
Great stuff, Ded. I listened to a few in the series. Fascinating. 

This is a tough one, I really don’t like pulling for either of these teams. Really wanted to see Brees go out with a ring or Andy get one. 

falling to the second page is unacceptable!! 

I'm having a hard time deciding who to pull for too. I honestly may just roll with the odds, bet on and pull for the rams. A huge amount of the money coming in is on the pats. It was something like 96% of the money was on the pats in the first 3 days bets were being taken (rams opened as 1 point favorites, currently pats favored by 2.5 i think). Its balanced out some since, but last i saw, 82% of the bets and 85% of the money was on the Pats. I also plan to take the over (57 points). My mindset is that if the rams can make and keep this game a shootout, they have a real chance at winning. Now to decide how much money to "play" with and not piss off the wife 🤣

EDIT/PS:  You've been MIA for a while.  Good to have you back in here... stick around.
2018 was a weird season for me, as a die-hard Eagles fan. I've been trying to put my finger on what happened and I think it's a combination of the post-SB hangover, the disappointing way we followed-up the SB win (Wentz not ready for game 1, team's slow start, blowing the Titans/Panthers games, injuries, etc.) and my personal experience as a fan over the 15 or so months leading up the season where I think I literally peaked as a die-hard fan:

• Attended the 1st round of the NFL draft in my hometown city
  • Went to a dinner with, and got to meet, my all-time favorite Eagle (Dawkins)
  • Witnessed the magic of all 8 regular season home games from 18 rows away, including being on the field and working the same goalpost net earlier in the game as Jake's 61-yarder (ETA: I'm even seen on the Super Bowl season DVD, during the footage from that Giants game)
  • Same for the Falcons and Vikings playoff games (after having never been to a playoff game before)
  • Being in Minnesota, sitting (upper level) right at the pylon where the Philly Special was run and seeing, with my own eyes, my team winning its first Super Bowl (and all the memories of the road trip, crashing on a friend's floor, etc. that went along with it)
  • Going to the championship parade with my two boys
  • Road tripped to Canton for my first visit to the Pro Football HOF (proudly as defending SB champs) to see Dawkins enshrined 
The best way I can think to describe it is that I was playing the most realistic (and frustrating!) sports video game of all time for 40 years and I finally got to the end screen. The 2018 season was re-playing the same game, with different settings or on a new difficulty level. The goal is still the same, and there's still enjoyment, but you know the experience will never be better so it didn't consume me the same way as it usually did. Yeah, there's some truth to the claims of "Eagles fans are soft now" or "they've changed since winning one" for certain types of fans, or even how die-hards admit to being less obsessed/stressed about the draft or free agency, but I don't think I fall into any of those categories. 

Hungry dogs run faster, and I may have overeaten. 😳  

2018 was a weird season for me, as a die-hard Eagles fan. I've been trying to put my finger on what happened and I think it's a combination of the post-SB hangover, the disappointing way we followed-up the SB win (Wentz not ready for game 1, team's slow start, blowing the Titans/Panthers games, injuries, etc.) and my personal experience as a fan over the 15 or so months leading up the season where I think I literally peaked as a die-hard fan:

• Witnessed the magic of all 8 regular season home games from 18 rows away, including being on the field and working the same goalpost net earlier in the game as Jake's 61-yarder
  • Same for the Falcons and Vikings playoff games (after having never been to a playoff game before)
  • Being in Minnesota, sitting (upper level) right at the pylon where the Philly Special was run and seeing, with my own eyes, my team winning its first Super Bowl (and all the memories of the road trip, crashing on a friend's floor, etc. that went along with it)
  • Road tripped to Canton for my first visit to the Pro Football HOF (proudly as defending SB champs) to see Dawkins enshrined 
The best way I can think to describe it is that I was playing the most realistic (and frustrating!) sports video game of all time for 40 years and I finally got to the end screen. The 2018 season was re-playing the same game, with different settings or on a new difficulty level. The goal is still the same, and there's still enjoyment, but you know the experience will never be better so it didn't consume me the same way as it usually did. Yeah, there's some truth to the claims of "Eagles fans are soft now" or "they've changed since winning one" for certain types of fans, or even how die-hards admit to being less obsessed/stressed about the draft or free agency, but I don't think I fall into any of those categories. 

Man you nailed it!!!!! Nice work, I’m very jealous. 

The Noid said:

• Witnessed the magic of all 8 regular season home games from 18 rows away, including being on the field and working the same goalpost net earlier in the game as Jake's 61-yarder

Now you're talking my kind of game and this might be the best example of this. Yeah after winning it all I was maybe a little less ready for the season to start. I didn't pay as much to FA and the draft and kind of just went through the motions. 

So Jason Garrett has he signed another extension with Dallas yet? I'd love for him too. He got the most talented group of players yesterday for a game of literally 2 hand touch and only managed 7 PTS!!??? Saw a lot of Dallas "fans" today and last night changing their tune on JG after yesterday. I didn't even watch the game so I'm guessing his issue was not enough things to clap about? 

@Cecil Lammey reporting Eagles are just going to let Foles walk.  Sounds about right.  Would get 3rd comp possibly?  Just don't see how they'll be able to do a franchise tag and trade scenario.  Too many hoops to jump through.
Not a knock on him but this was pretty much the expected outcome and our pick will depend on the deal he signs and who we sign as well.

You are not tagging because you run the risk of him signing it

You aren't picking up a 20 million dollar option and hoping he pays 2 million to get out of it

Not a knock on him but this was pretty much the expected outcome and our pick will depend on the deal he signs and who we sign as well.

You aren't picking up a 20 million dollar option and hoping he pays 2 million to get out of it
Yeah, they still need to clear 15 mill worth of cap space.  It is pretty obvious it is a long shot for them to keep him around let alone trade him.

Yeah, they still need to clear 15 mill worth of cap space.  It is pretty obvious it is a long shot for them to keep him around let alone trade him.
I'm still heavily in the camp that the Eagles will do whats best for foles and foles will do whats best for himself and to a lesser degree(but not dismissable), the eagles. Howie is a cap GURU, if its possible to tag and trade him, letting foles go where he wants and gets what he wants, they will do it. I still really enjoy the idea of a straight up trade of Foles for Fournette. They get the qb they never had and always needed, to go with the coach they just signed in Defilippo that brought the best out of foles, and we get a top talent at the RB position, but also the headache that comes with him. Plenty of speculation out there. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Article/Nick-Foles-Eagles-trade-Jaguars-Leonard-Fournette-on-the-table-128399163/

https://www.phillyvoice.com/nfl-trade-rumors-eagles-jaguars-nick-foles-leonard-fournette-what-theyre-saying/

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2019/1/27/18199519/nick-foles-trade-jaguars-leonard-fournette-philadelphia-quarterback-jacksonville-draft

Now, this is still a long shot, but while we are in our "wait and see" window, I'm gonna hope for this to somehow materialize. I agree with the fact that with injuries and other factors, Fournette has fallen out of favor with the Jags. He is still young and extremely talented. It would be a major upgrade for us at the RB position. Yes, we need him healthy and humbled, but if this deal happens, thats almost necessary for him to not flake out of the league or become a perennial backup RB. He's basically faced stacked boxes his entire career. Nobody has even remotely feared the passing game in jax. Although a career ypc of 3.7 isn't great, its not as bad as it seems when you take the inept offense he's been playing in. He can block and is better at passing catches then given credit for. 

I'm not against the trading of foles for picks either, which is mentioned in two of these articles. Foles + our first and late second to move up to #7 and a high 3rd round pick? Yes, please. 

The last option is letting foles walk, dropping 20 mil from our cap and making our cap situation wayyyy more manageable. I just find it hard to believe that the FO hasn't run every one of these(and thousands more) scenarios already. This nets us, at best, a 3rd round comp pick.  Either of the first two options are way better in my eyes. 

Of course, the first 2 options are long shots, but Howie "the wizard" Roseman has surprised us before!!

A lot of people keep saying these are “long shots” when the odds are really not even that good. It’s more like “no shot”  

Try not to buy into the media hype and fairytales with these trades. It makes for good conversation but it’s going to be boring and predictable. He’s just going to get cut. 

A lot of people keep saying these are “long shots” when the odds are really not even that good. It’s more like “no shot”  

Try not to buy into the media hype and fairytales with these trades. It makes for good conversation but it’s going to be boring and predictable. He’s just going to get cut. 
I agree. That is the most likely scenario. I am a realist, just an optimistic realist. There is nothing wrong with a 3rd round comp pick if thats the way this cookie crumbles, but if there is even the slightest chance they can do better than that, i trust Howie to find it. If not, there was no better option. 

But this is a league where anything can happen. Sam bradford has played 3 good season (his rookie year, 2015 with us and 2016 with the vikes) and 5 sub-par seasons. Has had multiple ACL surgeries and has/had chronic knee issues after those ACL surgeries. He has made a ton of money anyways and had recently been traded(FLEECED) for a first and 4th round pick just 2 weeks before the 2016 season. Solid season in 2016 and played one game with the vikes in 2017 and then went to IR for his knee. he then signed a 2 year, 20 million dollar deal... with 15 mil guaranteed and played 2 1/2 games before being pulled. Odds are he is out of the league this year. I'm just saying, crazier/desperate things have happened when the QB position is being discussed.

ESPN's Mike Reiss reports ex-Dolphins DC Matt Burke will join the Eagles' staff as a "top aide" to DC Jim Schwartz.

I like it.  Anything to help out the D, especially the LB's.  Schwartz did a good job with the personal he had this year... might even say great.

ESPN's Mike Reiss reports ex-Dolphins DC Matt Burke will join the Eagles' staff as a "top aide" to DC Jim Schwartz.

I like it.  Anything to help out the D, especially the LB's.  Schwartz did a good job with the personal he had this year... might even say great.
Def overachieved.  The offense is what ended up killing us.

we're not getting a comp pick, regardless.  It's like releasing a player under contract (because he literally is under contract, even if we "opt out")

we're not getting a comp pick, regardless.  It's like releasing a player under contract (because he literally is under contract, even if we "opt out")
It doesn't specifically say it any where (because the real rules are hidden) but you're probably right. Here's someone's interpretation of the Compensatory Pick rules.

Cut players do not count in the number of players lost, because the original team had the option to keep that player. These additional picks are intended to provide compensation only for players who have a contract expire at the end of the year, and a team does not re-sign them.

Don't think he's under contract. This is an option year. If they don't pick it up (with the $20 million, that has a $2 million buyout clause), then he's a FA and counts toward the comp picks.

All this is saying is the Eagles likely won't try and recover $2 million from him (via him buying his freedom.) They will just not invoke the option, and let him go to FA, free and clear. 

wouldn't making him reclaim the $2 million make that money roll back to the salary cap?  or is it gone?
It's paid back from his previously received signing bonus, so it depends on whether part/all of it already hit the cap last year and whatever pro-rated piece might be left would be cap savings.

I think the bigger issue is that they won't be able to fit his $20 million under the cap, to even exercise the option. Something to do with the timing of the league year start. They would have to make some major cuts first (maybe $15 million?)

Mike Vick and DeSean Jackson were on a podcast today The essentials

* Vick Says the team they had was the real dream team that Chip broke up. Jackson chimed in he agreed

*Both said there was comprandrie with the players with Baby Ertz involved along with Shady, Maclin, Celek etc. Would spend time with each other families doing different things

* Jackson said it was heart wrenching watching the team be broken up and Vick said it was Traumatizing. 

* Vick mentions how Chip had a system and the guys bough in but instead of being treated as star players and respected Chip tried to be more like NE and acted like they were 2-3 tier players. Everyone had to earn a starting spot. But it still wasn't enough and why the group was traded

*Vick says he remembered he did everything he could to win the starters job the season of the Riley Cooper incident and showed he was a team leader and played well. He was in the hyperbolic chamber and remembers crying because of the lack of respect Chip showed

Vick says Chip Kelly made him cry

Look I've said a lot of bad stuff about Vick over the yrs and still don't forgive him for what he did before coming here but you don't come into a new job especially inexperianced like Kelly and disrespect your employees like this. 

@Eagles 

Roster Move: #Eagles have signed LB Paul Worrilow to a one-year contract through the 2019 season. 

#FlyEaglesFly

* Vick Says the team they had was the real dream team that Chip broke up. Jackson chimed in he agreed

*Both said there was comprandrie with the players with Baby Ertz involved along with Shady, Maclin, Celek etc. Would spend time with each other families doing different things

* Jackson said it was heart wrenching watching the team be broken up and Vick said it was Traumatizing. 

* Vick mentions how Chip had a system and the guys bough in but instead of being treated as star players and respected Chip tried to be more like NE and acted like they were 2-3 tier players. Everyone had to earn a starting spot. But it still wasn't enough and why the group was traded

*Vick says he remembered he did everything he could to win the starters job the season of the Riley Cooper incident and showed he was a team leader and played well. He was in the hyperbolic chamber and remembers crying because of the lack of respect Chip showed

Look I've said a lot of bad stuff about Vick over the yrs and still don't forgive him for what he did before coming here but you don't come into a new job especially inexperianced like Kelly and disrespect your employees like this. 
I hate chip Kelly to a nearly irrational level. Still to this day. Even after us winning the super bowl.

He was a crappy DC but when he worked with LBs they usually thrived, also had some of the most takeaway of any LB corp I think.  More from Tommy

Chip seems like a real d-bag. I obviously rooted for the Eagles when he was here, but looking back, it's very satisfying that he failed in the league. Very hard to respect a person like him.

I'm going to watch SB 52 to again.  I have a twinge of disappointment they couldn't get back there again.  Just astounds me how the Pats seems to get back there over and over again.  As much as I hate those Patties you have to respect what they're doing.  May go down as the GOAT for NFL franchises if they win it all again.

Chip seems like a real d-bag. I obviously rooted for the Eagles when he was here, but looking back, it's very satisfying that he failed in the league. Very hard to respect a person like him.
Chip certainly didn't grasp the emotional side of things that is for sure.

Def overachieved.  The offense is what ended up killing us.
you guys ran out of running backs Ajayi and clement hurt,. sproles is toast, smallwood is a JAG, adams even got hurt.....hindsight should of trade for a RB instead of golden tate. Cant help but think if you had better/healthy RB core that you beat Saints easily

you guys ran out of running backs Ajayi and clement hurt,. sproles is toast, smallwood is a JAG, adams even got hurt.....hindsight should of trade for a RB instead of golden tate. Cant help but think if you had better/healthy RB core that you beat Saints easily
Starting QB missed all off season, 2 games and got hurt again 

Lost Ajayi, Clement sucked and got hurt, Sproles kept getting hurt and Smallwood and Adams stunk

Jeffery missed all off season with a shoulder and missed 3 games. Wallace was the other starter and got to play 2 games. Mack Hollins showed flashes of potential, aggravated a groin injury and never played all year. 

OL had Peters hurt all year with a knee and elbow. Lane messed his knee up and LG was a revolving door all year long. 

Did I miss anything? The entire offense struggled and it’s easy to see why. We NEVER lined up all of our starters for a single practice let alone a game. 

Starting QB missed all off season, 2 games and got hurt again 

Lost Ajayi, Clement sucked and got hurt, Sproles kept getting hurt and Smallwood and Adams stunk

Jeffery missed all off season with a shoulder and missed 3 games. Wallace was the other starter and got to play 2 games. Mack Hollins showed flashes of potential, aggravated a groin injury and never played all year. 

OL had Peters hurt all year with a knee and elbow. Lane messed his knee up and LG was a revolving door all year long. 

Did I miss anything? The entire offense struggled and it’s easy to see why. We NEVER lined up all of our starters for a single practice let alone a game. 
I'm just hoping Wentz' knee is fully recovered and he's back to 2017 form and Kareem Hunt stays healthy all year.

#aguycandream

Yes .  We need to upgrade our rb badly

CentralPA said:
May go down as the GOAT for NFL franchises if they win it all again.
They aren't already?  They have had ZERO losing seasons since 2000, have been in 50% of the 18 Super Bowls since 2000,  and won the div 15 times in the last 16 years (tied for 1st the other year).  Like them or not, they clinched this title a while ago, and did it all while nfl parity is high.  We'll never see it again in our lifetime.

With the new information out about what Chip was really like, it just furthers my love for Jeffrey Lurie as an owner. Consider:

One of the main jobs of the owner is hiring and firing of coaches. When Lurie  took ownership, he had Rich Kotite at the helm, and after one 7-9 season (after 2 winning seasons and one 8-8 season) he concluded (correctly) that Kotite was not a good coach and fired him. Lurie brought in a hot defensive coordinator to coach in Ray Rhodes who quickly led the Eagles to two 10-6 playoff seasons. After going 6-9-1 and 3-13 the next two years, Lurie moved on and hired a relative no name QB coach, Andy Reid. We all know about Reid's success as a coach, but I think the key was that Lurie had the guts to get rid of a very successful Reid when he realized that Andy was still a good coach but not a championship coach without Jim Johnson running the defense. Based on the offensive personal the Eagles had, he now took a chance with the hot college coach in Chip Kelly to see if Chip's offense could play in the NFL. It did, at least initially, and Kelly went 10-6, 10-6, and 7-9 with the Eagles. I think a lot of owners would have stuck with Kelly after only one losing season but Lurie was obviously close enough to the action to know the kind of dysfunction Chip was sowing. He fired Kelly and went with OC Pederson who was only moderately sought after as a head coaching candidate. We all know about Doug's success so far.

So Lurie has hired 4 head coaches, and all 4 have taken teams to the playoffs. He has gotten rid of coaches quickly when warranted (Kotite, Kelly) and given coaches a little bit more time to be sure it was the right move (Rhodes, Reid). He has hired a defensive coordinator, a position coach, a college head coach, and an offensive coordinator, so he seems to be more about hiring the right guy at the time, rather than a guy which a certain kind of credentials. I am very happy with the decisions he has made as owner.

@dhockster

It is interesting. Chip left the team in shambles but also left behind some good coaches and young players.

It's a credit to Doug that when he was hired he didn't make a big deal about we got get my guys but basically took what was there.

It's also amazing how well Howie moved the dead weight of this team and now we are sitting with a Championship, young franchise QB, tons of picks heading into next season. This offseason is going to be interesting again.

@dhockster great points man! I’ve always thought Lurie was a terrific owner and seems like a genuinely good dude who cares passionately about winning and not just making money. It always bothered me when fans criticized him for only wanting to make money. Crazy talk. 

We will never know all the details but for Lurie to fire Kelly with a game left in the season speaks volumes about what was going on. Remember, they lost week 16 on a Saturday to Washington. The team then practiced Monday and Kelly in the post practice presser said he “wasn’t the GM.” That’s when Lurie said get your ### up to my office becuese you're getting fired.”

JuniorNB said:
I was a big fan of his in college but then I realized the only thing he was good at was he took advantage of a situation (USC Sanctions and a weak Conference) and what did that get him? He never won a National title and his QB is one of the biggest injury prone disappointments of the league. I've heard so many stories and when my Co Workers son got to Philly the coaches were saying they may not be in playoff contention to year 3 maybe not a legit contender till year 5. But no one expected some of the things that happened to go our way like getting rid of what many deemed untraceable contracts/players and getting something for them or Howie pulling off some magic and Pederson's play calling and how the team came together. Believe me a lot of people don't realize just how incredible this thing happened. I was told a few murmurs of a possible movie/documentary is in the works about the SB season as well but nothing concrete. 

They aren't already?  They have had ZERO losing seasons since 2000, have been in 50% of the 18 Super Bowls since 2000,  and won the div 15 times in the last 16 years (tied for 1st the other year).  Like them or not, they clinched this title a while ago, and did it all while nfl parity is high.  We'll never see it again in our lifetime.
I guess I still look at the Steelers 6 SB titles slightly (ever so slightly) ahead of the Pats but yeah, they win this one it is a no brainier then for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread