What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Browns Sign Kareem Hunt (1 Viewer)

He's facing a minimum of six games and has other 'allegations' pending.
Maybe, maybe not.  This is not a shot directed at you (or anybody else posting about Hunt's upcoming suspension), but the truth is we just don't know.  The NFL absolutely makes up their "protect the shield" rules as they go along...which means any predictions on the suspension length and timeline are just guesses.

The video didn't convince me of much.
Can you unpack this one?  The video didn't convince you of what?  That he shouldn't be suspended?  That he should have never been picked up?  Curious what you're seeing/thinking here.  

Can you unpack this one?  The video didn't convince you of what?  That he shouldn't be suspended?  That he should have never been picked up?  Curious what you're seeing/thinking here.  
As a 100% non-violent person, I expected to be disturbed to the extent I was after viewing Ray Rice's incident.  What I saw was a lot of shoving and disagreeing.  I DID find the final kick to be unnecessary.   I know people are screaming "domestic violence" (which this wasn't) and want to condemn him to the "fullest extent of the law" or, in this case, to the fullest extent of NFL rules, but let's let the punishment fit the crime -- HIS crime.  While I am usually on the other side of the fence regarding any & all violence, I am daring to go out on a limb here.  The incident, in my eyes, involved young people, who think they're all adults but know little, being foolish.  (Who remembers doing stupid #### in their early 20s?)   So, even though I don't expect my Browns to garner much on-the-field benefit here due to contract length, I would prefer that the commish studies the video & makes a lenient decision.  

Glad we have a 2nd Kareem Hunt thread to break down the video.

@Joe Bryant  it's your board so you can do as you please, but I don't see much value in starting topic-specific player threads when a player thread already exists. Now each of us who care about that player have to click on 2 separate threads to keep up with the latest info and there's duplication of info in each thread. Sorry, pet peeve :)

As a 100% non-violent person, I expected to be disturbed to the extent I was after viewing Ray Rice's incident.  What I saw was a lot of shoving and disagreeing.  I DID find the final kick to be unnecessary.   I know people are screaming "domestic violence" (which this wasn't) and want to condemn him to the "fullest extent of the law" or, in this case, to the fullest extent of NFL rules, but let's let the punishment fit the crime -- HIS crime.  While I am usually on the other side of the fence regarding any & all violence, I am daring to go out on a limb here.  The incident, in my eyes, involved young people, who think they're all adults but know little, being foolish.  (Who remembers doing stupid #### in their early 20s?)   So, even though I don't expect my Browns to garner much on-the-field benefit here due to contract length, I would prefer that the commish studies the video & makes a lenient decision.  
wow. 

this is one of the most self-contradictory posts you’ve ever made, and that’s saying a lot.  

maybe i missed it, but were you “going out on a limb” for Hunt PRIOR to the Browns signing him?

wow. 

this is one of the most self-contradictory posts you’ve ever made, and that’s saying a lot.  

maybe i missed it, but were you “going out on a limb” for Hunt PRIOR to the Browns signing him?
I had never expected, or even considered such (the signing).  When I first saw the video, my reaction was this & I filed it away in my head.  When people started speaking out about it, I had to go see if it was the same video I remembered.  I suspect my comments would be the same no matter who signed him.  When I said "going out on a limb" i meant that violence against women is a sacrosanct topic that is dangerous to address from the other side of the fence.  It's much safer to condemn than to ask for specific facts on an individual basis.  If this doesn't answer your question, I would be happy to clarify further.

I had never expected, or even considered such (the signing).  When I first saw the video, my reaction was this & I filed it away in my head.  When people started speaking out about it, I had to go see if it was the same video I remembered.  I suspect my comments would be the same no matter who signed him.  When I said "going out on a limb" i meant that violence against women is a sacrosanct topic that is dangerous to address from the other side of the fence.  It's much safer to condemn than to ask for specific facts on an individual basis.  If this doesn't answer your question, I would be happy to clarify further.
your post struck me as a convoluted justification as to why your team signed a guy you know in your gut probably isn’t worth it.  which i imagine many of us Browns fans are going through right now.  

i’m uncomfortable with their decision and don’t understand why they felt it was necessary.  

for what it’s worth, i don’t believe there is a “safe” side to this discussion.  

Glad we have a 2nd Kareem Hunt thread to break down the video.

@Joe Bryant  it's your board so you can do as you please, but I don't see much value in starting topic-specific player threads when a player thread already exists. Now each of us who care about that player have to click on 2 separate threads to keep up with the latest info and there's duplication of info in each thread. Sorry, pet peeve :)
Thanks Joey. Yes, I want us to have topic specific threads. I dislike the giant old threads with outdated titles when people want to discuss a current topic. We'll definitely keep doing these topic specific threads like this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Joey. Yes, I want us to have topic specific threads. I dislike the giant old threads with outdated titles when people want to discuss a current topic. We'll definitely keep doing these topic specific threads like this. 
Booooo!!!!

;)

thanks for the reply. 

Don't you think the fact that this isn't the first, or the second, but the third incident involving this "young person" deciding that the best way to handle a situation is with violence should impact the commish's decision?

Don't you think the fact the the NFL's policy governing this issue, while commonly referred to as the "domestic abuse/violence" policy ISN'T actually called that, matters?  It's actually the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, and the very first example of prohibited conduct is mentions is: 

Actual or threatened physical violence against another person, including dating violence, domestic violence, child abuse, and other forms of family violence;
 So, while you might want to pick nits and say that legally this isn't domestic/dating violence, (while I disagree with you), this isn't a legal situation, and what Hunt did, very clearly is a violation of the NFL's policy.

Maybe, maybe not.  This is not a shot directed at you (or anybody else posting about Hunt's upcoming suspension), but the truth is we just don't know.  The NFL absolutely makes up their "protect the shield" rules as they go along...which means any predictions on the suspension length and timeline are just guesses.
True, the more accurate statement would be "he's facing a minimum suspension of 6 games, and maybe more, or maybe less, if the NFL wants to make #### up as they go, which wouldn't be all that surprising."

Don't you think the fact that this isn't the first, or the second, but the third incident involving this "young person" deciding that the best way to handle a situation is with violence should impact the commish's decision?

Don't you think the fact the the NFL's policy governing this issue, while commonly referred to as the "domestic abuse/violence" policy ISN'T actually called that, matters?  It's actually the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy, and the very first example of prohibited conduct is mentions is: 

So, while you might want to pick nits and say that legally this isn't domestic/dating violence, (while I disagree with you), this isn't a legal situation, and what Hunt did, very clearly is a violation of the NFL's policy.
I don't know the details of other incidents.  If I had to guess, because they went unnoticed up to this point, I'd say they're probably less egregious and inconsequential.  If they were bigger than the one we know about, I'm pretty sure the media would be all over them.  The very little I've heard seems to point in that direction, but I have to admit that I'm guessing here.  

You are trending toward  an interesting concept, though.  At what point is an offense so egregious that someone should lose his career?  Felony level?  With a conviction?  Making the shield look less than pristine?  Somewhere in between?  Good question!

what Hunt did, very clearly is a violation of the NFL's policy.
This doesn't mean anything.  There are countless "clear violations" of the policy in the NFL... You don't even have to look past Hunt's own teammates on the Chiefs for blatant hypocrisy around it.

The Personal Conduct Policy in the NFL is nothing but a PR mechanism, and there is no way you can take it seriously.

The actual incident on video is really quite mild.. I'm not sure "violence" is a word I would use to describe that scuffle.  But that doesn't matter either.  All that matters is that there is a video that creates a PR issue, which is what triggers enforcement of the NFL's "policy".  

Actual or threatened physical violence against another person, including dating violence, domestic violence, child abuse, and other forms of family violence;

Well, since you appear to be the self appointed expert on NFL policy and you are insisting on a very strict interpretation of the clause in the policy you quoted - Under your very strict and rigid interpretation, with absolutely no room for any extenuating circumstances that you have no interest in allowing, under a strict adherence to the portion of the policy that you cited, shouldn’t almost every player in the NFL be suspended for multiple games for the violence that they commit against other people in every game?

At what point is an offense so egregious that someone should lose his career?  
This is the joke.

The level of the offense is irrelevant.  The bar is very clearly whether or not the NFL PR feels the need for damage control.  

True, the more accurate statement would be "he's facing a minimum suspension of 6 games, and maybe more, or maybe less, if the NFL wants to make #### up as they go, which wouldn't be all that surprising."
You seem to be basing these claims on the wording of a policy that has been a demonstrably worthless basis for any such claims.

You seem to be basing these claims on the wording of a policy that has been a demonstrably worthless basis for any such claims.

You seem like a pretty smart guy.  Don’t you understand that this is not a government creating laws?  It is a business with personnel policies, and as such as long as it doesn’t violate Federal and local laws and statutes that they can interpret and enforce those policies as they see fit and in their own best self interest.  And thankfully so, I might add, or the league would have ceased to exist decades ago.

You seem like a pretty smart guy.  Don’t you understand that this is not a government creating laws?  It is a business with personnel policies, and as such as long as it doesn’t violate Federal and local laws and statutes that they can interpret and enforce those policies as they see fit and in their own best self interest.  And thankfully so, I might add, or the league would have ceased to exist decades ago.
Correct.. which is why it is so odd to see you (or anyone) making ANY claims about what should could or will happen around it.

The words are a farce.  The Personal Conduct Policy has nothing to do with personal conduct.

I don't know the details of other incidents.  If I had to guess, because they went unnoticed up to this point, I'd say they're probably less egregious and inconsequential.  If they were bigger than the one we know about, I'm pretty sure the media would be all over them.  The very little I've heard seems to point in that direction, but I have to admit that I'm guessing here.  

You are trending toward  an interesting concept, though.  At what point is an offense so egregious that someone should lose his career?  Felony level?  With a conviction?  Making the shield look less than pristine?  Somewhere in between?  Good question!
Obviously there is a point, but that's not what I was getting at.  

This isn't an isolated incident, AND, the term "domestic violence," although used often when discussing these situations, isn't the issue.  The policy specifically covers acts of violence, whether you would define them as domestic or dating violence.  The assumptions you were making, with regards to this being a minor issue (it's not), and that it wasn't really domestic violence (doesn't matter) would lead the commish to being lenient, were faulty assumptions.

Well, since you appear to be the self appointed expert on NFL policy and you are insisting on a very strict interpretation of the clause in the policy you quoted - Under your very strict and rigid interpretation, with absolutely no room for any extenuating circumstances that you have no interest in allowing, under a strict adherence to the portion of the policy that you cited, shouldn’t almost every player in the NFL be suspended for multiple games for the violence that they commit against other people in every game?
Being able to read doesn't make one an expert; the policy is readily available on line.  Feel free to read it and create your own informed opinion.

As for the rest of your ridiculous post, have a nice day.

the truth is we just don't know.
We don't but the NFL has a MINIMUM BASELINE in place of six game suspension on recently updated policies from pressure over a recent video taped assault and this is the first test to see if they follow through.

Hunt has not one, not two, but three incidents over a period of months and when confronted he tried to mislead KC.  They dropped him and no team would touch him till now.

THREE INCIDENTS in less than one year, two of them with video evidence.  On a hot topic that the NFL had to change a policy to increase the punishment.

Their isn't precedence so yeah we don't' know exactly what will happen but we can come to a logical conclusion that he's facing a minimum suspension of six games and feel very confident that is the minimum that he'll face. 

Obviously there is a point, but that's not what I was getting at.  

This isn't an isolated incident, AND, the term "domestic violence," although used often when discussing these situations, isn't the issue.  The policy specifically covers acts of violence, whether you would define them as domestic or dating violence.  The assumptions you were making, with regards to this being a minor issue (it's not), and that it wasn't really domestic violence (doesn't matter) would lead the commish to being lenient, were faulty assumptions.
You acknowledge that the policy itself is worthless and up to interpretation... then post with the specifics of the policy as your basis to argue from.

I am confused.

I'm not sure what you mean by "basing these claims."  You quoted a post I made that was clearly (I thought) sarcastic about how the NFL ignores their own policy when it serves their best interest.  I made no claims in that post.

I'm not sure what you mean by "basing these claims."  You quoted a post I made that was clearly (I thought) sarcastic about how the NFL ignores their own policy when it serves their best interest.  I made no claims in that post.
I believe I briefly confused my capital "B" posters. :bag:

You acknowledge that the policy itself is worthless and up to interpretation... then post with the specifics of the policy as your basis to argue from.

I am confused.
I'm not arguing one thing or another about how the NFL WILL interpret the policy, or how they SHOULD interpret the policy, only what the policy says.  My initial post today was in response to someone believing the commish should be lenient b/c what Hunt did wasn't actually domestic violence, and it wasn't that bad, and it was just a young person making a single mistake.  I pointed out that the policy doesn't require an incident to be legally defined as "domestic violence," that it was bad, and that it wasn't just a young person making one mistake.

Again, I have no idea how the NFL WILL or SHOULD discipline Hunt, I'm merely posting what is in the policy.

I've noticed a certain poster here never really ever talks about football - but loves this off the field drama stuff and eats it up like an old woman and her soap opera stories - and the worst part is he usually argues vigorously without any real legal understanding and ends up spouting a bunch of meaningless crap over and over again.

I suppose I should just put this guy on ignore but I guess I'm a bit fascinated by it in some strange car wreck sort of way - it's just really odd that some one comes to a fantasy football message aboard only to discuss, suspensions, holdouts, arrests and bad actions and once engaged will never let anything go. Truly fascinating.

At the same time it surely ruins every topic he posts in - and this Kareem Hunt stuff has truly been beaten to death at this point. Oh well, we all like what we like I guess. 

We don't but the NFL has a MINIMUM BASELINE in place of six game suspension on recently updated policies from pressure over a recent video taped assault and this is the first test to see if they follow through.

Hunt has not one, not two, but three incidents over a period of months and when confronted he tried to mislead KC.  They dropped him and no team would touch him till now.

THREE INCIDENTS in less than one year, two of them with video evidence.  On a hot topic that the NFL had to change a policy to increase the punishment.

Their isn't precedence so yeah we don't' know exactly what will happen but we can come to a logical conclusion that he's facing a minimum suspension of six games and feel very confident that is the minimum that he'll face. 

No team would touch him because he was on the exclusion list.  There was no reason for any team to take on the PR with absolutely no idea of what the future would hold.

Now we’ve got more data, so it is reasonable to make educated guesses at the outcome.  A minimum of 6 games might be the outcome, but there is also a possibility that the games he spent on the exclusion list last season might be counted against some or part of any suspension.  The rationale for that is that Hunt has shown what appears to be genuine remorse and regret for his behavior, and that by all accounts he has been participating very successfully in rehabilitation programs and permanently modifying his behavior.  That could be used to mitigate any future suspension.  He has already missed 5 games as a result and that could reasonably be counted as part of a suspension at the discretion of the commissioner.

Taken as a whole, there really is no way to determine how many games Hunt will miss this season with any strong degree of certainty.  The Browns clearly felt strongly enough that there would be a positive outcome in how it shakes out so much so that they jumped ahead of the curve and signed him despite this uncertainty - which makes you wonder if they hadn’t been performing some extra due diligence and perhaps had some information that lead them to do so.

No team would touch him because he was on the exclusion list.  There was no reason for any team to take on the PR with absolutely no idea of what the future would hold.

Now we’ve got more data, so it is reasonable to make educated guesses at the outcome.  A minimum of 6 games might be the outcome, but there is also a possibility that the games he spent on the exclusion list last season might be counted against some or part of any suspension.  The rationale for that is that Hunt has shown what appears to be genuine remorse and regret for his behavior, and that by all accounts he has been participating very successfully in rehabilitation programs and permanently modifying his behavior.  That could be used to mitigate any future suspension.  He has already missed 5 games as a result and that could reasonably be counted as part of a suspension at the discretion of the commissioner.

Taken as a whole, there really is no way to determine how many games Hunt will miss this season with any strong degree of certainty.  The Browns clearly felt strongly enough that there would be a positive outcome in how it shakes out so much so that they jumped ahead of tge curve and signed him despite this uncertainty - which makes you wonder if they hadn’t been performing some extra due diligence and perhaps had some information that lead them to do so.
That had nothing to do with the NFL offices.  He was cut by a franchise because he no longer fit into what they expected of a player (I realize the hypocrisy of that with Tyreek) but it appears Hunt lied to some degree about what happened in the video before the video became public.  The Chiefs front office just didn't want to be associated any longer with Hunt. 

I just disagree that the NFL will count any of those games since he was not in the NFL and was not disciplined by the NFL office for these violations. 

That had nothing to do with the NFL offices.  He was cut by a franchise because he no longer fit into what they expected of a player (I realize the hypocrisy of that with Tyreek) but it appears Hunt lied to some degree about what happened in the video before the video became public.  The Chiefs front office just didn't want to be associated any longer with Hunt. 

I just disagree that the NFL will count any of those games since he was not in the NFL and was not disciplined by the NFL office for these violations. 

That the Chiefs cut him had nothing to do with NFL policy. That he was not signed by another team absolutely had to do with the NFL putting him on the exclusion list.  And you could absolutely be correct that the commissioner will not count time served.  There’s just no way to know.

Taken as a whole, there really is no way to determine how many games Hunt will miss this season with any strong degree of certainty.  The Browns clearly felt strongly enough that there would be a positive outcome in how it shakes out so much so that they jumped ahead of the curve and signed him despite this uncertainty - which makes you wonder if they hadn’t been performing some extra due diligence and perhaps had some information that lead them to do so.
He was cut and went unclaimed in late November.  He was then put on an exempt list.

Hunt is still on the exempt list.  >>> Kareem Hunt Unclaimed on Waivers, Remains on Commissioner Exempt List

Kareem Hunt went unclaimed on waivers Monday, making him an unrestricted free agent, 

he is now free to sign with any team, he remains on the Commissioner Exempt List

The NFL has instituted a policy of six-game suspensions for domestic violence offenses, but the 23-year-old may face an even harsher punishment.

According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the league has also been investigating a June incident during which Hunt reportedly punched a man in the face. Hunt's multiple violations of the league's personal conduct policy could keep him off the field throughout the remainder of the 2018 season and well into the 2019 season.
questions about whether the league is doing enough to hold players accountable for their behavior off the field

The Chiefs, in a statement, said that several members of their management team had spoken directly with Hunt after the team learned of the incident in February. “Kareem was not truthful in those discussions,” 

accusations against Kareem Hunt are a fresh reminder of the N.F.L.’s conflicted approach to players accused of assault and domestic abuse. The league has vowed to take a hard line on cases of domestic abuse...

the league introduced several new policies that included stiffer penalties for players found to have committed domestic abuse, less reliance on law enforcement for guidance and a more robust investigative team at the N.F.L.

Still, the response to incidents has been uneven. In 2016, the league suspended Josh Brown, a Giants kicker, for one game because it believed he had committed only one act of violence against his wife.

The league later suspended him indefinitely with pay after police documents showed Brown wrote about being “physically, verbally and emotionally” abusive to his wife.

..., some former N.F.L. players were quick to condemn Kareem Hunt. “I thought I was a perfect example of what NOT to do!!!!” the former Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, who was convicted of domestic violence, said on Twitter. “I thought by speaking aloud about my pitfalls that players after me could see these situations before they happen.”

Ray Crockett, a retired defensive back who played a part of his career for Kansas City, lashed out at the league.

“NFL, this is a bad look for the League!” he wrote on Twitter. “You cant just act like you are against domestic violence. You have to be about it. Kareem Hunt has to be suspended.”

Within hours of that message, the league and the Chiefs acted to keep Hunt off the field.

He was cut and went unclaimed in late November.  He was then put on an exempt list.

Hunt is still on the exempt list.  >>> Kareem Hunt Unclaimed on Waivers, Remains on Commissioner Exempt List

questions about whether the league is doing enough to hold players accountable for their behavior off the field

Exempt list.  Thank you.  I don’t know why exclusion list was sticking in my head.

The NFL placed Hunt on the Exempt list prior to his being cut:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000994151/article/nfl-places-kareem-hunt-on-commissioner-exempt-list

The Chiefs released Hunt a short time after he was placed on the Commissioner Exempt List.

Yes, he is still on the Exempt list awaiting the commissioners decision regarding his suspension.  And the Browns have signed him.

Does anyone think he ends up in Cleveland if Dorsey doesn't have previous ties / conversations with him & his agent?

Does anyone think he ends up in Cleveland if Dorsey doesn't have previous ties / conversations with him & his agent?
No.

Beside the point of Hunt and what he did.  Leonard Little killed someone and played 12 seasons in The NFL. But the incident happened  before Goodell started as Commish

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

NFL is suspending Browns’ RB Kareem Hunt for eight games for violating its personal conduct policy, league source tells ESPN.

...The rationale for that is that Hunt has shown what appears to be genuine remorse and regret for his behavior, and that by all accounts he has been participating very successfully in rehabilitation programs and permanently modifying his behavior.  That could be used to mitigate any future suspension.  He has already missed 5 games as a result and that could reasonably be counted as part of a suspension at the discretion of the commissioner.

I don't think that the Browns had any more information other than Dorsey's direct connection to him and being able to judge his level of risk VS. recidivism and I also bet he knew that Hunt was facing a minimum suspension of six + games.  

The league has a history of reducing suspensions after they announce them but that policy has come back to bite them so I still feel strongly that he will serve at least a minimum of a six game suspension.  

Hopefully people come into the thread and rehash what was on the video and when it's ok to slap a woman around - that will be fun.

This could work out well for the Browns, as when Chubb gets banged up/worn down a little by mid-season, Hunt is there to pick up some slack and run on defenses with his fresh legs.

I don't think that the Browns had any more information other than Dorsey's direct connection to him and being able to judge his level of risk VS. recidivism and I also bet he knew that Hunt was facing a minimum suspension of six + games.  

The league has a history of reducing suspensions after they announce them but that policy has come back to bite them so I still feel strongly that he will serve at least a minimum of a six game suspension.  

Yeah, barring something unusual I think you’re probably spot on given the recent news.

Let's say he went unsigned for 2019.  His suspension would start once he got signed, right? Again, I aver that Dorsey did him a favor.

Let's say he went unsigned for 2019.  His suspension would start once he got signed, right? Again, I aver that Dorsey did him a favor.
That is what is weird about the suspensions.  A 4 game suspension could easily end the career of an average player because a team won't want to have them inactive for 4 games.  

Signing hunt unnecessarily tarnished the awesome rebuild these guys are doing. 

It'd be different if they hadn't just gone through the Josh Gordon/Johnny Manziel years and come out better from it, but they aren't desperate for talent anymore.

This is a team that has a ton of talent in the room and needs good character to bring it together.  Mayfield's a leader but i don't know if he's the kind of leader to deal with this.  OBJ is a great talent but he wasn't a team captain in New York.  There's a bunch of guys who just arrived in Cleveland and a few who have a year or maybe two with the team but there's no long term veteran to call the shots.

Where is the character that defines this team? And if it's still under construction, how does bringing in hunt help them get there?  

Users who are viewing this thread