What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wealth concentration returning to ‘levels last seen during the Roaring Twenties' (1 Viewer)

I don’t see how this is discussed without a political angle being introduced. 

I guess Chet jokes and such.

The political forum isn’t bad. Don’t be scared. 
If the test is "anything that has a political angle," just rename the FFA the PSF?

Not sure how this is political since this wealth concentration has been progressing through multiple administrations.  Federal Reserve policy probably has more to do with it than anything.

:shrug:  I keep getting richer every day/week/year outside market corrections. It's been over a decade since our net worth has gone down.

Now, on the other hand, if you want to steal some of their $ and give it to me, I'll sign up.

Its horrible....I waded in there after an absence for a while, I don't understand how FBGs can be so bad to one another. 

I mean Trump or not--it saddens me what has become of this place. This used to be our fun place where we could disagree but at the end of the day, still all laugh if off. 

Maybe I am just naive or drunk (I am guessing the later  :banned:

@timschochet

“Those 400 Americans own more of the country’s riches than the 150 million adults in the bottom 60 percent of the wealth distribution”

This is where we have gotten and it’s only getting worse.

Not sure how this is political since this wealth concentration has been progressing through multiple administrations.  Federal Reserve policy probably has more to do with it than anything.
They are like hungry coyotes trying to lure this back to the pack......keep it on the economy and in FFA. I think you are correct a lot of it’s on Fed policy. 

Its horrible....I waded in there after an absence for a while, I don't understand how FBGs can be so bad to one another. 

I mean Trump or not--it saddens me what has become of this place. This used to be our fun place where we could disagree but at the end of the day, still all laugh if off. 

Maybe I am just naive or drunk (I am guessing the later  :banned:
I post and read in there quite a bit. There are a handful of folks that argue in weird ways after that I find it pretty good place to have back and forth. 

They are like hungry coyotes trying to lure this back to the pack......keep it on the economy and in FFA. I think you are correct a lot of it’s on Fed policy. 
Fed policy and tech innovation are behind this. Trickle down and centrist policies since then as well. Wall Street allowing Bezos to kill retail didn’t help and letting the waltons do it before as the rationale is not the appropriate answer. 

Fed policy and tech innovation are behind this. Trickle down and centrist policies since then as well. Wall Street allowing Bezos to kill retail didn’t help and letting the waltons do it before as the rationale is not the appropriate answer. 
How did Wall Street allow this?  There’s nothing that could have been done to stop it is there?  

@Otis how much do you think you should be taxed?
It’s not about me; I’m not in that wealth bracket. 

My view on it has always been pretty simple. People outside the one percent, and even in the one percent, who have to work for a living to make money, to pay a mortgage, to save for college etc.?  Those people should be taxed within a certain range and this includes high earners.  But those truly rich dudes who make money off of other money — the trust fund babies, the ones amassing wealth just by virtue of having wealth through enormous amounts of investment income—should be taxed at a far far higher rate.  

Where is the cutoff before that second range should hit?  I don’t know. $5MM income per year?  $10MM?  You’d have to set it high enough such that you don’t impact a “regular guy” who has busted his butt to save money and who lives a “normal” or modest life off the interest he’s saved.  But let’s tax the #### out of the guy taking regular helicopter rides to his luxury condo that has a supercar doubling as a room divider. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s not about me; I’m not in that wealth bracket. 

My view on it has always been pretty simple. People outside the one percent, and even in the one percent, who have to work for a living to make money, to pay a mortgage, to save for college etc.?  Those people should be taxed within a certain range and this includes high earners.  But those truly rich dudes who make money off of other money — the trust fund babies, the ones amassing wealth just by virtue of having wealth through enormous amounts of investment income—should be taxed at a far far higher rate.  

Where is the cutoff before that second range should hit?  I don’t know. $5MM income per year?  $10MM?  You’d have to set it high enough such that you don’t impact a “regular guy” who has busted his butt to save money and who lives a “normal” or modest life off the interest he’s saved.  But let’s tax the #### out of the guy taking regular helicopter rides to his luxury condo that has a supercar doubling as a room divider. 
Agree with this.  The math alone combined with capitalism natural inclination to hold down wages can lead to no other outcome without some kind of intervention by government.

Sorry, but our country should be beyond having a few people earn tens of millions annually while many more barely make ends meet and kids who go hungry. 

I’m going to quote this again just because it’s an astounding thing to read:

”Those 400 Americans own more of the country’s riches than the 150 million adults in the bottom 60 percent of the wealth distribution”
Crazy. That means if you halved the income of those 400 people, you could double the income of the 60% of the country that needs it most. 

Our tax code has been altered in such a way that it makes protecting wealth rather easy.  One could probably make a justification for The Fed, but I think our tax policy has been significantly more problematic.  It has not adapted as we shift from a manufacturing country to a consumer driven country and the changes that HAVE been made are really for those who are really rich, not necessarily to make more money but to easily keep what they have been given.

I’m going to quote this again just because it’s an astounding thing to read:

”Those 400 Americans own more of the country’s riches than the 150 million adults in the bottom 60 percent of the wealth distribution”
If your net worth is $1 you own more than most of the bottom half.  

The middle class, not a factor the last time we crashed, is going to be interesting to watch next time. But, then again, it's pretty much their fault. In the first decade or so of post-war prosperity, there was a lot more focus on sharing (if you were white, that is) among the new middle class, because folks were well familiar with the deprivations of depression & war and there was a lot of "there but for the grace of God" and a lot more community/parish identity. But, as confidence grew, people who'd grown up poor felt more that they deserved this & more and America became the Land of Wealth instead of Land of Opportunity. The "ingratitude" of the counterculture made the silent majority more insular and, by the time "Morning in America" arrived,  our country was rooting for wealth & greed & opulence a lot more than for a nation that was only as strong as its weakest link. And, of course, the entire point of media - another non-entity last time around but a more important factor than perhaps even the distribution of wealth these days - became the conversion of citizenship to customerhood

Now, we have two full generations who really have no idea what privation or sacrifice (or cooperation) is. They will be the dominoes in the next collapse and it will be compelling & heartbreaking to hear how loudly they clack.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we could travel back in time to when Bezos was fulfilling Amazon orders driving them in his Civic to the Post Office and ask him: "In 20 years years you will be the worlds richest man, but you will have to pay 90% in taxes."  I'm sure he'd say: "If that's the case, I'll just keep my day job."

If we could travel back in time to when Bezos was fulfilling Amazon orders driving them in his Civic to the Post Office and ask him: "In 20 years years you will be the worlds richest man, but you will have to pay 90% in taxes."  I'm sure he'd say: "If that's the case, I'll just keep my day job."
Why would he ever have to do that?

Exactly. The concern about disincentivizing people like him is stupid.  He’s going to do what he did regardless of taxes. The bigger problem is the stranglehold the super rich have on politics and our government. 

If we could travel back in time to 1976 when Steve Jobs and Woz first met and started Apple, and ask him: "In 30 years years you will be one of the worlds richest men, but you will die of cancer in 2011 at age 56."  I'm sure he'd say: "If that's the case, I'll just keep my day job."

Users who are viewing this thread