What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Uber/Lyft question (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
I searched for the old thread that I thought existed on U & L but came up empty.

I have used both U & L on a limited basis but not in the way I will need one later this week. I have to be at the airport by 6am  on Friday. That is going to require a 5am pickup. I can’t miss this flight. 

1. What are the odds I find anyone driving at that time when I view the app? I know I could wake up 5 and check but am hoping someone already knows.

2. Can I schedule a ride? Anyone try this and were the rides on time, late, etc? 

Thanks!

Done it, very early, with Uber & Lyft many times. You're good.

Early morning airport rides are primetime for Uber & Lyft drivers.

Where do you live?   I never have to wait longer than 5 minutes regardless if its late night or early morning so I have never reserved a ride but I live in a major city.  Uber drivers do big business for the early morning airport drives so I think you should be fine.  If you live in bfe, just reserve a car.  

Where do you live?   I never have to wait longer than 5 minutes regardless if its late night or early morning so I have never reserved a ride but I live in a major city.  Uber drivers do big business for the early morning airport drives so I think you should be fine.  If you live in bfe, just reserve a car.  
I am south of Orlando (not where I live but staying) about 20 miles to the airport. 

Schedule the ride with uber and they guarantee someone will be there within 10 mins of your selected time. So choose 4:50 and you'll be fine.

I am south of Orlando (not where I live but staying) about 20 miles to the airport. 
You'll be fine.  You can even do a test run a few days before and get an idea of what's available if you pull up the app at your desired time.  It'll show all the cars in your area on the map.  Since you seem concerned, just reserve a time as previously stated.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I scheduled a ride with Lyft for tomorrow. It says that the ride has been confirmed but does not tell me with who yet. Fingers crossed! 

I scheduled a ride with Lyft for tomorrow. It says that the ride has been confirmed but does not tell me with who yet. Fingers crossed! 
It's not going to be with a specific person, it'll just be with whoever accepts it roughly 15-20 mins before your scheduled time. But that's basically the point: they don't expect a shortage of available cars at that point, so you'll be fine.

Yeah the app has no way of knowing what driver(s) will be in your area tomorrow morning.  But they have magic algorithms that say they'll find someone that will get to you at the requested time.  Don't worry, they have their %&#$ together, you'll be fine.

All appears to be well, ride is 5 minutes away. Thanks!

Edit to add: Arrived at the airport and now waiting for the flight. Thanks for the direction good buddy’s! 

Good info here as I need to do the same thing for next week. 

Only hiccup is that I've never used Uber before and when I went to create an account this morning it turns out that an old for has created a headache for me.

Some dingus regularly gives out my email address as his own erroneously. I know it's erroneous because I've received emails from companies about job interviews, all sorts of reservations, etc. Normally I just ignore it and shrug my shoulders knowing he screwed himself. I used to try to help him out on the job interview stuff by replying back letting the employer know there was a mistake and to try to call him (knowing they would probably just trash his resume for making such a dumb mistake but trying to help the guy anyway).

Well, this is the first time where I've tried to sign up for something and found that I can't sign up because he managed to get my email address associated with his phone number. So when I try to login or change passwords to make the account mine, I can't because it is sending the verification code to his phone.

So now I have a ticket in with Uber trying to resolve it. I'm hoping they just terminate his account and let me start afresh. Screw that guy. No idea how they even let him finish establishing the link between my email address and his phone number without making him verify the email address.

Good info here as I need to do the same thing for next week. 

Only hiccup is that I've never used Uber before and when I went to create an account this morning it turns out that an old for has created a headache for me.

Some dingus regularly gives out my email address as his own erroneously. I know it's erroneous because I've received emails from companies about job interviews, all sorts of reservations, etc. Normally I just ignore it and shrug my shoulders knowing he screwed himself. I used to try to help him out on the job interview stuff by replying back letting the employer know there was a mistake and to try to call him (knowing they would probably just trash his resume for making such a dumb mistake but trying to help the guy anyway).

Well, this is the first time where I've tried to sign up for something and found that I can't sign up because he managed to get my email address associated with his phone number. So when I try to login or change passwords to make the account mine, I can't because it is sending the verification code to his phone.

So now I have a ticket in with Uber trying to resolve it. I'm hoping they just terminate his account and let me start afresh. Screw that guy. No idea how they even let him finish establishing the link between my email address and his phone number without making him verify the email address.
I have some idiot that has done the same thing with my gmail account. I even emailed his dad to let him know that the son is a dolt, but I guess that I would not be surprising him with my revelation. 

Anyone ever use lyft at an airport?

I am flying into Phoenix soon, and was looking into getting a lyft to my dad's place about 20-25 miles away.  

Just wondering how easy it is to get, or if they even do airport pickups much.

I would also be looking to use lyft at like 6am the morning I head back to the airport.  

I am flying into Phoenix soon, and was looking into getting a lyft to my dad's place about 20-25 miles away.  

I would also be looking to use lyft at like 6am the morning I head back to the airport.  
They are stacked at the airport like cordwood.  You'll be fine.

It will be easy peasy.

Hey guys I'm going to NYC next week. How easy is it to get a slice of pizza.

Is Lyft better than uber? We've had to go with uber black because the quality of the cars and drivers in their regular level has really gotten bad here in NY.

Is Lyft better than uber? We've had to go with uber black because the quality of the cars and drivers in their regular level has really gotten bad here in NY.
In my area, many drivers work both services and switch back and forth between the two during the day

IDK about other airports, but in Orlando (where I use U/L the most), there have designated 'Ride Share/App" pick up locations outside of the baggage claim. If you use U/L just make sure you meet them at the right pick up spot. I almost made the mistake of selecting the wrong spot the 1st time I used it at an airport

IDK about other airports, but in Orlando (where I use U/L the most), there have designated 'Ride Share/App" pick up locations outside of the baggage claim. If you use U/L just make sure you meet them at the right pick up spot. I almost made the mistake of selecting the wrong spot the 1st time I used it at an airport
Yeah, it seems like this has been a trend in a growing number of airports.  

As for Uber v. Lyft, I see them as pretty much the same.   I always check both services and go with the cheapest quote.  

I will be taking an Uber to work for the next 2 weeks or so. Have a ride home but leaving house at 430am daily.

What is your criteria for tipping? I'm not going far, basically an $11 ride each morning. Monday, tipped driver $1. Today's ride, no trip for driver. Both were no issue rides, Monday driver was more cordial and talkative at that time of morning. Today's driver never said a word except "good morning and confirmed final destination." Both drivers received 5 stars.

I will be taking an Uber to work for the next 2 weeks or so. Have a ride home but leaving house at 430am daily.

What is your criteria for tipping? I'm not going far, basically an $11 ride each morning. Monday, tipped driver $1. Today's ride, no trip for driver. Both were no issue rides, Monday driver was more cordial and talkative at that time of morning. Today's driver never said a word except "good morning and confirmed final destination." Both drivers received 5 stars.
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% is a pretty typical service oriented tip, IMO.  My last three rides were 11, 15, and 23.  I tipped 3, 5 and 5 respectively.  I don’t have much rhyme or reason, depends on my mood, I guess.  I don’t use Uber very often though.

I sometime don't tip at all, which is a bad habit.  But the only time I really use Uber/Lyft is when I'm going out for some beers or whatever, so I often forget once I'm at my location or get home and just pass out.  

But I try and tip whenever possible.  Usually 15-20%.  If it's a cheap ride... $10 or so... usually 1-2 bucks depending on how gregarious the driver is.  If they don't say a word, even after me prompting them to have a nice chat, then meh... I'll tip less.

I've had to take Uber/Lyft from LAX back to my house twice before, and in each case I tipped like 20% since it was like $150+ and an hour drive.

I sometime don't tip at all, which is a bad habit.  But the only time I really use Uber/Lyft is when I'm going out for some beers or whatever, so I often forget once I'm at my location or get home and just pass out.  

But I try and tip whenever possible.  Usually 15-20%.  If it's a cheap ride... $10 or so... usually 1-2 bucks depending on how gregarious the driver is.  If they don't say a word, even after me prompting them to have a nice chat, then meh... I'll tip less.

I've had to take Uber/Lyft from LAX back to my house twice before, and in each case I tipped like 20% since it was like $150+ and an hour drive.

You guys tip MORE if they are all chatty with you?    Damn, be quiet and just let me be...I'll throw a few extra bucks your way for the silence.

I mean it all depends on where you are, but many Uber/Lyft drivers I've encountered dont speak english well. I'd rather be left alone on my drive then try and play translator for 25 minutes. 

I usually tip the middle button selection. I know these guys rely on their tips, esp with gas prices these days. The tip goes up or down depending on if the car is clean, smell is tolerable, I dont mind conversation if its free flowing and easy, so I'll tip a little extra for that. But I always tip. Unfortunately, U/L is a 2 way service and your rating plays a lot into your overall service in the future. IDK how drivers get to rate you, on what criteria, but I try and stay as nice as possible. 

You guys tip MORE if they are all chatty with you?    Damn, be quiet and just let me be...I'll throw a few extra bucks your way for the silence.

I find this funny as well.  They aren't paid much and a good portion don't speak English well so I'm not holding it against them if their conversational skills are lacking.  Just get me to my location safely in a clean car and you're getting a 20-30% tip.   

Shocking, I know.  :lol:   

Like I noted, most of the times I'm using Uber/Lyft it's to go to/from a bar, so I'm usually in a chipper mood and tend to be a chatty guy in those situations.

I try and tip no matter what... but will sometimes add a buck if the ride includes an enjoyable conversation.

I find this funny as well.  They aren't paid much and a good portion don't speak English well so I'm not holding it against them if their conversational skills are lacking.  Just get me to my location safely in a clean car and you're getting a 20-30% tip.   

Majority of drivers around me speak English.  :shrug:  

Is the schedule option reliable?  I just fear whoever accepted it can flake out at the last minute, and a car service for a 5am pickup is more reliable (that’s what I am doing Monday morning). 

Is the schedule option reliable?  I just fear whoever accepted it can flake out at the last minute, and a car service for a 5am pickup is more reliable (that’s what I am doing Monday morning). 

I don't think the driver accepts the ride until the last minute. The difference is just that instead of guessing whether you need to hail the ride 7 minutes before you need it, or 15 minutes, or 24 minutes ... Uber (or Lyft) does the guessing for you (and hails a driver at the appropriate time) because their informational advantage makes them pretty good at guessing.

I don't think the driver accepts the ride until the last minute. The difference is just that instead of guessing whether you need to hail the ride 7 minutes before you need it, or 15 minutes, or 24 minutes ... Uber (or Lyft) does the guessing for you (and hails a driver at the appropriate time) because their informational advantage makes them pretty good at guessing.
So if nobody is active near you that accepts, then what?  No guaranteed pickup ?

So if nobody is active near you that accepts, then what?  No guaranteed pickup ?
If you're in a somewhat populated area it's not a worry.  Early morning to catch flights is primetime for serious drivers. I imagine Uber/Lyft gives some significant bonuses to drivers during off-hours to make sure nobody gets stranded.

Uber lets you schedule rides 
Good luck with that. I’ve done it for airport rides. Had to end up driving myself. And that was to LAX. I was so loyal to Uber but I’m done. Unreliable wait times, drivers cancel all the time, higher rates than Lyft

Lyft is better imho. 
I have both apps in a folder and anytime I use it I plug in address on both and just go with the cheaper one.   There's no rhyme or reason to which one is cheaper but it's usually like a $2-$5 difference for a 20 min drive.   In my area the same drivers work for both companies (literally have both stickers on their car)

Good luck with that. I’ve done it for airport rides. Had to end up driving myself. And that was to LAX. I was so loyal to Uber but I’m done. Unreliable wait times, drivers cancel all the time, higher rates than Lyft
This is what I cannot have happen.  I have a 5:30am pickup Monday to PHI and opted for a car service because of this fear. 

I was planning on scheduling an Uber for my return flight though in Park City at 8:30am because the time feels more reliable.  However, I am told that Uber's are hard to come by in Park City, so now not sure what to do.

This is what I cannot have happen.  I have a 5:30am pickup Monday to PHI and opted for a car service because of this fear. 

I was planning on scheduling an Uber for my return flight though in Park City at 8:30am because the time feels more reliable.  However, I am told that Uber's are hard to come by in Park City, so now not sure what to do.
You will not find an Uber in park city at 8:30. I always schedule through protrans.  Very reliable and competitively priced. 

Users who are viewing this thread