What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travel dilemma (2 Viewers)

This is why I never attach myself/my family to a group. Tell me when and where and I’ll make it happen. Or I won’t. Either way, we’re not inconveniencing them, and they’re not inconveniencing us.

Keep the peace? Wait for others? I thought this was a vacation?!?!?
Yeah, my wife and I have done most of our "fun" vacation trips with other couples or family the last few years and, while it took my wife to come to the conclusion longer than me, we have recently agreed that our "fun" vacation trips need to be just us or just our immediate family (i.e. kids coming along). It's just too much stress , unnecessary potential drama, and, at the very least, some inevitable inconvenience or foregoing of an activity to include even the best friends and family (which, to be clear, are who we are vacationing with).

Yeah it changes things, sorry. Sounds like she's been the point person on this. If she committed you to wait.....and she did, then you should either wait or find a way to accommodate everyone. Kind hard to single him out as the odd man out if he indeed sent his itinerary at the same time as everyone else.
You make a valid point. But rideless guy has been MIA in email correspondence since providing his flight info over 6 weeks ago. This includes discussions over the last week confirming transportation plans.

But yeah, my wife definitely over extended, albeit in a general way.
FWIW I think your wife clearly locked you in and you will start off the vacation as a bad guy when you assert now that you aren't waiting. You're kind of just the mercy of the others and whether they can help fix this issue.

Maybe offer to pay for the vehicle upgrade at 2:00? Otherwise, I think you're SOL if you do want to "keep the peace."

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I think her response changes the scenario. She committed you two to wait.

Dig your heels in and enjoy a nice meal
To be clear, she responded to the group email, saying we’d “wait for you all to arrive”. Not specifically rideless guy.
So you're waiting for the 6 o'clock guy too?
Not a chance, but I shudder to think how my wife would've responded if he hadn't already booked another vehicle.
But your wife committed to wait for everyone……

You characterized Kelowna as a sleepy little town, but it's actually a thriving metropolis compared to many of the other little towns around BC. 150K people is YUGE in comparison to, say, Salmon Arm or Armstrong. It's got a lively wine scene, world class marijuana farms and some great hikes along the water. Hell, if you've never tried curling, now's your chance!

I guess I'm saying there are worse places in the world to kill a few hours. Grab some lunch, take a little tour of the city and relax with some of the finest BC sticky icky you'll ever find.

Couldn't you claim, you agreed to waiting to drink/eat back at the condo until everyone arrived? As opposed to wait at the airport?

And if she said that six weeks ago, will anyone really remember?

Couldn't you claim, you agreed to waiting to drink/eat back at the condo until everyone arrived? As opposed to wait at the airport?

And if she said that six weeks ago, will anyone really remember?
That is how I took it. When people arrive at different times you just figure it out if there are big gaps. I wouldn't think anybody would take that as an obligation to wait 4 hrs at the airport.

Easy to interpret that you're wife meant you'd wait for everyone at the resort for some apres ski. I don't think her email changes anything.

Look, there's two ways you can go about here:
1. You're the kind of couple who is super into doing the things with the group at all times, in which case you could argue you should wait at the airport
2. You're the kind of couple who's like "we all knew who was arriving when, and we're going with the route most convenient for the most people"

My wife and I are in bucket two.

Then again, we're also in the bucket that would have arranged car(s) in advance and been like "Ok, first four people to claim it are here, next four here, if you have to wait, you're welcome to figure out a better plan for yourself." Lol. I love her.

This is why I never attach myself/my family to a group. Tell me when and where and I’ll make it happen. Or I won’t. Either way, we’re not inconveniencing them, and they’re not inconveniencing us.

Keep the peace? Wait for others? I thought this was a vacation?!?!?
Yeah, my wife and I have done most of our "fun" vacation trips with other couples or family the last few years and, while it took my wife to come to the conclusion longer than me, we have recently agreed that our "fun" vacation trips need to be just us or just our immediate family (i.e. kids coming along). It's just too much stress , unnecessary potential drama, and, at the very least, some inevitable inconvenience or foregoing of an activity to include even the best friends and family (which, to be clear, are who we are vacationing with).
We went back and forth on this a couple times, and now we have 3 kinds of group trips:

1. Group trip, shared burden. You're assigned a part of the trip to plan, and if we didn't plan it, we won't complain about it. If in planning you want advice or to ask opinions, we'll happily provide. When it's our assigned day or whatever, I expect you not to complain or I'll let you know sarcastically that you could have planned the whole trip (which my friends would not be surprised by). Fortunately, my wife and I are both extreme over-preparers, so things we plan tend to go off extremely well and are often met with much happiness. E.g., we went to Argentina last spring with like 3 other couples and a coupe single folks and each couple planned the itinerary for one of the cities we stayed in.

2. We do an anniversary trip every year that is fully planned by us (we take turns, e.g., this year is my turn). We very clearly lay out itinerary, cost, what's optional, what's provided, and what's on you (from food to housing to transit and whatever else). It's pretty take it or leave it.

3. We're going on a trip, we made our plans, and we'll happily tell you our plans and you can figure out how to fit into them if you want but we made our trip planning without other people and you showed up later or freed up an that's cool, but it's not going to cause any headaches for us. Join when and where you'd like. E.g., we went to NZ this fall/winter and some friends found out like 2 weeks before we left (we'd planned for like 6 months) that they'd be there too for like 10 days. So we gave them our itinerary, said "tell us when you'd like to join up," and that was that. We spent a few days together and it was great!

Last edited:

To be clear, she responded to the group email, saying we’d “wait for you all to arrive”. Not specifically rideless guy.
Not a chance, but I shudder to think how my wife would've responded if he hadn't already booked another vehicle.
Good point. So we'll agree to take 2pm guy, then wait another four hours until 6pm straggler, just to make sure his car rental goes OK.

Good point. So we'll agree to take 2pm guy, then wait another four hours until 6pm straggler, just to make sure his car rental goes OK.
Just messing with you. If my family was in this situation, my wife might lobby for that exact scenario.

I might be dumb, but I'm not sure I understand. So your wife emailed early on when everyone sent in flight plans that you guys would be happy to wait around because you get there first Then weeks or months later this guy tries to coordinate a ride and asks a general "anybody else have room?"

Has he asked you guys specifically to take him? To me that sounds like him trying to ask the 2pm group without asking the 2pm group because it would be super weird if they said no. I'd be absolutely mortified to have somebody wait around for 4 hours for me. I think I might rather not go on the vacation than have my buddy and his wife hang around a regional airport for 4+ hours.

If he asked, I wouldn't say no. I feel like your buddy that you asked gets it. If he asks directly, it's just easier to wait the 4 hours. Think about all the time you've spent thinking on this already. It's easier to just say whatever this is the plan now. All but one of your group would get in at the same time, so you wouldn't be losing out on anything really. But there's zero chance that I would offer specifically for him to ride with me. He'd have to ask directly.

I might be dumb, but I'm not sure I understand. So your wife emailed early on when everyone sent in flight plans that you guys would be happy to wait around because you get there first Then weeks or months later this guy tries to coordinate a ride and asks a general "anybody else have room?"

Has he asked you guys specifically to take him? To me that sounds like him trying to ask the 2pm group without asking the 2pm group because it would be super weird if they said no. I'd be absolutely mortified to have somebody wait around for 4 hours for me. I think I might rather not go on the vacation than have my buddy and his wife hang around a regional airport for 4+ hours.

If he asked, I wouldn't say no. I feel like your buddy that you asked gets it. If he asks directly, it's just easier to wait the 4 hours. Think about all the time you've spent thinking on this already. It's easier to just say whatever this is the plan now. All but one of your group would get in at the same time, so you wouldn't be losing out on anything really. But there's zero chance that I would offer specifically for him to ride with me. He'd have to ask directly.
I don’t think anyone put much stock in (or remembers) what my wife said, other than expressing her enthusiasm to see everyone. I certainly don’t think 2 pm rideless guy was counting on a seat in our vehicle based on that early exchange. I also don’t think he was expecting the rest of the 2 pm’ers to offer a seat in their cramped ride. His question, verbatim, minus names, to protect the innocent:
It seems that (2pm SUV-renting guy‘s) car may be full, so not sure if anyone else has room in their vehicle?
People even commented they didn’t know the riderless guy’s itinerary; so I think I wasn’t the only person who missed his initial email. And he never asked us directly for a ride.

My wife and I would definitely miss out by waiting. Depending on our energy level after a red-eye, ~9 hour trip to the Kelowna airport, we could:

a. Check-in early to the Airbnb and nap (or copulate) before everyone else arrives
b. Ski a half-day at Revelstoke
c. Eat a nice meal (probably more decent options at the resort town)

I’d choose any of those options over loitering at the airport for four hours, though I suppose we could explore Kelowna instead. And all that ignores the 2 1/2 hour, unfamiliar winter drive I’ll need to make while exhausted (a certainty, as I cannot sleep on planes).

I must be in the minority but I read threads like this and it sounds like 8th graders asking what should we do..... This is a grown *** man. If you need to keep the peace then that guy can go stay somewhere else

This. I couldn't imagine any of my friends getting butthurt I didn't camp out at a PoDunk airport for 4 hours after a red eye.... let alone a relative stranger.

That would take some balls, IMO. 😂

If a stranger got attitude with me over this I'd literally laugh in his face and ignore the guy if he carried the attitude to the mountain.

I’d choose any of those options over loitering at the airport for four hours, though I suppose we could explore Kelowna instead. And all that ignores the 2 1/2 hour, unfamiliar winter drive I’ll need to make while exhausted (a certainty, as I cannot sleep on planes).
What happened here?

What happened here?
Two people in the 2pm group volunteered to wait at airport for the 6 pm guy, with whom they are much better friends than I am with the rideless guy. This allowed him to leave the airport at 2 with the remaining guy and his son.

Meanwhile, wife and I were able to drive to Revelstoke early, arriving with enough time to ski half a day, claim and use the master bedroom before others got there.

Nobody was upset, or stranded alone.

What happened here?
Two people in the 2pm group volunteered to wait at airport for the 6 pm guy, with whom they are much better friends than I am with the rideless guy. This allowed him to leave the airport at 2 with the remaining guy and his son.

Meanwhile, wife and I were able to drive to Revelstoke early, arriving with enough time to ski half a day, claim and use the master bedroom before others got there.

No need to brag.

one time i was in scranton with a group and we all had separate cars and on sunday when we had to go home everyone went to the airport and just sat around for like 3 or 4 hours because the best thing to do in scranton was wait to leave scranton i guess take that to the bank bromigos

What happened here?

Good thing the FFA solve this one.

Users who are viewing this thread