What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Travel dilemma (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
So my wife and I are getting ready for our annual ski trip next week. We go with a group of 6 other people, mostly classmates of mine. We try to choose a different destination every year.

This year’s trip is Revelstoke, in British Columbia. The resort is about a 2 1/2 drive from the nearest airport, in Kelowna. I don’t know much about it, but I imagine it’s a pretty sleepy town.

Usually we coordinate travel plans, and rent a couple large SUVs (eg. Chevy Suburban). But this year, everyone is arriving at different times. Four people are on the same flight, arriving at 2 pm, but were only able to rent a mid-sized SUV. My wife and I are getting in at 10 am, so we rented another medium SUV. One other guy arrives later, at 6. And the last guy hadn’t given us his flight info, despite a series of emails asking for everyone’s itinerary.

6 pm guy correctly assumes we don’t want to wait around for him, and decides to rent a car on his own. Then the last guy replies, finally, notifying the group he gets in at 2.

The problem is, the 2 pm vehicle is already full. He asks if anyone else can provide a ride. What do you say?

Additional details:

1. 2 pm guy is not a close friend, really a friend of another classmate of mine, who couldn’t come this year.

2. There are shuttles between airport and Revelstoke, though it’s last minute, and availability may be limited.

3. My wife and I will be taking a red-eye flight, and will likely be exhausted. That being said, if we left Kelowna immediately, we could potentially ski an additional half day at Revelstoke.

4. Me, my wife and 6pm guy need to leave Revelstoke one day before than the 2 pm people, as our return flights depart earlier.

I’m inclined to let the rideless guy fend for himself, either by procuring a shuttle, renting a forth vehicle, or waiting for a ride at 6pm.

My wife was hinting she thought we should take him, rather than make 2pm dude wait by himself.

WWYD? Tl;Dr Would you wait four hours in the middle of nowhere for a friend, when you could be doing something else you enjoy? Or let him figure it out on his own, at the worst forcing him to wait 4 hours until the back-up ride arrives?

Last edited:
6pm is reasonable , it is either 1 person waiting 4 hours or 2 people waiting 4 hours.

The least amount of vacation is given up by him waiting till 6.

6pm is reasonable , it is either 1 person waiting 4 hours or 2 people waiting 4 hours.

The least amount of vacation is given up by him waiting till 6.
Yep. Plus this is mostly on his poor planning.

If there wasn’t a 6 pm ride I’d analyze this differently but he’s got an option of equal inconvenience so it’s only fair it’s on him.

Can't the 2 pm car squeeze in a fifth? Or won't there be room for bags?

In any case, it's not on you to wait. Dude will just miss dinner by waiting for 6 pm guy.

Absolutely would not wait. As someone pointed out above, HE should wait 4 hours was 1 person and asking to bum a ride, not 2 of you given the circumstances. Poor planning, possibility of delay, red eye, limited time, etc.

I actually think that's pretty ballsy to ask that when he's clearly hinting you guys to be the ones to accommodate him.

Solutions are:

1. Let him and/or 2pm group do what they can to get a larger vehicle. Then no one has to wait. 2pm guy can pay whatever extra cost.
2. He can suck it up and just get his own car. He can probably get away with a 1 day rental and then bum rides the rest of the trip.
3. He waits until 6pm. And, if he's doing that, he should be offering to get the vehicle ahead of time while waiting so 6pm person can get off the plane and get right in the vehicle instead of having to be delayed for that process.
4.. Shuttle.

2pm poor planning guy has a lot of options to help others and has the audacity to look to inconvenience friends of a friend on a vacation? Eesh.

The only other consideration is if your flight is delayed three hours and instead of you being the 10 a.m. couple, you become the 1 p.m. couple. Makes the decision a bit harder.

Tell your wife those roads from Kelowna to the ski resort are fairly difficult for first time drivers. Very remote too with next to nothing between towns. As a matter of precaution, I'd prefer getting up there early in the day, especially coming off a red eye. Never been to that ski resort but many of those little towns were part of my territory as an auditor. Gorgeous territory.

Tell your wife those roads from Kelowna to the ski resort are fairly difficult for first time drivers. Very remote too with next to nothing between towns. As a matter of precaution, I'd prefer getting up there early in the day, especially coming off a red eye. Never been to that ski resort but many of those little towns were part of my territory as an auditor. Gorgeous territory.
This should seal the deal, get your driving done during the daylight.

I don't think the sun sets at 430

The only other consideration is if your flight is delayed three hours and instead of you being the 10 a.m. couple, you become the 1 p.m. couple. Makes the decision a bit harder.
This is reasonable, but should be Terminal's choice, not poor planning friend's and shouldn't have to commit to it should he arrive on time. He could certainly frame it as "if we have a significant delay, we will have room, but otherwise:

(from gianmarco) Solutions are:

1. Let him and/or 2pm group do what they can to get a larger vehicle. Then no one has to wait. 2pm guy can pay whatever extra cost.
2. He can suck it up and just get his own car. He can probably get away with a 1 day rental and then bum rides the rest of the trip.
3. He waits until 6pm. And, if he's doing that, he should be offering to get the vehicle ahead of time while waiting so 6pm person can get off the plane and get right in the vehicle instead of having to be delayed for that process.
4.. Shuttle."

I just looked. Dude can get a car from Turo in Kelowna for like $35/day. I don't want to assume anything, but if this guy is flying out there to ski, he can swing $150 to not inconvenience others.

I'm also seeing Dodge Durango full size SUV available on various days at Kelowna.

I don't think the sun sets at 430

4:58 in Kelowna and he's heading northeast from there in some mountainous terrain with a lot of 18 wheelers hauling gas and timber on roads with not much in the way of "give". I'd prefer tackling as early as possible when I'm fresh if it's my first time navigating that drive.

It sounds like you know the answer and just need to convince your wife. Just show her this thread. Dude screwed up and didn't reply so the consequences of his screwup are that either he waits 4 hours for his mistake or someone else waits 4 hrs for his mistake. The answer to that is obvious.

Thanks for the input. As an update, I asked the opinion of one of my close friends (groomsman at our wedding, not going with us). He thought I had to offer 2 pm guy a ride, to “keep the peace” during the trip. He also said he wouldn’t be surprised if he turned me down, as he likely understood the initial request to make 2 people wait 4 hours, instead of 1, was unreasonable.

Interesting that both my wife and he contrast with the unanimous opinions of a fantasy sports message board. I’m wondering how much of it has to do with “island culture”, which is heavily influenced by Asian (especially Japanese) mores. I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve been in the minority (pun intended) in handling situations which called for (imo) assertiveness and being non-accommodating.

That said, I went back and reviewed our long email thread for the trip. Sure enough, on December 16, 2pm guy provided his itinerary:
Okay, I found an earlier flight on 2/16. My flight to Kelowna gets in at 1:55 pm
Then, unbeknownst to me, my selfless, extremely patient wife replied:
Hi all,

Hope your holidays are going smoothly...

I booked tickets to Kelowna. Arriving Feb 9th at 10am on Air Canada. We'll wait for you all to arrive...
Does the above exchange change anything?

Other factors:
1. It’s supposed to snow the two days prior to arrival, but only flurries thereafter.

2. The 2pm crowd is trying to upgrade to a large SUV with 3 seating rows (could carry 5 people + loaded ski bags) but unclear availability at this time.

I must be in the minority but I read threads like this and it sounds like 8th graders asking what should we do..... This is a grown *** man. If you need to keep the peace then that guy can go stay somewhere else

I must be in the minority but I read threads like this and it sounds like 8th graders asking what should we do..... This is a grown *** man. If you need to keep the peace then that guy can go stay somewhere else
I’m quite aware of what I should do, but it conflicts with the opinion of my spouse (and as it turns out, my good friend). So I decided to gauge what other people thought.

While I’m not too concerned about it, I can assure you asking that dude to stay elsewhere will not promote peace.

So your wife told everyone you'd wait at the airport for them to arrive? Wtf ........
Yep. Strange thing to volunteer, especially considering no one asked her to do so (at the time).

That being said, I’d rather have an overly patient, generous wife than the alternative.

So my wife and I are getting ready for our annual ski trip next week. We go with a group of 6 other people, mostly classmates of mine. We try to choose a different destination every year.

This year’s trip is Revelstoke, in British Columbia. The resort is about a 2 1/2 drive from the nearest airport, in Kelowna. I don’t know much about it, but I imagine it’s a pretty sleepy town.

Usually we coordinate travel plans, and rent a couple large SUVs (eg. Chevy Suburban). But this year, everyone is arriving at different times. Four people are on the same flight, arriving at 2 pm, but were only able to rent a mid-sized SUV. My wife and I are getting in at 10 am, so we rented another medium SUV. One other guy arrives later, at 6. And the last guy hadn’t given us his flight info, despite a series of emails asking for everyone’s itinerary.

6 pm guy correctly assumes we don’t want to wait around for him, and decides to rent a car on his own. Then the last guy replies, finally, notifying the group he gets in at 2.

The problem is, the 2 pm vehicle is already full. He asks if anyone else can provide a ride. What do you say?

Additional details:

1. 2 pm guy is not a close friend, really a friend of another classmate of mine, who couldn’t come this year.

2. There are shuttles between airport and Revelstoke, though it’s last minute, and availability may be limited.

3. My wife and I will be taking a red-eye flight, and will likely be exhausted. That being said, if we left Kelowna immediately, we could potentially ski an additional half day at Revelstoke.

4. Me, my wife and 6pm guy need to leave Revelstoke one day before than the 2 pm people, as our return flights depart earlier.

I’m inclined to let the rideless guy fend for himself, either by procuring a shuttle, renting a forth vehicle, or waiting for a ride at 6pm.

My wife was hinting she thought we should take him, rather than make 2pm dude wait by himself.

WWYD? Tl;Dr Would you wait four hours in the middle of nowhere for a friend, when you could be doing something else you enjoy? Or let him figure it out on his own, at the worst forcing him to wait 4 hours until the back-up ride arrives?

So this guy wants you to wait four hours instead of himself waiting 4 hours for the 6pm flight?

Thanks for the input. As an update, I asked the opinion of one of my close friends (groomsman at our wedding, not going with us). He thought I had to offer 2 pm guy a ride, to “keep the peace” during the trip. He also said he wouldn’t be surprised if he turned me down, as he likely understood the initial request to make 2 people wait 4 hours, instead of 1, was unreasonable.

Interesting that both my wife and he contrast with the unanimous opinions of a fantasy sports message board. I’m wondering how much of it has to do with “island culture”, which is heavily influenced by Asian (especially Japanese) mores. I can’t tell you how many times over the years I’ve been in the minority (pun intended) in handling situations which called for (imo) assertiveness and being non-accommodating.

That said, I went back and reviewed our long email thread for the trip. Sure enough, on December 16, 2pm guy provided his itinerary:
Okay, I found an earlier flight on 2/16. My flight to Kelowna gets in at 1:55 pm
Hi all,

I booked tickets to Kelowna. Arriving Feb 9th at 10am on Air Canada. We'll wait for you all to arrive...

Other factors:
1. It’s supposed to snow the two days prior to arrival, but only flurries thereafter.

2. The 2pm crowd is trying to upgrade to a large SUV with 3 seating rows (could carry 5 people + loaded ski bags) but unclear availability at this time.

You are screwed.

I think her response changes the scenario. She committed you two to wait.

Dig your heels in and enjoy a nice meal
To be clear, she responded to the group email, saying we’d “wait for you all to arrive”. Not specifically rideless guy.
Ah. Then I think we are back to “due to unpredictable conditions, we are going to try to get to our lodging as early as possible.”

- they try to upgrade to the large suv
- he waits for 6p
- he arranges his own transportation

Yeah it changes things, sorry. Sounds like she's been the point person on this. If she committed you to wait.....and she did, then you should either wait or find a way to accommodate everyone. Kind hard to single him out as the odd man out if he indeed sent his itinerary at the same time as everyone else.

Yeah it changes things, sorry. Sounds like she's been the point person on this. If she committed you to wait.....and she did, then you should either wait or find a way to accommodate everyone. Kind hard to single him out as the odd man out if he indeed sent his itinerary at the same time as everyone else.
You make a valid point. But rideless guy has been MIA in email correspondence since providing his flight info over 6 weeks ago. This includes discussions over the last week confirming transportation plans.

But yeah, my wife definitely over extended, albeit in a general way.

I’m quite aware of what I should do, but it conflicts with the opinion of my spouse (and as it turns out, my good friend). So I decided to gauge what other people thought.

While I’m not too concerned about it, I can assure you asking that dude to stay elsewhere will not promote peace.
No if he's going to make a big deal of it he's an idiot was my point

This is why I never attach myself/my family to a group. Tell me when and where and I’ll make it happen. Or I won’t. Either way, we’re not inconveniencing them, and they’re not inconveniencing us.

Keep the peace? Wait for others? I thought this was a vacation?!?!?

I think her response changes the scenario. She committed you two to wait.

Dig your heels in and enjoy a nice meal
To be clear, she responded to the group email, saying we’d “wait for you all to arrive”. Not specifically rideless guy.
So you're waiting for the 6 o'clock guy too?
Not a chance, but I shudder to think how my wife would've responded if he hadn't already booked another vehicle.

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow
So you're one seat short at 2 o'clock? Guess the best option is get a bigger car if you can find one or cram an extra into the car you have. Otherwise ask for a volunteer to hang back or if you have to draw names. He did send his itinerary the same time as everyone else so doesn't necessarily seem fair to automatically make him odd man out.

Hi all,

Other factors:

Wait, so am I now understanding that this guy did timely provide his itinerary and your wife immediately offered to wait?

If so, then yeah, you need to wait assuming the guy still wants a ride. Your wife locked you in. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread